Thread of local businesses that don't survive the coronavirus

CooterBrown

Based on the story on website for sky cinema which could very well be 1 sided...with landlord seeking another operator...I would struggle to think an operator wants to take on the risk of that rent currently. The location was very nice the 1 time we went...but If the landlord fails to find a new operator...I wouldn’t have any sympathies for the landlord.

I’ve been supporting Valentina’s and Leroy & Lewis. If the good BBQ places go under...
I went to Leroy and Lewis to pick up food for my birthday. I've known Evan a while now, went to high school with Emily.

I hope they're able to stay open. They had plans for a brick and mortar store but timing wise it's probably best they're in a trailer for all this.
  • Like 1

Plug for Hold Out brewery. (right next to better half). Grabbed some burgers and beer. Was really good. Burgers not too huge (we got the singles) and beer went down great on hot Austin day.

Looks to be a cool place once they are open for sit down

For the beard guys here, I called around today, and could only get this guy to trim my beard on Saturday. The rest wouldn't do it.  My beard has been growing out of control,  He is going to shave me on top, others said, they wouldn't even shave, (worried about blood exposed?).

Cover my nose and mouth if u want, but this is stupid.

http://www.streamlinebarberco.com/

20200528_093549.jpg

WTF Schlotkys, (sp?)  

I've been eating sandwiches from you since the 70's/80's on S. Congress.  My dad and I would always get a large original and split it.  I have supported you on S Lamar, now you close down and leave me without an original, while leaving your "suburb" loacations open.  Fuck you.

On 5/28/2020 at 11:20 AM, BNB said:

For the beard guys here, I called around today, and could only get this guy to trim my beard on Saturday. The rest wouldn't do it.  My beard has been growing out of control,  He is going to shave me on top, others said, they wouldn't even shave, (worried about blood exposed?).

Cover my nose and mouth if u want, but this is stupid.

http://www.streamlinebarberco.com/

20200528_093549.jpg

Let me get this right? You need another man to shave/trim your beard?

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Guest Lobo
14 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Schlotzsky’s is fantastic and you will not curse its name

It's gone so downhill the last ten years though.  I know the menu is largely unchanged but the quality of ingredients has taken a complete and utter nosedive since their acquisition.  

Guest Lobo

^   bMcGuire Moorman shut down the whole restaurant group at the outbreak.  They're only now, and very slowly, opening them back up.  

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

I tried making reservations at Perlas a few weeks ago and their number was disconnected or no longer in service.

With the exception of one or two, almost all the McGuire restaurants have been open for several weeks now.  

Perlas and Clarke’s have been booked up almost every night since mid-May.   

Guest Lobo

Yep, gonna really miss Cafe Josie.  Wife and I had our first anniversary dinner there.  csbalert/ We brought a really nice 1.5L wine we bought on our first trip anywhere together (wine country) to Josie.  We sat, drunk and well fed, with the server and the chef talking about our meal and about wine afterwards for a half hour (we saved them both a half glass taste of the bottle).  20 years later, probably still the best anniversary dinner we ever had.  And what a cool little off-the-beaten-path piece of real estate they had, even though it was very much on the beaten path.  So many great Austin joints going under.  Really unfortunate.  And all the shitty ones that remain.

42 minutes ago, Deej said:

Sounds like he was planning to shut it down because landlord (McGuire Moorman) wouldn’t play ball with TI needed to expand and add lunch service/catering and was going to double their rent. 

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

Yeah. But the beer selection was top notch. EVO is moving in. 

Can't argue with that.  Didn't like that I had to get up and go wait in line if I wanted another one, though.

I had to look up what EVO is.  I'm pretty excited about that.  I was actually thinking just the other day what a shame it is that there is no bowling alley close by.  My kids love Wii bowling.  Surprised it took this long with all the expansion in the area over the past 10 years.

18 hours ago, hornian said:

Sounds like he was planning to shut it down because landlord (McGuire Moorman) wouldn’t play ball with TI needed to expand and add lunch service/catering and was going to double their rent. 

On the bright side there should be plenty of available spots should he decide to resume elsewhere.  

I really liked it as an undiscovered date place prior to the change in ownership but the service has been particularly poor since.  

On 6/5/2020 at 10:13 AM, 3adays said:

I’m hearing some talk this morning that Enchiladas y Mas might be making a return. Anyone hearing anything similar? 

saw on Nextdoor here in the hood... supposedly people that know the family...the daughters/nieces taking over, they've been doing some work on the building, reopening planned 7/7!

Guest Lobo
25 minutes ago, South Austin said:

The Turbo is one of my Top 5 all-time dishes in Austin.

Really dude?  A big, hot, fast meat dish is a favorite in your Austin household?   Yeah, we did not see that coming.  

On 6/10/2020 at 11:48 AM, 4th&Five said:

Three Red River music venues and bars are closing permanently in Austin, due to business hardships as a result of the coronavirus pandemic: indie music venue Barracuda, dance club and DJ spot Plush, and hip-hop venue Scratchouse.

This sucks, saw lots of great music on Red River in my younger days but between the ARCH Center and Covid-19 and being the epicenter of protests, this was inevitable.  Cold comfort to them but that Plush lasted almost 20 years is incredible.  A friend of mine DJ'd there when they first opened around 2002 or so and I never thought they'd make it, but kudos to them for making it this long.  Hope they get something else going somewhere else around Austin when the dust settles.