Thread of local businesses that don't survive the coronavirus

CooterBrown

Per official news, Alice's Tall Texan, the realest beer joint in the Heights area of Houston still existing, is slated to close forever at the end of August.

Alice-of-Alices-Tall-Texan-e159615552386

A reliable source who wishes to remain anonymous says that will not be the case; it could be a change of ownership will keep it alive. (The dude is not a douchebag to it won't change much if at all.) 

• Hook 'Em 1

I believe the one on Manchaca is still open.

I see Ski Shores finally opened in their old Barton Springs spot.  As did Austin Eastciders in Uncle Billy's old spot.  

One business I cannot see lasting through Covid-19 is the cider bar/adult arcade on Riverside (old Joe's Crab Shack spot).  I don't know how much cider you have to sell (with no hard liquor license) to make the nut on that huge space, but I'm guessing it's a lot.  And nobody wants to go touching arcade handles right now so half the allure of the bar just went bye-bye.  With the improvements to the waterfront down that way, that's a great space for somebody to do something cool with when this pandemic is over.  

This thread is hella depressing. New Austin is about to be dead too not just old Austin. I imagine we will wake up when Covid passes to a bunch of shuttered store fronts. Gonna be post apocalyptic. Time to find a new old town to watch it grow and die as well.

and who could forget the giant rock and naval war museum in the middle of Austin?  Plus all the German restaurants and white people/utter lack of diversity?  Oh wait...

Lived here since '69. Nothing similar.

Population of Fredericksburg, today? Just north of 25k.

Population of Austin in 1990? Just south of 500k. 

Fredericksburg wouldn't have tolerated the folks that made up Austin in the 80's and early 90's. 

Edited by Deej

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Lived her since '69. Nothing similar.

Population of Fredericksburg, today? Just north of 25k.

Population of Austin in 1990? Just south of 500k. 

Wow, you've really got your panties in a wad.  There are many decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Anyway, feel free to disagree. It doesn't affect me at all.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 11:05 AM, DalTxHornFan said:

Posted last night on their FB page:

Hello Friends,

Many of you have been inquiring about when will we reopen. As much as we would like to say tomorrow, we have decided to prolong the reopening until the beginning of August. Bottom line is we need to be able to operate profitable to be able to stay in business.

With that said, we are shooting for Saturday, August 1st for the official reopening of Dirty Martin’s. We cannot wait for early August to fire up the grill again and welcome y’all back, our staff certainly missed seeing all of our beloved customers. So until then, hope y’all are having an enjoyable summer and don’t forget to “kum-bak” to Dirty’s in August!
🤘🍔🤘🍔🤘🍔🤘🍔🤘🍔🤘🍔🤘🍔🤘🍔

Team Dirty’

Did they open? Anyone know? Google is still saying temporarily closed.

17 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Did they open? Anyone know? Google is still saying temporarily closed.

Happy Friday Friends,

After serious consideration we have decided to prolong the reopening of the restaurant once again, reopen date still undecided. Bottom line, it would be extremely difficult to be profitable under these current conditions and we want to survive another 94 years if possible! 👊👍🤘✌️

We appreciate everyone’s patience during this process. Our staff wants nothing more to get back to work and see our friends, but we want to make sure we can deliver that same old Dirty’s experience that you’re accustomed to.

We will be sending regular updates through Facebook and Instagram on our future plans or feel free to reach out to Daniel Young at daniel@dirtymartins.com with any other questions or if you just feel like sharing some memories.

Much love ✌️
Team Dirty’s

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

There is an estimate that approximately 1/3 of NYC small businesses have already closed permanently.  It isn’t pretty.

And it won't be getting prettier.  Even in a best-case world where we get a vaccine by early 2021, and largely re-open things without major restrictions.....the landscape is going to be apocalyptic.  Seriously.  I don't think that 95% of people grasp how fucking horrific it's going to get.  We are in an epic state of denial.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And it won't be getting prettier.  Even in a best-case world where we get a vaccine by early 2021, and largely re-open things without major restrictions.....the landscape is going to be apocalyptic.  Seriously.  I don't think that 95% of people grasp how fucking horrific it's going to get.  We are in an epic state of denial.

Good time to be involved in acquisition of distressed assets if you’ve got the capital. I’m sure that has absolutely nothing to do with the complete lack of urgency about our shitty response from larger political donors. 

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

Good time to be involved in acquisition of distressed assets if you’ve got the capital. I’m sure that has absolutely nothing to do with the complete lack of urgency about our shitty response from larger political donors. 

Not lost on many of us.

Also.....I have some cash on hand, and am definitely looking at opportunities in the coming year.   But damn, I feel slimy even thinking about it.  The only comfort I can come up with is 'if not me, someone else will."

