COVID-19 thread of kindness, and how to help

Brisketexan

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

It's low-40s in Denver, so I would normally throw together some chili tonight.  But I think I'll stop by the sports bar next door and grab something.  Without sports, they have to be struggling a bit. 

See if you can mirror your phone to their TVs while you read Surly. That could be entertaining. 

Honestly, I think if we can get beyond all the denial and blame bullshit we will be ok.  I have no doubt some of us will bury some loved ones if not actually die ourselves.  But societally, if we can collectively acknowledge that this is a real problem and just move forward with each of us acting on the above items, we'll be okay.  Whether enough of us choose to do so will make the difference.

Cool, while my wife worries about my job status and our mortgage payments in the event of a prolonged economic recession, I'll skip all those worries and all the bullshit blame and denial talk and tell her that I read The Secret according to surly.

Just keep livin hun! It will all take care of itself if we just stop pointing fingers and do kumbaya stuff.

/Jlaw.gif

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

An ex-Gf's bar closed due to a lack of business so I took her grocery shopping and gave her extra cash so her daughters and parents can buy food. She also lives with a nephew and his girlfriend, so they can eat too. I told her she can come live with me if things get real bad. 

My landlord was short on cash to pay her workers so I paid half my rent 10 days early so her workers could buy some food.

I have had 5 other women message me needing money, a couple are FB friends I have never met in person. I can't afford to help them all, but I will make sure the ones closest to me are ok. I saved a bunch of 100 peso Bill's ($2) so I can hand them out so people can get a meal. There are also a couple beggars I know who are not making their usual big numbers because of the lack of tourists, so I am handing out a few pesos so they can eat. I usually don't give to beggars since most of them make really good money, much better than workers working for minimum wage.

I know some here may consider me scum due to my lifestyle but factoring in the velocity of money I buy over 50 meals a day for the locals with the money I spend. With no tourists it is even more important that I keep helping people, so I feel like I can't stay locked in my apartment. 

Edited by RayDog
  • Like 3

One of my daughters is a waitress and bar tender. The restaurant owner has said that if the schools close (they are on extended spring break for now), he thinks he’s sunk. The ripple effect of fewer people already not eating out because of the China virus, parents having to stay home or make arrangements for watching kids, and so on have really cut into the lunch crowds. My wife and I are ordering take-out from them 3 times this week and will continue. My wife has  posted on Facebook (she has lots of followers, I have maybe 3.5) encouraging people to order take-out from their favorite restaurants. A lot will undoubtedly fail because it’s just not a high profit margin business to begin with.

6 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Cool, while my wife worries about my job status and our mortgage payments in the event of a prolonged economic recession, I'll skip all those worries and all the bullshit blame and denial talk and tell her that I read The Secret according to surly.

Just keep livin hun! It will all take care of itself if we just stop pointing fingers and do kumbaya stuff.

/Jlaw.gif

I feel for you.  I have a job dependent on the greater economy, a mortgage that requires my salary to pay, an 85 year old mom in a dorm full of other aging people, savings for a few months without a paycheck but not the Great Depression.  I’m not quite in the at risk bracket age-wise, but I am carrying more weight than I should at 11,000 feet where my SpO2 cracks 90% on a good day.  I have a wife and three kids that are dependent on my ability to make a living to have food and shelter.

Our leadership is a shitshow.  We have the ability to destroy any nation that would stand against us within an hour, but we cannot muster a fraction of the testing that South Korea can with 4-6 weeks forewarning of an impending pandemic?  In three weeks we will probably be showing Italy how a failing healthcare system is done?  That many people will literally die because of this failure of leadership is not lost on me.

So here we are.  In the path of a flood, about to be swept up in a current that we will not be able to swim against.  We can choose to rage over that circumstance, dwell on the danger ahead and focus on who is to blame.  Or we can collect our wits, prepare to orient ourselves in the current and try to go with the flow down the most rock-free line we can see.

Only one of those courses of action helps my family get to calmer water.  If we get there, that will be the time I look back at why this happened and who is to blame.

Good luck in the weeks ahead.  No jlaw.gif.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gourmand said:

/Jlaw.gif

Mortgage companies will work with people on this. They have no other choice. Hopefully most jobs will immediately return upon the upswing. Blaming is easy but the reality is, there was no stopping this thing in our free society. On the upside, maybe for a short time, everyone can get back to discussing things which are truly important and work together in order to resolve the problems. 

