2021 Texas Baseball

petscii

44 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So just throw him out there at the back end with Witt and el cobra?  Or does Witt go to starter next season?

If a guy is going to come out of the pen to become a starter, Witt probably has the best chance next year imo. His pitch count has been up in the high 40s a couple times I believe and he’ll only get stronger in the offseason.  It will be interesting how next year plays out with Nixon and Duplantier. Last year Duplantier was going to be our closer; he had 3 saves with a total of 8 relief appearances. If Witt has the ability to start next year I would put Nixon in Witts role that he has now and let Duplantier become our closer. Side note, Duplantier also had 2 starts at third last year, too. 

Got it, but that walk-off hr for the lone Vol W was what I was talking about.  In that moment Pig got skewered.

And I will let no one talk me out of my enjoyment of that moment.

1st loss all year after leading in the 8th.

Speaking of resumes... How about the Nevada Wolf Pack, 21-17, currently 27th in RPI, 11-2 since they lost both midweek games to Texas. What looked like two, hold your breath thank god we survived one run midweek victories, has turned into two quality wins against a scrappy ballclub. Likely going to be the Mountain West champs.

2 hours ago, chase25 said:

Speaking of resumes... How about the Nevada Wolf Pack, 21-17, currently 27th in RPI, 11-2 since they lost both midweek games to Texas. What looked like two, hold your breath thank god we survived one run midweek victories, has turned into two quality wins against a scrappy ballclub. Likely going to be the Mountain West champs.

Weirdly enough, I don’t think that’s even surprising. 

I think most here realized Nevada was pretty good and definitely better than their record. Their RPI is now catching up with how good they are. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo

Comment section on there already getting funny.  SEC fans complaining Texas shouldn't move up in rankings because we didn't play last week.  Basically SEC fans...teams in front of us lost.  We moved up.  We didn't play because our players were doing this weird thing called studying and taking actual final exams.  Novel concept in your league outside of Nasvhille.

Guest Lobo

Damn, quite a tumble by TCU.  #6 to #14  

There are better baseball minds than mine on here.  And there are sure as shit better weather minds on here (I'm still proud of my 'barely' C- in Troy Kimmel's weather and climate class at UT).  But we gotta start thinking about what happens if we don't get 3 games in WVU this week (Thu-Sat).  Standings defer first to winning percentage, before GB/head-to-head tiebreakers.  TCU is in Manhattan from Thu-Sat, where there's just 30% of storms during the series.  They'll get all 27 innings completed.  We'll be lucky to get in two games with our forecast.  We can't overtake, or match them, unless we get at least 2 in.  Even if KSU were to steal one from TCU this weekend, and we only played two and won them...we'd still finish behind the Frogs...tiebreaker be dammed.  

(Dustin McComas) Explaining the process, in nerdy detail, behind Pete Hansen rediscovering his form

Spoiler

If you've followed our reporting and commentary or listened to David Pierce, you knew at the beginning of the 2021 season Pete Hansen was behind schedule. The sophomore lefty didn’t throw much during UT’s fall offseason, was COVID-19 positive during the preseason, and was trying to play catch-up for, basically, half the season. That’s not a good place for a starting pitcher to be.

As a starting pitcher, playing catch-up is very difficult. Push the body too hard to quickly or compensate for lack of endurance with different mechanics and an injury can occur. It’s a temptation difficult to avoid if the results on the field are lacking, and for Hansen, it was obvious during his first outings he wasn’t the same left-hander who finished a shortened 2020 season with a 0.00 ERA.

Sure, Hansen generated satisfactory statistical results while pitching with a limited pitch count. However, the lefty’s stuff didn’t look the same, and it wasn’t just the velocity, which was down in the 84-87 MPH range routinely. The way the ball was coming out of Hansen’s hand was different, impacting all his stuff - fastball velocity and shape, breaking stuff and changeup. Unintentionally, Hansen was cutting his fastball.

Physically, he was fine besides trying to build his body and arm back up to being able to throw deep into games, and following the lead of Ty Madden and Tristan Stevens in recent weeks led to a stronger Hansen with better mental and physical endurance on the mound. But in order for him to regain form similar to his fantastic 2020 season, Hansen needed to re-discover his release point. First, Texas had to understand the issue, though.

How does that happen? First, the eyeballs usually pick up on something being off. Whether it’s the shape of the pitch visually, the way it plays or the scouting element of recognizing a change in release point, the eyes usually pick up something first. Actually, Trackman would be the first to spot something.

Trackman is a Doppler radar system that tracks, for pitchers, release speed, spin rate, spin axis, release height, release side, extension, vertical and horizontal release angle, vertical and horizontal movement and more. Texas has been using the system for years, led by Director of Player Personnel and Analytics, Ryan Monsevalles. So, if the eyeballs are seeing something, Trackman can confirm it or vice versa; perhaps something looks off on Trackman, in this case the release, spin and shape, and the eyeballs can confirm it.

