Houston Texans Traded Deandre Hopkins to Arizona Cardinals for David Johnson

Vic Mackey

Jesus Christ. I’m not a big NFL guy but I like to think I know who the stars are in the league. Had to google David Johnson, fuck I don’t even know if that’s 100% his right name.
BOB will be know as getting rid of Clowney and Hopkins when he needed to dump Watt, and for bringing in Osweiler. He is torching the team after giving up in the KC game
Just googled clowney because I dont recall ONCE hearing about him, he was a ghost. Lowest sacks, combined tackles, and solo tackles last season and it's not even close to past numbers. The Texans won that battle. He is done at the end of his current contract unless he steps it up tenfold.

Stats: 3 sacks in seattle. 31 tackles, 21 solo. 13 games.

PAY THIS MAN HOUSTON!

On edit: that's 5 million dollars per sack for seattle. He (if i am correct) had a 1 for 15 deal with seattle.

Still want him houston fans? Tell BoB to re-sign him please so us cowboys fans can laugh at teams not named cowboys or Bills the last quarter century.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pff-ranks-the-top-10-edge-defenders-ahead-of-the-2019-nfl-season

Clowney wasn't bad by any means prior to the 2019 season. I wouldn't place him among the elite pass rushers, but he was effective. The one stat that stood out was :

Clowney has earned run-defense grades north of 75.0 in each of the last four seasons, and a staggering 47.2% of his career run tackles have been for a loss of yardage or no gain — second to only Michael Bennett (53.7%) among the 94 edge defenders with at least 500 run-defense snaps since 2014.

That's literally a TFL every other tackle against the run.

I was fine with letting Clowney go. He’s a heck of a player but for the price he will demand in his contract, and his health issues and how he checks out mentally so often, he just isn’t worth paying the price that he will demand. I think he’s a bad ass but just my opinion.

Hopkins trade obvi a head scratcher but I’m generally opposed to mega-contracts unless it’s a great QB or a JJ Watt/ LT/Champ Bailey total game changer type, so I’m OK with not keeping him around considering his next contract will be worth a gold mine. The headline of this entire thing is how little we got back for him and how incompetent our management is. Going to miss Hop, but he’s the only wide receiver that could be considered elite that doesn’t get double covered because he’s not fast enough.

It's really all my fault guys.  I was a diehard Houston Oiler fan and the move and colors going to Tennessee confused me for many years.  I warmed up to the Texas a year before last, and then I went all in this year!  They then go 1-4... so very, very much like my old Oilers.  Then like my beloved Oilers they somehow managed to squeak into the playoffs and get a huge 21 point lead.... I knew right then the Chiefs were going to win... I still remembered the Oilers ahead by 30+ and shitting the bed. 

Apparently my NFL fandom is a curse. This trade is sort of more confirming cursedness....

11 hours ago, markstanco said:
11 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:
Jesus Christ. I’m not a big NFL guy but I like to think I know who the stars are in the league. Had to google David Johnson, fuck I don’t even know if that’s 100% his right name.
BOB will be know as getting rid of Clowney and Hopkins when he needed to dump Watt, and for bringing in Osweiler. He is torching the team after giving up in the KC game

Just googled clowney because I dont recall ONCE hearing about him, he was a ghost. Lowest sacks, combined tackles, and solo tackles last season and it's not even close to past numbers. The Texans won that battle. He is done at the end of his current contract unless he steps it up tenfold.

Whoa now.  There's validity in saying Clowney doesn't warrant a huge contract.  In what has become a common occurrence, there's no excuse to not get a bigger haul than we did last year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Just came here to post this. Holy shit if true (and there's a chance it isn't - Irvin makes shit up sometimes) and if it is true then O'Brien needs to be fired immediately. 

Edited by The Dog

Just to be clear, Seattle’s front noticeably better with clowney in the lineup than without. Sacks don’t tell the entire story, check the tape.

Also if any of that info from Irvin can be confirmed, Bill O’Brien needs to be fired immediately.

