Corona 2020/Dallas restaurants thread

C-Man

Well, Eric Johnson went and shut down the restaurants and bars -- at least for dining-in anyway.  Just got off the phone with one of my closest buddies whose family has owned Sammy's BBQ since it opened in the early 1990's. He's pretty bummed.

Be smart -- but support the local restaurants that you love by ordering take-out or using Doordash/Favor or whatever as much as you can during this time.

Thanks for starting this thread.  Hope to see places like Cattleack figure out some kind of system for curbside pickup of larger ($100+?) orders (i.e., take order over phone in advance via credit card, set pickup time, give vehicle identifier, etc., deliver food to window) seems like it could work.

Well, just got the Cattleack email and they are making changes but I don't think the correct ones.  "Take-Out" only and recommending people space themselves in lines among other things I don't think move the needle much from a risk perspective.   Good luck with that.  I won't be participating.  Hoping it flops so they come up with a better plan.

Just went to try to “support the local businesses” and stoped by Honor Bar.  Shit was surreal.  Front door wasn’t open.  Went around back and they served me through the window.  Not a service window...just a fresh air window.  Didn’t want to handle cash but did.  Highland Park Village, which I normally drive through and think to myself, “economy seems fine to me,” was a ghost town.  Crazy.

• Like 1

In Oak Cliff (in addition to normal takeout available and food delivery services):

Taco y Vino: curbside special 6 tacos and a bottle of Cava / $30 + 50% off for service industry workers

Zen Sushi:  chilled bottle of chardonnay with pick up or delivery orders of $50 or more.  Curbside available

Nova:  Curbisde takeout now available

Cibo di Vino:  all takeout, but not curbside.  Great things to pick up (brined chicken, 44 farms steaks, etc.).  Plus family meals for 3-4 people ($50 for pizzas with sides and dessert, $60 for pastas with sides and bread).  But, you have to go inside.

Oddfellows: takeout window open, plus "provisions" on the sidewalk (fresh goods available for sale)

Lucia:  fabulous take out menu available yesterday (pretty much full menu at full menu prices).  Sold out by 3:30.  Updated today that they are now closed completely while they try to figure out what to do.

Boulievardiere:  full menu -- other than raw bar -- available for take out (presume you have to go inside).  No specials indicated.

Paradiso: "no contact" takeout from full menu.

Pretty extensive lists here.  Plus I would  imagine if you really want a particular spot and are willing to go pick it up  just call and they will make it happen someway just to get the business.

https://dallas.eater.com/2020/3/17/21182874/coronavirus-dallas-takeout-while-restaurants-closed

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/03-18-20-dallas-restaurants-takeout-curbside-delivery-to-go/

Edited by Sparky
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 2:06 PM, Skipper said:

Well, just got the Cattleack email and they are making changes but I don't think the correct ones.  "Take-Out" only and recommending people space themselves in lines among other things I don't think move the needle much from a risk perspective.   Good luck with that.  I won't be participating.  Hoping it flops so they come up with a better plan.

Cattleack's food is amazing but I sometimes get the feeling that Todd just doesn't get life -- does that make sense? His wife is a sweetheart. Him? Not so much.

Talked to my close buddy who owns Sammy's BBQ downtown last night and they're getting crushed by this. He's vowed to not let any of his guys go and is paying them out of his own pocket while things are shuttered. They're still doing takeout and delivery so please hit them up if you can.

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

Cattleack's food is amazing but I sometimes get the feeling that Todd just doesn't get life -- does that make sense? His wife is a sweetheart. Him? Not so much.

Yeah I think I’ve mentioned it before, but I’ve always gotten a little bit of a soup nazi vibe from him.  Always makes me slightly nervous when I’m about 2-3 out in the line.  Part of the charm I guess?  Love his BBQ though.

I find myself struggling with how to prioritize where I get my delivery/to-go from.  Logical way to look at it is to start with my handful of favorites (everyone has those).  However, I know several of them (maybe even all of them) are either owned/backed by gazillionairs or part of a major restaurant conglomerate...or both.  Seems those types of places should have the resources to ride this thing out much longer than the small mom and pop one owner type places will.  Wish there was a way to tell which ones need it the most.

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I find myself struggling with how to prioritize where I get my delivery/to-go from.  Logical way to look at it is to start with my handful of favorites (everyone has those).  However, I know several of them (maybe even all of them) are either owned/backed by gazillionairs or part of a major restaurant conglomerate...or both.  Seems those types of places should have the resources to ride this thing out much longer than the small mom and pop one owner type places will.  Wish there was a way to tell which ones need it the most.