And if the eyeballs need a closer look, Texas can bring out the Edgertronic Baseball Camera for a bullpen session, which is the type of thing a weekend off from games is good for. The high-speed, hi-res camera shoots 500 frames per second at highest resolution and up to 17,000+ frames per second, according to Driveline Baseball. Why is that sort of thing useful? Imagine being able to film a pitcher throwing a bullpen at full speed and then being able to see every single revolution the ball takes as it approaches home plate and how it comes out of the hand. If a pitcher is cutting his fastball, Edgertronic cameras can provide the exact frames when a ball comes off a pitcher’s fingertips.

Armed with all the technology needed and the expertise and coaching to utilize it, Texas can discover, analyze, and confirm many pitching issues, like Hansen unintentionally cutting his fastball. I guess I should explain why that’s a bad thing because some of y’all are probably reading about a cutter and thinking that’s not so bad. Since it’s unintentional, it negatively impacts the efficiency of Hansen’s four-seam fastball; batters are able to more quickly recognize the pitch because its spin isn’t an efficient four-seam spin and command can suffer. Combine that with lower velocity, and you have a problem.

Hansen hasn’t completely corrected the issue, but he and the Longhorns have made major strides in recent outings. Texas knew that where his hand was, too close to his head, at the release of pitches was negatively influencing the way the ball came out of his hand; Hansen’s release point reached higher than it did in 2020, and recent outings have seen it get back closer to his normal, 2020 slot. It isn’t a coincidence the results have followed. Across his last 25.0 innings, Hansen has a 1.08 ERA with 18 strikeouts and just four walks. In his three starts during that time, he’s thrown 92, 94 and 95 pitches and has been able to face a lineup a third time routinely.

In particular against TCU, Hansen’s fastball began to play up again; meaning, hitters were reacting to the pitch uncomfortably like it had more velocity than it actually did. Hansen hasn’t regained all of his velocity, although it has ticked up slightly. But as he’s proven in recent outings against good offenses like Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and TCU, Hansen can be more than effective working at 86-89 MPH with a four-seam fastball possessing better shape. That’s not the only thing about Hansen’s pitch arsenal that’s changed, though.

Against TCU, Hansen started incorporating his two-seam fastball to his arm-side (in on lefties and away from righties) while also increasing his changeup usage while working only with a slider as his breaking ball. This is a great example of Sean Allen at work, recognizing Hansen making progress and incorporating more changeups because of it. Although his changeup basically has fastball velocity, its late, diving action and appearance of a fastball allowed it to be one of Hansen’s most effective pitches against TCU. It’s another example of the value of pitch shapes because in the case of Hansen, he threw three different pitches around the same velocity that all acted differently.

So, here we are. Hansen finally made the move into the Sunday spot of the rotation like he was going to do when the 2020 season ended, and David Pierce exercised the patience to handle Hansen with care before inserting him back into the rotation. Hansen isn't the same pitcher he was then, but he’s getting closer to being just as effective. And his hard work is paying off. It couldn’t be happening at a better time for Texas, but just know there are a lot of things and a lot of time behind the scenes that goes into making the types of changes Hansen has shown recently.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think most here realized Nevada was pretty good and definitely better than their record. Their RPI is now catching up with how good they are. 

^^^This.

I went to both of those games and was surprised at their record as they seemed to play good fundamental baseball and had some talent too. Thought then that they would improve throughout the season.

8 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I wasn't surprised that they hit well, but their pitching stats were absolutely abysmal coming into Austin. Guess they've pitched better?

On 5/16/2021 at 5:46 AM, Cajun said:

Well, pig got stuck yesterday.

Nice and good too.

You mean THE OmaHogs? How? In 2018 I was assured by Arkansas fans that I’ve never seen a baseball team like what they have now. Guess they forgot about 2004 when the game was over after the 2nd and we won 13-2 as they went 2 and q

Guest Lobo

With WVU likely needing to head home Saturday night or Sunday morning, so they can turn around and come back to OKC Monday so they do the play-in game with Kansas on Tuesday night in OKC........I don't see how we can press any later than Saturday night to get these three games in.  And we're looking at shitty, wet field conditions on Thursday.  Hopefully we can fashion together a double-header either on Friday or Saturday with all the rain. 

Because even if we take 2 from WVU (with a rainout on the 3rd game be it on Thursday or Sunday), and KSU does steal one from TCU (which I really think they can between Manhattan voodoo and Wicks on the mound against a batting order that's been struggling lately).........we remain a half game behind TCU with no way to cover the ground.  A tied record and we're golden, even if the bullshit conference trophy says "co-champs"....we're the best team in the league with the #1 seed in the tourney and the benefit of both those things in the bigger bracket.  But we miss so much as one game this weekend, even if it's called in the 4th or 5th, we'll be stuck behind them.  

Only thing I hate relying on more than the weather in Texas is the baseball in Kansas.  

Guest Lobo

Meh, it'd be fun to tee off on Rice pitching this year but 80% of thunderstorms from tomorrow afternoon thru Wednesday afternoon.  I don't see them bothering to make the trip over.  Our guys could use the rest after finals to reboot and focus on sweeping WVU.  But whatever PhDhorn's weather forecast and Pierce's sage wisdom have in store for us...I fully support.  

