Thread of local businesses that don't survive the coronavirus

CooterBrown

7 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Builders still going strong today. My clients are trying to fight it. They did not let us do 5 grounds in Austin today in case they are really shut down. They think they can continue to work.

We only have 2 active communities in Austin. Everything still going strong in Hays and Williamson County. 

Rumor is Hays starts shutting down tonight. 

Per a conference call with Adler and some contractors this morning, the City of Austin is going to direct inspectors to quit inspecting job sites starting Friday, unless they meet affordability.  Public works (most subdivisions) though exempted in the order, will also be put on hold, per Adler.  There were police at office building sites in downtown Austin this morning stopping workers and giving warnings as well.

Group of builders and contractors apparently have the Governor's attention and he is going to address in some fashion so that all cities follow the same guidelines for construction/development/housing.  Austin is the only city effectively shutting it down.

5 minutes ago, landman said:

Per a conference call with Adler and some contractors this morning, the City of Austin is going to direct inspectors to quit inspecting job sites starting Friday, unless they meet affordability.  Public works (most subdivisions) though exempted in the order, will also be put on hold, per Adler.  There were police at office building sites in downtown Austin this morning stopping workers and giving warnings as well.

Group of builders and contractors apparently have the Governor's attention and he is going to address in some fashion so that all cities follow the same guidelines for construction/development/housing.  Austin is the only city effectively shutting it down.

Abbott better step up. Adler is a fucking moron. Not just this but a long list of things

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Abbott better step up. Adler is a fucking moron. Not just this but a long list of things

I’m so glad I’m not subjected to that shit show. This isn’t partisan. Basically every mayor in the country of any city worth living in is a democrat- it’s specific to his buffoonery. 

4 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Actually it should be shut down. You are forgetting people that work for suppliers and are forced to come to work.

Just want to point out most of these people are being forced to not come to work.  They want, or at least need to come to work to pay their mortgage, vehicle payment, and put food on the table.

I don't think many of these construction workers were relieved to hear the city is saving them from Coronavirus.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Paco said:

Yeah, I mean fuck the people actually doing the work, right? They're just construction workers so if they get sick no big deal.

No not all these are people that have worked for us for years.

SF new construction has plenty of space. We can work with 3-4 guys in a house. In fact we sent all of our builders a notice we would only work in a house that had no other trades. It’s been accepted as a practice at this time.

Our subs keep asking for more work. They need and want to work.

I went to 2 distributors today and they are pickup only with no counters open.

They also want to keep the chain moving.

• Like 1

No not all these are people that have worked for us for years.
SF new construction has plenty of space. We can work with 3-4 guys in a house. In fact we sent all of our builders a notice we would only work in a house that had no other trades. It’s been accepted as a practice at this time.
Our subs keep asking for more work. They need and want to work.
I went to 2 distributors today and they are pickup only with no counters open.
They also want to keep the chain moving.

What trade are you?

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

I have no problems with Ferguson.  (or Morrison).

They have tried to buy my business several times over the years. After a 15 year hiatus I've just given them two jobs because they were so heinously cheap and its already going south. I spend half my time listening to my supers bitch about them.

They should stick to plumbing imo.

Just now, G650 said:

They have tried to buy my business several times over the years. After a 15 year hiatus I've just given them two jobs because they were so heinously cheap and its already going south. I spend half my time listening to my supers bitch about them.

Are you in utilities or fire protection? Where else is Ferguson now?

11 hours ago, deadshank said:

You're in Austin / Travis Co.  I'm in Houston / Harris  Co.  There must be some  difference in the wording.

Lifted from Harris County Work Safe decree.  Construction of housing or other types of construction including commerical is pretty broad and inclusive.

xi.Infrastructure, Development, Operation and Construction. For example, public works construction, construction of housing or other types of construction including commercial, manufacturing, airport operations and aircraft manufacturing, maintenance or repair, water, sewer, gas, electrical, oil refining, roads and highways, public transportation, solid waste collection and removal, internet, and telecommunications systems (including the provision of essential global, national, and local infrastructure for computing services, business infrastructure, communications, and web-based services).

So I'm in residential construction that includes water.   Had my lawyer draft letter that I'm giving to all my sub contractors to hand to the cops if they get pulled over.   Fingers crossed it works. 

• Like 1

My brother’s new house in Georgetown was just framed in this past week and the roof was only half decked at noon yesterday. Sure hope the crew finished it and at least got the roll roofing on it. Otherwise that sucker will warp like a pagoda.

Brother must be chewing nails right about now.

Edited by Armybrat

42 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

So I'm in residential construction that includes water.   Had my lawyer draft letter that I'm giving to all my sub contractors to hand to the cops if they get pulled over.   Fingers crossed it works. 

Good move.  We did that for employees and subcontractors.  

