COVID-19 Mega Thread of Entertainment

Js1

Great thead idea.

I still gotta work until I get quarantined, but the wife and kids are off for at least a couple weeks.  Here's my current pandemic-prioritized watchlist (with 12 and 15yo boys):

Finish up what we've started:
M*A*S*H*
Cheers
As much Simpsons as the pandemic will allow
We've worked our way up to Diamonds are Forever in the James Bond films
Finish off what we haven't seen in the Pink Panther movies

New stuff:
World's End
The Dead Don't Die

Revisit:
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland 1&2
WWZ (yes, the book is better and we've all read it)
Alien/Aliens

Open for more suggestions.  I'm sure I've left stuff off, but this is a hurriedly made list.  Hope I make it through it before I succumb.

There’s a channel on YouTube, Pushing up roses or something, and I’ve caught her dissecting Murder She Wrote episodes, and explaining just how batshit crazy some of them are.  While I saw the show as a kid (it’s what was on and the parents wanted to watch during that time slot), I’m kind of just wanting to watch them as an adult.  

Watching the original 1980s G I Joe cartoons with my 7 year-old here and there.  They didn’t hold up that well, but are captivating to kids.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

Watched the Sonic Hedgehog movie and The Dictator. Wife's choices. 

My new projector for my media room arrives Wednesday. Nothing Like the threat of being stuck at home for 2+ weeks straight to get you to hit buy on that entertainment item you've been thinking about but hadn't pulled the trigger yet. 

1 hour ago, Damor said:

Great thead idea.

I still gotta work until I get quarantined, but the wife and kids are off for at least a couple weeks.  Here's my current pandemic-prioritized watchlist (with 12 and 15yo boys):

Finish up what we've started:
M*A*S*H*
Cheers
As much Simpsons as the pandemic will allow
We've worked our way up to Diamonds are Forever in the James Bond films
Finish off what we haven't seen in the Pink Panther movies

New stuff:
World's End
The Dead Don't Die

Revisit:
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland 1&2
WWZ (yes, the book is better and we've all read it)
Alien/Aliens

Open for more suggestions.  I'm sure I've left stuff off, but this is a hurriedly made list.  Hope I make it through it before I succumb.

Based on your list if you haven't seen Hot Fuzz you should. I may just watch it again it cracks me up

• Like 1

the school where my mom and i work was already headed into spring break anyway, but now school is off until at least the 27th, so we're planning on ramming through a new series. It's sort of a spring break tradition of ours. In year's past we've done Breaking Bad and GoT (both of which i had seen, and GoT was actually still running). This year we've chosen The Americans. We're on episode 4 and so far so good. I'm digging it. 

Also, we just wrapped up Shameless on Netflix, which while I agree that it definitely falls off after a few seasons, i didn't have too much trouble sticking with it through all mine seasons on Netflix. Planning on knocking out season 10 when it gets posted, which will hopefully be in time to catch the final season live. Side note- we were watching Shameless when my mom recognized one of the actresses as a former student at our school. small world. 

37 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

the school where my mom and i work was already headed into spring break anyway, but now school is off until at least the 27th, so we're planning on ramming through a new series. It's sort of a spring break tradition of ours. In year's past we've done Breaking Bad and GoT (both of which i had seen, and GoT was actually still running). This year we've chosen The Americans. We're on episode 4 and so far so good. I'm digging it. 

Oh, I'm jealous. The Americans might be my second favorite series of all-time, right behind Breaking Bad. 

Wife and I have been watching Breaking Bad for a few weeks, and when it’s just the two of us, we’re covered (through Season 4, ep 3). But need ideas for family movies.  Teens, one being a mature boy and the other an emotionally immature girl with anxiety, so she’s easily disturbed by movies.  Suffice it to say “Contagion” (free streaming on Cinemax, btw) will be sitting on our DVR for awhile.

watched “The Upside” last night which was pretty much in the wheelhouse.

Edited by Sbbruin

4 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

I watched The Big Dollhouse with Pam Grier the other night.  It a Roger Corman-produced movie about wacky hijinks at a women's prison in the Philippines and is definitely a great movie for you Surlyites with kids. 

Spider Baby came on right after and it was a really weird low budget mess.  Lon Chaney Jr.  looked like he had a hangover from hell in all of his scenes.  The little girl from Old Yeller was a knife wielding killer.  

