Bread Thread

Lurch

I made cinnamon rolls last night and need help.

After slicing the dozen rolls, I put 6 in the freezer and 6 in the refrigerator. The next step in the recipe was to let the rolls rise again (the yeast ball was allowed to rise earlier before being rolled out), and it said this was the right time to freeze/refrigerate if you wanted to pause and rise/cook/eat these later.

This morning I took the refrigerated rolls out, left them in the cold pan they were stored on, and set them on he counter, still covered with saran wrap. I then went back to sleep for 90 mins. When I came back, they were a funky shape, like a mountain whose top had blown off. Ie, the bottoms had spread out yet the tops were pretty much the same size as when I pulled them out.

I decided to soldier on and put them on a fresh pan while reshaping them, and put them in an oven (uncovered) that I had warmed to 100* then turned off, so they could rise. 30 mins later they had risen considerably but returned to that funky shape and begun falling apart. At this point I declared them failed, but cooked them anyway just to see if anything was salvageable. The interior wasnt horribad, but yeah total disaster.

I have the frozen 6 which I just pulled from freezer and put in refrigerator. I plan on trying again tomorrow. Anything I should do differently tomorrow morning, other than just planning to go get donuts?

Maybe this can just be a thread for my bread disasters. These were supposed to be hamburger buns. Way too big, yet not tall enough. Next time I’ll just squeeze all 8 into the big pan.

Also, tasted like shit.

e4bb85a5d23aa079afaa84127838b389.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just make an easy white bread in the bread machine.  Stocked up on flour etc so I can make many loaves the next few weeks if I have to. 

at some point I’ll try Hawaiian sweet bread but that involves pineapple juice as sweetener and I never manage to buy any. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

16 OUNCES BEER (ANY)

4 CUPS SELF RISING FLOUR

2-3 TABLESPOONS SUGAR (More if you like it a little sweeter)

MELTED BUTTER FOR THE TOP

Mix beer flour and sugar in a large bowl.

Put in a greased bread pan.

Spread melted butter on top.

Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes on 350. 

Cool slightly and then slice from the bottom.

Boom !

• Like 1

Finally made a decent bread last night/today. Simple clover leaf dinner rolls. Shit ton of work for a newbie, but I could see how one would get much better/faster at it over time. Slammed them with brisket I had smoked/frozen last month and was not disappointed.

10 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

16 OUNCES BEER (ANY)

4 CUPS SELF RISING FLOUR

2-3 TABLESPOONS SUGAR (More if you like it a little sweeter)

MELTED BUTTER FOR THE TOP

Mix beer flour and sugar in a large bowl.

Put in a greased bread pan.

Spread melted butter on top.

Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes on 350. 

Cool slightly and then slice from the bottom.

Boom !

you sound poor.

this is my grandfather's "tavern bread" which is the best sandwich bread i've ever eaten.  handwritten notes transcribed by me:

3/4 cup water for the yeast
4 1/2 tsp sugar of which 1 tsp is placed in the water, which should be lukewarm.  1 1/2 tbsp yeast.

6-7 cups unbleached bread flour, which will be added 1 cup at a time to the milk bowl

1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 cup canola oil, 1/4 cup honey, 1 3/4 cup milk.  put milk in 5 qt pan, then add the salt, oil and honey.  heat to lukewarm, stirring constantly to ensure the honey doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. 

when the yeast has bloomed, place 3 cups of flour into stand mixer, make a hole in the bottom and pour in milk and then yeast.  turn on the mixer and slowly get up to #4 (kitchen aid).  let it work for a couple minutes, then add a 4th cup of flour.  keep slowly adding flour.  you want at least 6 cups, hopefully 6 1/2, maybe even 7.  do not add more water.  touch the dough now and then, when it is no longer sticky, empty the dough onto a counter.  as necessary to remove stickiness, add soup spoons of flour as the bread is on the counter.  put the down in a large enough bowl to let it go through the first rise.  cover with a cloth for 1 hour.