You all bitching about being shutdown is understandable, but look at it from my perspective. I am shutdown until April 21st under penalty of law because we are governed by a state board with teeth. Meanwhile, many businesses are trying their best to skirt the order to pay themselves and their workers. We could be shutdown for longer when this disease continues to spread. Meanwhile, I have to pay may staff and my other bills. Shouldn't I be able to hold other businesses responsible for my losses if we are quarantined longer due to people thinking and acting like they aren't part of the problem and should be exempt from the government orders? Just wondering who I should be upset with, our board, the government, others flaunting the orders, myself for obeying the orders?

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 8:47 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Eldorado has closed until 4/4.  While I only know Joel to say "hi", I know some of his employees pretty well, and let's just say things are not looking good.

That. Fucking. Sucks.  They busted ass to make a new restaurant not only work from a food perspective but they were a bona fide hit.

they had a super hot waitress, i feel for her

3 hours ago, G650 said:

What about hydraulics??  

41 minutes ago, Bevo said:

You all bitching about being shutdown is understandable, but look at it from my perspective. I am shutdown until April 21st under penalty of law because we are governed by a state board with teeth. Meanwhile, many businesses are trying their best to skirt the order to pay themselves and their workers. We could be shutdown for longer when this disease continues to spread. Meanwhile, I have to pay may staff and my other bills. Shouldn't I be able to hold other businesses responsible for my losses if we are quarantined longer due to people thinking and acting like they aren't part of the problem and should be exempt from the government orders? Just wondering who I should be upset with, our board, the government, others flaunting the orders, myself for obeying the 

Don't know what to tell you.  I can make a solid case for public health.  

Actually it should be shut down. You are forgetting people that work for suppliers and are forced to come to work. We have not been able to change anything here so our office workers. production line, order pullers, drivers and receiving crews are exposed to one another and other people outside of this building all day. This business is not essential by any means right now unless it is building houses for the homeless.

KB did tell us recently that they would not have any new starts until further notice. (Their previous shutdown notice lasted about 4 days)
They are trying to finish houses in certain areas that are sold but will not start any more.
Many of the spec house home builders will probably stop as well. It would be stupid to build spec houses right now with all of the uncertainty.

David Weekley is starting 3 spec houses In my subdivision In Dallas proper. Plus there are 3 sold lots that have yet begun construction. Lots of trades working on houses this week like normal. 20 guys (social distancing my ass)were prepping a spec house slab yesterday. It’s a central city neighborhood so maybe they’re trying to hurry up and build out.

David Weekley is starting 3 spec houses In my subdivision In Dallas proper. Plus there are 3 sold lots that have yet begun construction. Lots of trades working on houses this week like normal. 20 guys (social distancing my ass)were prepping a spec house slab yesterday. It’s a central city neighborhood so maybe they’re trying to hurry up and build out.

Dallas ruled construction as essential. Main ppl getting screwed in Dallas are barbers/salons with regard to the essential/non essential delineation

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Saw my neighbor just put up a “Recall Adler” sign in their yard. Need to meet them and ask where they got it. 

Isnt fitlump right in the middle of this campaign? If you play your cards right, you might just get a sign AND a lumpjob. . 

Dallas ruled construction as essential. Main ppl getting screwed in Dallas are barbers/salons with regard to the essential/non essential delineation

I know but I was responding specifically to comment about not starting any spec homes at this time and hinted that builders most likely will keep on chugging along like normal.

I guess some of you really do not understand what is going on.

The longer we send people to work in a non-essential situation the longer this virus is going to be around which means a longer disruption to our economy and well being.

The only way to get through this quickly is to stop everything possible for at least 2 to 3 weeks. Probably already too late so things are going to be screwed up for months now instead of weeks.

There is nothing essential about building a house or a commercial building right now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

The longer we send people to work in a non-essential situation the longer this virus is going to be around which means a longer disruption to our economy and well being.

The only way to get through this quickly is to stop everything possible for at least 2 to 3 weeks. Probably already too late so things are going to be screwed up for months now instead of weeks.

There is nothing essential about building a house or a commercial building right now.

Wrong thread

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

There's a reasonably responsible way of continuing work for these guys. So, I respectfully disagree, and, apparently, so do the decision-makers in Harris and Dallas. 

Lot of families that would be immediately impacted by a building shutdown that aren't eligible for any sort of government assistance. 

• Like 1

Yeah I know it’s a little cloaky but a lot of these builders have illegals on the job site who are not going to claim unemployment.  No value judgment, just a fact.

The bigger issue is they may get the fuck out of Austin and go to Dallas or Houston and not come back.  Our labor pool was way too tight already.

On 3/21/2020 at 5:10 PM, TexasMan said:

My girlfriend's friend's dad's place Habanero's on Oltorf and 1st said its gonna get dicey if things aren't up and running again after April 1st. 

Was hoping to get some barbacoa, but they already shut down yesterday. 

🚨 Good news 🚨

• Like 3