Corona 2020/Dallas restaurants thread

C-Man

Couple of points, that teenage crap has been going on non-stop during this whole ordeal. I agree with you, it’s nuts but happening all over. College kids too, many of them don’t give a shit. And that’s why 75225 leads the way in positive cases for the area. Everyone came back from spring break trips and then hung out with all their friends again.

Friend of mine who lives 75225 said neighbor girl in her 30s been having pool parties every day. Lots of cars coming.

On Mi Cocina, they have same setup at the West Village. Lots of orange cones setup to avoid people gathering but like you said, people will do it anyways.

I was smoking wings but tried to go pick up to-go Margs from Lake Highlands MiCo last night.  They indicated TABC told them they had to stop selling them.  I'm sure that is the 'law' but seriously, fuck TABC.  What a worthless organization to presumably threaten restaurants during this.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I was smoking wings but tried to go pick up to-go Margs from Lake Highlands MiCo last night.  They indicated TABC told them they had to stop selling them.  I'm sure that is the 'law' but seriously, fuck TABC.  What a worthless organization to presumably threaten restaurants during this.

Blue goose was advertising to go margs today so I'm not sure what the hell is going on anymore 

35 minutes ago, Skipper said:

2 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Blue goose was advertising to go margs today so I'm not sure what the hell is going on anymore 

Mine last night was a 3 pack frozen kit which consisted of...3 styrofoam cups of virgin margarita slush and a small bottle of tequila.  Rule as I understand it is that the alcohol just has to be 1) sold in its original container and 2) sold with some kind of food, which can just be chips and salsa from what I understand.

3 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Couple of points, that teenage crap has been going on non-stop during this whole ordeal. I agree with you, it’s nuts but happening all over. College kids too, many of them don’t give a shit. And that’s why 75225 leads the way in positive cases for the area. Everyone came back from spring break trips and then hung out with all their friends again.

Friend of mine who lives 75225 said neighbor girl in her 30s been having pool parties every day. Lots of cars coming.

On Mi Cocina, they have same setup at the West Village. Lots of orange cones setup to avoid people gathering but like you said, people will do it anyways.

Address of 30s neighbor girl with pool parties?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Mine last night was a 3 pack frozen kit which consisted of...3 styrofoam cups of virgin margarita slush and a small bottle of tequila.  Rule as I understand it is that the alcohol just has to be 1) sold in its original container and 2) sold with some kind of food, which can just be chips and salsa from what I understand.

Ok.  This makes sense.  And possibly consistent with what they were doing at the Lake Highlands branch.   It still sucks they can't just sell them.   I'm sure there are some degenerates still out there but drinking and driving has to be at an all time low and I can't fathom that allowing take-out drinks is going to move the needle in the current environment.

It wouldn’t shock me if Country Strong Clay Jenkins orders all parks and trails closed tomorrow. Lots of social media posts from Council members talking about how no one is practicing social distancing at White Rock Lake, Katy Trail, and other spots. 

Plugging Taco y Vino.  Great stuff.  Curbside.  You have to put your card in the reader, but otherwise contactless.  6 tacos and a bottle of wine for $30.  $4 appetizer specials.

Emporium pies is also nailing it.  Very careful setup.  And pies!

Trying Stock and Barrell next.

22 hours ago, Landomatic said:

But probably the worst part was that in the 10 or so minutes I was there waiting, I witnessed 2 separate carloads of what appeared to be high school girls who were just hanging out together like it was nothing.  One car had 3 girls and one had 5 and trust me, they weren't all sisters.  And sure as shit, both cars had girls get out on separate occasions.  One to go talk to one of the workers, presumably to check on their order, standing about a foot from the worker for quite a while having a conversation.  The other was the girl in the backseat who needed to get out to lean into the front seat and listen to music and sing and dance with the other 2 girls because she clearly didn't want to feel left out and needed the attention.  What part of social distancing and shelter at home do they not understand?  I'm embarrassed for that generation of continued stupidity with this thing.  And I'm especially embarrassed for their parents.  Where are their fucking parents?