• Like 1

I started to reply on the main COVID-19 thread, but it got long (!!) and I realized that wasn’t the place. So, here are some ideas for the parents out there with children on the younger side, BUT never underestimate your teens willingness to revert to that youth of so long ago and stop being a stressed out teen. It may take some coaxing and they won’t admit it until decades later, but your teen looks to you especially in times of crisis. How you behave, your compassion, your mental health, your ingenuity are all being modeled whether you like it or not.

So after you spend some time looking out for others, take some time to be together. Oh, and Mrs. Whiggins recommends that children who are young enough to take naps are often very amenable to routines so setting a phone alarm prior to nap time (so one can wind down and prepare for a nap) is one benefit to tech. There is a time to be flexible, but my kiddos were meltdown masters at that age so if it all possible, keep routines in mind.

Your spouses have probably looked all of this up on the web already, but here is my own take on what we used to do when my children were younger.

Weather permitting, taking children outdoors is a great idea and those of you who already had this thought are probably heading out already. A few mom suggestions, YMMV.

Some activities (below) will be suitable for older age groups.

My advice/rule of thumb is the younger the child, the smaller the excursion. Many parents like commitment and thus have a hard time bailing on a longer distance trip (like to a state park) when things go awry. For the wee bairns (<5) short excursions, small activities, and for heavens' sake the only time your phone should be out is when the alarm goes off to remind you that it is naptime which is probably why they are becoming irritable and contrary. (Sorry--we didn't have anything but a flip phone when my children were that age--slow to buy into tech) A reluctant child may need time to adapt but don’t be afraid to bail if there is overall crankiness as it may be an indicator of another need: illness, sleep, hunger. You know how that goes.

My second piece of advice/rule of thumb: Whatever happens, it’s your fault. Don’t beat yourself up about it, learn and plan for the next outing. Stuff happens. If that means you have to throw a screaming child over your shoulder because little brother needs to go home to nap then that’s what you do. (Sad, but true) During the activity, children lead the way but when it comes to the outing, Mom and Dad run the show. So, if someone forgets the DIAPERS…ahem…forgive or apologize and move on.

My third piece of advice/rule of thumb: accompanies the second. Let your child lead a little bit. If they get distracted watching a bug crawl across the paper on which they were coloring, it’s okay. Lose sight of having a goal (finished drawing) and follow for a change. Not with the big stuff (like when it’s time to go home) but with those little tangents. “Hey! Look Dad, I got the soccer ball stuck in a tree.”

**State parks--wonderful! Pack up your drinks/snacks, and get to exploring. As an added bonus, the day before you go, pack a small tote/shoulder sack with a few items and do science! A little package of crayons/pencils and a spiral allow you to do leaf colorings, or sit and point out a pretty scene, wildflower, tree, or critter. Have them draw it. Take your time. Stop on a trail every once in awhile and silently count to 20. If no one else is around, the critters that stopped when they heard you coming often resume their warbles, chirps, and movement. That one is great practice for the can't sit still crowd. Older children that can be trusted with magnifying glasses and compasses and binoculars should definitely have those handy. Oh, and if your children are older and you are at McKinney Falls—get lost. Not leave, get lost. We spent quite awhile in that park trying to find some obscure location on one of the maps and it took the 12 year old to rescue us. Gave him quite a boost of confidence. Make sure you have food though in case that happens. Low blood sugar in a teen girl can really test the family bonds.

Neighborhood parks--wonderful!! Again, pack up your drinks/snacks and get to exploring. Bring a blanket and if you have one a large umbrella (for shade) I expect these parks to be busy as every one will have similar plans and that way you can avoid the tables if necessary. Or if your city has a park map (online/paper) use that to scope out parks that are less crowded.

Anyway, in mom and dad's bag of tricks:

Art supplies: once again, encourage them to see art as not limited to indoor experiences. Bring along a disposable cup, a water bottle and water colors for slightly older children, crayons and a small pad for the younger ones. Lay on the blanket and watch the sky. Don't look at the sun!

Hoops, balls, and all the big outdoor running around toys. Jump ropes, chalk for sidewalks, kites, and if you have them: cones. My kiddos loved that we would bring a couple of cones and set them up to run races, soccer goals, pretend obstacle courses--the bad thing for the virus is that it was often a magnet for other children. Normally that was fine (except for those lazy parents that suddenly seemed to think I was providing free child care at the park) but in this case might not be welcome.

My favorite: bubbles. Bubbles are so much fun and if you have a large container like those sterlite ones with a lid? Put the supplies in there as bubble bottles often leak and get messy and then your car is gross. We had a complete bubble set up with large and small wands and those wire hanger big bubble makers. It was glorious.

