2021 Texas Baseball

petscii

Tickets for this weekend should be sold online and password protected. 25% capacity with tickets sold indiscriminately at the box office is going to make for a weak home field advantage. 

TCU is up to 50% capacity and is showing our series as “sold out” even though tickets don’t go on sale until next week. Assume it’s so UT fans can’t buy them up

Six regular players this season with an OPS > .800 in Melendez, Zubia, Williams, Daly, Antico, and Hodo with three of those being over .900.  Texas hasn't had that many players with that high of an OPS since prior to 2016 (the earliest year D1Baseball provides data).  Also, interesting to note that Melendez has a slightly higher OPS than Kody did in his final season at Texas.  If he can learn to field 3B competently he could be an interesting prospect to follow after he leaves Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3

TCU's close:  @WVU (7th), TEX (1st), @KSU (6th)  We'll be lucky if they drop one game in those two road series.  Although KSU will have a lot to play for to close out the season.  The Wildcats close with Baylor, Kansas, and then TCU.  They can enter that Frog finale with a conference record a couple games above .500 and very much in line for an at-large bid (they can also pad their resume with 4 non-conf. wins between now and then as that portion of their schedule is a breeze).    

Tech's close:  @TEX (1st), @OKL (8th), KAN (9th)  Even with injuries, it's conceivable they run the table after our series with them and maintain in the mix for a regional host.  

Obviously we're all getting the feeling, but still want to appease the baseball gods, that this thing is absolutely coming down to the last weekend of the year.  With both TCU and us playing series that shouldn't be overlooked by teams that live to spoil seasons for big programs (KSU & WVU).  Conference title, #1 seed in OKC, Super Regional Host, etc.  It is baseball as it should be.  Question is, is there room enough for both Texas and TCU to close out strong, face each other in the tourney title game, and still both garner Super Regional hosting honors.  The 2-1 winner of our series with them has to go 4-2 in other series, the 2-1 loser of our series has to go 5-1.  And both teams need to win at least 2 in OKC, preferably 3.  And we're helped by the fact that there's no much else geographically going on in terms of National 8 seeds in this part of the country until you get over to Arkansas and that Ole Miss is fading a bit from the Top 8 conversation.  

Anyway, it's fun to give a shit about all this again after a crap 2019 season and then Covid last season.  

I couldn't pay attention to the series last weekend as closely as I wanted to, but noticed Cam and Ardoin were out. I know Cam was an ankle tweak or something like that, but didn't hear anything about Silas. Any timetable on their return? 

Edited by Bottlecap

14 hours ago, Noogman said:

Going to the game tomorrow with a buddy of mine. Shouldn’t have a problem walking up to the box office pregame, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can walk right up to it, it's not blocked or anything. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

TCU's close:  @WVU (7th), TEX (1st), @KSU (6th)  We'll be lucky if they drop one game in those two road series. 

I'll definitely take that bet. 

1)  When is the last time WV was swept in Morgantown? I looked at this quickly but I don't think they've been swept at home in the last 5 seasons. 

2) Kansas State is better than their record and much better at home. 18-6 at home. They have a legit Friday night guy and they can hit. K-State can definitely win a game in that series. 

I say TCU goes 4-2 in those series. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'd love that.  I think we both end up 6-3 down the stretch with them probably taking the tie-breaker in Fort Worth.  But that's why we play 'em.  One thing is for sure, we need to sweep one of, thankfully not both, Tech and WVU in Austin.  

And oh yeah, beat the shit outta IWU tonight! 

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We hadn't beaten (or even played) a team projected to be in a regional in over a month. Stacking wins only gets you so far.

yep. we needed that series win over OSU to give us a general stamp of approval.  the south carolina sweep is looking really good.

If we win one of the TCU and Tech series along with winning the WVU series.  we lock a top 8.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yep. we needed that series win over OSU to give us a general stamp of approval.  the south carolina sweep is looking really good.

If we win one of the TCU and Tech series along with winning the WVU series.  we lock a top 8.

People and D1 baseball were undervaluing the Baylor series win. Baylor is now a 2 seed in D1 baseball and have a shot to end up top 25 in RPI. 

Texas should have been getting more credit for that series win on the road. 

Also, Baylor is 19-3 at home with 2 of those losses being to Texas. That Baylor series is going to play with the NCAA committee. 

Edited by texasstrong12

20 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

People and D1 baseball were undervaluing the Baylor series win. Baylor is now a 2 seed in D1 baseball and have a shot to end up top 25 in RPI. 

Texas should have been getting more credit for that series win on the road. 

Also, Baylor is 19-3 at home with 2 of those losses being to Texas. That Baylor series is going to play with the NCAA committee. 

don't disagree with this.  I just think they wanted us as a top 8 and wanted us to beat someone after we lost to sooner and aggy in consecutive games. just keep it going.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

We hadn't beaten (or even played) a team projected to be in a regional in over a month. Stacking wins only gets you so far.

I've watched just about every team out there in the top 8 several times over.

I'll say it again, that we are just now top 8 is laughable.

Stehly has been awesome during Williams little injury stretch here. Awesome having depth again. Guys like Stehly, Campbell, Geib, Powell and Peters would’ve started on most of our teams the last 10 years. 

If Kubicheck can keep the ball down and get those grounders and routine fly balls he’s been reliant on all season, we should be fine on Sunday. Though Kubichek pitching to Jace Jung is a recipe for disaster 

5 hours ago, Fletch said:

Stehly has been awesome during Williams little injury stretch here. Awesome having depth again. Guys like Stehly, Campbell, Geib, Powell and Peters would’ve started on most of our teams the last 10 years. 

If Kubicheck can keep the ball down and get those grounders and routine fly balls he’s been reliant on all season, we should be fine on Sunday. Though Kubichek pitching to Jace Jung is a recipe for disaster 

Bean him then.

• Haha 2

Considering there's three weeks between May 10th and Selection Monday, a lot can happen to that pool of teams.  I get they have to do it this way because of Covid-19. 

Don't make a shit for us.  I think we'll be sweating a Top 8 seed until the last week of the season.  But it's fun to have that much on the line in late May, been awhile for us.  

I know the Baptist’s and the big 12 won’t let us play two on Sunday.  But the game is already scheduled for 2:30p on Sunday.  Surely we can squeeze on an 11am game and still do the 2:30 in case Saturday is a total washout, which it’s looking like.  

kudos to the raiders though for getting to town early so we can get the Friday businessman’s special

Has Covid effected the rules for what constitutes a "finished game" in the Big XII this season?  Is it 5 full/4.5 if home team is up?  Is it 7?  We gotta do all 9?  

I don't see 26-27 innings of weather this weekend unless we squeeze as much in as we can on Sunday.  We obviously have some sort of television/travel exemption for Sunday until 6:00p with that game not starting until 2:30p.  I think we're crazy not to announce later tonight a Sunday 11:00a/2:30p double-header.  We do noon games all the time on Sunday, what's an hour earlier?  That way we can patch together a split-up 9 inning affair as  Friday & Saturday afternoons allow.