2021 Texas Baseball

petscii

Guest Lobo

We're usually very stringent about no baseball games on the weekdays of final exams (the Tuesday finals end is the usually our next game---in this case, Rice).  We even quit doing the Saturday non-conf. double-header during finals a few years back that was a usual schedule marker at UT since I was in undergrad.  I'd like more baseball, but in the end it would probably help us more in seeding not to play this game.  And the rain and calendar will ultimately decide.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Kinda shitty we're still behind TCU in Baseball America after what happened this weekend.  But RPI/SOS all that really matters in the end. 

Still, Texas Tech shoots up from #13 to #8 in Baseball America.  Cancelling a 4-game series with UI-Chicago was the best thing that could happen to them.  I'm rooting for them to win out versus OU and Kansas and a 2-3 games in the conf. tourney, would help us out a bit more.  

Texas Tech is gonna get paired with either us or TCU in the Super Regionals.  Unless the Pac-12 gets two Top-8 sites instead of 1 (Arizona Still seems likely but nobody else).  

I also don't see us getting in the game with Texas Southern tomorrow night.  Weather looks pretty dicey, 60-70% chance of area-wide thunderstorms (some possibly severe).  May end up helping our RPI anyway.  It's their final regular season game so they'll likely do whatever they can to fit it in, but we start final exams the next day so not much of a window.  We can still get a tuneup in a week later with Rice before we finish with what is now a must-sweep series WVU to overtake TCU and take the Flag.  I had high hopes for KSU being able to take 1 from TCU and help us out, but after their weekend in Waco...that ain't gonna happen.  Gonna be a quiet 9 days or so for Horns baseball while the rest of the nation sorts itself out. 

Wicks could beat TCU, so I do hold out some hope for KSU taking one of those games.

Guest Lobo

^

I will agree to agree.  TCU's offense has been jeckyl/hyde lately.  Wicks catches 'em on a day like we did Saturday & Sunday of this weekend for his start, he can certainly turn the lights out on the Frogs.  

Plus, we all know home field advantage in baseball isn't like hoops or football, but it's something.  I guess it's just damn Manhattan, but don't overlook how well KSU has played at home this season.  Second best home record in league play, and 22-6 at home overall.  Nothing to sneeze at.  They take 1 or 2 from TCU and make some noise in the tourney, they're looking at an at-large bid and likely #3 seed.  They still have something to play for after shitting the bed in Waco.  They need to sweep Kansas first this weekend, but we all need to be Wildcats fans later this month.  

2 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Wicks could beat TCU, so I do hold out some hope for KSU taking one of those games.

Think KSU’s best chance for a W is on Sunday with TCU’s unsettled starter situation there. Looks like Wicks got demoted to Saturday last weekend vs BU, but their new Friday guy got absolutely battered so maybe Wicks moves back

7 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

I bet they move Texas Southern to Wednesday.

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

We're usually very stringent about no baseball games on the weekdays of final exams (the Tuesday finals end is the usually our next game---in this case, Rice).  We even quit doing the Saturday non-conf. double-header during finals a few years back that was a usual schedule marker at UT since I was in undergrad.  I'd like more baseball, but in the end it would probably help us more in seeding not to play this game.  And the rain and calendar will ultimately decide.  

Good point !

TCU/UTRGV  cancelled for Tues due to UTRGV health concerns (allegedly).   

6 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

aggy talking about Childress...end of contract year, and probably not being retained....from secrant:

I’m sure we’ll swing for the fences. Tadlock, Schloss, Vitello will be at the top of the list. None seem likely to me, but people who know better than I say otherwise.

Impossible.  Two BDF coaches are better than their coach?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

aggy talking about Childress...end of contract year, and probably not being retained....from secrant:

I’m sure we’ll swing for the fences. Tadlock, Schloss, Vitello will be at the top of the list. None seem likely to me, but people who know better than I say otherwise.

Lol

Also amazing that every slap dick on every message board has inside connections with "people who know better".

I was looking at Texas Southern's baseball stats and they only have 1 pitcher that has a sub 6.00 ERA. How is that possible? 

