Thread of local businesses that don't survive the coronavirus

CooterBrown

9 hours ago, Deej said:

Easy Tiger is doing fine. Downtown is just a shitshow with COVID. It's 75% homeless people down there. I don't blame them for shuttering that location. 

No shit. Dirty 6th, right by I-35 homeless encampments. Only time you could go there and not deal with complete BS was super early. Just a terrible place to put a place to eat. 

Adler and Council get to chalk this up to Covid-19, but as stated above...a lot of Easy Tiger's issues was based on getting harassed on the way in/the way out and even sitting on the back patio and having homeless folks approach you from the creek.  For awhile, couple of organizations I was involved with had their happy hours back there once a month and it got just be such a beating between parking and the homeless harassment that we just switched it up even though one of the groups was literally meeting to discuss Waller Creek preservation.  That's how fucked up it was, we couldn't meet at the very creek we were planning to protect.  But Council never fucking got the hint.  Such is life in Austin.  

Anyway, sad to see Easy Tiger downtown go.  Not a great location for them but they made a great use of the space and I always enjoyed my time there.  And still bummed out about Biderman's.  We are going to be stuck with so many eye-sores for a decade at least.  And the worst part is developers think we still need more of this shit instead of just focusing on what's already built.  

On 9/22/2020 at 9:09 PM, Lobo said:

Fucking-A, I was just there on Friday.  My partners and I were single-handedly trying to keep that place afloat.  Had lunch there at least twice a week.  Fuck!  

I get it, it's just maths.  But you could barely get there because of the drive-thru line for P. Terry's.  Dammit.  

As an aside, Poke House is putting in their third Austin-area store where the Popeye's used to be at Bee Caves Road & Westbank Drive, FYI.

Really gonna miss Biderman's.  As stated by Blacklab, best sandwich by a long mile for a long ways in any direction.  SHITBURGERS! 

Biderman's on Far West is still open I believe.

It is indeed, and I'm glad to hear it.  I'm just not venturing above 35th street for lunch.  Even I am not above store policy.  But best of luck to 'em, hope y'all keep supporting them. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

It is indeed, and I'm glad to hear it.  I'm just not venturing above 35th street for lunch.  Even I am not above store policy.  But best of luck to 'em, hope y'all keep supporting them. 

I think they're about as well located as a Jewish deli can be in Austin, and they've done well with deliveries the last few months.  I doubt that's sustainable for any food business long term, but hopefully they'll survive till we're all crowding in for lunch again.

At a Sept. 18 meeting of the Austin Music Commission, Sylnovia Holt-Rabb, deputy director of the city’s economic development department, gave a slide presentation that detailed the awards to music businesses from the Austin Small Business Relief Grant and Austin Creative Space Disaster Relief Fund.

The Austin music venues that received the largest sums of grant money were the Continental Club and Hotel Vegas. The Continental Club received a $34,919.86 small business grant and $45,500 from the creative spaces fund. Hotel Vegas received a $33,193 small business grant and $30,601 from the creative spaces fund.

The Mohawk, Hole in the Wall, Antone’s, Cheer Up Charlies, One-2-One Bar, the White Horse, Stay Gold, the Lost Well, the Belmont, Friends and the Venue ATX all received $40,000 or more from the two programs, with Parker Jazz Club just trailing that mark at $38,000.

Other venues that received money from the programs include Donn’s Depot (a $25,258.24 small business grant), Skylark Lounge ($26,208 from the creative spaces program), the Electric Church ($20,690 from the creative spaces program) and the North Door (a $15,240.85 small business grant).

In total, music venues received $370,749 from the creative spaces program and $401,979.14 from the small business grant, according to Holt-Rabb’s presentation.

https://www.austin360.com/entertainment/20200922/list-of-austin-music-venues-that-received-covid-19-relief-released

• Hook 'Em 3

$60mm for the homeless in the annual budget, and that's deceptive because there's also about $100mm baked into the Affordable Housing bond from a few years ago that's really geared towards completely subsidized initial and transitional housing aimed at homeless populations.  Almost all that paper was sold last May, about 3/4ths anyway.  So in all actuality, we are spending far, far more money on the "homeless" issue, of course $0 of which has been allocated towards mental health and addiction services/counseling.  

So with that frame of reference in mind, yeah---I got no issue with throwing $700k at a dozen venues around town for them to keep their leases going so that when live music does return, there'll be an actual place to play it.  

Of course it's fucking Austin City Council.  I suspect we're only a few months away from them buying Continental Club to use as a housing development.  

Okay, see now that would make for an interesting homeless shelter.  That intersection is grand central for homeless anyway.  No bar or restaurant is ever going to be able to afford that lease space (it's two stories, probably 10k square feet---at least.  Seal up the windows, add some bathrooms, you can flip that space in 3 months for $200k.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

$60mm for the homeless in the annual budget, and that's deceptive because there's also about $100mm baked into the Affordable Housing bond from a few years ago that's really geared towards completely subsidized initial and transitional housing aimed at homeless populations.  Almost all that paper was sold last May, about 3/4ths anyway.  So in all actuality, we are spending far, far more money on the "homeless" issue, of course $0 of which has been allocated towards mental health and addiction services/counseling.  

So with that frame of reference in mind, yeah---I got no issue with throwing $700k at a dozen venues around town for them to keep their leases going so that when live music does return, there'll be an actual place to play it.  

