NFL Will No Longer Penalize Positive Weed Tests

Degenerate Gardner

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Do they currently test or suspend for it? I can’t think of a single player that has ever sat because of weed.

If looking for someone recent:

Oklahoma had 5 players suspended before the Sugar Bowl, due to this same issue...

9 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

If looking for someone recent:

Oklahoma had 5 players suspended before the Sugar Bowl, due to this same issue...

Were they were suspended by the NCAA for a failed drug test? Or were they suspended by the team for disciplinary reasons related to failed drug tests? Because that's an important distinction

22 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Were they were suspended by the NCAA for a failed drug test? Or were they suspended by the team for disciplinary reasons related to failed drug tests? Because that's an important distinction

I could be reading the article wrong, but I think the NCAA dropped the hammer:

Dec 18, 2019 - Riley also said he would comment “when he can”. Oklahoma and LSU will play in the College Football Playoff at the Peach Bowl in Atlanta on ...

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

They really do try to tackle the big issues. How about banning wife beaters you overpaid cunts?

You have Randy Gregory over here missing entire seasons without hurting anyone other than himself, and you have Tyreek Hill over here like “suck my dick, haters. I just got paid, AND Im a super bowl champ after making arguably the biggest play in the game.”

You realize that there is indeed a penalty for failing a drug test for weed, right? It just doesn’t result in lost game time. Instead you get to play for free.  The fines associated with multiple failures are pretty extensive. 

Shit back when I was an elite athlete in my younger years, weed was my recovery medicine.  Alcohol will also take the edge off of aches and pains as well Ibuprofen, but both have worse side effects than marijuana, especially with daily use. For me the other aspect was unlike alcohol I was not taking in additional "bad" calories like I would with alcohol. When you are sore as shit especially after competitions, pot/weed/marijuana simply takes a little of the edge off.  Does taking 2 ibuprofen or 3 do the same thing?  Heck yes, does and even better job in all honesty, the anti-inflamation properties are excellent with Ibuprofen, especially when you are so sore and stiff you can barely stand upright without some extra effort.

Marijuana by contrast for me was more of a therapeutic that allowed me to push my body and gave some muting of my training aches and pains, without additional calories or liver/kidney damage.  Lung damage? Probably to some degree, but with my lung capacity back then, the potential capacity degradation, was easily offset by the additional training intensity better recover allowed me.

Anyhow that was my experience.   

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Shit back when I was an elite athlete in my younger years, weed was my recovery medicine.  Alcohol will also take the edge off of aches and pains as well Ibuprofen, but both have worse side effects than marijuana, especially with daily use. For me the other aspect was unlike alcohol I was not taking in additional "bad" calories like I would with alcohol. When you are sore as shit especially after competitions, pot/weed/marijuana simply takes a little of the edge off.  Does taking 2 ibuprofen or 3 do the same thing?  Heck yes, does and even better job in all honesty, the anti-inflamation properties are excellent with Ibuprofen, especially when you are so sore and stiff you can barely stand upright without some extra effort.

Marijuana by contrast for me was more of a therapeutic that allowed me to push my body and gave some muting of my training aches and pains, without additional calories or liver/kidney damage.  Lung damage? Probably to some degree, but with my lung capacity back then, the potential capacity degradation, was easily offset by the additional training intensity better recover allowed me.

Anyhow that was my experience.   

That sounds like the days of (real) hard-nosed, smash-mouth football..!

4 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

That sounds like the days of (real) hard-nosed, smash-mouth football..!

No I was swimming between 12-17,000 yards a week, practicing soccer 4 days a week, with soccer games on the weekend.  I was the guy who was the rabbit for the better football players (who also mostly smoked) when they would try to get back in shape for Summer drills.  I only wish Triathlons would have been around back then, I would have been able to crush. The first triathlon I did many years later I had to drive to fucking Del Rio to do, as it was the closest one to Austin.  I was way out of shape by then... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

No I was swimming between 12-17,000 yards a week, practicing soccer 4 days a week, with soccer games on the weekend.  I was the guy who was the rabbit for the better football players (who also mostly smoked) when they would try to get back in shape for Summer drills.  I only wish Triathlons would have been around back then, I would have been able to crush. The first triathlon I did many years later I had to drive to fucking Del Rio to do, as it was the closest one to Austin.  I was way out of shape by then... 

That is one hell of a great story..!

Hey my friend, you did more in that post (athletically) than most will do in there entire life... An inspiration to those looking to get the mojo back too (I'd bet)..!

9 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

The owners were fucking brilliant in this. Fuck over their high priced talent and get it passed by giving the 70 percent of players who make scraps a bigger scrap. 

That is a great strategical move...

As if the top tier athletes balked at the deal, it would have totally pissed off the majority of the practice squad/ and lesser (paid) position players...

14 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

That is a great strategical move...

As if the top tier athletes balked at the deal, it would have totally pissed off the majority of the practice squad/ and lesser (paid) position players...

Just a master class in strategic divide and conquer applied to the sports world. They got an extra game, didn't have to go to a 50-50 split, keep all future gambling related revenue 100% to themselves, and have effectively ended holdouts all for giving the players less practice time, no weed suspensions, an impartial arbiter, and bigger scraps.