Who has the Science? Making food Corona safe

Baboontyme

I've been wondering about this and I can only find limited info online. 

They do not think the virus can live in/be passed on in food, as respiratory viruses in the past could not be (MERS, SARS, Avian were mentioned). If it can be passed via surface to surface contact, though, how could it not be passed via a pizza or lunchmeat? Say you were to order Dominos and the dude taking the pie out of the oven and putting it into the box is infected and sneezes on your pie and you're eating it 30 minutes later? That doesn't make sense to me that it couldn't be passed along that way. 

Anyone have any good info? I'm expecting to be cooking a lot but sometimes I may just want to get the kids a hot and ready or something. 

Some links - https://www.fsai.ie/faq/coronavirus.html

https://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumer/safety/Pages/NOVEL-CORONAVIRUS-AND-FOOD-SAFETY.aspx

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coronavirus-food-what-to-know_l_5e600d6bc5b644545ea4913b

2 hours ago, futureman said:

I would assume that if it made into your stomach without finding purchase in your lungs that your stomach acid would kill it fairly quickly and easily.  but I’m just an armchair pathologist. 

Is that why there's no such thing as food poisoning or salmonella ?

26 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Is that why there's no such thing as food poisoning or salmonella ?

those are bacteria with thick cell walls conditioned to live in shitty environments.  viruses are only DNA/RNA and a protein coat.  but I’m just an armchair microbiologist. 

• Like 2

On 3/13/2020 at 5:33 PM, Baboontyme said:

I have a couple of cans of this semi-permeable non osmotic cereal varnish? maybe that will work. 

I’ve got to give a speech to a trade group. I’d like to mention it. Write up a brief summary and have it to me by the end of the day. Layman’s terms, not any of that inside bullshit jargon that nobody understands!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Now is not the time for half measures. Why sit at home, waiting for pizza? Sell your home, buy the pizza place, and go live inside it. It should have more than enough food supplies for you to cook your own pizza for months.

What about the toilet paper man !!??  What about the toilet paper ??!!  Won't someone think about the ........ toilet paper ??!!!!!

• Like 1

I am still shaking my head over finding out the local store is sold out of fresh eggs and damn near out of bread.  WTF are people thinking?  Hey you fkn morons, if it's the end of the world, you are only going to gain a few extra days, or be murdered by someone over what you have.

27 minutes ago, AnTiM said:

I am still shaking my head over finding out the local store is sold out of fresh eggs and damn near out of bread.  WTF are people thinking?  Hey you fkn morons, if it's the end of the world, you are only going to gain a few extra days, or be murdered by someone over what you have.

Yep. HEB is saying their supply is as consistent as ever and not to be fucking stupid.  

41 minutes ago, Zombie said:

So yea or nay, is it ethical/safe to order delivery? I want to support local restaurants but not endanger workers or my family. 

All accounts say mostly safe. It’s not food borne. Wash hands, remove from container, wash hands, eat. 

49 minutes ago, Js1 said:

All accounts say mostly safe. It’s not food borne. Wash hands, remove from container, wash hands, eat. 

I’m not as worried about it being on the food as I am on the packaging.  If it can live on railings and doorknobs, why can’t it live on a box or a bag?

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I’m not as worried about it being on the food as I am on the packaging.  If it can live on railings and doorknobs, why can’t it live on a box or a bag?

Same. I am using wipes or Lysol on every damn thing I'm bringing into the house. I literally sprayed a pineapple down with Lysol today. It smells lovely. 

On 3/15/2020 at 3:15 PM, Zombie said:

So yea or nay, is it ethical/safe to order delivery? I want to support local restaurants but not endanger workers or my family. 

If you want to be very cautious then put the packaging on an isolated spot on your counter and open the packaging. Wash hands then transfer food to microwave/oven safe container or a stove top pan then immediately throw packaging away. Disinfect the spot the packaging was sitting then wash hands again and use whatever preferred method to heat up the food. Doesn't take long because it just needs to reach a temp over 165 F on the surface to kill any virus that found it's way to the food surface between the time it finished cooking and when packaging was sealed. If you want to be really cautious then wash hands again then eat. 

I've always reheated food I got delivered or took home because the time to transfer from restaurant to house always cools it too much for my liking. The only thing I won't do now is order food that would be very unappetizing to heat up to 165F like salads or cold sandwiches. 

20 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

If you want to be very cautious then put the packaging on an isolated spot on your counter and open the packaging. Wash hands then transfer food to microwave/oven safe container or a stove top pan then immediately throw packaging away. Disinfect the spot the packaging was sitting then wash hands again and use whatever preferred method to heat up the food. Doesn't take long because it just needs to reach a temp over 165 F on the surface to kill any virus that found it's way to the food surface between the time it finished cooking and when packaging was sealed. If you want to be really cautious then wash hands again then eat. 

I've always reheated food I got delivered or took home because the time to transfer from restaurant to house always cools it too much for my liking. The only thing I won't do now is order food that would be very unappetizing to heat up to 165F like salads or cold sandwiches. 

This image suddenly popped into my head...why ??

Unknown-2.jpeg