COVID-19 thread of kindness, and how to help

Brisketexan

On 3/18/2020 at 4:11 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I bought this set of stacked trays and bag of broccoli seeds on amazon. 
Put seeds in clear trays. Every morning and every evening, empty the bottom green tray of water and put about a cup of fresh water in the top. There are weep holes that the water drains down each tier and maintains humidity. I’m at day 3 I think for the batch in the picture I just took. 

I’ll add an amazon link if I can find it but I’m sure there’s plenty of stuff out there for different scale growing. 

08CA792F-9706-4DF3-ACCA-147D06E482C6.jpeg

@BurntEyes and others, updating the pic. Today is harvest day, 4 days later. Then I do it again. 

B02513F8-E502-435E-920A-F934793A3263.jpeg

• Like 2

Just as an update, I'm seeing a lot of posts, discussion, etc. of folks doing right by each other.  Neighbors helping out older neighbors, that sort of thing.  And people all over doing their best to lighten the mood, to share some joy and laughs with people however they can -- just being good and decent to each other.  It does the heart good to see it.  It's what we MUST see more of.  It's not just the only way we get to the other side -- it's how we can be the kind of society we want to see on the other side.

Keep it up, folks.  It's going to be a long haul.  Keep it up.  We have to.

• Like 2

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Just as an update, I'm seeing a lot of posts, discussion, etc. of folks doing right by each other.  Neighbors helping out older neighbors, that sort of thing.  And people all over doing their best to lighten the mood, to share some joy and laughs with people however they can -- just being good and decent to each other.  It does the heart good to see it.  It's what we MUST see more of.  It's not just the only way we get to the other side -- it's how we can be the kind of society we want to see on the other side.

Keep it up, folks.  It's going to be a long haul.  Keep it up.  We have to.

This is America, more or less. I hope you step away from the ledge some and see that. Even the people you probably think, on some level, are racist, cruel shitheels probably aren’t all that bad most of the time and in most situations. 

At least that’s what I tell myself because dwelling on anything else is counterproductive 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This is America, more or less. I hope you step away from the ledge some and see that. Even the people you probably think, on some level, are racist, cruel shitheels probably aren’t all that bad most of the time and in most situations. 

At least that’s what I tell myself because dwelling on anything else is counterproductive 

I'll suggest that as a society, we regularly come to forks in the road when we need to decide who we are.  There are plenty of times we've chosen to be utter shitheels, racist pieces of shit, etc.

And there are times when we have chosen to be what we claim to be, what we aspire to be.  We are at one hellacious fork in the road.  We have a choice of who we want to be, both during this crisis, and once we are out on the other side.  Some folks have chosen well -- I hope that momentum builds.  Momentum is a helluva thing.

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'll suggest that as a society, we regularly come to forks in the road when we need to decide who we are.  There are plenty of times we've chosen to be utter shitheels, racist pieces of shit, etc.

And there are times when we have chosen to be what we claim to be, what we aspire to be.  We are at one hellacious fork in the road.  We have a choice of who we want to be, both during this crisis, and once we are out on the other side.  Some folks have chosen well -- I hope that momentum builds.  Momentum is a helluva thing.

Momentum doesn’t exist- ask the numbers nerds and Herman. 

Counterpoint- people don’t change. Your perception might- or the situations they are put in and their incentives for behaving a certain way might- but by and large they don’t change. 

As to what you are talking about with the decision to do right or wrong that’s universal throughout every culture and the struggle since the dawn of time that’s always been observed. 

I think the trajectory has been, on balance to get better and there’s some cognitive dissonance in the past 10 years especially brought on by the revolution brought about by social media and our interconnectedness. We will figure it out. 