I got a chuckle out of a discussion on Park Cities Chatter on Facebook. Lando, your wife probably saw it. There was a GoFundMe set up to help the employees of Honor Bar. The goal was $100K. My wife said they've dropped it to $50K. They've raised $3500 total. The thread devolved into people complaining about the shitty service, $20 glasses of wine and the fact that Hillstone is a $500M restaurant operation that doesn't take care of their employees. An ex-Honor Bar employee jumped in and said the company just sucks.

It was pretty enlightening. I've been fighting something all week long -- not Covid-19, I don't think, but basically feel like I've had a low-grade, 4-day hangover (no fever) -- so I haven't ventured out but one time to the grocery store and have been eating all meals at home. Think I'll venture out to get something tonight.

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I got a chuckle out of a discussion on Park Cities Chatter on Facebook. Lando, your wife probably saw it. There was a GoFundMe set up to help the employees of Honor Bar. The goal was $100K. My wife said they've dropped it to $50K. They've raised $3500 total. The thread devolved into people complaining about the shitty service, $20 glasses of wine and the fact that Hillstone is a $500M restaurant operation that doesn't take care of their employees. An ex-Honor Bar employee jumped in and said the company just sucks.

It was pretty enlightening. I've been fighting something all week long -- not Covid-19, I don't think, but basically feel like I've had a low-grade, 4-day hangover (no fever) -- so I haven't ventured out but one time to the grocery store and have been eating all meals at home. Think I'll venture out to get something tonight.

Dude...I think if you're feeling any part of kinda shitty, just stay home.  Better to be safe than sorry.  Either that or you left out the part that it very well may be a 4-day hangover...amirite???

29 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Dude...I think if you're feeling any part of kinda shitty, just stay home.  Better to be safe than sorry.  Either that or you left out the part that it very well may be a 4-day hangover...amirite???

I left the house for 20 minutes yesterday to pick up a couple things at CM and just get out. Hadn't left the house since getting home from work on Monday night.

This is the same crud I had week before last. It's either allergies or a sinus deal. No fever at all and I've been checking every few hours.

32 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

BTW, Darrell (my BBQ buddy) is pretty certain he picked up Covid-19 from his trip to NYC the week before this exploded. He's gotten over it for the most part but didn't sound like a walk in the park.

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

I left the house for 20 minutes yesterday to pick up a couple things at CM and just get out. Hadn't left the house since getting home from work on Monday night.

This is the same crud I had week before last. It's either allergies or a sinus deal. No fever at all and I've been checking every few hours.

Well do what you gotta do man.  But I wouldn’t be risking shit right now...either that I have it with mild symptoms and might give it to someone else, or that my immune system is a little down with some other crud and might increase my chances of getting it.  Not sure if that’s how any of this works, but I’m on the better to be safe than sorry train.

BTW... sucks to hear about Derrell.  Tell him to hang in there.  Hope he’s out of the woods.

Oak highlands is doing a BBQ curbside deal today so I grabbed a combo meal for $35 which had a smoked whole chicken, 1Lb of brisket, 2 portions each of mashed taters and green beans. Of course while I was there I grabbed about $40 with of tasty, tasty brew including their barrel aged cherry vanilla porter. 

• Like 1

Gotta plug one of my favorite places in town.  Family had Drake's delivered last night and they did an amazing job.  Really good prices for what you get.  Pretty much had a complete traditional steakhouse meal for 3 for around $200 plus tip.  My steak was perfectly cooked and the salads, sides and non-steak entrees (1 chicken and 1 burger) were all great.  Also got 2 bottles of wine (30% off their already reasonable prices) plus martinis plus desert.  Getting mixed drinks delivered is a game changer.

At one point, they laid the phone down to put me on hold for a minute while they went to check something for me.  I could hear Frank Sinatra crooning in the background and I could almost picture us having a blast dining, drinking, people watching and laughing with friends again.  Almost brought a tear to my eye.  Love that place and really hope they make it through this thing.  Order from them if you want to have a fun steakhouse night at home sometime.

https://www.drakeshollywood.com/

• Like 1

picked up from Glorias on Greenville on Sunday.  We had not left the house to go anywhere all week and needed a change for dinner.  Looked like they are had about 5 other to go orders set out on the table waiting for pickup.  They said specifically that the TABC told them they could not sell margs to go but only beer or wine.

They took my CC back and ran it at the POS machine, but everyone in there was wearing gloves.  Had the front entrance blocked off right before the hostess station.

anyone know of a place (lakewood-ish area) that is saying fuck you to the TABC and selling margs to go?  PM if so.

20 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

anyone know of a place (lakewood-ish area) that is saying fuck you to the TABC and selling margs to go?  PM if so.

Are we sure it’s the TABC putting the clamps down on this?  I’ve seen a couple different places promoting to-go cocktails around the park cities area.  Only place I’ve heard near me that isn’t doing margaritas is Mi Cocina.  Also haven’t checked anywhere else.  But I just assumed it was a by choice thing.

