2021 Texas Baseball

petscii

For perspective.  We went over 700 days without winning a conference series.   I know this happened during covid, but it also happened a few years before covid.  Going to Palo Alto every other year you knew they were going to lose the series.  It was a miss match.  It was humiliating as a fan to walk out of Sunken Diamond sometimes because of how soundly we beat ourselves.  I don't mind when we play hard and leave it all on the field but fucking up game after game is hard to watch.  Teams were not afraid of us. The Tuesday teams we scheduled were not afraid of us.  It was terrible to have Cajun (love you bud!) horn come in after every loss and explain in great detail how we sucked.

I bet you a dollar there is not a team in the country that wants to see Texas at a regional / super regional next year.  

I'm excited, I've followed this team long enough for them run off two of the winningest coaches in baseball history.  David Pierce might be the third.

If he did finished 5th at tulane/ULL he'd be the next coach at LSU right now.  If you read tiggerdroppings they are constantly trying to throw out the coach too same as us losers.

We finished 3rd this year, we lost tight games.  We were never humiliated at the plate or on the field.

TEXAS BASEBALL IS BACK.

Edited by petscii
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

we spent a month in the post season with these guys, the greatest post season event in all of college sports, possibly all of sports period.  loved every minute of it.  that week in Omaha was quite special.  Kids battled, finished where they belonged, in the last few days of the season, top 4.  I'll take that all day long, odds prove if we hang out there, the program will do well and bring home some hardware.  hook 'em horns.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

He might have made our team look silly at the plate the first game, but I wouldn't say they were humiliated when they were a cunt hair away from winning that game.

The team wasn't humiliated as a whole. But come on, we barely touched the baseball. It was most certainly a humiliating day at the plate. I mean, we would have had the same number of runs had it just been Bednar and a catcher out there. But I think that helped drive us in our next games when the bats definitely showed a lot more. 

Edited by Dahobbs

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

The team wasn't humiliated as a whole. But come on, we barely touched the baseball. It was most certainly a humiliating day at the plate. I mean, our score would have been the same had it just been Bednar and a catcher out there. But I think that helped drive us in our next games when the bats definitely showed a lot more. 

Uh yeah.  Are we really splitting hairs over whether a team that struck out 21 times was embarrassed or not?  That's 7 full innings of being struck out.  Everyone with an AB had at least 1 strikeout, with four guys having 3. 

We also had 18 K versus MSU the first time, 11 the third time, 15 against Arkansas and 13 against Ole Miss.  

I don't really care if we were a "cunt hair" away from winning - that was more on Madden than anything we did offensively. 

On 6/26/2021 at 3:08 PM, UnhappilyMarried said:

Believe Pete will be 1 month too young to be draft eligible this year so no worries there

His Dad indicated that he is draft eligible when asked in the hotel lobby.  We will have to fuck around and find out.

Ah damn. Extra heart-break this year.

But somebody needs to explain to me what is going on. So Major League Baseball got rid of a ton of minor league teams? No more Rookie Ball or Short Season A Ball? Just A, AA, AAA, and the parent club? So only 20 rounds? Sounds like a Godsend for College Baseball, if pretty terrible for young players wanting a pro career. Is that permanent or just a temporary Covid thing? 

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Ah damn. Extra heart-break this year.

But somebody needs to explain to me what is going on. So Major League Baseball got rid of a ton of minor league teams? No more Rookie Ball or Short Season A Ball? Just A, AA, AAA, and the parent club? So only 20 rounds? Sounds like a Godsend for College Baseball, if pretty terrible for young players wanting a pro career. Is that permanent or just a temporary Covid thing? 

They were on their way out but like many antiquated things, Covid-19 expedited their exits.  Short-A was on its way out anyway.  I think Rookie will continue in some new incarnation because MLB teams still maintain those spring training complexes for in-season simulation games, injury rehabs, etc.  Those guys will get paid even less and have even less of a chance at moving up the MiLB pecking order.  But guys will get shitty advice and take their $500 signing bonus for a 40th round pick and go play twice a week in Sarasota for food money instead of going to college.  

The draft will resume again to 40-50 rounds, probably by 2023.  But MLB parent clubs are not gonna carry the financial burden of 6-7 minor league clubs and all the signing bonuses that go with that each year.  They've been trying to monetize viewing experiences of minor league ball for a decade and it hasn't worked out.  And with the foreign pipeline only getting more robust, no need to maintain that many roster spots and signing allocations for some white JuCo kid to work out his breaking balls hit for 5 years in Low-A.  Even with Low & High A, the teams that had multiple teams at those levels have consolidated them.  I think you'll end up with some hybrid of Rookie/Instructional that also serves as the Spring Training Complex team for even worse pay.  One Low-A, one High-A, AA, and AAA with a foreign developmental franchise that's somewhere between A-AA housed down South.  That Low-A will be default for 90% of each year's draft picks.  If you're not outta there in 3 seasons, you're cut.  That 5-year rule is gonna get changed soon anyhow.  Maybe come up with a hybrid rule for years in MiLB play and/or college baseball.   