If there's a thread for stuff to do during isolation that's not geared towards kids and teens, point me in the right direction. For now I'll just share this here - we are huge Geeks Who Drink pub trivia fans, and if anyone else is too you probably saw that they had to lay off just about all of their staff. But, because they are awesome, they are going to do livestreams of quizzes on Twitch, and you can donate to help keep those going - right now it's basically run by volunteers. They did the first one tonight and while it's not quite the same as doing it at an actual bar, it was still fun and brought a small sense of normalcy to our lives. Twitch channel here.

I'm hosting a virtual game night for our friend group this weekend using the

Jackbox games and GoToMeeting. Not sure how it'll turn out but it should work in concept. Will report back.

ETA guess I wasn't the first with the idea. Here's an article explaining it https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/03/jackbox-how-to-play-friends-hangouts-zoom-coronavirus-quarantine

• Like 1

Had to go to Parkland ER while at work and was talking with a nurse that had her mask on. She showed me her headband that had a couple of buttons sewn on the sides so the mask could attach there - instead of on her ears all shift. Something simply brilliant about it. 

She said an anonymous donor dropped off 500 headbands. These are exceptional times and we are still exceptional people. 

Edited by Constant
  • Like 3

I grew up Catholic, Jesuit-educated, even though I'm actually a member of the PCUSA these days....but I really like Pope Francis.  And his words today are truly beautiful, and capture the essence of the Gospel and of our humanity:

Pope Francis's beautiful meditation today on fear and hope, during his prayers for an end to the #coronavirus, and his extraordinary Urbi et Orbi blessing.

"For weeks now it has been evening. Thick darkness has gathered over our squares, our streets and our cities; it has taken over our lives, filling everything with a deafening silence and a distressing void, that stops everything as it passes by; we feel it in the air, we notice in people’s gestures, their glances give them away. We find ourselves afraid and lost. Like the disciples in the Gospel we were caught off guard by an unexpected, turbulent storm. We have realized that we are on the same boat, all of us fragile and disoriented, but at the same time important and needed, all of us called to row together, each of us in need of comforting the other. On this boat… are all of us. Just like those disciples, who spoke anxiously with one voice, saying “We are perishing” (v. 38), so we too have realized that we cannot go on thinking of ourselves, but only together can we do this.

Good on you, Pope Francis.

We are one humanity, and only together can we do this.  Which I have long thought is a truth - of society, of the Gospels, of humanity.  We are all in this together.  We are called to be in community with each other -- and in the grand scheme, I am only as safe, healthy, and prosperous as my fellow man is.  Kindness is our call.

• Like 1

Got a call last night from my pastor.  Our church supports quite a few local food missions, one being The Gospel Cafe.  The mission funded food projects have been decimated by the grocery runs.   They got a huge donation of hot dogs and hot links to feed people literally anything they can, but they couldn’t get buns.  Pastor asked me to see what I could find through the restaurant channels, and one of the Bread route owners I’ve met before got us hooked up on his entire allotment of hot dog buns. Should get Gospel through the next week (sorry store shoppers).  

Dropped off 15 racks of buns at 9 this morning.  Made my day.  

• Like 5

Just now, Trey3216 said:

Got a call last night from my pastor.  Our church supports quite a few local food missions, one being The Gospel Cafe.  The mission funded food projects have been decimated by the grocery runs.   They got a huge donation of hot dogs and hot links to feed people literally anything they can, but they couldn’t get buns.  Pastor asked me to see what I could find through the restaurant channels, and one of the Bread route owners I’ve met before got us hooked up on his entire allotment of hot dog buns. Should get Gospel through the next week (sorry store shoppers).  

Every little bit counts.  All of it. Good on ya.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Awesome, way to go!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Every little bit counts.  All of it. Good on ya.

Absolutely.  That’s the point of this thread.   We can all do a few things, make a phone call or two and make things happen.   We just gotta do it.  So many small things, but let’s remember that the most vulnerable in society are even more vulnerable now.   Let’s remember our teachings and help each other out, because this is and will affect every single one of us.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 3

I've decided that the next time I go to the grocery store, I'm going to buy some gift cards and give them randomly to workers at the store.