2 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Are we sure it’s the TABC putting the clamps down on this?  I’ve seen a couple different places promoting to-go cocktails around the park cities area.  Only place I’ve heard near me that isn’t doing margaritas is Mi Cocina.  Also haven’t checked anywhere else.  But I just assumed it was a by choice thing.

Person i talked to at Glorias said they want to sell ritas but cannot.  They are selling beer and wine, but don't mixed drinks fall under a different category?  Like the dipshit eskimo slushy king who wrecked shaggy; that slush stuff is all wine based, right?  They could not sell something to go with a real 80 proof spirit in it?

I think Kingston was trying to see if/what the TABC was doing but I have not followed up on that twitter thread in a while.

Here's a pretty extensive list from Eater that was just posted a couple days ago and maybe is still being updated?  Still very confused on the whole TABC part though as the article says...

"Of course, the newly relaxed rules do come with some stipulations — any alcohol deliveries must be made alongside food, and all alcoholic beverages must be in their original sealed containers for delivery. Which means that restaurants won’t be able to mix up a cocktail and deliver it to drinkers in a to-go cup, but options like DIY cocktail mixing kits and bottled spirits are still totally on the table."

Then the list goes on to include several places that look to have to-go cocktails besides just beer and wine.  So, hell if I know.

Where to Order Cocktails, Wine, and More Boozy Options for Delivery in DFW

22 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

picked up from Glorias on Greenville on Sunday.  We had not left the house to go anywhere all week and needed a change for dinner.  Looked like they are had about 5 other to go orders set out on the table waiting for pickup.  They said specifically that the TABC told them they could not sell margs to go but only beer or wine.

They took my CC back and ran it at the POS machine, but everyone in there was wearing gloves.  Had the front entrance blocked off right before the hostess station.

That's weird. I picked up a fully mixed frozen margarita from Urban Rio in downtown Plano on Saturday night. Packed it in a styrofoam cup covered in plastic wrap and I just took it home to put in a glass. 

So, are even to-go/delivery restaurants shuttered by the shelter-in-place order or not?

We have enough stuff at home, but we've been venturing out every second or third day just for shits-n-giggles and to support the locals.

Gonna probably need to make a grocery run in a day or two and dread that, because the empty aisles and shelves piss me the fuck off.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:45 AM, gyroprotagonist said:

Desperados on Greenville. Caveat is you have to order for 4 people to get the gallon marg container to go. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, are even to-go/delivery restaurants shuttered by the shelter-in-place order or not?

We have enough stuff at home, but we've been venturing out every second or third day just for shits-n-giggles and to support the locals.

Gonna probably need to make a grocery run in a day or two and dread that, because the empty aisles and shelves piss me the fuck off.

They can't close restaurants/delivery because it's an essential food supply. As bare as the shelves are now for certain things if they shut down take out/delivery every grocery store would look like the fall of the Solviet Union with lines of people waiting to see if they get to choose between getting beans or no beans today. 

• Like 1

So, the numbers aren't working for full service places, as much as they tried to stay alive with take out, special meals, etc.  Boulevardiere closed yesterday.  Lucia and Macellaio too.  Nova's last night is tonight.  Several others closed already.  I wonder which ones will make it back.

27 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

So, the numbers aren't working for full service places, as much as they tried to stay alive with take out, special meals, etc.  Boulevardiere closed yesterday.  Lucia and Macellaio too.  Nova's last night is tonight.  Several others closed already.  I wonder which ones will make it back.

I was wondering about that.  Seems places most likely to make it are those that already do heavy to-go like mexican food restaurants, asian, etc.  I didn't think the higher end places would be able to hang on.

I'm straying the line of wanting to help the locals that I love and wanting to limit my exposure to pretty much everything. That's what was nice about Lakewood Growler. Emailed in an order, they called when it was ready and took my CC over the phone. Ask how much tip to put on for me as well. So I get there, they meet me outside with gloves on, receipt taped to the crowler. Nothing to sign, no pinpad to touch, no credit card to hand over. It was great for all involved. 

Service and hospitality are at our core; it's what we love to do, which is why we are launching Uchi Dallas Curbside Pickup on Wednesday, March 25th, to continue serving the Dallas community during this time. Pickup will be available from 4:00 pm – 8:30 pm, and we'll open up our phone lines at 3:30 to start taking reservations. The other good news, we're offering 25% off all our wine, beer and sake and giving you a $25 gift card with each order to come and see us when we re-open.

For Curbside Orders:

View our curbside menu online or on Instagram
To place your order, call (214) 855-5454 between 3:30 – 8:30pm or reserve a pickup time through our website and we will reach out before your reserved time to take your order over the phone.

