Houston Texans Traded Deandre Hopkins to Arizona Cardinals for David Johnson

Vic Mackey

6 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

This analogy is fucking hilarious.

Great analogy indeed.  Here's Walker's take at CBS:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/texans-cardinals-trade-grade-arizona-fleeces-houston-in-deandre-hopkins-for-david-johnson-swap/

Texans: F

There's no point in beating around the bush here. Instead, let's grab the mower and barrel right through it, which is exactly what the Texans did to any and all sense of logic before striking this deal. It's virtually impossible to fathom a scenario wherein a team would trade arguably the best wide receiver in the league (third-best, at worst) in exchange for a running back. Now let's take it a step further and note the running back in question was demoted in 2019, and who is far from guaranteed to return to his prime form simply because he's in a new locale. 

But wait, there's more.

The Texans are also taking on the entire brunt of Johnson's contract, to the tune of a combined $20 million cap hit over the next two seasons -- despite Johnson having only one 1,000-yard season under his belt in five tries. For the Texans, it would take Johnson becoming a 2,000-yard from scrimmage back over each year over the next two, and then signing an extension in Houston and continuing that level of dominance after the dreaded RB apex of 30 years old in order to justify shipping away Hopkins in his prime. 

Try explaining this all to Watson with a straight face.

Cardinals: A+

Kudos to the Cardinals for convincing the Texans to chew off their own arm. In exchange for dumping Johnson's heavy salary, they were only forced to package a 2020 second-round pick and a 2021 fourth-round pick to land a top-three wideout who's also only 27 years old. They'll now combine him with future Hall of Fame receiver Larry Fitzgerald -- who has committed to returning in 2020 -- and former second-round pick Christian Kirk, giving Offensive Rookie of the Year Kyler Murray some serious firepower going forward.

The club has also issued a tender on Kenyan Drake, who is the reason Johnson was demoted and ultimately shipped out in the first place.

Transcript of call...

BOB: I’m looking to trade Hopkins. I need a 1st round pick back. 

Cards: We can’t go a first, but we can give you a 2nd. We’ll need a 4th rounder back. 

BOB: I’m listening! But I need more. Hopkins is a good player. 

Cards: We need to clear a roster spot. We don’t want to do this but we can add Johnson. 

BOB: seriously? He is a great player!  Deal done!

Cards: good doing business with you. Bye!

(click)

Cards: lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was at HEB passing thru Waco. In an aisle I heard a teenage girl tell her mom “omg we I think we just traded our best player to Arizona...” her face was lost lol. I asked “wait..who is YOUR team?” She told me the news and I said bullshit then apologized to the mom. Then I got the espn text.

Fukin nuts unless they have some other deal up their sleeve to get a patch (or 2) for the huge Hopkins hole they now have. Bill is a joke.

Feels like a fantasy football trade rape my buddies pull.

- Love in Houston... not a Texan fan here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It's okay!  They got his replacement on the cheap....

Cobb?  Bwahaha

That dude is so past his prime, that he couldn't catch the coronavirus in an Italian orgy.

Thank you Houston for making today a little more bearable to be a Cowboy fan.

13 hours ago, TexasGolf said:

Besides emotional pain and personal issues he is having off the field I can’t get into, Hop was going to hold out. He wanted a trade. 

Philly didn’t want him. Seattle said no thanks. Ravens offered a 5th and said “we know he can’t run routes.”  better off after the trade or else would’ve been in a Clowney situation where we would’ve gotten nothing if waited

Lol what a load of bullshit.

• Like 5

Cobb?  Bwahaha
That dude is so past his prime, that he couldn't catch the coronavirus in an Italian orgy.
Thank you Houston for making today a little more bearable to be a Cowboy fan.

Cobb was great in his role as a 3rd receiver last year (55-828-3). But the Texans are way overpaying him.

38 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Cobb was great in his role as a 3rd receiver last year (55-828-3). But the Texans are way overpaying him.

Yardage wise, his stats were fine, but he has an 80% true catch rating...meaning he drops 1 out of 5 catch-able balls...usually when they are most important.

I will not miss him.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

if you only knew the personal info you would understand.  

Again, a load of bullshit. Unless Hopkins was literally poisoning his teammates, a ton of teams would have offered a much better haul for him than the Texans got. Hell, look what the Browns offered for OBJ just last year.

