Thread of local businesses that don't survive the coronavirus

CooterBrown

Just a follow up on the Matties meal. Was great - pork tenderloin, biscuits, salad, pie, mashed potato and veggies.

If you need a family style meal, I recommend you hit them up.

Thunderbird coffee was open today so putting a plug in for them as well. They have snot guard set up and you never hand your card to them etc

Wear your masks, be safe but keep local businesses you want to see stay around post CV19 going. Tip large & don't do shit like use promo codes etc. Just pay fucking retail.

• Like 1

Another restaurant plug. Picked up dinner for family from Flower Child off of 2nd street tonight.

You order online, walk in and there is a shelf with online orders ready at your appointed time. Zero interaction with staff. Easy parking up front on 2nd (spots dedicated to food pick up)

Good avocado wrap for dinner with sides of corn/quinoa, sweet potato & brussel sprouts.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Magnolia Cafe West on Lake Austin are perma-closing.

they posted the news on their Facebook page today

Where else will I be able to get shiity food in the middle of the night? 

Oh, yeah, IHOP.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah the Slaughter/mopac intersection construction a couple years ago pretty much finished off the south location.

That's what they would like you tho think.  Didn't have anything to do with their weak food...Nope.  The bar was always full at night, but their dining room was a ghost town.  Too, bad, their brunch was legitimately very good, at least before it went to a buffet.

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah the Slaughter/mopac intersection construction a couple years ago pretty much finished off the south location.

That's what they would like you to think.  Didn't have anything to do with their weak food...Nope.  The bar was always full at night, but their dining room was a ghost town.  Too bad, their brunch was legitimately very good, at least before it went to a buffet.

Am I reading this right on Magnolia.  That the Lake Austin location is closed forever but the South Congress store will just be closed temporarily (presumably until the lock-down ends)?  

I hope that's the case.  Wife and I have so many great memories of that place.  We've been going loyally for 20 years.  Stopped off for breakfast each of the two times we found out we were gonna have a baby.  Probably ate there the morning after we conceived them as well.  

But like South Austin said, somehow Chili's pushes onward through the fog...

Not that they need it as they seem to be doing great but I picked up Franklin BBQ for lunch today. You order three days in advance, come by, wait for a spot to open in lot, they direct you in, you txt your order number and parking stall (there is a sign in front of spot with # to txt). You pop your trunk or back of car/SUV and they come and put food in. Super easy and as always fucking delicious. Highly recommend.

Also Lucky Lab coffee by campus, they open on Sat (maybe Sunday) and every $15 you spend they donate a coffee to healthcare workers. You can also order more and just have put on your bill. Good coffee and good pastries as well. Walked the dog there this morning.

Keep supporting local business.

One Dim Sum in midtown Houston is struggling pretty bad.  I went there this morning and told the lady I was going to place a pretty large order and she started tearing up.  Said you don't know how much this helps us.  The order came out to 175 bucks and she said that's about a quarter of what they are making a day 

i just don't understand why... they were consistently PACKED, the building was an old shithole, the overhead couldn't have been much, it was old-school texmex, beans rice cheese and tortillas, cheap as hell, family run... how could they not have made enough to get through this?? their takeout game was already strong. 

*sigh* i know, i know nothing about business. 

maybe it was just a PITA and they were sick of it and decided to take the opportunity to cash out.

They stopped doing take-out after the first week or so of shut-down, didn't seem like they thought it was worth it.

It appears someone on here knows the family, so maybe we'll get more info.  I definitely have to think they might have wanted out already, and this was just the final push.

If it really does close, maybe one or more of the family will land somewhere else and bring the magic with them.

It's not one of those places with nostalgia about the location or anything, I was going there when it was a 39-cent hamburger stand.  The important thing is the food, and most importantly the enchilada gravy.  If we can get that someplace else, that'd be fine with me.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

They stopped doing take-out after the first week or so of shut-down, didn't seem like they thought it was worth it.

It appears someone on here knows the family, so maybe we'll get more info.  I definitely have to think they might have wanted out already, and this was just the final push.

If it really does close, maybe one or more of the family will land somewhere else and bring the magic with them.

It's not one of those places with nostalgia about the location or anything, I was going there when it was a 39-cent hamburger stand.  The important thing is the food, and most importantly the enchilada gravy.  If we can get that someplace else, that'd be fine with me.

Not an Austinite, so can't relate.

But the use of the term "gravy" in connection with enchilada sauce and pasta sauce simultaneously amuses me and makes me queasy.

I'm not a huge fan of Enchiladas Y Mas, but I eat there a few times a month. I am sad that it is closing. The owner is related to the owner of Jorges on 6th St., but I have never tried the Margaritas at Enchiladas y Mas. Anyway, my question is what is the big appeal. Just curious as I go to Casita Guanajuato much more frequently.