after the hour, roll the dough with a rolling pin to a rectangle as wide as your loaf pan.  roll into a cylindrical shape and place into loaf pan.  place a cloth on top of the dough and let rise a second time, which may take less time.  it is ready when it has risen to the rim of the pan. 

preheat your oven to 350° for at least 30 minutes (ideally this time has elapsed by the time your dough has risen to the rim of the pan).  bake for 15 minutes, then rotate, cover with aluminum foil and bake another 15 minutes, rotate pan again, then bake another 10 minutes, then start checking for doneness (so, check after 40 minutes total baking time).  the bread is done when it is 207° in the center and 210° at the ends.  turn onto rack and let cool completely before slicing.

i think this makes 2 loaves and the pan he used is a 4 1/2" x 16" vollrath loaf pan #5216

edit: i guess the rest of the sugar goes in with the dry ingredients

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 2

On 3/14/2020 at 9:30 PM, Lurch said:

Maybe this can just be a thread for my bread disasters. These were supposed to be hamburger buns. Way too big, yet not tall enough. Next time I’ll just squeeze all 8 into the big pan.

Also, tasted like shit.

e4bb85a5d23aa079afaa84127838b389.jpg

spacer.png

Edited by AustinMT
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, NoName said:

bumping to see if anyone else is doing this with Self Quarantining these days...

Wife made some beer bread with a similar recipe to Steamboat's last week.

Yesterday she made a rosemary focaccia.  It does not suck.

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

There’s been a run on flour here so I’ve not done more yet.

My wife has like 6 different types of flour for a total of about 8-10 bags, and it has been a source of ridicule by me for years, and really should be a post in the "Trivial things that annoy the shit out of you" thread.  Keep in mind this is her usual stock.  She hasn't bought a single bag this year.

Now she's walking around like

seattle seahawks ugh GIF

• Like 4

I’ve got a badass recipe foray easy honey oatmeal loaf bread (can be made into rolls in you prefer). Makes the best fucking toast you’ll ever have.

I’ll pull out the recipe book and transcribe it tomorrow. It’s my aunt’s recipe, and she might be the only cook/baker better than my mom in my life. I honestly have no idea how my uncle doesn’t weigh like tree fiddy with her amazing cooking.

5 hours ago, Lurch said:

Now you have my attention

Ingredients:

500g tapioca flour, 1 cup water, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 2 eggs, 100g shredded parm, salt to taste. 

Boil the liquids and the oil in large pot, slowly incorporate flour. Cut heat and remove pot from heat. Fold flour in with spoon until one gelatinous mass remains. Transfer mass to large bowl and sit until able to touch. Add eggs and cheese and mix/knead with hands. Roll in to quarter sized balls and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

• Like 3

On 3/20/2020 at 6:31 PM, Wiler77 said:

My wife has like 6 different types of flour for a total of about 8-10 bags, and it has been a source of ridicule by me for years, and really should be a post in the "Trivial things that annoy the shit out of you" thread.  Keep in mind this is her usual stock.  She hasn't bought a single bag this year.

Now she's walking around like

seattle seahawks ugh GIF

Update:

In addition to the Rosemary Focaccia, she's now made bagels on 2 different occasions.  There is no shortage on our usual bread or bagels at the store.  She hasn't bought flour or made bread in at least 9 months, but now that there's a shortage on flour at the store, she's using up all of her stock.

The homemade bread is fantastic, though.

my family is from georgia.  i can make cornbread and biscuits like a motherfucker but real bread - sandwich bread, hamburger buns, baguettes?  forget about it.  i had a bread machine for years but never liked any of the bread that came out of it.  the center was nice but the outer crust too hard and dry and overcooked.  

bought a loaf of bread from texas french bread and the lakeline farmers market a couple of weeks ago and it was terrible.  small, thinly-sliced, dry as fuck.  i like multigrain bread from heb or earthgrains or oroweat, and will stick to that from now on.

On 3/14/2020 at 11:29 PM, futureman said:

I love warm bread with lots of butter. 