12 minutes ago, Drew said:

The actual wording was "the last time I had a meeting like this was with Aaron Hernandez" not that he was comparing the player to him.  IF that calms your nerves.  Probably not though.

I mean, at least he didn't say "Jerry Sandusky," amiright?

• Like 1

Assuming Irvin’s statements are true would you consider that race related? If so that’s the 3rd or 4th thing I can think of around the organization (Old McNair comments, Brian Gaine, Duane Brown, I’m sure I missed another).  As a Houstonian, I just want an owner that doesn’t have the last name McNair.

I think Bully Bill overplayed his hand with this trade. In fact, with all the shit being posted on twitter and comments from former or potential players, Cal McNair might actually have to do something. Houston sports is far too sensitive and damaged for a Bill O’Brien right now. 

Rod Babers posting the Bill O’Brien highlights on Twitter is pretty great, btw. 

Edited by Sejjr

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

Just to be clear, Seattle’s front noticeably better with clowney in the lineup than without. Sacks don’t tell the entire story, check the tape.

Also if any of that info from Irvin can be confirmed, Bill O’Brien needs to be fired immediately.

Make it so

This trade is even more ridiculous from a Cardinals fan's perspective. Johnson has been playing like ass since 2018 when we gave him a huge deal and made him one of the highest paid RBs in the league. In the middle of last year we got Kenyan Drake who was amazing. I dont think Johnson even got 5 more snaps after Drake was added to the roster. However, with the huge amount of cap space tied to Johnson we didnt think we would be able to afford resigning Drake. You just cant spend that much money on the running back room. The idea of finding a team dumb enough to take on Johnson's contract seemed impossible. Cardinals fans didn't even think we would be able to GIVE Johnson away. 

Now we have arguably the best WR in the league and can justify spending on Drake. All for just a 2nd round pick and giving away our backup running back. Johnson is still a good pass catcher, but he is slow as hell and will go down immediately with any contact. 

Edited by Gigglebush
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Of course he's going to say that. He's not going to burn any bridges on social media and call out any coaches/GMs and trash a team's decision. 

I don’t know, if someone said to him that you’re like Aaron Hernandez or some shit like that, you can just not tweet at all. He went out of his way to tweet that this is being made bigger than it is, and he respects the Coach. Could’ve just said hey thanks Houston no hard feelings etc, left out the I respect coach part, etc

Edited by The Earl of Texas

40 minutes ago, Gigglebush said:

Johnson is still a good pass catcher, but he is slow as hell and will go down immediately with any contact. 

He was taken in the top 5 of every fantasy draft for the past several years. He's not just some pass catcher who’s slow and weak.

34 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

He was taken in the top 5 of every fantasy draft for the past several years. He's not just some pass catcher who’s slow and weak. He doesn’t fit Kliff’s system.

I hope he bounces back and does great, but he was also bad the year before Kliff arrived, injured the year before that. You can look up his stats, which are bad, but I watched the games and l am warning you HE IS SLOW. Apparently he's been working on losing some bulk this offseason so maybe that changes. Anyone that took him in fantasy the past couple years got fucked. 

Edited by Gigglebush
  • Like 1

He was RB11 in 2019 before he got hurt, and has been running behind a bad line for years. And despite fucking over fantasy owners, people kept taking him because he’s got great athletic gifts and fantasy people love talent/potential.

Not saying he’s great but trying to say he’s bad is also untrue.

Texans will overpay for him, especially considering we could’ve waited for him to get cut and then sign him, but there are two conversations being had here - how bad of a trade this was for the Texans, and is DJ weak and slow and can only catch.

2 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

He was taken in the top 5 of every fantasy draft for the past several years. He's not just some pass catcher who’s slow and weak.

Fucking triggered

*and as one of the idiots who drafted him last season, at no time was he top 5 last year. He was gifted some garbage TDs to look respectable for a few weeks before falling off a cliff 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

"Bill O'Brien has traded away Clowney and Hopkins and somehow has ZERO first round picks. Not even fucking his own. LOL.  That is inexplicable incompetence."