Musical instruments: if the park is deserted, here is where to bang that drum that annoys the heck out of everyone. Have a parade.

Backyard--much of the above goes here as well with a couple of additions. If you're like me and you don't have an HOA, take a couple nails or duct tape and get a long roll of white paper (like butcher type paper) and tack it to your stockade fence (again--if using nails, be careful they are secure) you may have to fold the paper over a couple of times so it doesn't rip away if it's a little breezy. Put the kiddos in older clothes give them paint brushes and water soluble paint and turn em loose.

Roly poly/pillbug adventures--see if they can locate all the 'safe' creatures that live in your micro environment. How many butterflies do you see? How many ant mounds ('no, don't touch those' like my son, the ant bully was, may be tested with this one). How many anoles?

For the more mechanically minded: backyard obstacle courses are fun or Hot Wheels race track (maybe don’t use your nice cars for that one). Youngest liked to set up parallel courses with loose track and race cars. Lots more room outside to get a good course going. If you have any of the large pieces of pvc pipe laying around, tunnels make it worthwhile.

I also used to give him a board or two and tools and let him mess around (supervise this one!). Husband gave him his first pocketknife when he was small and the two of them would sit outside whittling sticks and having ‘man talks.’ I can’t recall exactly how old he was but he was coordinated enough that holding the knife and properly applying pressure, etc wasn’t going to be too risky.

Garden! Good time of the year to plant a few seeds. Or just dig in the dirt. If you've got a sandbox, there's two ways to do it: wet-get the sand moist for construction or dry-fluid and pouring capabilities. Older children seem to prefer the wetter building option in my experience.

Lastly--

My children are older now, heck my oldest is now in grad school. I loved their childhood. Absolutely loved watching them grow and learn and love. Set aside your agenda and your phone and watch them. Really observe them and listen to what they have to say about what they see and learn about the world. Encourage them to THINK about why something might be a certain way (eg--why does a plant stand up tall vs trail along the ground) and then be mindful that this is not a test for them, it is to help them formulate their thoughts into a coherent reply. They are yours, now and forever, and you love them for who they are and who they will become. Good luck! You will have a lot of material for the Dad thread and the Wives thread.

Whiggins

**State park users are going to be stressed. Texas has a looooot of people and not a lot of park. Go early!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gourmand said:

/Jlaw.gif

I won’t be sharing any rabbit with you motherfucker 

Wife wanted to eat out last night, and wanted Cheesecake Factory.  We've not been in well over a year, so off we went.

Get there at 6 on a Friday, and there are no lines, no waiting.  Seated immediately.  I suspect that's the first time on a Friday since this location has opened there was no waiting.  I'm guessing the place was 40-50% full.

Server comes around, wife asks how things have been.  She says it was normal through Wednesday evening, but beginning Thursday, people are staying away.

We tipped her $100.  I figure this young lady might not be working at Cheesecake Factory in the near future.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It's okay, it is long. I and my husband are RTFM types. Not everyone is. Here's the short form: take your children (if you have them) outside.

I too support the “release them into the wild” method. If they love you, they’ll come back. If they do come back, try again tomorrow.

• Haha 1

I think every adult American needs to watch Almost Famous a time or two and reflect on its actual meaning.   

perhaps listen to Yo-Yo Ma playing the Bach Cello Suites, absorb true beauty/magic.  

if that’s not your bit, listen to Simon & Garfunkel ‘America’ on repeat for a few cycles.   

Musical reflection, outdoor time, phone calls with an old friend, FaceTime with mom&dad rather than a call or text...  so many things.  Just do them.  We’ve gotten so out of touch as a society with being personal and knowing how to communicate.  Maybe we can learn it again.  

• Like 1

Pretty certain I've been infected with this bug for a week and haven't developed pneumonia so far.  Yesterday I learned testing is rationed where I am for those possibly needing hospitalization.  So it's not confirmed, but it all fits.  Don't want to count my chickens yet, but I'm looking ahead and feel ready to help every way I can.  Very few of us in the country have yet to come out the other side of the psychological unknowns of personal infection.  I'm certain many already have or are in the process of it right now but haven't realized it yet.  It is early but it is happening now - as numbers of us join the post-infection herd and are ok, we need to start anticipating today how those in the growing herd can best be used to maximize help through every kind of service. 

On that last note, this is another reason we need testing on a mass scale - to help coordinate mobilization of those who are past riding the exponential curve into a hospital.  Confirmation you have/had it and are ok will shift the outlook and behavior of growing millions on a weekly basis.  We need to capitalize on that asap.