Also, the pitcher with the best ERA is former Texas player Kam Fields. Doesn't look like he's been all that spectacular either with a 4.87 ERA. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Just now, Fletch said:

Yeah that’s Cam Fields alright. Kinda wish we gave him a shot in the outfield. He had a nice short compact swing but whatever. Good on him for getting his degree 

True but I think he wants to be a pitcher. Looks like he's also struggled at Texas Southern against lesser competition as a pitcher and hasn't been in the lineup. 

Maybe football was his better sport. He did have D1 offers in football. 

8 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I think Schloss going to A&M would be beneficial for Texas if Saarloos is the next coach at TCU. 

The thing TCU has going for them is the combo of Schloss and Saarloos. Schloss was pretty good before Saarloos but they really made a jump once they hired Saarloos in '12.

I get the feeling that Saarloos and Schloss would both take a step back without each other. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think Schloss going to A&M would be beneficial for Texas if Saarloos is the next coach at TCU. 

The thing TCU has going for them is the combo of Schloss and Saarloos. Schloss was pretty good before Saarloos but they really made a jump once they hired Saarloos in '12.

I get the feeling that Saarloos and Schloss would both take a step back without each other. 

What’s the benefit for schloss moving to atm? A shitty campus in a shitty town with a pretty tough division vs pretty much having tcu be a top 10 every year. But then again aggy would offer him like a 7 year $60mil contract then give him a cws championship trophy with an open date on it then be good enough to be our yearly 3 seed. Fuck yeah, aggy! Pull the trigger! 

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

What’s the benefit for schloss moving to atm? A shitty campus in a shitty town with a pretty tough division vs pretty much having tcu be a top 10 every year. But then again aggy would offer him like a 7 year $60mil contract then give him a cws championship trophy with an open date on it then be good enough to be our yearly 3 seed. Fuck yeah, aggy! Pull the trigger! 

No clue but Schloss has looked around before. He was right in the mix for the Miss State job. My understanding is TCU thought he was going to take that Miss State job. 

I actually think Schloss ends up at A&M but it's a total guess. On the surface it would be a very good hire but without Saarloos it becomes very meh unless he can land some legit assistants. Saarloos is their stud recruiter and the guy that's developed their pitching. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Not to mention it’s aggy, where coaches go to die so yeah bring it on. Tcu takes a step back, atm becomes a perennial 2/3 seed in the Austin regional and we get to end their season every year again. Hey! We may even match in some super regionals! Just whatever it takes to give me that satisfaction of ending those obnoxious little fuckwads season every year again

• Like 1

Schloss has a top 5 team, is likely paid pretty good at TCU, is in the middle of a recruiting hot bed, and has to be better than 2-3 teams every year instead of 5-7. Why would he leave, especially considering there has been an obvious path to Omaha from Fort Worth, much, much moreso than one from Texas A&M?

It would maybe make sense for Sarloos to do it, considering he hasn't been a head coach yet and would be moving up. It'd be a challenge.

Taadlock isn't fucking leaving. 

Maybe they should make a run a Mainieri or the guy from Michigan.

12 minutes ago, randygilman said:

Schloss has a top 5 team, is likely paid pretty good at TCU, is in the middle of a recruiting hot bed, and has to be better than 2-3 teams every year instead of 5-7. Why would he leave, especially considering there has been an obvious path to Omaha from Fort Worth, much, much moreso than one from Texas A&M?

On the other hand, he doesn't really have anything else to prove at TCU and aggy will try to money whip him.

28 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Is Tadlock an aggy alum? 

Does that REALLY matter?  "There is no way in hell Chris Beard would leave Texas Tech at this point.  None."

No asterisks, no equivocation.  There was no way . . . but there was.

Texas Tech fans are highly inclined to overestimate their school's draw.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Does that REALLY matter?  "There is no way in hell Chris Beard would leave Texas Tech at this point.  None."

No asterisks, no equivocation.  There was no way . . . but there was.

Texas Tech fans are highly inclined to overestimate their school's draw.