• Like 2

Rumor from someone who claims to know someone in the know, so take of it what you will...Hopkins allegedly believed Watson was not a Super Bowl QB and told him and the whole organization so. He then said "Either he goes or I go," and circulated a petition around, and it didn't go his way. The rest of the league found out about this, the story goes, and so his trade value plummeted.

Crazy story, but so was the trade. There's has to be something somewhat logical behind this idiocy, right? 

I'm wondering if maybe we might be chalking this up in the "undefeated" category. I forget the details now but wasn't there an Astros trade caused by one player fucking another player's wife?

2 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Rumor from someone who claims to know someone in the know, so take of it what you will...Hopkins allegedly believed Watson was not a Super Bowl QB and told him and the whole organization so. He then said "Either he goes or I go," and circulated a petition around, and it didn't go his way. The rest of the league found out about this, the story goes, and so his trade value plummeted.

Crazy story, but so was the trade. There's has to be something somewhat logical behind this idiocy, right? 

I'm wondering if maybe we might be chalking this up in the "undefeated" category. I forget the details now but wasn't there an Astros trade caused by one player fucking another player's wife?

<Dr. Evil> Riiiiigggghhhtttt <Dr. Evil>

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Again, a load of bullshit. Unless Hopkins was literally poisoning his teammates, a ton of teams would have offered a much better haul for him than the Texans got. Hell, look what the Browns offered for OBJ just last year.

again, you don't know the background

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

not true.  part of what is true is he would not practice with 4 and many sacks 4 took was due to Hop not running routes.

There's nothing more predictable in sports than when a move is universally panned by everyone with firing synapses that some preposterous justification is thrown out  that goes against all prior history.  So you're telling me that the uniquely quiet and low maintenance all-pro WR who dealt with a who's who list of journeymen QBs like Brock Osweiler, Tom Savage, Hoyer, & Fitzpatrick decided to draw his line in the sand over Deshaun Watson?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

This sounds like something the Knicks front office would leak after getting fleeced.

But let's say that's true.  That hurts his value and ability to stay in Houston.  Its doesn't affect his value to the rest of the league.  Surely the Texans could get a better deal than the one the Cardinals offered.

Also, does that mean Hopkins views Kyler as a Super Bowl QB, lol?

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Like 2

The logic behind the idiocy is that Bill O'Brien is a woefully incompetent GM, and that hiring one person to act as both GM and coach is an idiotic move that never works.

Bill O'Brien has traded away Clowney and Hopkins and somehow has ZERO first round picks. Not even fucking his own. LOL.  That is inexplicable incompetence. You don't need a crazy story to explain an awful O'Brien trade. He's made several. 

• Like 4

Bill O'Brien: mediocre coach, incompetent general manager.

Cal McNair: son of the previous incompetent owner, even less capable than his daddy.  Is in his current job only because mommy owns the team.

The Texans will never be competitive until they are sold to a new owner who will clean house and institute a complete rebuild.

Edited by Heisenberg
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I can't imagine stooping so low as to be a fucking Bill O'Brien defender. North Koreans lavishing Kim Jong Un with praise have more dignity.

Hey, I'm not defending him. My NFL loyalty died with the Oilers, so I am detached about this whole thing. I just have a hard time accepting what appears to be complete and utter stupidity at face value. This trade is such an outlier it just has me wondering what really went down, you know? I guess it could be that Occam's Razor really is that Bill-O really is a complete moron.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Are you his agent?  Because I can't imagine anyone else saying something so overly kind about his abilities.

I'm no one's agent.  You're right, my statement was too weak.  I didn't accurately relate my disgust with O'Brien and Bob's boy in suitable venomous bile or bilious venom or both.

The Texans have had nothing but shit coaches and shit owners and shit management since they started up.  They have ruined and wasted the careers of many great athletes with their incompetence.

tl;dr Fuck Bill O'Brien and Cal McNair

Edited by Heisenberg
  • Like 1

Jesus Christ. I’m not a big NFL guy but I like to think I know who the stars are in the league. Had to google David Johnson, fuck I don’t even know if that’s 100% his right name.

BOB will be know as getting rid of Clowney and Hopkins when he needed to dump Watt, and for bringing in Osweiler. He is torching the team after giving up in the KC game

9 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Untrue because I am in the know and I know this isn't known

• Like 2