2021 Texas Baseball

petscii

33 minutes ago, txhorns said:

So anyone know where to get tickets for the TCU series?  Their website said tickets were going on sale this morning at 8 am but then it went straight to sold out.

They were showing as sold out even before they went on sale. TCU has had a plan to keep Orange out of their park for months now 

3 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Is all of UT baseball sold out? I don't think I've ever looked on there and seen it completely sold out before.

Shouldn't be.  What game are you looking at?  It also may appear that way online but if you walk up to the box office before the game, from what I hear, they almost always have tickets available at the box office

1 minute ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Shouldn't be.  What game are you looking at?  It also may appear that way online but if you walk up to the box office before the game, from what I hear, they almost always have tickets available at the box office

Yea I figured. Online it appears like there are zero tickets available through the box office. Weird.

3 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

Yea I figured. Online it appears like there are zero tickets available through the box office. Weird.

Single Game Tickets

• Only a limited number of single game tickets are available this season. Any available tickets can be purchased in person while supplies last at the UFCU-Disch-Falk Field box office beginning one hour prior to first pitch of each game.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Kody was at the alternate training site and is heading to AAA this season. Seems ahead of schedule

Hamilton to start his pro career in high A 

Cooper with another surgery, the book is just about shut there

Aaand Dodgers reporters are morons. Fantastic for MoCoop

Guest Lobo

30 hours to first pitch of the biggest series of the season.  

I've never seen a ballgame at TCU.  Didn't realize their stadium was so strangely oriented.  Home plate to dead center is NW to SE.  sustained winds will be coming in from the south all weekend at 15-20 in Fort Worth.  So I'm guessing usual gust factor inside a mid-sized ballpark will be 25-30mph.   That seems like it'll be a factor.  

on RPI, I think Texas Southern and Rice are gonna ding us a bit.  Also curious to see what happens to some league teams the weekend that we're off for finale.  TCU takes on LA-Monroe.  They are shitty but have knocked off some good teams (Ok-State, Alabama, LA-Lafayette, Ole Miss), so do not count them out from stealing one from TCU next weekend.  WVU will probably suffer a bit from playing a bad Miami-OH team and an awful Marshall team before we conclude the season with them.  TCU closes with RPI vulnerabilities-UTRGV, Texas State, and Kansas State aside from that possible upset with ULM (1 game of 3 anyway).  

We also need Tech to take 2 of 3 at OU and sweep Kansas to finish out their regular season (their final 4 remaining Non-conf. games are all canceled so they likely have no RPI place to go but up...should be good for us).  

On to Forth Worth...

Edited by Lobo

https://www.hookem.com/story/analysis/podcast/2021/05/06/texas-athletics-tcu-coach-jim-schlossnagle-sam-ehlinger-nfl/4969748001/

If you have the time and can tolerate Bohls and Golden,  above is a lengthy podcast interview with Coach Schlossnagle - sharp guy,  very sharp.   

Good summary of TCU.   Impressed with his knowledge of Texas players.    Thinks TCU and Texas should be top 8.

Note the number of times he says Omaha just in general conversation.   "You don't bang (hit) your way to Omaha,  you pitch your way."   TCU has used 19 pitchers this year trying to find the right mix.

Edited by torre

Guest Lobo
37 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

Looks like ESPNU will broadcast Friday and Saturday games 

Looks like ESPNU announced that several weeks ago.  Why the hell you think we bought so much beer, man?  Try to keep up! 

Guest Lobo

I've heard good things, my wife's sister and husband (no pics) live pretty much within walking distance from it.  I'm gonna "suggest" in 2023 that "Hey, we should go visit your family in Forth Worth" the exact weekend we're playing there.  I did the same thing for football this year.  

All that to say, precisely 8 hours to first pitch.  I'm anxious for the game already, wish it started at 6:00p.  But glad we can see it free on ESPNU at 7:30p.  This has a regional vibe.  