This.  Back in the day my grandma would buy these frozen packs of bread dough (maybe frozen maybe not).  She would let it sit for a few hours\a day and then bake it. I circled that oven with a butter knife in one hand a large tub of margarine in other.  Best stuff ever.  If I had to choose one source of food to live on the rest of my life, it would be bread and butter.

Here's that oatmeal bread recipe I mentioned:

2 C boiling water

1 C oatmeal (quick or old fashioned)

1/2 C honey

1 T salt

2 T butter

Mix in stand mixer on medium with dough hook until cooled to warm (a few minutes)
Meanwhile bloom 2 T active dry yeast with 2/3 C non-chlorinated warm water and a couple teaspoons of honey in a medium container.  Mix then set aside (will foam quickly; don't use a small bowl).  Once the oatmeal mix is cooled to ~100F or less, add in the yeast.  With mixer running, add AP flour 1/2 C at a time until dough comes together (I think it's about 6 C total).  It's a moist dough, but shouldn't be too sticky.  Once the dough comes together, transfer to a large greased bowl, cover with plastic  and let rise in a warm area until doubled.  Once doubled, punch down and knead for about a minute, then divide in half.  Form each half into a rough loaf shape then transfer to a greased non-stick loaf pan. Cover with towel and let rise another 20-30 minutes (while your oven preheats).  Score down the middle, then bake @ 350F for about 40 minutes

Finished product should look something like this.

No photo description available.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns
  • Like 2

have read this elsewhere, as well.  are people baking a lot of bread or what?  I’ve never thought about buying yeast ever in my life. 

Was logical next step. Our stores were out of bread for a week, so many (like me) said “fuck it, I’ll make my own”

5 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Please post your cornbread and biscuit recipes also, I love those and have never hit one that I felt was amazing.

i've been a big fan of Bon Appetit's Buttermilk biscuits: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/bas-best-buttermilk-biscuits 

one of the reasons I love BA's recipe is because it makes square biscuits so you don't have to cut them up and you do the mixing in a food processor. 

that said, I have never had a Stella Parks/Bravetart recipe that has ever led me astray: http://herbakinglab.com/bravetart-buttermilk-biscuits-with-strawberries-and-cream/ (this was pulled from her book)

This girl did a bakeoff of 16 recipes - https://www.thepancakeprincess.com/2019/05/30/best-biscuit-bake-off/

It's a really solid read to see how folks were different with how they did things on their recipes (Why it's special) then compared them to each other and includes some nerdy stuff like this chart showing compositions, which I have spoilered below

Spoiler

recipecomp.jpg

I assume if you are making biscuits you know this but in case others don't - do not use silpat.

USE PARCHMENT PAPER, NOT SILPATS:

Unfortunately, silpats don’t allow the biscuit bottoms to breathe as easily, according to Stella Parks. Parchment paper is the best option

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dry Elbows said:

@NoName have you tried Willa Jean's biscuit recipe?  Been thinking about making those, but the Bon Appetit recipe looks good.

I have not, looking around guessing this is them?

Looks good and I think i have most of what the requirement is. I have tried the grated and then chilled butter move before and it works, just is a mess...but using that 00 flour or cake flour sounds like an interesting change.

https://john-craig-v203.squarespace.com/50-states-of-biscuits/2016/9/26/week-31-willa-jean

recipe:

Spoiler

Biscuits

2cup caputo flour (cake flour works too)

5tablespoons butter, grated through a cheese grater and chilled

2tablespoons baking powder

2teaspoons sugar

1teaspoon salt

1cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 365

Add all dry to a large bowl and mix by hand until combined.

Grate cold butter and add to dry mixture.

Add buttermilk to mixture and combine until all of the dry ingredients are hydrated.

Put the dough onto a floured surface and roll into a rectangle 12inch by 8inch.

Fold the top of the rectangle halfway toward the middle, fold the bottom of the rectangle on top. Flour the top and invert.

Roll into an approximate 12 inch by 8inch rectangle.

With seams facing down, roll into a square.

Cut into squares of desired size. Brush with buttermilk. Bake at 365 until tops and bottoms are golden brown and the middle have set. Around 30 minutes.