Thread of local businesses that don't survive the coronavirus

CooterBrown

Yeah, when the Saucer packed it in I knew there was something wrong with the whole concept.  There is absolutely no way a super popular pub smack in between campus and an exploding neighborhood couldn't come to terms with their landlord.  That whole development is out of whack.

Yeah. I’ve never understood what they are thinking letting all those places go vacant. At some point I would think the tenants will be upset with only having a T-Mobile store available instead of restaurants. Lack of the state workers eating lunch hurts as well.

The triangle was the very first encroachment upon Austin by the mixed-use condo/overpriced bar and restaurant rubber-stamp buildings that signify the impending homogeneity and death of any original culture of a city. It was the scout ship for the Domain's Death Star. Fuck the triangle and fuck the Flying Saucer. Fuck Hopdoddy too, just for good measure.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Lot of bars here in Houston that  have been shut down since June appear to be taking advantage of their shiny new Food & Beverage Certificates to re-open over the past week or so.

Cottonwood, Heights Bier Garten, Kirby Ice House just a few that I've noticed.

Great Heights just re-opened about 15 minutes ago (Congrats Pat!).  

Looks like the days of LuAnn platters are coming to an end. Luby's board of directors has "approved and adopted a plan of liquidation and dissolution," the company announced.

The plan will need to be approved by the company's shareholders. A date for that vote was not included in today's announcement. 

Previously, Luby's stated it would seek a sale of its assets that would pay off its debts and generate money for its stockholders. Following the liquidation plan will generate between $92 million and $123 million, according to the company's estimates. That represents between $3 and $4 per share of its stock (approximately 30.7 million shares outstanding).

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/09-08-20-lubys-cafeteria-restaurant-fuddruckers-liquidation-dissolution-sale-closing/

Yeah, the last things that'll come back online in this country are live music/live comedy.  You can still pull off some sort of "conference", but performing arts festivals/shows in all their incarnations are on hold for at least 9 more months.  

57 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

hearing on the dudley and bob show with matt that cap city is closing up shop.

i hadn't been in awhile, but that was a nice spot. that's too bad.

https://www.austin360.com/entertainment/20200908/austinrsquos-cap-city-comedy-club-closes-permanently?utm_source=web_push&utm_medium=referral

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

Never really had attachment to Cap City because it's north of the river and thus shitty and I avoid it. But the one time I did go I saw Mitch Hedberg. He was extraordinarily funny and extraordinarily fucked up.

1 minute ago, Samson's Wig said:

I believe he has threatened to permanently bring himself to Austin.  Don't the Shores still own the Comedy Store?  I hadn't heard the kids sold it.

As if any more proof is needed that Austin jumped the shark, the most recent celebrities that I have heard are moving to Austin are Rogan, the Queer Eyes guy, and the WWF wrestler who was the annoying dude on the Real World back in the day. 

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Damn, I still remember Marimont Cafeteria as a kid.  There of Guadalupe and 38th.  Now LUBYs.  What the tits is going on!

Damn, that's a blast from the past. There was also cafeteria over in hancock that my grandparents use to like. They woudl come in to town every week and we'd go out to dinner at one or the other, or maybe mom would make some dry ass pork chops.  Took me a long time (and sous vide) to come back aroudn to pork chops. 

3 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

Glad I went right before Covid to see Christina P work out material there.  Hate to see that place go.

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

I believe he has threatened to permanently bring himself to Austin.  Don't the Shores still own the Comedy Store?  I hadn't heard the kids sold it.

It's not a threat.  He's coming and NOT bringing the Comedy Store.  However, his plan is to open a spot and attract talent to the area and develop the scene the same way that many credit him for bringing the Store back when it had gone to shit.

Comparisons being made to what Chappelle has been able to do in Ohio...flying out acts private, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Never really had attachment to Cap City because it's north of the river and thus shitty and I avoid it. But the one time I did go I saw Mitch Hedberg. He was extraordinarily funny and extraordinarily fucked up.

I saw Bill Hicks there. God he was awesome.

Also, I got in free for quite a while because Laura House, of Austin Stories, worked there, and she had a crush on me. She was a cool gal...but no, that never happened.
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I saw Bill Hicks there. God he was awesome.

Also, I got in free for quite a while because Laura House, of Austin Stories, worked there, and she had a crush on me. She was a cool gal...but no, that never happened.

Laura House was a student teacher at my middle school right around the time when that happened. I didn't have her and I don't remember exact details, but I know that it was pretty big news at either Porter or Bailey middle schools (I moved after 6th grade, don't remember which one she was at) when she was on the TV.

Small world. Also you're old.

Laura House was a student teacher at my middle school right around the time when that happened. I didn't have her and I don't remember exact details, but I know that it was pretty big news at either Porter or Bailey middle schools (I moved after 6th grade, don't remember which one she was at) when she was on the TV.
Small world. Also you're old.

Don’t I know it.

I saw a lot of great shows at Laff Stop/Cap City, but it’s not a great venue or particularly vibrant scene. Still hated to hear about another Austin institution closing. 

The thing about Rogan’s move to Austin that interests me is the potential impact to local live comedy. I’ve heard enough of his and other LA comics podcasts to know that a major factor in keeping him and some others in LA was the turnaround of the scene around The Comedy Store. A lot of notable people have expressed that Rogan was a big part of what that scene is these days. I don’t think someone who loves doing stand up and enjoys the hang with other comics the way he seems to would move here without some confidence in being able to have or grow a comedy scene that will attract good comics and become a base for up and coming comedians. Or it could be a big bust, who knows. It will be interesting to see if others follow and what moves get made to expand live comedy in Austin. 

Redd's Barbershop (Cory Redding) is down for the count. Really liked the place, being right next to my office. Cut out about 45 minutes before my cut, stop at Cover Three and pound a few cold ones, then get my ears lowered. I think their rent was crazy though. He'd recently had to raise chair prices and a lot of his barbers had to move somewhere cheaper to turn a profit. If you've never met him, Cory is a really awesome dude. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, blacklab said:

Biderman's Deli in westlake has closed. 

Fuck I'm pissed. Best sandwich place for miles in any direction.

Fucking-A, I was just there on Friday.  My partners and I were single-handedly trying to keep that place afloat.  Had lunch there at least twice a week.  Fuck!  

I get it, it's just maths.  But you could barely get there because of the drive-thru line for P. Terry's.  Dammit.  

As an aside, Poke House is putting in their third Austin-area store where the Popeye's used to be at Bee Caves Road & Westbank Drive, FYI.

Really gonna miss Biderman's.  As stated by Blacklab, best sandwich by a long mile for a long ways in any direction.  SHITBURGERS!