I'm thinking maybe $10 - $25 cards, totaling $100 per trip. We are going maybe once a week, so this is less than I'm saving by sheltering at home.

It's not a lot, but it's something.

• Like 3

So I've been fighting back the tears a good bit today.  As the days have gone by, I've seen more and more images of doctors and nurses weary, and exhausted.  And not exhausted as in "tired from a long shift."  Nope, something altogether different.

docdoc.jpg?w=1200&h=630&crop=1&resize=12

200317-cremona-icu-al-1532_3eaad0ce0b6b8

I've always voraciously consumed history books, so many of them about conflict (WWII, Vietnam, etc.). In most of them, there is an image as old as human history: an exhausted soldier, slumped and spent after battle - after the horrific task of simply doing his duty, and seeing and experiencing what no human should ever have to. And the haunting part of every such image isn't the physical exhaustion -- it's seeing the sapped mental energy, the shattered emotions.

I've spent my life looking at such images of people wearing camouflage and helmets. Now...I see the same, but the spent souls are wearing scrubs and masks. The fight is the same. The duty is the same. And the costs...so dreadfully the same. The debt that can't be repaid....the same.

I'm not sure what I feel most strongly.  It fucking shatters me to know and see what healthcare professionals are going through right now.  But that they are continuing to step up, day after day, at risk of their own lives, at risk of their own mental health and wellbeing, to do what has to be done for all of us -- well, that inspires me.  It's the best of what we are, and what we can be.  

Maybe I'm just having a day.  Maybe it's been a long week.  But I can't get it out of my mind.

• Like 4

Hey guys, on Sunday the Central Texas Food Bank had 3,000 families lined up to get food.

3,000 families.

Our neighbors are hungry, and they need our help.  There's no better time to donate, if you can -- the need is staggering, and there's a match in place right now:

Help Families in Need

We are working around the clock to understand how we can best serve our clients during the pandemic, and we are seeing a dramatic increase in need for our services.

Your Gift is DOUBLED

Three generous local families, including the Gates and Stumberg families, have stepped up to offer a $250,000 matching gift.

We believe in providing comprehensive support to address urgent issues, and to ensure that our neighbors have the tools and information needed to access food and other programs through our network—now or whenever they find themselves in need.

Our donation of $250 translates to 2,000 meals -- doubled, that means 4,000 meals.

If you can give, it's a great way to meet an immediate need.

Our neighbors are hungry.  We have to feed them.  Here's the link, it's SO easy to donate with just a few clicks: https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org/

Yesterday, as we went to sleep, my wife reminded me that we'd done a lot of good yesterday.  We picked up and delivered several days worth of hot meals to an elderly couple we're friends with.  My mother had hit a wall with depression and loneliness.  We walked over, and spent an hour visiting with her and my dad (from 20 feet apart, opposite ends of the driveway).  We gave to the food bank.  I spent much of my day working on some public health policy issues.  Her phone rang off the hook -- for some reason, a lot of people hit the wall yesterday, and needed to talk to a pastor.  And as we headed to bed, I cried again -- because goddamit, we can't help everyone.  We can't.  There's only so much we can do.  But maybe if we all chip in, and do the things we can do, big and little, maybe we can.  SO many people need help.  We can't help them all.  But maybe WE can.

Keep on keeping on, people.  Remember to do what you can, for whoever you can, whenever you can.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hey guys, on Sunday the Central Texas Food Bank had 3,000 families lined up to get food.

3,000 families.

Our neighbors are hungry, and they need our help.  There's no better time to donate, if you can -- the need is staggering, and there's a match in place right now:

Our donation of $250 translates to 2,000 meals -- doubled, that means 4,000 meals.

