COVID-19 thread of kindness, and how to help

Brisketexan

17 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Get people that are used to LEGO or ikea picture directions, and don’t be surprised if a few of the aluminum pieces are bent from transit.  We bought the desperate tie down kit to try to alleviate the flimsiness issues in some of the reviews. 

Palram Anchor Kit for Nature Series Greenhouses, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SQ169OQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_yvwsOau13nG2f

heheh, I can handle lego directions and it would be just me and my daughter building it. She is a lego bad ass. 

On 4/21/2020 at 10:31 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Get people that are used to LEGO or ikea picture directions, and don’t be surprised if a few of the aluminum pieces are bent from transit.  We bought the separate tie down kit to try to alleviate the flimsiness issues in some of the reviews. 

Palram Anchor Kit for Nature Series Greenhouses, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SQ169OQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_yvwsOau13nG2f

Yep.  I built 2 of those things at a Charter School and it was infuriating trying to fit all the pieces together properly due to the bent aluminum and their tendency to ‘swell’ when hot.  

Edited by Trey3216

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to share a good story of pure kindness, and doing the right thing just because: https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/06/us/coronavirus-teacher-cares-for-baby-trnd/index.html

An elementary school teacher in Connecticut says she is taking care of a newborn baby boy after getting a phone call from a student's mother who was eight months pregnant, when she was hospitalized suddenly with Covid-19 symptoms.

Baby Neysel turned 1-month-old over the weekend, but his parents, Zully and Marvin, have not been able to hold him.

Instead, Neysel is staying with Luciana Lira, one of their 7-year-old son's teachers, who agreed to care for the baby until it is safe for him to come home.

When it was time for Neysel to leave the hospital after five days in the NICU, Lira said Marvin was afraid to take his son home, concerned that he himself might also have Covid-19.

Lira, who is married with an 11-year-old son, offered to take the baby home for a few days, while they waited for their test results.

Two days later, Marvin tested positive, Lira said.

"So thank God I decided to take that baby home."

Lira had frequent video conferences with Marvin and Zully's mother in Guatemala so they could see the baby. They also got to all connect with the hospital, so they could be with Zully while she was in a coma.

"Even though her daughter was in critical condition, she always wanted to say a prayer by her bedside," Lira said.

Zully recovered after getting a plasma treatment and was able to be removed from the ventilator, Lira said.

Do the good and right thing, because it's the good and right thing.  Good stuff.

• Like 3

If you still have a regular paycheck, give to a local food bank. buying takeout or going to a local restaurant is a nice way to support them, but the biggest bang for your buck is helping people to eat. 

And if you're working from home, most likely saving money on gas, clothes cleaning, daily lunches out, etc.; give some/all of that savings to an organization that are helping others. You're still at the same point you would have been.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Too lazy to link it but theres an amazing story on CNN about a retired farmer in Kansas sending one of his few N95 masks to NY.  Mailed a letter to Governor Cuomo who actually got it.  Cuomo got in touch with the Governor of Kansas.  The elderly gentleman, who had left Kansas State back in 1971 a few credits short of a degree to go home and work the family farm after his dad died, was just given an honorary degree from KSU in gratitude. 

That's humanity all around.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

Too lazy to link it but theres an amazing story on CNN about a retired farmer in Kansas sending one of his few N95 masks to NY.  Mailed a letter to Governor Cuomo who actually got it.  Cuomo got in touch with the Governor of Kansas.  The elderly gentleman, who had left Kansas State back in 1971 a few credits short of a degree to go home and work the family farm after his dad died, was just given an honorary degree from KSU in gratitude. 

Yep, saw that.  Very cool story.  Good on the Wildcats.

On 4/2/2020 at 3:23 AM, Wally Fairway said:

I've decided that the next time I go to the grocery store, I'm going to buy some gift cards and give them randomly to workers at the store.

I'm thinking maybe $10 - $25 cards, totaling $100 per trip. We are going maybe once a week, so this is less than I'm saving by sheltering at home.

It's not a lot, but it's something.

On 4/3/2020 at 3:09 PM, Brisketexan said:

So I've been fighting back the tears a good bit today.  As the days have gone by, I've seen more and more images of doctors and nurses weary, and exhausted.  And not exhausted as in "tired from a long shift."  Nope, something altogether different.

docdoc.jpg?w=1200&h=630&crop=1&resize=12

200317-cremona-icu-al-1532_3eaad0ce0b6b8

I've always voraciously consumed history books, so many of them about conflict (WWII, Vietnam, etc.). In most of them, there is an image as old as human history: an exhausted soldier, slumped and spent after battle - after the horrific task of simply doing his duty, and seeing and experiencing what no human should ever have to. And the haunting part of every such image isn't the physical exhaustion -- it's seeing the sapped mental energy, the shattered emotions.

I've spent my life looking at such images of people wearing camouflage and helmets. Now...I see the same, but the spent souls are wearing scrubs and masks. The fight is the same. The duty is the same. And the costs...so dreadfully the same. The debt that can't be repaid....the same.

I'm not sure what I feel most strongly.  It fucking shatters me to know and see what healthcare professionals are going through right now.  But that they are continuing to step up, day after day, at risk of their own lives, at risk of their own mental health and wellbeing, to do what has to be done for all of us -- well, that inspires me.  It's the best of what we are, and what we can be.  

Maybe I'm just having a day.  Maybe it's been a long week.  But I can't get it out of my mind.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:54 AM, Dahobbs said:

They get a lot more meals out for the dollar than Houston's food bank. Good on them, donated for my birth city. 

On 4/7/2020 at 4:13 PM, Chewbacca said:

Thanks for the reminder, Brisket.  I gave to Food Bank of the Rockies, which is our big food bank in Denver.  

On 4/8/2020 at 4:12 PM, InkaUtexas said:

Here ya go @Brisketexan. This group covers and supports all the counties surrounding Travis. They are in some trouble right now. We saw the lines last weekend at the Austin location. Cars for miles. I just got back from Hays where a friend works. Pretty empty, lots of hungry people and more coming everyday. 

Good on you for pushing this Sir. You are right, it is our time to help anyone we can. NOW. 

Stop it guys.  You folks are going to fuck around and ruin our Surlian reputation.

J/K of course.  Your actions have brought a big smile on my face and given me a renewed sense of hope.

Well done gentlemen, well done...

On 4/11/2020 at 11:24 AM, Brisketexan said:

Quoting to bump.
This is what we’re supposed to do in times like these. This is a once-in-multiple generations crisis - we need to know, our kids need to know, future generations need to know that this is how we responded.

I just dished up $250 to the central Texas food bank.  It's not my hometown but the San Antonio bank didn't have the match going on there(at least not showing up on the webpage).  Heck they didn't even have a donate button on the main page.

So I figured more bang for my buck, and feed more people.   Dang I feel good for some reason, lol

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

The bad news is that farmer is going to suit up for the football team and run for 200 yards against us in the fall.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...