What is your point?  The Tech fans who thought that were wrong because they (purposely) underestimated the draw of Beard to his alma mater.  That doesn't mean they are wrong about Tadlock.

Aggy will money whip a coach so they can beat their chest and proclaim the worm has turned. I'd like Tadlock to stay at Tech. He's a good coach and makes the conference better. I agree with the point above that Schloss and Saar are better together than apart, so aggy would need to hire both, but that ain't happening.

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

What is your point?  The Tech fans who thought that were wrong because they (purposely) underestimated the draw of Beard to his alma mater.  That doesn't mean they are wrong about Tadlock.

My point is that it was a light-hearted comment and y'all need to chill the fuck out.  Gunzup, bitches!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hourly forecast currently showing 95% chance of thunderstorms at 6 PM.

Man I am so fired up after last weekend it is hard to wait around for the next game. Especially since we have almost two weeks until the next three game series.

I hope they do not cancel this game. I hope they play it tomorrow if they cannot fit in somewhere tonight. I want to end the regular season on a six game winning streak.

7 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Aggy will money whip a coach so they can beat their chest and proclaim the worm has turned. I'd like Tadlock to stay at Tech. He's a good coach and makes the conference better. I agree with the point above that Schloss and Saar are better together than apart, so aggy would need to hire both, but that ain't happening.

Losing he or Schloss would be rough but I have confidence Tech or TCU could find a good replacement while whomever A&M hires gets buried in their traditional mediocrity.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Losing he or Schloss would be rough but I have confidence Tech or TCU could find a good replacement while whomever A&M hires gets buried in their traditional mediocrity.

Shlorsnoogie can go, because f TCU.  I hope Tadlock stays where he is, because f aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

Is Tadlock an aggy alum? 

Tech alum, born in Denton.

2 hours ago, randygilman said:

It would maybe make sense for Sarloos to do it, considering he hasn't been a head coach yet and would be moving up. It'd be a challenge.

Taadlock isn't fucking leaving. 

Maybe they should make a run a Mainieri or the guy from Michigan.

As @texasstrong12 earlier mentioned,  Schlossnagle was very close to taking the Miss St job (see below) and some reports say he turned down the job.    So like all successful coaches,  he is not afraid of another conference.   You have to wonder about his relationship with the new AD Donati and the need for upgrades to their facilities.   He has mentioned that the cost of tuition is an issue for recruiting.

Per reports,  Saarloos turned down the Stanford job a couple of years ago in his home state.   He may be content as a pitching guru.

As mentioned,  best for all if Schloss and Tadlock stay in B12.    We need a strong RPI conference.   I hope aggy settles for Matt Deggs, former asst coach, and now head coach at ULL.    

With TCU’s season coming to a crushing end on Sunday, the reports are still floating that head coach Jim Schlossnagle is strongly considering leaving Fort Worth to become the next head coach at Mississippi State.

Money does not appear to be a driving factor here, as Schlossnagle makes $1.5 million per year, making him one of the highest-paid coaches in the sport.

On Sunday evening Schlossnagle said, “I love Fort Worth, I love TCU. If they call me, we’ll see what they have to say. I’ve shown my loyalty to TCU over and over for 15 years and TCU and Fort Worth have been incredible to my family.”

tps://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2018/05/29/reports-jim-schlossnagle-still-considering-leaving-tcu-for-mississippi-state/?__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=7f53f84a03404fd9ea9d8d0c325ddb9271ee53a1-1620754944-0-AaImmcsoNLQ5VmAfT-U7sDPZUezSdO

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If you didn't see in the other thread, D1Baseball has us as the #3 seed.

https://d1baseball.com/projections/projected-field-of-64-may-11/

That a very fucking ideal regional and super regional pairing. Kubicheck against Bryant, Madden in the winners bracket then Stevens and Hanson to finish off Michigan or Miami. It’s been awhile since we ended Miami’s season. Wanna say 03? Well yeah, let’s do that again. Then pound whoever makes it out of who’s who of meh from the Ruston regional