I've been riding my bike over the Rowlett/Rockwall bridge every day, so I see a lot of boats.  95% of those that I see have one or two guys, usually fishing.  The other 5% would be a boat crammed with 8-12 high school-ish aged kids.  

I decided to go all out on Saturday and support my favorite local steakhouse Bob's and wow that was the worst to-go steak I've ever had in my entire life. I'm going to give them a pass because their dine-in experience is amazing but goddamn I've had better steak from Saltgrass.

I think I'm done getting food to go anyway. I really need to take this seriously and just cook from home.

19 hours ago, Skipper said:

From what I understand, restaurants cannot serve opened bottles of spirits and a mixed margarita counts as that. The only way they can legally sell it is by giving you the liquor in a sealed bottle. Stupid as hell and just another reason why the TABC needs to be launched into the sun.

6 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I decided to go all out on Saturday and support my favorite local steakhouse Bob's and wow that was the worst to-go steak I've ever had in my entire life. I'm going to give them a pass because their dine-in experience is amazing but goddamn I've had better steak from Saltgrass.

I think I'm done getting food to go anyway. I really need to take this seriously and just cook from home.

From what I understand, restaurants cannot serve opened bottles of spirits and a mixed margarita counts as that. The only way they can legally sell it is by giving you the liquor in a sealed bottle. Stupid as hell and just another reason why the TABC needs to be launched into the sun.

I saw a post where Joe T's was selling margaritas in plastic bottles that were sealed. My guess they're pouring from the machine into the plastic bottle, slapping a sticker on it and then putting on the top that has the tamper-proof thing on it.

So if you follow Chef’s Produce Company they’re doing produce drop offs across DFW for $45, $10 of which goes to an emergency fund for hospitality workers in town. They usually do 3-4 spots per day. Today they were at Jose on Lovers. Tomorrow they’re at HG SPLY in Plano and a few other places. I went by Jose today. It’s a lot of food.

012fb6473508fd72edfb7b02e721d52b.jpg

9 hours ago, C-Man said:

So if you follow Chef’s Produce Company they’re doing produce drop offs across DFW for $45, $10 of which goes to an emergency fund for hospitality workers in town. They usually do 3-4 spots per day. Today they were at Jose on Lovers. Tomorrow they’re at HG SPLY in Plano and a few other places. I went by Jose today. It’s a lot of food.

Hell the rice and eggs alone are worth $45

2 minutes ago, threesheets said:

@Jameslaw121- got a martini for the wife with my to go order at Roman Cucina last night.  In a clear plastic cup with no tape. No fucks indeed.  Good food btw if you've never been. 

yeah, we eat there about once a month or so. Good place. Did they let you get a drink while you waited?

Edited by Jameslaw121

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Hell the rice and eggs alone are worth $45

Dammit -- Brian Luscher said he was throwing in packages of Post Oak Red Hots in about a dozen or so of the next boxes bought at Union Bear Brewing.

Supported our local pizza place, Tony's Pizzeria on NW Hwy and Easton. Kids love the pizza, strombolis, and garlic knots. Very weird to walk in there, a place normally packed with people at noon, and it's just the owner, 3 workers, and me. 

Tomorrow, a new brewery opens in Lake Highlands near mdleast called Vector Brewing. Going to grab some to go crowlers. They also do food but I'll just do beers for now. 

Edited by mdmost

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

Tomorrow, a new brewery opens in Lake Highlands near mdleast called Vector Brewing. Going to grab some to go crowlers. They also do food but I'll just do beers for now. 