This should be a golden era for NCAA baseball.  Let teams give more scholarship dollars (maybe move it up to 15.0 to start with), and with the compressed minor league roster spots/signing allocations...we could have a product just as good as college basketball in a few years.  Of course, that makes sense so the NCAA will fuck it up.  

But I am encouraged by the fact that the NCAA and MLB have worked it out pretty well to come up with reasonable dates to get drafted, not sign, and go to/back to college.  Maybe they can find mutually beneficial middle-ground on the new draft/MiLB landscape.  Ownership groups aren't opposed to giving more breaks/money to college programs.  But I think they're done with the financial burden of excess layers of minor league ball and the college players who wallow there for lotsa cash with little payoff.  

20 hours ago, Lobo said:

They were on their way out but like many antiquated things, Covid-19 expedited their exits.  Short-A was on its way out anyway.  I think Rookie will continue in some new incarnation because MLB teams still maintain those spring training complexes for in-season simulation games, injury rehabs, etc.  Those guys will get paid even less and have even less of a chance at moving up the MiLB pecking order.  But guys will get shitty advice and take their $500 signing bonus for a 40th round pick and go play twice a week in Sarasota for food money instead of going to college.  

The draft will resume again to 40-50 rounds, probably by 2023.  But MLB parent clubs are not gonna carry the financial burden of 6-7 minor league clubs and all the signing bonuses that go with that each year.  They've been trying to monetize viewing experiences of minor league ball for a decade and it hasn't worked out.  And with the foreign pipeline only getting more robust, no need to maintain that many roster spots and signing allocations for some white JuCo kid to work out his breaking balls hit for 5 years in Low-A.  Even with Low & High A, the teams that had multiple teams at those levels have consolidated them.  I think you'll end up with some hybrid of Rookie/Instructional that also serves as the Spring Training Complex team for even worse pay.  One Low-A, one High-A, AA, and AAA with a foreign developmental franchise that's somewhere between A-AA housed down South.  That Low-A will be default for 90% of each year's draft picks.  If you're not outta there in 3 seasons, you're cut.  That 5-year rule is gonna get changed soon anyhow.  Maybe come up with a hybrid rule for years in MiLB play and/or college baseball.   

This should be a golden era for NCAA baseball.  Let teams give more scholarship dollars (maybe move it up to 15.0 to start with), and with the compressed minor league roster spots/signing allocations...we could have a product just as good as college basketball in a few years.  Of course, that makes sense so the NCAA will fuck it up.  

But I am encouraged by the fact that the NCAA and MLB have worked it out pretty well to come up with reasonable dates to get drafted, not sign, and go to/back to college.  Maybe they can find mutually beneficial middle-ground on the new draft/MiLB landscape.  Ownership groups aren't opposed to giving more breaks/money to college programs.  But I think they're done with the financial burden of excess layers of minor league ball and the college players who wallow there for lotsa cash with little payoff.  

doesn't Vandy get to give more than the 11.7 scholarships?  we should start doing that.  title IX should be obsolete with new Supreme Court ruling and NIL IMO.

On 6/18/2021 at 5:57 PM, Cajun said:

The guys we recruited could of hit top pitching just fine if they hadn't been coached into being strike-taking head cases who regressed the longer they had more "swing thoughts" crammed down their throats.

TLDR: It wasn't the recruits.

Just my humble opinion.

I have little doubt that development had a lot to do with it.  It's just that Garridoco seemed to develop just fine for years, and then boom, down it went.

Plus, the empirical evidence seems to be that "Garrido-recruited" players didn't develop under Pierce, but as Pierce has replaced them and gotten increasingly better recruiting classes, the hitting has improved.

It's the old jimmys and joes or x's and o's.

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

doesn't Vandy get to give more than the 11.7 scholarships?  we should start doing that.  title IX should be obsolete with new Supreme Court ruling and NIL IMO.

It's not.  In fact, it's probably going to throw a wrench in the whole thing here pretty quick.  Regardless, I think a line has to be drawn between institutional benefits, which are still going to have to be "equalized" under Title IX, and "student-athlete-generated" benefits under NIL.

44 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's not.  In fact, it's probably going to throw a wrench in the whole thing here pretty quick.  Regardless, I think a line has to be drawn between institutional benefits, which are still going to have to be "equalized" under Title IX, and "student-athlete-generated" benefits under NIL.

sure but I still think it should be obsolete.

On 6/27/2021 at 12:07 AM, petscii said:

For perspective.  We went over 700 days without winning a conference series.   I know this happened during covid, but it also happened a few years before covid.  Going to Palo Alto every other year you knew they were going to lose the series.  It was a miss match.  It was humiliating as a fan to walk out of Sunken Diamond sometimes because of how soundly we beat ourselves.  I don't mind when we play hard and leave it all on the field but fucking up game after game is hard to watch.  Teams were not afraid of us. The Tuesday teams we scheduled were not afraid of us.  It was terrible to have Cajun (love you bud!) horn come in after every loss and explain in great detail how we sucked.

