Thread of local businesses that don't survive the coronavirus

CooterBrown

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Why not move the restaurant to The north or south location they aren’t closing?

I liked your idea on the other thread of changing Lebowski Grill in Highland Lanes, to the Dart Bowl Cafe'.  Preserve the food and the name.

• Like 3

Holy shit, is that still valid?  I'm already on campus, I can make it there in ten minutes with no traffic.  Plus, I need to take a huge shit anyway.  pos rep.

6 minutes ago, landman said:

Great.  Just like El Patio, Frisco, and other places that close, the regulars can't get in due to the sudden crowds of people that haven't been in 20 years.

If they would just claim to be closing about once a month, they could stay in business. 

• Haha 1

^

Yeah, that's gonna be a good marketing strategy for a lot of old school Austin joints going forward.  And I'll be glad to fall for it.  

I blame the people who at the lifting of the lockdown chose to go places like Chili's instead of Dart Bowl.  

• 2 weeks later...

Threadgill’s auction—August 8. 

Limited seating for the live auction at the location on North Lamar must be reserved in advance by calling 830-629-9280 or emailing info@barleyauction.com. Live online, phone and absentee bidding will also be available. 

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/community/threadgills-lamar-austin-auction/269-5ae9f887-8a9d-44c0-af5f-aa3a28ed1404

The iconic restaurant and live music venue on North Lamar Boulevard permanently closed in April after more than 80 years of business.

For sale at the auction will be items like vintage music posters and beer signs and old photos of Janis Joplin, who got her start at Threadgill's.

40 minutes ago, swraith said:

Sounds like Pacha on Burnet isn’t going to make it.

That sucks. Glad I didn't buy gift certificates back in March/April.

Co-sign on the pancakes. And their coffee drinks. Their lattes were/are (if they are still open) the best in Austin. But no way to social distance in that spot.

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Threadgill’s auction—August 8. 

Limited seating for the live auction at the location on North Lamar must be reserved in advance by calling 830-629-9280 or emailing info@barleyauction.com. Live online, phone and absentee bidding will also be available. 

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/community/threadgills-lamar-austin-auction/269-5ae9f887-8a9d-44c0-af5f-aa3a28ed1404

The iconic restaurant and live music venue on North Lamar Boulevard permanently closed in April after more than 80 years of business.

For sale at the auction will be items like vintage music posters and beer signs and old photos of Janis Joplin, who got her start at Threadgill's.

People are bitching about California Pizza Kitchen going bankrupt, and then you see shit like this.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Hate said:

I’m sad that Fuddruckers is no more and I couldn’t possibly care less what anyone thinks about it.

Relax, just messing with you.  It is sad to see how many great Austin restaurants are biting the dust one by one right now.  I even feel bad for the chain ones, though most of them are still hanging on.  I posted this months ago on the restaurant forum, but the place that took over that spot...the Park sports bar on South Lamar.  Everytime I drive by still, it's packed (or as much as they can be with gaps between the tables).  Even though it's hotter than two rats in a sock and there's no sports on and their food sucks, the patio is at max covid capacity.  And while I'm busy wrapping my brain around that heading north, I see Olive Garden.  Which still, even during a pandemic, has a line of people outside waiting to be seated.  A dozen good restaurants within a half mile of that place and they can't seat people fast enough.  Apparently Austin has never seen a breadstick, let alone a basket of them.  

Another local business that is on the ropes is a well respected fishing tackle store in Austin.  Don't want to stoke the rumors, but they indicated they were in a bad way.  Of course fishing was a great respite for people during these shutdowns and people had more time as well, but people weren't coming into the shop for anything new.  I hope they make it because I don't like shopping for fishing gear at Academy and Bass Pro Shop is just overpriced and too far.  If I'm gonna drive basically to San Marcos, I may as well just continue on to the coast.  

And hey, I hear the Fuddrucker's on Slaughter is still open.  

Edited by Lobo

Another stand for Fuddruckers.  Great thick burger, they'd cook it medium rare for me, I'd top it with pico, jalapenos, some spicy mustard, and molten jalapeno cheese, then make a pico/molten jalapeno cheese mix for dipping my seasoned fries.  And it was a great place when we had young kids and weren't up for cooking that night.

I'd eat at one today, if there was one nearby.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Count me in on Team Fuddruckers.  The one on Anderson Lane was a staple in my diet in high school and college.  

ditto, enjoyed fuddruckers and was sad to see that one go. also in Houston, was a common hangout in high school. 

there was one near Lakeline that was still open for years...never get up there much anymore though, it still there?

loved the potatoes (too big to call fries imo) w/ the cheese sauce and mustard. burger was always cooked well and the veggie/topping bar was always fresh and full. 

it was a good burger. 

back on topic...

while eating mexican takeout last week and sampling sub-standard enchilada fare, i had a moment of realizing JUST HOW MUCH I FRIGGIN MISS ENCHILADAS Y MAS!!! gah. they need to open back up fast. 

between Jorge's during my first 15 years in Austin and EyM in the last 15 years, i realized this is literally the longest i have gone w/o a high quality tex-mex enchilada of that particular variety/recipe in 30 years. fuck covid. 😒  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, mchookem said:

ditto, enjoyed fuddruckers and was sad to see that one go. also in Houston, was a common hangout in high school. 

there was one near Lakeline that was still open for years...never get up there much anymore though, it still there?

loved the potatoes (too big to call fries imo) w/ the cheese sauce and mustard. burger was always cooked well and the veggie/topping bar was always fresh and full. 

it was a good burger. 

back on topic...

while eating mexican takeout last week and sampling sub-standard enchilada fare, i had a moment of realizing JUST HOW MUCH I FRIGGIN MISS ENCHILADAS Y MAS!!! gah. they need to open back up fast. 

between Jorge's during my first 15 years in Austin and EyM in the last 15 years, i realized this is literally the longest i have gone w/o a high quality tex-mex enchilada of that particular variety/recipe in 30 years. fuck covid. 😒  

Amen brutha.

16 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I remember the exact moment I thought old Austin died.  I walked into the back dining room of the Threadgill's down south and they had taken down the large topless photo of Janis Joplin that had been up for years.  Figured that was the moment when there were too many transplants having a negative impact on Austin.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mchookem said:

it was a good burger. 

back on topic...

It was last year. It hasn't been very crowded when I've gone. I haven't been in since Covid and haven't looked for a sign. It sounds good today, though.

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Another local business that is on the ropes is a well respected fishing tackle store in Austin.  Don't want to stoke the rumors, but they indicated they were in a bad way.  Of course fishing was a great respite for people during these shutdowns and people had more time as well, but people weren't coming into the shop for anything new.  I hope they make it because I don't like shopping for fishing gear at Academy and Bass Pro Shop is just overpriced and too far.  If I'm gonna drive basically to San Marcos, I may as well just continue on to the coast.  

It doesn't start with a "J" does it?

Nope, not Jenson's.  I hope they are doing well, haven't been there in 20+ years.  Good people, I just get scared venturing north of 2222/Keonig street.