Pick up is 4:00 pm – 8:30 pm

Once you arrive, please pull into the front driveway
You’ll be greeted by an Uchi employee who will deliver your food to your car. If someone is not immediately available upon arrival, please call (214) 855-5454

We are doing our best to navigate this unprecedented time in our history to best serve you, our community, and our employees. We appreciate your ongoing support, and we will remain optimistic for when we can open our doors to you again.

Someone in our neighborhood Facebook group thought it would be wise to bring a food truck up to the now closed local city park and invite the neighborhood. She claims the truck will put out cones to show how far apart each person should stand and will enforce the distance and that they will also stagger ordering and pickup times. Yeah, I'll stick to not going anywhere near that. 

Edited by mdmost

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

Someone in our neighborhood Facebook group thought it would be wise to bring a food truck up to the now closed local city park and invite the neighborhood. She claims the truck will put out cones to show how far apart each person should stand and will enforce the distance and that they will also stagger ordering and pickup times. Yeah, I'll stick to not going anywhere near that. 

I’ll see your dumb neighbor and raise you a neighbor of mine (aggy) who thought it would be a good idea for everyone on our block to meet for happy hour outside in the middle of our block at 5:00.  Every.  Fucking.  Day.  Just maintain a safe distance and we should all be fine.  All 45 of us at once.  Yeah, that’s one happy hour I’ll be happy to skip.

Thankfully, someone with half a brain contacted someone official who put the clamps on it...so it’s been canceled.

Just saw a report on WFAA about the free meals being provided by HG SPLY and HERO. Initially meant for service industry workers, they don't care anymore. Anybody who needs a free meal. Make sure you patronize these places once things open back up.

• Like 2

This was one of the comments from the neighborhood FB group posts on the food truck. All seemed well, social distancing was adhered to. But then:

My only complaint. They people that I observed in the truck did not have any gloves on and neither did the woman who handed me my food. Not good.

6BPiP.gif.2b3b2dbf74cef8d740a41c87afdc057a.gif

I called and placed a delivery order at District 9 Draft Haus. Driver, who was the one who took my call, was at my door with all my food and two growlers of beer in like 15 minutes. Saw him take off gloves and put new gloves on in his car before bringing it up to the house. They were extremely friendly and food was awesome. I hope they make it through this. 

• Like 1

I'm going to get some District 9 beers when I next run low. They are offering to sanitize growlers if you bring them in. We ordered some takeout from El Vecino and ate in our backyard. Doing a lot of outdoor dining since the weather is nice for this brief little period before the devil's anus is unleashed on Texas. They had a steady stream of customers when I drove up to get my order. I feel especially bad for the owners as they also own The Lot. The Lot isn't regarded for the food but for anyone in near White Rock Lake with kids, it's a great place to take your kids so they can play in the giant sandbox area. Unless I'm wrong, the Lot is completely shut down. 

Got Mi Cocina from Highland Park Village last night.  Pretty good little system they have if people follow it, but there were some really concerning things.

Placed the order online and headed over a little before my pickup time which was an hour out from when I placed the order.  It was PACKED.  Big sign out front that says "stay in your car, we'll call you".  I was able to follow directions and just popped the hatch and asked them to put my stuff in the back when they called which they did.  I paid and tipped online so I guess I didn't have to sign anything.  So, pretty much zero human interaction and really easy, everything their normal level of good food and they had to-go margaritas and beer so that was cool.

The disturbing part was all the people who were interacting way too much for my comfort level.  Like I said, it was really crowded and it just felt like a very concentrated area of a lot of people with varying degrees of anything but social distancing.  Ranging from windows down, to getting out of their cars just to apparently stretch their legs, to walking up to check on their orders, to talking to people in other cars, to taking their dog for a walk.  And several cars did come face-to-face with the worker to pay their tabs using the normal waiter plastic tab folder thing that everyone else was using.  Guess they opted to pay when they got there rather than online.

But probably the worst part was that in the 10 or so minutes I was there waiting, I witnessed 2 separate carloads of what appeared to be high school girls who were just hanging out together like it was nothing.  One car had 3 girls and one had 5 and trust me, they weren't all sisters.  And sure as shit, both cars had girls get out on separate occasions.  One to go talk to one of the workers, presumably to check on their order, standing about a foot from the worker for quite a while having a conversation.  The other was the girl in the backseat who needed to get out to lean into the front seat and listen to music and sing and dance with the other 2 girls because she clearly didn't want to feel left out and needed the attention.  What part of social distancing and shelter at home do they not understand?  I'm embarrassed for that generation of continued stupidity with this thing.  And I'm especially embarrassed for their parents.  Where are their fucking parents?

As much as I want to support the restaurants, I think I might stick to the delivery orders if that's what curbside pickup looks like.  I don't want to paint them all with a broad stroke, but MiCo needed to get a handle on that shit.  It's curbside pickup, not a fucking social scene.  Anyway, I'm gonna go yell at some kids to get off my lawn now.

Edited by Landomatic