13 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

I watched The Big Dollhouse with Pam Grier the other night.  It a Roger Corman-produced movie about wacky hijinks at a women's prison in the Philippines 

If the Academy ever hands out the Oscar for best movie ever, this damn well better at least be a nominee 

13 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

It’d be nice if espn went ahead and ran that Bulls doc instead of waiting until June. 

Netflix, Hulu and Prime should follow Disney’s lead and drop some shit Way early. Would guarantee extra subscribers and traffic 

HBO too

SportsCenter is just sad and I don't see how they keep it going. Scott just said if we are on the air.

I watched Primal Rage in which special forces Big Foot confronts hunters Rambo style. I thought I no longer watched sports much. I am starting to realize I still do.

8 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Ditched cable for youtube TV not too long ago.  Did episode 1 of Westworld S3 do much in the way of indicating whether or not it is worth subscribing to HBO Now for? 

Lol I watched it and I’m still unsure what I watched. Felt like a show loosely related to Westworld. 

For pandemic themed entertainment:

Outbreak (movie) - obviously a classic, currently on Netflix

Pandemic (Netflix miniseries) - thought it was okay, lots of fluff about certain people that I found kinda boring, could've been 50% shorter

Contagion (movie) - assuming most people have seen this, but if not, it's a pretty interesting depiction that could mirror real life pretty soon

The Last Town on Earth (book by Thomas Mullen) - historical fiction novel about a small town that quarantined itself during the 1918 influenza pandemic and prevented outsiders from entering. I really enjoyed it but it's been a while since I read it.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Town-Earth-Novel/dp/0812975928

Pandemic (board game) - good for 2-4 players, players are all on the same team against the game, trying to prevent the pandemic from killing humanity. Wife and I have been playing it lately. Each game takes 30-60 minutes, pretty fun if you like games.

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Man-Games-ZM7101-Pandemic/dp/B00A2HD40E

20 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

It’d be nice if espn went ahead and ran that Bulls doc instead of waiting until June. 

Pretty sure that is what ESPN is doing. In the promos it now says "coming soon" instead of coming in June. 

They would be pretty smart to start it like next Monday in Prime Time and do at least a couple of episodes a week.

For pandemic themed entertainment:
Outbreak (movie) - obviously a classic, currently on Netflix
Pandemic (Netflix miniseries) - thought it was okay, lots of fluff about certain people that I found kinda boring, could've been 50% shorter
Contagion (movie) - assuming most people have seen this, but if not, it's a pretty interesting depiction that could mirror real life pretty soon
The Last Town on Earth (book by Thomas Mullen) - historical fiction novel about a small town that quarantined itself during the 1918 influenza pandemic and prevented outsiders from entering. I really enjoyed it but it's been a while since I read it.
https://www.amazon.com/Last-Town-Earth-Novel/dp/0812975928
Pandemic (board game) - good for 2-4 players, players are all on the same team against the game, trying to prevent the pandemic from killing humanity. Wife and I have been playing it lately. Each game takes 30-60 minutes, pretty fun if you like games.
https://www.amazon.com/Z-Man-Games-ZM7101-Pandemic/dp/B00A2HD40E

I told my ten year old son we should play Pandemic since it’s topical. He said “Yeah and we can save Risk for when there’s another world war!”

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Yeah, I get they're trying to make some money back but I'm not paying more than I would at the theater.

This highly benefits families who would be paying $10-12/ticket and are just paying $19.99 to see the movie

This highly fucks over single people who would be paying 2x to see a movie at home.  Fuck that noise. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

If you're worried about the price, just invite a bunch of friends over for it and split the cost. Lots of people sitting close together in your house, sharing food and drink together, what could possibly go wrong?

Normally I wear protection, but then I thought, “When am I gonna make it back to Haiti?”

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I've always loved 'outbreak' but somehow missed seeing 'contagion.'  how does it compare?  I'd be very surprised if it provides a character on the level of colonel sam daniels.

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

I've always loved 'outbreak' but somehow missed seeing 'contagion.'  how does it compare?  I'd be very surprised if it provides a character on the level of colonel sam daniels.

Contagion is really good. But it's a more grounded, realistic, "what if" take on its subject matter. So no, there's no Sam Danielses chewing scenery and no helicopter chase scenes.

Outbreak, Contagion, and 12 Monkeys was my go-to Virus movie trilogy a couple weekends ago.