This is going to be really, really bad.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Not lost on many of us.

Also.....I have some cash on hand, and am definitely looking at opportunities in the coming year.   But damn, I feel slimy even thinking about it.  The only comfort I can come up with is 'if not me, someone else will."

This is going to be really, really bad.

Well hey, if you’re looking to put that money to a good cause, I know a guy who still has student loans and would like to not have to pay them off.

• Hook 'Em 1

I still think it’s a have and have not divide there are going to be distressed assets but and there are going to be more poor and more rich but this isn’t a recession it’s a public health crisis that tripped us into a recession. What comes out of this economically won’t look the same as any other recession. It’s going to be bizarre, as some will be wholly unaffected and then huge swaths of folks in despair. Some of that health driven but a lot of it what segments of the economy are you tied to for work or whatever. I could be wrong but as a corporate lawyer I see two different worlds among my clients, and then there’s the public at large. It’s really bizarre.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm not sure if it's redevelopment, a shitty economy, COVID, protests, or a combination of all of those things, but I drove past the drag last week and it is looking rougher than usual. Every single unoccupied space is covered in graffiti. More objects than usual seem to be tagged. I know these things go in cycles and I usually don't mind local "art." It's got to be pretty marked up to grab my attention. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed.

Cops were hassling a drag worm so things weren't completely out of the ordinary.

Edited by David Dennison

43 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I'm not sure if it's redevelopment, a shitty economy, COVID, protests, or a combination of all of those things, but I drove past the drag last week and it is looking rougher than usual. Every single unoccupied space is covered in graffiti. More objects than usual seem to be tagged. I know these things go in cycles and I usually don't mind local "art." It's got to be pretty marked up to grab my attention. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed.

Cops were hassling a drag worm so things weren't completely out of the ordinary.

It was pretty rough in spots when I went to college.  Before the "chain store revolution" hit it.  It will survive.

Briggo Coffee Haus (robotic barrista with locations at AUS and several other austin tech companies) effectively shut down in April & was recently purchased by Coca-Cola. Austin based enterprise. Gotta figure their product will be wildly popular in our new norm. Their coffee was good, app was great, and being able to order your drink from your car in the parking lot & pick it up a couple minutes later when you walked in the building was great. Even better at the airport for those crack of dawn flights before the store fronts were open.

Not really a local business, but they have numerous properties around Austin which in turn house the offices of many, many Austin companies/firms/SBO (of course, they can relocate thankfully and get to break what I'm guessing was a shitty lease to begin with)...but RGN Holdings/Regus Office has spun off a huge chunk of their properties/office spaces around the nation (and a lot in Austin) and put them into bankruptcy.  

Anybody know anything more about this Save our Stages relief fund/program with City of Austin?  

Maudie's at the Triangle on Guadalupe has been locked out by their landlord:

https://www.austin360.com/entertainment/20200824/maudiersquos-tex-mex-at-triangle-likely-closed-permanently

A sign on the door of one Maudie’s Tex-Mex location is also a sign of the times. A lock-out notice posted on the popular restaurant’s door states that Maudie’s landlord at 4600 Guadalupe St. has changed the locks, though the “lease remains in full force and effect.”

That likely means those looking for Strait Plates from the location that opened in 2014 are going to have to visit one of the other six Maudie’s locations around town.

“The closure of Maudie’s Triangle location is likely permanent, although the door is still open if the landlord decides to re-enter negotiations,” a representative for the 25-year-old restaurant said.

The remaining Maudie’s dining rooms and patios are open 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday-Thursday and 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and the restaurants are also offering curbside service and online ordering.

On 8/24/2020 at 12:13 PM, Mappable said:

Maudie's at the Triangle on Guadalupe has been locked out by their landlord:

https://www.austin360.com/entertainment/20200824/maudiersquos-tex-mex-at-triangle-likely-closed-permanently

A sign on the door of one Maudie’s Tex-Mex location is also a sign of the times. A lock-out notice posted on the popular restaurant’s door states that Maudie’s landlord at 4600 Guadalupe St. has changed the locks, though the “lease remains in full force and effect.”

That likely means those looking for Strait Plates from the location that opened in 2014 are going to have to visit one of the other six Maudie’s locations around town.

“The closure of Maudie’s Triangle location is likely permanent, although the door is still open if the landlord decides to re-enter negotiations,” a representative for the 25-year-old restaurant said.

The remaining Maudie’s dining rooms and patios are open 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday-Thursday and 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and the restaurants are also offering curbside service and online ordering.

ah, man.. loved the outdoor patio there. The kids could come and go at the playground and the green whilst Dad could reintroduce himself to his wife of 10 years over Tex-Mex and margaritas.

• Hook 'Em 3