Tell me about SMU

Longboard Horn

• 4 weeks later...

CHARLOTTE, N.C.  – The Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) announced its football schedule model for the next seven seasons on Monday, Oct. 30.

SMU, making its conference debut next fall, will host Boston College, Cal, Florida State and Pitt in 2024, while making trips to Duke, Louisville, Stanford and Virginia.

SMU will also host TCU, BYU and HCU as part of the 2024 home slate, giving the Mustangs seven home contests for next season.

The new conference schedule will continue with no divisions, feature 17 schools and will increase the number of annual conference matchups from 56 to 68. The top two teams based on conference winning percentage will compete in the ACC Football Championship Game on the first Saturday in December at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The Mustangs' lone non-conference road contest in 2024 will be at Vanderbilt.

The remainder of SMU's 2025-30 ACC pairings are listed below:

2025 ACC Schedule
Home: Louisville, Miami, Stanford, Syracuse
Away: Boston College, Cal, Clemson, Wake Forest

2026 ACC Schedule
Home: Boston College, Cal, Virginia, Wake Forest
Away: Florida State, Louisville, Stanford, Syracuse

2027 ACC Schedule
Home: Clemson, Georgia Tech, Stanford, Virginia Tech
Away: Cal, Pitt, Virginia, Wake Forest

2028 ACC Schedule
Home: Cal, Florida State, Louisville, North Carolina
Away: Georgia Tech, NC State, Stanford, Virginia Tech

2029 ACC Schedule
Home: Clemson, Georgia Tech, NC State, Stanford
Away: Boston College, Cal, Miami, Syracuse

2030 ACC Schedule
Home: Cal, Duke, Miami, Syracuse
Away: Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Pitt, Stanford

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 10:28 AM, HouTex said:

Went to the SMU game this past Saturday.  Fun time.  The Boulevard pregame tailgate thing is a great idea.  I randomly saw some UT friends I haven’t seen in 25+ years that live in Dallas.  I really like the smaller crowd.  And damn, I’ve probably never seen so many attractive 40–60 year old women in one place.  

Money has benefits.

New contract for Lashlee and more money for assistants...

After clinching a championship berth in the final season as a member of the American Athletic Conference, Rhett Lashlee has agreed to a multi-year extension at SMU.

Billy Embody of 247 shares that the extension comes with a raise that would put Lashlee "on par" with coaches in the ACC, where SMU is set to begin play in 2024 as a new member.

The report also shares that the salary pool for assistant coaches will be within the top 25 in college football, which would put them in the $7 million per year ballpark.

As a private school, SMU is not required to share salary figures.

https://footballscoop.com/news/rhett-lashlee-agrees-to-multi-year-extension-at-smu

• 2 weeks later...

Manny Diaz dips into his past for Duke offensive coordinator hire

An assistant under OC Rhett Lashlee on his Miami staff, Manny Diaz has tabbed Jonathan Brewer (SMU) as his offensive coordinator at Duke.

ZACH BARNETT     21 HOURS AGO

SMU co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Jonathan Brewer will be the offensive coordinator at Duke, according to multiple reports on Thursday.  Brewer spent the past two seasons at SMU, and was elevated to co-offensive coordinator in February. 

Overall, though, Brewer spent the past 11 seasons working under Rhett Lashlee, who was Diaz's offensive coordinator for his final two seasons at Miami. 

Working under Lashlee and Diaz at Miami, Brewer helped the Hurricanes jump from 98th to 32nd in total offense, 90th to 26th in scoring, and from 52nd to 29th in passing.

SMU ranked among the top 10 nationally in passing touchdowns over the last two seasons. Mustangs passers threw for 7,823 yards and 68 scoring strikes over that span. SMU is also one of six teams to average 40 points per game this season, which helped the team win its first conference championship since 1984.

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

I picked up a book, “The Pony Trap”, written ten years ago by an ex SMU football player. It’s basically an apologetic for the Pony Express days. 

It’s fascinating, the way SMU fans and old players will try to spin that they were victims, that they were doing nothing other programs were doing. Oh, the way they like to point at Texas (SMU PIs turned Texas in for: coaches letting injured players use their car to get to class - the players didn’t have cars, coaches giving players that flunked out bus fare home) as being on probation, too, but let off easier because the Horns were favored by the NCAA. 

I went to the ON3 site for SMU and saw much of the same. 

If I have to spell it out- SMU’s cheating was on a whole nuther level than everyone else’s. Their Regents chair knew and approved. Their AD knew and approved. They swore to the NcAA that they would stop, and still continued payments. 

SMU is unique- they have boosters, with money, that want SMU to be a top program. They just don’t have a lot of fans. They never have. They are incapable of organically growing into a top program, but they can lean into trying, again, to be “the best team money can buy”. 

Edited by statsman

• 3 weeks later...