Shit, we need to start figuring out as soon as Wednesday evening how/when to fit in 21-27 innings with WVU this sloptastic week.  It's wetter than South Austin's mom during Jonas Brothers cover-band contest night at Butler Pitch 'n Putt. Or something, I dunno.  Lovely woman.  Let's get two!

14 hours ago, ATXHorn94 said:

Just because some "experts" think we are the 2nd best team in America doesn't mean Pierce shouldn't be lucky to retain his job after displaying so many send/don't send errors on 3rd base this season. 

My personal opinion is that no manager should ever manage from the coaches box, especially third base.  At least one job will suffer, and more likely both.  I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express, nor do I get paid a buttload to manage a world class college baseball program.  I do have my moments though

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, Lobo said:

Damn, quite a tumble by TCU.  #6 to #14  

There are better baseball minds than mine on here.  And there are sure as shit better weather minds on here (I'm still proud of my 'barely' C- in Troy Kimmel's weather and climate class at UT).  But we gotta start thinking about what happens if we don't get 3 games in WVU this week (Thu-Sat).  Standings defer first to winning percentage, before GB/head-to-head tiebreakers.  TCU is in Manhattan from Thu-Sat, where there's just 30% of storms during the series.  They'll get all 27 innings completed.  We'll be lucky to get in two games with our forecast.  We can't overtake, or match them, unless we get at least 2 in.  Even if KSU were to steal one from TCU this weekend, and we only played two and won them...we'd still finish behind the Frogs...tiebreaker be dammed.  

You're concerning yourself with the wrong thing. And I know that I made a big deal about it sucking to lose the B12 but when we lost on Saturday I had resigned our fate to almost assuredly finishing 2nd. We are past that. 

Basically the leading baseball poll in the country has us at #2. Right now (to plagiarize) the only thing that's left to do is win the whole fuckin' thing. 

Whoever commented about us breaking TCU during that Friday night game gets what this team is capable of - and that is ruining dreams and ambitions while we put our nuts on the plate and dare you to beat us. This team will go into the 8th inning down 4 runs and not give a fuck. 

I'm not sure we are even close to a guarantee to make the CWS - but I know for an absolute fact this team is capable of winning a national championship (good God when's the last time that was the case with any big 3 squad?).

So, why don't we go fuck around and do that?

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3

Guest Lobo

Yes, I agree.  I would also just like to pickup this one piece of hardware that's so close to within our grasp.  Just don't want the rain to fuck it up, that's all.  I know it's not going to terribly effect our RPI or seeding one way or the other if were to finish .5 games behind TCU.  But I'm old school when it comes to baseball.  Pennants in MLB, Conference Trophies in NCAA.  Obviously the World Series in MLB or Omaha is the big price, but it's good to pickup merch along the way. 

Here's the just released bracket projections from collegesportsmadness:

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/19470

They're off as much as the others, but something to read Tuesday because I don't see how we're playing Rice at this point.  

They have us with LSU, Tulane, and Murray State as #3 overall.

TCU still clinging to #6 overall, which is horseshit at this point with UCLA, Dallas Baptist, and Campbell.

Texas Tech at #9 overall, with Stanford, Alabama, and Oral Roberts.  Baylor to #12 Arizona as a #2 in Tucson.  

Big riser is Oklahoma State as a #1 seed at the LA Tech (#14) regional.  With VA Tech and SE Louisiana 

Under this scenario, which Is actually quite plausible...Texas would pair with OSU/LAtech winner in Supers.  

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yes, I agree.  I would also just like to pickup this one piece of hardware that's so close to within our grasp.  Just don't want the rain to fuck it up, that's all.  I know it's not going to terribly effect our RPI or seeding one way or the other if were to finish .5 games behind TCU.  But I'm old school when it comes to baseball.  Pennants in MLB, Conference Trophies in NCAA.  Obviously the World Series in MLB or Omaha is the big price, but it's good to pickup merch along the way.

Yeah but we aren't chasing TCU for conference championships. We are chasing USC and LSU for national championships. 

The B12 reg season title means something to me because it displays that in conference play we were the best team in our conference. While that technically might not end up being true this year - we are still probably the best team in our conference overall and so it becomes a bit more moot and easier to stomach when I know that this team has the potential to win against anyone in Omaha. 

I mean shit - we have a guy on our team that threw a complete game shutout earlier this season. We have pitchers that are striking out multiple batters in the same inning on the road up 1 with RISP against a top 5 team. We have a guy that switch-hit home runs in the same fucking game. And if Faltine isn't the best defensive short stop in the country holy shit I want to see the guy that is. 

This team fucks. It won't fuck less if TCU wins a regular season baseball title.. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 4

Man this sucks having our games rained out.

Ah well at least we will be well rested to sweep West Virginia.

I hate being matched up with Stanford, UCLA, and UC Irvine. The west coast schools are usually very fundamentally sound and significantly under-rated. 

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

You are a fucking idiot.

Yeah tejas buddy I love ya but that was....not the smartest comment. Has Pierce always coached 3rd? Wouldn’t mind putting Allen over there next year. Or this weekend. Either/or