What's the degree of difficulty in not landing at least one first rounder?  Quite an accomplishment to pull that off.

On 3/17/2020 at 2:16 PM, TexasGolf said:

again, you don't know the background

I do.  I don't have inside info on much.  But I do on the Texans due to family and friends who are very much on the inside.  The background is Cal McNair is an idiot and gave O'Brien Bellichek powers despite him being at best an average coach.  He's proved to be just a trainwreck as a GM.

There is no excuse to the fucking stupidity O'Brien has done as a GM over the last year.  It's like he's a plant sent in to fuck this team over for as long as possible in the shortest amount of time.

Edited by Johnny Sack

On 3/17/2020 at 3:43 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Hey, I'm not defending him. My NFL loyalty died with the Oilers, so I am detached about this whole thing. I just have a hard time accepting what appears to be complete and utter stupidity at face value. This trade is such an outlier it just has me wondering what really went down, you know? I guess it could be that Occam's Razor really is that Bill-O really is a complete moron.

It takes two complete morons to do this.  Bill and Cal.  If either one of them was not a complete moron this does not happen.

8 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Hopkins was the #1 overall WR in 2017 and #4 in 2018.

He also wasn’t a top 5 pick every year. Maybe first round.

Poster was ( attempting to) using FF to qualify a player's value.

Maybe BoB is in his league...

On 3/16/2020 at 7:56 PM, TexasGolf said:

Besides emotional pain and personal issues he is having off the field I can’t get into, Hop was going to hold out. He wanted a trade. 

Philly didn’t want him. Seattle said no thanks. Ravens offered a 5th and said “we know he can’t run routes.”  better off after the trade or else would’ve been in a Clowney situation where we would’ve gotten nothing if waited

Even if we stipulate to your “inside info” (that, to be clear, I don’t believe), this is still a terrible trade. Having to take back David Johnson makes this worse than the Clowney deal. He’s a net negative with that awful contract-his production could easily be replaced by a RB taken with that surrendered 4th round pick for less than a tenth of the cost. Calling him a has been is too generous, given he has one good season in his career. He’s a never was.

• Like 2

"Bill O'Brien has traded away Clowney and Hopkins and somehow has ZERO first round picks. Not even fucking his own. LOL.  That is inexplicable incompetence."
What's the degree of difficulty in not landing at least one first rounder?  Quite an accomplishment to pull that off.
According to some posters above he sucks and is slow. Sounds like the texans got a fair deal if so.

• 7 months later...
7 minutes ago, Hate said:

DeAndre.

I enjoy mocking the Texans and arguing with my family and friends about how embarrassing they are, so I guess I’m that asshole. Oh well. 

Anyway, I was watching the late games on mute while cooking last night and they flashed over, live, to show the Murray hail Mary to Hopkins. I just kind of watched in silence for a seconds and thought, “well, that is just about the most Texans thing ever” and went back to making gravy. 

It doesn’t matter who the next guy is Houston. That franchise could fuck up a soup sandwich. 

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I enjoy mocking the Texans and arguing with my family and friends about how embarrassing they are, so I guess I’m that asshole. Oh well. 

Anyway, I was watching the late games on mute while cooking last night and they flashed over, live, to show the Murray hail Mary to Hopkins. I just kind of watched in silence for a seconds and thought, “well, that is just about the most Texans thing ever” and went back to making gravy. 

It doesn’t matter who the next guy is Houston. That franchise could fuck up a soup sandwich. 

What kind of gravy? Onion, Scratch, Country, Brown?

Texans stopped being funny or interesting to me years ago.  Now they are like that possum on the freeway that is literally just a red spot with flattened fur that is no longer recognizable as a previously living animal.  What is still really funny, however, is fucking Kliff Kingsbury in first place of the NFC West.  Holy shit.  Hahaha. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1