Our neighbors are hungry.  We have to feed them.  Here's the link, it's SO easy to donate with just a few clicks: https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org/

Yesterday, as we went to sleep, my wife reminded me that we'd done a lot of good yesterday.  We picked up and delivered several days worth of hot meals to an elderly couple we're friends with.  My mother had hit a wall with depression and loneliness.  We walked over, and spent an hour visiting with her and my dad (from 20 feet apart, opposite ends of the driveway).  We gave to the food bank.  I spent much of my day working on some public health policy issues.  Her phone rang off the hook -- for some reason, a lot of people hit the wall yesterday, and needed to talk to a pastor.  And as we headed to bed, I cried again -- because goddamit, we can't help everyone.  We can't.  There's only so much we can do.  But maybe if we all chip in, and do the things we can do, big and little, maybe we can.  SO many people need help.  We can't help them all.  But maybe WE can.

Keep on keeping on, people.  Remember to do what you can, for whoever you can, whenever you can.

They get a lot more meals out for the dollar than Houston's food bank. Good on them, donated for my birth city. 

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

3,000 families.

Thanks for the reminder, Brisket.  I gave to Food Bank of the Rockies, which is our big food bank in Denver.  

• Like 2

Just now, Chewbacca said:

Thanks for the reminder, Brisket.  I gave to Food Bank of the Rockies, which is our big food bank in Denver.  

Good on ya, man.

I mean, goddamn....we don't have to look very far at all to see tens of thousands of people in our community who don't know where their next meal is coming from.  An estimated 260,000 jobs lost in Central Texas alone.  And EVERYWHERE is like this.  It just fucking overwhelms me to think about it, to see so much need.  And I feel like anything we do individually is just screaming into a hurricane, but it's all we CAN do right now.  And it's what we MUST do.  Never before in our lives as Americans -- not in nearly 100 years -- has there been such an acute need as this.  It has never been more clear that we all have to look out for each other.

• Like 3

Here ya go @Brisketexan. This group covers and supports all the counties surrounding Travis. They are in some trouble right now. We saw the lines last weekend at the Austin location. Cars for miles. I just got back from Hays where a friend works. Pretty empty, lots of hungry people and more coming everyday. 

Good on you for pushing this Sir. You are right, it is our time to help anyone we can. NOW. 

• Like 3

3,000 families.
Help Families in Need
We are working around the clock to understand how we can best serve our clients during the pandemic, and we are seeing a dramatic increase in need for our services.
Your Gift is DOUBLED
Three generous local families, including the Gates and Stumberg families, have stepped up to offer a $250,000 matching gift.
We believe in providing comprehensive support to address urgent issues, and to ensure that our neighbors have the tools and information needed to access food and other programs through our network—now or whenever they find themselves in need.
Just donated, thanks.
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, APMP said:

Just donated, thanks.

Matching you. My friend is staying with us. She is the ops manager in hays. Every night is a struggle for her. all I can do is make sure she stays healthy and on that front line. Hays had their first day of people being dicks. few fights etc. I think it will get worse in the next two weeks. 

Over dinner she gets to unwind and vent. I am used to most of the stories. What killed me tonight was her story about an elderly man in Kyle. Blind. Called her tonight. He has 3 days of food left. His usual driver will not take him with all of this. they do not have local distribution set up yet (politics and shit). I will make that run for him on Friday. 

So Surly, we are all doing what we can and it is great we support our local bars/restaurants. But for me, this will be my focus until we beat this viral bitch. 

Good on all of you. 

• Like 3

Hey Brisket,
Thanks for keeping this thread out in front--I never would have considered it otherwise (just not on my radar).  I donated $500; hope that helps keep you motivated to ask others for their support. 

Damn, man...well-done.
Bird by bird, man. That’s how we get this shit done. Awesome.
  • Like 1

What killed me tonight was her story about an elderly man in Kyle. Blind. Called her tonight. He has 3 days of food left. His usual driver will not take him with all of this. they do not have local distribution set up yet (politics and shit). I will make that run for him on Friday. 
So Surly, we are all doing what we can and it is great we support our local bars/restaurants. But for me, this will be my focus until we beat this viral bitch. 
Good on all of you. 