4 hours ago, TornACL said:

It's not a bad place. Would be a lot nicer if it wasn't full of TCU fans. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lupton+Baseball+Stadium+%26+Williams-Reilly+Field/@32.7033815,-97.3823941,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x864e72153ea08aa5:0x3c8b797a0a0b1fc5!8m2!3d32.7027992!4d-97.3721802

https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/0a618306ade513e6f8c7ce8afb260fff01820c0036f0c71448960731c7524a81

Looking at the map,  Lupton faces South  ?

Winds forecast from SSE today 11-14 mph and Sat from S 20-21 mph.    No rain.

Hard to hit the ball out at Lupton, winds typically blowing in from right field.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HoustonFrog said:

Hard to hit the ball out at Lupton, winds typically blowing in from right field.

Thanks for the reply !

Also, concerned about defense and the wind's effect on the catcher's throws, popups, flyballs.   TCU has stolen 80/100,  we are 63/80.  Potential for alot of running.  TCU fielding .979,  we .980.    Texas leads the league in SH with 36,  TCU only 4.    Would expect that TCU has really worked on bunt defense.

Playoff baseball !

Edited by torre

33 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

How in the fuck did we lose to aggy?

.. and no, I don’t want to hear any jihad nonsense.  They are a fucking joke. 

Dude pitched a great game for them. Happens sometimes. They also knocked the shit out at of least 3 balls that went right to Cam, so it could have been worse 

25 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

So the winner of the B12 isn't decided in the B12 Tournament? 

The tournament winner is decided.  The regular season is not.  Even the Big XII itself, which puts on the tournament mostly for self-enrichment, lists Regular Season Champions more prominently than tournament. https://big12sports.com/documents/2021/2/6//2021_Big_12_Baseball_Record_Book.pdf?id=6050

Does the tourney winner get an auto invite to the post-season like basketball?

Guest Lobo

Yes.  Most, but not all, conference tournaments send their champion to the NCAA national tournament.  A handful still use regular season champion like Pac-12 and Big West and Mountain West.  There are no independent teams in Div. I baseball either.  A couple use interesting post-season determinations like the Ivy League which has the top two (not sure if they're doing it this year due to travel) teams face off in a best-of-three with the winner going to the big bracket.  The WCC does just a top-4 format kinda like a regional bracket deal.  I dunno, it's been a few years since I looked at all these.  I'm sure it's different in 2021 for a few leagues.  

the important thing is that Texas plays as many games as it needs to in our tourney in order to secure the best possible Top 8 seed.  And that Stetson wins the Atlantic Sun conference tourney and comes to Austin.  

Guest Lobo

Kinda shitty we're still behind TCU in Baseball America after what happened this weekend.  But RPI/SOS all that really matters in the end. 

Still, Texas Tech shoots up from #13 to #8 in Baseball America.  Cancelling a 4-game series with UI-Chicago was the best thing that could happen to them.  I'm rooting for them to win out versus OU and Kansas and a 2-3 games in the conf. tourney, would help us out a bit more.  

Texas Tech is gonna get paired with either us or TCU in the Super Regionals.  Unless the Pac-12 gets two Top-8 sites instead of 1 (Arizona Still seems likely but nobody else).  

I also don't see us getting in the game with Texas Southern tomorrow night.  Weather looks pretty dicey, 60-70% chance of area-wide thunderstorms (some possibly severe).  May end up helping our RPI anyway.  It's their final regular season game so they'll likely do whatever they can to fit it in, but we start final exams the next day so not much of a window.  We can still get a tuneup in a week later with Rice before we finish with what is now a must-sweep series WVU to overtake TCU and take the Flag.  I had high hopes for KSU being able to take 1 from TCU and help us out, but after their weekend in Waco...that ain't gonna happen.  Gonna be a quiet 9 days or so for Horns baseball while the rest of the nation sorts itself out. 

Edited by Lobo