What started the toilet paper thing with this virus?

Not getting it. I go to Sam's once a quarter and get TP. Lasts my family of 4 for a good 3 months. Time to buy again and cant find any, yes, I see everybody has been buying a lot of it.

Anyhow there is there a lot of water on the shelf and other staples like rice and canned soup? Really?

Toilet paper.

"Social media posts led people to believe, inaccurately, that the raw materials for masks and toilet paper are the same, and have the same Chinese source, reported the paper."

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-panic-buying-toilet-paper-stockpiling-photos-2020-3#shoppers-in-tokyo-were-limited-to-one-packet-of-toilet-paper-per-person-at-the-end-of-february-after-another-flurry-of-buying-2

I also read some other blathering from a psychiatrist about other reasons for panic buying. This shit is fascinating to me, really. 

On a related topic, virus profiteers: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html?referringSource=articleShare

basically people that jumped ahead of the curve to buy as much hand sanitizer as they could by traveling through several states. Now amazon won’t let them price gouge.

i get that these people have invested their time and claim that alcohol based products are expensive to ship but I laugh when he talks how he serves a purpose to smooth out market inefficiencies. When in fact he’s created the market inefficiency by hoarding it and now wants to basically ship it back to communities where it originally was at.  

If fucking idiots would buy stuff like they normally do there would be plenty for everyone . Just shows how fucking stupid so many people are on social media .

Exactly like the false hysteria during the hurricane where the idiots caused a gas shortage .

Had a hard time biting my tongue yesterday at the store making snarky remarks to all the people loaded up with shit on their carts.

I can guarantee if something more serious then this comes along it won’t be the war, disease , etc that causes society to implode it will be dumbfucks fighting and shooting each other over fucking toilet paper

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Quagmire said:

If fucking idiots would buy stuff like they normally do there would be plenty for everyone . Just shows how fucking stupid so many people are on social media .

Exactly like the false hysteria during the hurricane where the idiots caused a gas shortage .

Had a hard time biting my tongue yesterday at the store making snarky remarks to all the people loaded up with shit on their carts.

I can guarantee if something more serious then this comes along it won’t be the war, disease , etc that causes society to implode it will be dumbfucks fighting and shooting each other over fucking toilet paper

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

On a related topic, virus profiteers: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html?referringSource=articleShare

basically people that jumped ahead of the curve to buy as much hand sanitizer as they could by traveling through several states. Now amazon won’t let them price gouge.

i get that these people have invested their time and claim that alcohol based products are expensive to ship but I laugh when he talks how he serves a purpose to smooth out market inefficiencies. When in fact he’s created the market inefficiency by hoarding it and now wants to basically ship it back to communities where it originally was at.  

The next crisis I am totally doing what this guy did but I'll resell to hospitals and clinics enough to get my money back and maybe a bit extra for shipping/delivery. Karen the stay at home mom doesn't need to be buying 40 bottles of hand sanitizer from this guy at inflated prices while the facilities who really need it can't get it at a decent price.

44 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

. I figure in a week or so the stores will restock and all the stupid people will already have way more than they need

They will restock and hopefully "they" will stay home, hopefully everyone calms the fuck down. 

Saw on amazon 12 oz of purell for $155 or best offer. That was on Wednesday.  People are fucking crazy.

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don’t understand the water and bread thing either. It’s like people think they’re going to be on a bread and water diet and be shitting all day

Those people have obviously never been on a bread and water diet.

23 hours ago, Quagmire said:

This is exactly why once this current non sense dies off I will be purchasing one of those emergency survival kits with MRE's and other stuff.   This along with other essentials which I usually stock up on before hurricane season for which now I will have a year around supply.

Humanity is stuck on stupid and I refuse to be part of it.

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Like 1

This is exactly why once this current non sense dies off I will be purchasing one of those emergency survival kits with MRE's and other stuff.   This along with other essentials which I usually stock up on before hurricane season for which now I will have a year around supply.
Humanity is stuck on stupid and I refuse to be part of it.
We did this after hurricane Michael. We have our bags and boxes identified in the event of a bug out. Propane bottles, stove, MREs, lights, tow straps, gas cans etc. Not living that life again. 30 mins of preparedness goes along way to survival.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

We should do a social experiment and pay one of those Twitter bots to cause a run on something stupid.  Like "the same chemical that is in wiper fluid is needed for the virus test.  Stock up on wiper fluid NOW!! It's could be months before we see wiper fluid again!!!"

There's a Merv Griffin Windex joke in here somewhere but I'm too lazy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

FYI if any of you are needing toilet paper the Academy in Mesquite has a few OU shirts still available. 2XL and 3XL are the same price as the other sizes so you get more ass coverage for your dollar.

My slightly regarded aggy wife(bless her heart and not sorry no pics) sent me a text with UT shirts saying the same thing.  I quickly texted her back saying I know an aggy must have came up with that idea because they couldn't tell the difference between textile material and their diploma.  She didn't think it was funny.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

We should do a social experiment and pay one of those Twitter bots to cause a run on something stupid.  Like "the same chemical that is in wiper fluid is needed for the virus test.  Stock up on wiper fluid NOW!! It's could be months before we see wiper fluid again!!!"

spacer.png