So they don’t have local distribution set up...how about a volunteer drivers? I can make some runs this weekend.

Makes me wonder about meals on wheels, too. I don’t know what they’re doing.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

So they don’t have local distribution set up...how about a volunteer drivers? I can make some runs this weekend.

Makes me wonder about meals on wheels, too. I don’t know what they’re doing.

Meals on wheels is kicking ass. They do have local distribution, but getting more numbers than anticipated. And people are dicks and few people are ready to handle rapid change. I am advising and supporting. Long story. I appreciate your offer, but call your local group. There are always people who cannot get out and right now their support element might not be there. I can spend an hour or two hours a day running and catch up work with a cold beer that evening. She just tells me where I need to go that next day. But I bet Central Texas would love some help. Thanks @Brisketexan

Our community is going to need help after this ends. We can do it. 

Call Central Texas Food Bank and volunteer. They need people to pack commodity boxes. I will lay in a keg when this is over. Bring a picture of your sign in sheet. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Like 1

All food banks are getting swamped with increased need.  Reach out and donate or volunteer.

Quoting to bump.
This is what we’re supposed to do in times like these. This is a once-in-multiple generations crisis - we need to know, our kids need to know, future generations need to know that this is how we responded.
  • Like 2

Great Thread!!  🤘

Siap...

If you can afford it, give to the Food Bank the $1200 stimulus payment  that government will soon be providing... or even better your $2400 stimulus payment if you are married... 

Edited by LTtxfan

at&t is giving every single nurse and doctor in america 3 months of free unlimited wireless service.  

AT&T will provide three months of free wireless service for nurses and physicians battling the coronavirus pandemic across the U.S., the latest goodwill gesture from corporate America during the crisis.

The telco revealed the news with the assistance of John Krasinski on his YouTube series “Some Good News,” which he launched two weeks ago as a way to provide uplifting and inspiring stories.

In Sunday’s episode, Krasinski and former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz surprised five nurses in the COVID-19 unit at Boston’s Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center with a field trip to Fenway Park, where they threw out the “first pitch” of the 2020 Major League Baseball season. Krasinski then told viewers that AT&T had reached out to partner with the “The Office” actor on the announcement of the carrier’s three-month free offer for health care workers.

According to Krasinski, AT&T asked him how the company could help — and he suggested the telco pay the mobile phone bills for U.S.’s doctors and nurses for one month. “Their response? ‘How about three,'” says Krasinski. “Now I may not know much, but I do know what good news looks like.”

Doctors, nurses and other healthcare workers “are working around the clock, on the front lines to combat the COVID-19 health crisis,” AT&T Communications CEO Jeff McElfresh said in a statement. “We want to be there to keep them connected. And that’s exactly what FirstNet delivers.”

AT&T is delivering the free access to health care workers over the FirstNet network, built in a public-private partnership with the U.S. government’s First Responder Network Authority. FirstNet is purpose-built for first responders and prioritizes their calls and data traffic over the network. With FirstNet, AT&T also partners with public safety agencies to provide additional resources, including a dedicated fleet of portable cell sites.

Under AT&T’s offer, nurses and doctors who are already on a FirstNet Mobile – Responder plan will automatically receive the three-month service credit on a smartphone or tablet line of service. Those with existing AT&T service can migrate the line to FirstNet.

Starting April 13, new subscribers can activate a new FirstNet Mobile – Responder line of service if they qualify for service. For new enrollees, AT&T also is granting a $200 activation credit toward a FirstNet Ready smartphone (when they commit to a 30-month service agreement). Eligible physicians and nurses can find more info at digital.firstnet.com/currentoffers or visit an AT&T store, according to the telco.