AISD offered curbside lunches to children who need them yesterday, and if schools are closed after Spring Break they'll do this M-F starting March 23. The full list of locations and times/details is here.

Also, if anyone has young kids and is trying to figure out how to entertain them during this time of social distancing, someone posting this sample schedule on FB and it's a pretty good jumping off point.

spacer.png

Guys, thanks for participating in this thread and offering your thoughts, advice, and plans.

This is the good stuff. I’m not ashamed to say I’ve broken down a few times the past few days. From worrying about the people I have to worry about. From seeing the beauty of humanity that is our potential - singing from balcony to balcony, checking on each other. From relief, talking to my daughter in another country who is frustrated, sad, but also handling it in stride, like the wise adult we raised her to be.

And a little bit from hope. The hope that we can take this pause - imposed on us by our planet - to grasp that we are a human family. For the first time in perhaps centuries, all of humanity is embarking on a shared experience. China, Italy, Norway, Canada, here - I have spoken in the last 48 hours with people in all of those places (except China) who are having the same experience. This situation came about because we are connected, and our shared experience emphasizes that connection.

Keep doing what you are doing. Deep breaths. Get outside. Help where you can. And when this is all over, remember. Remember who we are, and who we can be.

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Guys, thanks for participating in this thread and offering your thoughts, advice, and plans.

This is the good stuff. I’m not ashamed to say I’ve broken down a few times the past few days. From worrying about the people I have to worry about. From seeing the beauty of humanity that is our potential - singing from balcony to balcony, checking on each other. From relief, talking to my daughter in another country who is frustrated, sad, but also handling it in stride, like the wise adult we raised her to be.

And a little bit from hope. The hope that we can take this pause - imposed on us by our planet - to grasp that we are a human family. For the first time in perhaps centuries, all of humanity is embarking on a shared experience. China, Italy, Norway, Canada, here - I have spoken in the last 48 hours with people in all of those places (except China) who are having the same experience. This situation came about because we are connected, and our shared experience emphasizes that connection.

Keep doing what you are doing. Deep breaths. Get outside. Help where you can. And when this is all over, remember. Remember who we are, and who we can be.

Your welcome

Not gonna lie gents, trying my damndest today to not let my sarcasm mind completely takeover my whole psyche.   It’s been a rough few days mentally.  Thanks for starting this one Brisket.  Re-reading this from the top every time I open it is therapeutic. 

I mentioned in the other thread that my daughter and her boyfriend were in Iceland for a week.  She made it out on one of the last Icelandic Air flights to Denver on Thursday before the travel ban hit on Friday.  We got her to agree to self-quarantine for at least a week at her boyfriend's house near Colorado Springs.  After a week, we'll rethink things.

Well, she had promised a friend (Morgan) a ride back to campus which is several hours away.  I told her that Morgan would have to find another way back, or hunker down at her own house until my daughter decided to return.  Morgan wanted to get back because she has a job at college that she needed to get back to.  Morgan is extremely shy and can't bring herself to send out an SOS to friends.  Boo fucking hoo.  My daughter thought she had found a ride for her, but that deal fell through.

So my daughter offered to let Morgan drive her car.  I told her not to do that, but she's "an adult now" who can "make her own decisions,"  and if we wouldn't let her, she'd drive Morgan back to campus and go back to Colorado Springs.  I told her that was stupid, but if she went against my advice and loaned her car to Morgan, she at least needed to make sure Morgan had valid insurance with full coverage.  At least she did that.

My daughter dropped off the car this morning at Denver International (it turns out that Morgan is from Las Vegas, so that's why she couldn't hunker down at home in Denver for another week).  My daughter didn't even make it back to Colorado Springs before she got a call from a distraught Morgan.  Turns out Morgan made it 20 minutes from the airport before falling asleep and crashing my daughter's car.  It doesn't sound like a total loss, and no other vehicles were involved.

My daughter called me equally distressed, and I walked her through the process while biting my tongue.  Turns out sweet little Morgan only had liability coverage.  A little while later, after Morgan calls her dad, we find out that her dad didn't get her added to the insurance policy after all because "his agent didn't call back."  And they aren't even Mexican. Jk.  We are very lucky no other vehicles were involved.

To top it off, my daughter asked her again about work, and Morgan says she "just found out" that the campus daycare she works at is shut down next week, probably longer.  But, Morgan now thinks that maybe her boyfriend can come get her from college because they really miss each other.  Until she can find a rid back to college Morgan may have to stay at my daughter's boyfriend's house.  As upset as my daughter is right now, I'm sure the tensions will be high.