I bet you a dollar there is not a team in the country that wants to see Texas at a regional / super regional next year.  

I'm excited, I've followed this team long enough for them run off two of the winningest coaches in baseball history.  David Pierce might be the third.

If he did finished 5th at tulane/ULL he'd be the next coach at LSU right now.  If you read tiggerdroppings they are constantly trying to throw out the coach too same as us losers.

We finished 3rd this year, we lost tight games.  We were never humiliated at the plate or on the field.

TEXAS BASEBALL IS BACK.

I hated myself during that too, if that's any consolation.

Your post is spot on.  

As Marcellus Wallace said, "The world's full of unrealistic mutherfuckers", and Surly has a generous helping on this subject.

Edited by Cajun

On 6/27/2021 at 12:07 AM, petscii said:

Who is them? There was no big fan movement to "run off" Gus, that was due to scandal. As for Augie it was time man, but again it was not like we were forming torchlit mobs and pulling back donations or anything. CDC is not going to "run off" Pierce just because of a few Surly posters. I highly doubt more than 1% of the Texas Baseball fanbase or boosters have anything but complete support for Pierce at this point.

We have a program that looks able to recruit and develop players in every aspect of the game. Sure they may not pull the pitcher at the perfect time and every once in a while send a player home when they should not have, but those are only a tiny part of actually running a baseball program.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Sort of, but not quite. They have a financial aid program that basically calculates how much your family can afford to pay, and if it's not enough to cover tuition, then the school picks up the rest. 

Here it is explained from the black and gold side: https://www.anchorofgold.com/2019/5/30/18645077/opportunity-vanderbilt-an-explainer

While they try to paint it as, "it's not really an advantage, it just levels the field", Corbin has stated that it's definitely an advantage, especially if recruiting a kid from a low income family.

Texas does have a similar program:

https://texasadvance.utexas.edu/

If you're a Texas resident and your family makes less than 65,000 AGI, you can go to Texas for free.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Sort of, but not quite. They have a financial aid program that basically calculates how much your family can afford to pay, and if it's not enough to cover tuition, then the school picks up the rest. 

Here it is explained from the black and gold side: https://www.anchorofgold.com/2019/5/30/18645077/opportunity-vanderbilt-an-explainer

While they try to paint it as, "it's not really an advantage, it just levels the field", Corbin has stated that it's definitely an advantage, especially if recruiting a kid from a low income family.

Texas does have a similar program:

https://texasadvance.utexas.edu/

If you're a Texas resident and your family makes less than 65,000 AGI, you can go to Texas for free.

That is fairly standard at Ivies and near-Ivies that have really expensive tuition.  Large percentages of their students receive significant financial aid.

So I guess they do that for athletes, too.  I suppose both the cost (so much) and prestige of Vanderbilt make that look like a really good deal.

16 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Odd. We are certainly down at least one outfielder.

Kennedy, Hodo, Todd and Campbell. It’s getting crowded out there. Don’t blame him. He and Powell should’ve gotten some more at bats this year. Oh well

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Oh right. Forgot about Campbell. I just figured we were just going to have Hodo and Kennedy next year.

Campbell has some pop. Already has wheels. Imagine he gets a bit stronger over this summer and fall and will see the ball much better. 

Edited by Blackcat00
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Blackcat00 said:

Campbell has some pop. Already has wheels. Imagine he gets a bit stronger over this summer and fall and will see the ball much better. 

Yeah I think he has the potential to be good not great. He's listed at 5'11 but I think that's pretty generous. Supposedly Antico was only 5'10 so we'll see if Campbell can get on that Jersey Shore meathead program and bulk up like Mike. 

5 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah I think he has the potential to be good not great. He's listed at 5'11 but I think that's pretty generous. Supposedly Antico was only 5'10 so we'll see if Campbell can get on that Jersey Shore meathead program and bulk up like Mike. 

Mike was an All American. I don't think Campbell projects that or is a centerfielder. I could see him starting and putting up similar numbers as Kennedy and controlling both left/right field and a utility guy to fill in if one the infielders should go down. He's a very important part of this team going forward in a number of areas. 

Edited by Blackcat00

14 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Oh I agree and think he will be a valuable member of this team. I was just giving a little shit about his listed height. 

15 hours ago, Blackcat00 said:

Mike was an All American. I don't think Campbell projects that or is a centerfielder. I could see him starting and putting up similar numbers as Kennedy and controlling both left/right field and a utility guy to fill in if one the infielders should go down. He's a very important part of this team going forward in a number of areas. 

I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be Kennedy in left, Todd center and Hodo out in right. Maybe. Anyone else feel like Kennedy and hodo are pretty fuckin solid in the corners? And Todd is fast enough to hold down center? He’ll be healthy all year, right? He deserves it. Mother fuck I can’t wait till next season. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Melendez got some NIL deal from OB right? Damn I hate OB but I kind of want to see what they do with that.

A bunch of non-rev players did.  Melendez, Jefferson (softball), Rori Harmon (WBB)