Among other steps AT&T has taken to respond to the COVID-19 crisis, the company is waiving late-payment fees and has pledged to not disconnect customers’ service over nonpayment.

On 4/8/2020 at 9:13 PM, APMP said:

Just donated, thanks.

Matched you as well...

Quick bump to say that current donations made to the Central Texas Food Bank are currently being matched up to $250k.  If you can afford it now would be a good time to support your neighbors.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org

• Like 2

This thing as evolved into something more and more personal.

In the early stages, I did what I normally do:  donate cash to trusted institutions like the regional food bank, well established shelters, etc.

Then came the more specific relief efforts.  For instance, the restaurants that banded together to get donations for out of work service industry folks.  I donated cash.  

Then, I started getting takeout exclusively from restaurants that I used to frequent, were owned by friends, donated to the neighborhood in the past, etc.  These are important parts of my community and I want them to make it.

Then, my own livelihood became threatened and I had to hit pause for bit on the donations and takeout.

As I began to feel a bit more confident that I would keep getting my paycheck, I redirected my giving to a much more personal level:  I am giving cash and food to my housekeepers who are really struggling.  I am paying my trainer for virtual sessions on top of paying what I normally do.  I am paying a lady really into dog rescue to help train my dogs.  Etc.  These are people that are my neighbors and friends and they are hurting.  That is where my cash is going instead of donations to institutions.    This has never happened before.  I’m lucky I can do this, so I do.  For how long? I don’t know.  And I don’t know what happens after that. 

• Like 6

Helping our church wrangle up food donations to give to families every Friday.  It was setup with the idea that we’d give the food to families whose children were on free/reduced lunch at the schools, and those families don’t necessarily have food for the kids on the weekends.  So we’re giving them bread, peanut butter & jelly, 6 canned foods, a gallon of milk, a box of cereal, and 6 granola/trail mix bars.  

First week we did 80 families.  I’m sensing we’ll probably double that next week if we get the food.  

• Like 2

On 3/15/2020 at 9:59 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Just ordered a small greenhouse so that we can have a decent growing season, and will start indoor seeding shortly. 
the chickens give us about 20 eggs per week. 

I think @BurntEyes had asked about this as well, but I finally had some nice weather to be outside all day so I knocked it out with a little help from the wife. 
first pic is from yesterday, leveled the footprint in a pretty halfassed way and then put together the bottom frame and also some pieces not pictured that assemble before going on the thing. About 3 hours total time.
 Pic 2 is today, working from 1130a to 730p to get it all up. 
tomorrow I’ll throw on the guy wires to supposedly wind proof it.  Most important thing is to get that rectangle flat and true if you want all the other pieces to line up.  At one point about 2/3 done, I didn’t like how panels were fitting so i pulled the stakes and loosened some bolts and picks the thing up to let it find it’s shape.  That seemed to help.  Side panels are a super thin poly material molded to have some rigidity, roof is corrugated material.  Now to fill it with shelves, boxes, and seeds.

83A4FA92-241D-4C1A-9D96-77AD960C1187.jpeg

86B448F8-8BDB-4F49-B8D6-2758FC479D6E.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Palram HG5508 Hybrid Hobby Greenhouse, 6' x 8' x 7', Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P0REDI8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_p7dRraBJrTyz2

Thank you! I think this might a great add on to the garden at the food bank we are putting in. We are going to start a class for backyard farmers when shit settles down and this would be nice for starts, etc. 

26 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Thank you! I think this might a great add on to the garden at the food bank we are putting in. We are going to start a class for backyard farmers when shit settles down and this would be nice for starts, etc. 

Get people that are used to LEGO or ikea picture directions, and don’t be surprised if a few of the aluminum pieces are bent from transit.  We bought the separate tie down kit to try to alleviate the flimsiness issues in some of the reviews. 

Palram Anchor Kit for Nature Series Greenhouses, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SQ169OQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_yvwsOau13nG2f

Edited by Pato del Muerto