I'd bet every damn devalued cent I have that Morgan knew her work was shutting down, but she was desperate to get back to her loser boyfriend.  I told my daughter that Morgan should expect our insurance company to try to collect from her.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My daughter dropped off the car this morning at Denver International (it turns out that Morgan is from Las Vegas, so that's why she couldn't hunker down at home in Denver for another week).  My daughter didn't even make it back to Colorado Springs before she got a call from a distraught Morgan.  Turns out Morgan made it 20 minutes from the airport before falling asleep and crashing my daughter's car.  It doesn't sound like a total loss, and no other vehicles were involved.

This is how it begins.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I mentioned in the other thread that my daughter and her boyfriend were in Iceland for a week.  She made it out on one of the last Icelandic Air flights to Denver on Thursday before the travel ban hit on Friday.  We got her to agree to self-quarantine for at least a week at her boyfriend's house near Colorado Springs.  After a week, we'll rethink things.

Well, she had promised a friend (Morgan) a ride back to campus which is several hours away.  I told her that Morgan would have to find another way back, or hunker down at her own house until my daughter decided to return.  Morgan wanted to get back because she has a job at college that she needed to get back to.  Morgan is extremely shy and can't bring herself to send out an SOS to friends.  Boo fucking hoo.  My daughter thought she had found a ride for her, but that deal fell through.

So my daughter offered to let Morgan drive her car.  I told her not to do that, but she's "an adult now" who can "make her own decisions,"  and if we wouldn't let her, she'd drive Morgan back to campus and go back to Colorado Springs.  I told her that was stupid, but if she went against my advice and loaned her car to Morgan, she at least needed to make sure Morgan had valid insurance with full coverage.  At least she did that.

My daughter called me equally distressed, and I walked her through the process while biting my tongue.  Turns out sweet little Morgan only had liability coverage.  A little while later, after Morgan calls her dad, we find out that her dad didn't get her added to the insurance policy after all because "his agent didn't call back."  And they aren't even Mexican. Jk.  We are very lucky no other vehicles were involved.

To top it off, my daughter asked her again about work, and Morgan says she "just found out" that the campus daycare she works at is shut down next week, probably longer.  But, Morgan now thinks that maybe her boyfriend can come get her from college because they really miss each other.  Until she can find a rid back to college Morgan may have to stay at my daughter's boyfriend's house.  As upset as my daughter is right now, I'm sure the tensions will be high.

I'd bet every damn devalued cent I have that Morgan knew her work was shutting down, but she was desperate to get back to her loser boyfriend.  I told my daughter that Morgan should expect our insurance company to try to collect from her.

facepalm

I'm furious for you. Damn.

5 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

After all that...and no pics?

Seems like they’re turning on each other in the Travel section on the Covid thread. 

Was funny for a bit. Kinda sad now. 

Everybody’s gotta be right. And adamantly so. Grow up a bit. Let it ride.

Tolerance. Acceptance. Respect. These things are becoming short supply. 

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah...and I think we need to be about done with that. Time to stop making unnecessary public trips.
I’m not feeling very positive about things right now.

Negged for post-shitting, especially in your own “kindness” thread. 

Edited by After irth

Sorta tangential, but since this is going to be a marathon in which we all have to keep our sanity, I wonder if camping makes a comeback.  Like when you and your family are desperately in need to look at something other than the four walls of your home, drive to someplace like Moab, UT and primitive camp.  It will just be you and yours with minimal chance of spreading along the way when you stop for gas.

• Like 1

Sorta tangential, but since this is going to be a marathon in which we all have to keep our sanity, I wonder if camping makes a comeback.  Like when you and your family are desperately in need to look at something other than the four walls of your home, drive to someplace like Moab, UT and primitive camp.  It will just be you and yours with minimal chance of spreading along the way when you stop for gas.

I’ve already thought of that - at the very least, finding some of the less-visited trails somewhat outside of town, and hitting those for an afternoon. Just to get out and about and do something, safely.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

You’re doing it wrong if you are staying in your house 24/7. Ride bikes, walk dogs, go on a hike. 

Agreed, I’m just saying a family getaway is still possible, you just aren’t going to Disney.

Some other things that I’ve decided on:  I fly fish and normally catch and release. I will be doing more bait fishing for meat this summer and will be putting in for all the meat tags this fall for hunting.  Lessens the amount of times we need to go to the store, saves money and we can share surplus with those that may be struggling from economic impact.

a backyard garden wouldn’t be a bad idea for people in an area with a decent growing season for similar reasons.

Edited by Goredho