Positive Coronavirus Ideas that could be adopted cheaply or free?

horn4life

While it's easy to criticize, I also believe that a lot of times some really good ideas can be found with a little positivity.  Different perspectives or industry backgrounds may have perspectives that might provide some uniquely good ideas to implement during this strange time.  I am hoping you guys will try and keep this positive... but Surly I know.

My first one is maybe have the HEB express lanes open again but ONLY for people with fewer than 10 items and NO toilet paper, sanitizer or other hoarding related products. Just to sort of normalize the mental aspect of going to the grocery store again.  I think it might psychologically reduce some hoarding, and it would allow me to get Red, Coke and Charcoal without an hour in line.

My second one is related to Nursing Homes. The Federal Government should delay for several months the need for Pharmacists to destroy dugs in Long Term Care Facilities.  Currently (AND WISELY) the federal government requires that a pharmacist and nurse must destroy all the drugs together.  Log in all the narcotics, and make sure there is nobody stealing the narcotics.  I would suspend this rule, like the fed did with some of the medicare restrictions.  With the changes in technology my wife could do all of her work online, it's changed her job dramatically for the better in the last few years.  So these drug destructions are the only reason she would need to enter a nursing home, and it forces her to enter into at least 20 a month for this reason alone. It's a weird thing I happen to know about that could be done freely. 

Most interestingly because of the potential for infection in the long term care environment ALL the precautions the CDC has been touting about hand washing, face touching and infection avoidance are already second nature for her. I'm still struggling not to touch my face.

Let's try to make this thread a positive one?

My idea: create a version of DARPA focused on infectious diseases.  Use it to fund R&D by pharma companies, universities, startups, etc. into vaccines and antivirals for potential pandemic pathogens, so that the commercial risk is no longer a barrier preventing this work.