Of course it's fucking Austin City Council.  I suspect we're only a few months away from them buying Continental Club to use as a housing development.  

We should pull some of that homeless money and give some more to local businesses. 

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

We should pull some of that homeless money and give some more to local businesses. 

You can't grift  from giving a grant or forgivable loan to a small local business.  They're already there and their real estate is already public record (though lease terms can be kept private), and the amounts have to be public record.  The reason they like throwing so much money at buying land/existing buildings for homeless is because you can bake it so many overages.  

they have to disclose the purchase amount and after we're all done laughing at how they just 2-3x FMV on a hotel, we've moved on and don't also look at how much they overpaid for title, legal, escrow, contractor bids evaluations, capex on property rehab, sources & uses, etc.  That's where the real cash-grab is, not in just giving Hole in the Wall $50k to keep their lights on

I picture Adler like David Puddy when Seinfeld goes in to buy a Saab from him, "Surcharge Fee, additional overage fee, tax, title, license, finder's fee?"  

"Finder's Fee Mr. Mayor?  It's Buffalo Billiards, it's there at 6th & Brazos." 

"Yeah...that's right."  

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

ouch

That one stings. One of my good friends from Atlanta would be in Austin a couple times a year for work, and we had a blood-feud at foosball. We had a trophy made up and winner of the most recent best of 7 game got to hold on to it - he would carry it on the airplane when he held it. We'd always start there for a "quick best of 7 and a couple beers to pregame" and often end up there until 2am drunkenly fucking around with darts, pool, and ice hockey.

On 9/23/2020 at 6:47 AM, Lobo said:

Adler and Council get to chalk this up to Covid-19, but as stated above...a lot of Easy Tiger's issues was based on getting harassed on the way in/the way out and even sitting on the back patio and having homeless folks approach you from the creek.  For awhile, couple of organizations I was involved with had their happy hours back there once a month and it got just be such a beating between parking and the homeless harassment that we just switched it up even though one of the groups was literally meeting to discuss Waller Creek preservation.  That's how fucked up it was, we couldn't meet at the very creek we were planning to protect.  But Council never fucking got the hint.  Such is life in Austin.  

Anyway, sad to see Easy Tiger downtown go.  Not a great location for them but they made a great use of the space and I always enjoyed my time there.  And still bummed out about Biderman's.  We are going to be stuck with so many eye-sores for a decade at least.  And the worst part is developers think we still need more of this shit instead of just focusing on what's already built.  

Adler and the Austin City Council corruption are a joke.  Siphoning money from taxpayers to pay all their friends off by purchasing/revamping properties for Homeless -- a Homeless Problem that Adler encouraged to grow by allowing Austin to become another "Sanctuary City".

FUCK 'EM!!!

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/25/2020 at 8:59 AM, BradInATX said:

I think One 2 One bar has since closed, so not very much for them.

Yep, just talked to friend who plays, well, played there quite a bit and he confirmed this.

He also told me that Saxon Pub owner requested help from the city and was denied.

7 hours ago, Cajun said:

Yep, just talked to friend who plays, well, played there quite a bit and he confirmed this.

He also told me that Saxon Pub owner requested help from the city and was denied.

Article I read said the One 2 One bar received roughly $500 from the city. Owner said it was a joke.

Edited by Deej

17 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Ya. Sure. I’m sure this is another one of that fat bitch’s save the business stunts.

She worked her ass off to build that trailer up to a good business over almost 25 years. Well liked by her employees. Nice and pleasant lady who was always appreciative of customers. 

What's your grind w/ Maria?

• 2 weeks later...

The suit alleges that Alamo Mueller has not paid rent and other expenses since April 2020 and has failed to ensure that it will make payments going forward.

https://www.statesman.com/business/20201012/alamo-drafthouse-mueller-faces-lawsuit-over-rent-payment?utm_source=SND&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=statesman&fbclid=IwAR2VsCB92lUZJ8E7JcUFqam1nVpFGIqMpYbk7OjNWwAhKnOt-RoMDKdEH7I

Didn’t even know their was one at Mueller, but it makes sense. If Slaughter closes I’m gonna have to think about moving.  Love me some Alamo and hope they weather this. They screened Empire Strikes Back a while back. Even considering Covid, I was surprised my kids and I were 3 of maybe 7 in the whole theater on a Sunday afternoon. 
If anyone is wondering, I thought they did well with protocols. Food and drink ordering is done online ahead of time, Seats blocked off and available seats were spread out to keep your family together but away from others, almost zero contact with servers except the lone delivery of food and drink. 

The Alamo at Mueller is fantastic and I used to walk over there 4-6 times a month. The neighborhood is in an uproar about this, and talking about fundraisers. 
The landlords are between a rock and a hard place. They want Alamo to stay, but they are obliged to their lenders to try to collect the rent. It's a bad situation.  

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

Didn't see this posted, but Brick Oven and associated Baretto are closing.  It's actually because that HEB is expanding and pushing them out of that space.  They're going to try to find a new space, and maybe-- hopefully-- they can manage to get their patrons to follow them.

https://austin.eater.com/2020/10/15/21517705/brick-oven-austin-pizza-restaurant-closing-empire-control-room-reopening-fundraiser

• 3 weeks later...

Dammit.  That location was tough even after re-opening because of how tight it is in terms of seating/square footage.  They have a location in West Campus that I hit up once a month or so.  I love their food.  Sucks to hear, hope their campus location survives for old folks like me.