Card Games for Waiting out Coronavirus

Dbeasy

We want to play card games over the coming days and weeks to pass some time, since we can't get out much. We sometimes will have 2 players, or 4. What are people's favorite card games to play? A google search produces a long list of games but it's hard to figure out which ones are really fun.

Open-handed Uno is the tits. So much more possible strategy than closed-hand. 

My wife and I played a ton of two-person spades in the 18 days after Hurricane Wilma that we didn't have power. 

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/complete-rules-of-spades-for-two-players-412489

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

If you like to get your nerd on, I can't overstate the wondrousness of Race for the Galaxy.

And I'm veering off topic, but if you've got four people of varying ages and are in the mood for a board game, please consider Small World--a great mix of skill and luck plus relatively easy to learn.

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Solitaire

This.  There are many varieties of solitaire and other card games to be played by one or more persons while using a simple deck of cards.  I believe there are several versions of Hoyle's Card Games available to download or you could get the compendium book (I have one and it is awesome) delivered through Amazon. 

You will never run out of card games to play and some are quite challenging.  In olden times, people had quite a bit of time on their hands and no TV.  Some of those folks created ingenious card games (for entertainment purposes only...according to Hoyle).

check it out 

Some good packaged card games, that I would have been skeptical of, but are pretty fun are:

Skip Bo (my aunt and grandmother, who were once bridge players, played this with their friends and family for 20 years)

Phase 10 (a rummy-type game).

Rook (very old-school, bridge-lite for four players).

On 3/15/2020 at 12:40 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Open-handed Uno is the tits. So much more possible strategy than closed-hand. 

My wife and I played a ton of two-person spades in the 18 days after Hurricane Wilma that we didn't have power. 

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/complete-rules-of-spades-for-two-players-412489

What's this?

For two people, Gin Rummy is fun.  My 12 yo son and I have been playing that a bunch.  Hearts and Spades are great for four players.  You can play a modified version of Spades with two players as well.

I'm glad you brought this up.  We used to play the shit out of VC in high school.  It was some card game that a Vietnamese friend of mine taught us.  Anyone else play that?  I need to go back and re-visit the rules and teach it to my kids.  That game was a blast.

The guys in my fantasy football group are all scattered around the US and we played Texas Hold'em this past Saturday night.

Use a phone/tablet to download the Pokerrrr2 app (Android or iOS) and then we used out computers to ZOOM.

Warning, if you get a text or a phone call on your phone and accept it, it will kick you off the app for a few minutes while you try to reconnect. The game doesn't stop either, so if you were dealt some nice cards, but aren't connected to stay in, then the app thinks that you've folded and it sends your cards to the middle and you have to keep hoping that it will reconnect. But, depending on how long a hand goes, you might be able to get back on before it's your turn on the next hand.

It was pretty fun. We had a $40 buy in that was "$400" on the app and if you lose all your money, you can keep buying in at the same amount and the app keeps track of what everyone has put in.