Corona Prep: does it make sense to buy medical equipment?

Zombie

I have elderly parents and there have been a lot of stories in the news about hospitals being potentially overwhelmed and short of necessary medical equipment. To that end, does it make sense to buy medical equipment for the house such as a respiratory machine and similar items to care for loved ones if a hospital is unable to? Is this just paranoia run amuck?

So you're asking, knowing that hospitals are facing a drastic supply shortages, should you get your hands on comparable equipment and hoard it, directly leading to the death of who knows how many patients, so that you could hypothetically try to fill the roles of healthcare professionals in an attempt to save your parents' lives if they were to get sick?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

So you're asking, knowing that hospitals are facing a drastic supply shortages, should you get your hands on comparable equipment and hoard it, directly leading to the death of who knows how many patients, so that you could hypothetically try to fill the roles of healthcare professionals in an attempt to save your parents' lives if they were to get sick?

Not at all.  I would make it available to anyone who needs it. And I doubt medical facilities are buying used equipment from EBay. If I heard about a medical facility needing equipment, I would immediately provide it to them.  Calm down with the holier than thou self righteous attitude man. I'm not talking about hoarding it away, just about making up for any local deficiencies.  Jesus Christ, no need to be a fucking dick. 

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1

Yeah, I was going to say, post 2 assumes that hospitals would acquire all the equipment on the secondary market.  They might, might not.

That said, while you could probably acquire an oxygen generator and that might be of some assistance, the real item of need seems to be a ventilator, which provides artificial respiration.  Not sure you'll find those and even if you did, not sure they're safe to use at home.

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

So does offering ad-hoc untrained medical care and/or equipment. Jesus. 

You're right of course. But let's say hospitals are full to the tilt and your loved ones can't get care, do you just say fuck it and if they die they die?

6 minutes ago, royiv said:

So in this hypothetical situation, are you planning to intubate your parents yourself? Are you going to also buy some secondhand laryngoscopes?

Shit man, I don't know. I'm a dumb lawyer like most posters here. I guess I figured I would figure it out in an emergency. Better than doing nothing. 

Edited by Zombie

5 hours ago, Zombie said:

I have elderly parents and there have been a lot of stories in the news about hospitals being potentially overwhelmed and short of necessary medical equipment. To that end, does it make sense to buy medical equipment for the house such as a respiratory machine and similar items to care for loved ones if a hospital is unable to? Is this just paranoia run amuck?

To answer your first question, no not medical equipment. It's not paranoia, IMO, but it is the growing realization that your parents are vulnerable and this is a serious virus for them were they to catch it. Keep them secluded and well nourished. Make sure they are moving around enough even though they can't really go out. If they fall ill, then will it be upon you to call the doctor? Them? Make sure you have what you need in order to do so in case you need to move quickly. Best of luck to you and them.

4 hours ago, Zombie said:

Shit man, I don't know. I'm a dumb lawyer like most posters here. I guess I figured I would figure it out in an emergency. Better than doing nothing. 

Or what if doing something kills your parents versus doing nothing doesn't kill your parents? Buying secondhand equipment off the internet that you have no idea how to use and attempting to intubate a patient will certainly kill them. Doing "nothing" and offering supportive care certainly doesn't kill them.

Not at all.  I would make it available to anyone who needs it. And I doubt medical facilities are buying used equipment from EBay. If I heard about a medical facility needing equipment, I would immediately provide it to them.  Calm down with the holier than thou self righteous attitude man. I'm not talking about hoarding it away, just about making up for any local deficiencies.  Jesus Christ, no need to be a fucking dick. 

Sorry for coming on too strong. My mom is also very high risk and I'm all kinds of on edge, so I understand where you're coming from. Just wanted to drive home the problems with the idea.

when I came out of my comma...drowsy from the comma and all.

But was it an oxford comma?
  • Like 1