Holy crap...I can’t even imagine right now.  Good on you for tryin to support them.  But, hate to say it...they are so fucked

Edited by Landomatic

You can film a “Chopped” episode with that basket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Holy crap...I can’t even imagine right now.  Good on you for tryin to support them.  But, hate to say it...they are so fucked

Yeah, their timing is awful. They've been working on their spot for about a year now. But if any area will support a new drinking establishment, it's Lake Highlands. Those people love to drink alcohol. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

We may need to start a "Dallas restaurants that didn't make it due to Corona" thread. First up, The Lot. Thankfully, El Vecino which they also own is still running. 

Has The Lot permanently shuttered? It's official.

Picked up food from a restaurant for the first time since this shelter-in-place started last night. I spent the first 2 weeks not feeling well at all and hardly eating and then have been eating stuff I've cooked at home for the most part since then. Ordered from Celebration, which is right up the street. We love those guys and wanted to support them. It was a very easy process. Don't forget about them as they're good people.

I think I'm going over to buy beer from Peticolas tomorrow. 

Ordered ZaLat last night through GrubHub.

Shit.  Show.

Placed the order at 7:00 and the GH app said it would be ready in 45 mins to an hour.  After much texting and calls from our delivery guy, we had our pizza at our house by 9:30.  Over 2 hours for some fucking pizza.  And our driver got really fucked because he was sitting for over an hour with no revenue.  He kept calling me telling me that ZaLat just kept chasing everyone away and telling them they all had to wait outside with no updates.  He was freezing (it was 41 degrees last night).  He didn't want to waste the gas and wait in his car with it running.  Then to top it off, we were missing part of our order once it finally showed up.  Went back to the app to file a complaint and it said we were 240th in line to speak with a customer service rep.

Felt bad for the driver.  Once he showed up, he was still wearing his amazon vest (assume from his day job).  I left him an extra $20 under the doormat (it was all the cash I had on hand), in addition to his already bigger than normal tip through the app, but it still didn't really feel like enough.

By the time I unboxed and decontaminated everything, we were sitting down to dinner at 9:45 after being told by the GrubHib app that we'd have it between 7:45 and 8:00.  And really no way of knowing anything throughout the process.  App just keeps bumping your estimated time, driver doesn't know anything other than he's freezing and basically losing money, ZaLat won't answer their phones.

Never again.

23 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:

Zalat pizza is the most quintessentially Dallas thing ever.

Maybe this will help...

Zalat’s New Takeout-Only Pizzeria Debuts This Month

This was always the plan for the new Lemmon Ave. location, even before the coronavirus dining room shutdowns

Dallas County’s shelter-in-place order isn’t stopping Zalat Pizza from expanding: the local chain will open its seventh location at 4007 Lemmon Ave., Suite B on Monday, on April 13.

Coincidentally, this new pizzeria outpost was never slated to have a dining room. It was always intended to serve as “cloud kitchen,” aka an outpost devoted solely to takeout and delivery. The newest Zalat location will serve up beef pepperoni- and pho-inspired pies for pickup and delivery via third-party apps.

“The plan for the new Lemmon Ave. location was always to serve as a cloud kitchen, and the model couldn’t be more appropriate given the current climate,” Zalat Pizza CEO and Founder of Khanh Nguyen said in a press release. “We’ve always had high delivery volumes to begin with, so we are adapting during this time to implement health standards and safety precautions for both staff and third-party drivers alike.”

When the new Lemmon Ave. location opens, it won’t have the late hours the brand is known for: this outpost will be open from 4 p.m. to midnight on Mondays through Thursdays, from noon until 2 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays, and noon to midnight on Sunday 12 p.m. The plan is to eventually open until 4 a.m.

7 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Maybe this will help...

Zalat’s New Takeout-Only Pizzeria Debuts This Month

This was always the plan for the new Lemmon Ave. location, even before the coronavirus dining room shutdowns

They were a little less of a shit show last night.  I ordered on the app and picked up myself.  Only about 5-10 minutes after 45 minute estimate at time of order.  About typical for a Saturday night.

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

They were a little less of a shit show last night.  I ordered on the app and picked up myself.  Only about 5-10 minutes after 45 minute estimate at time of order.  About typical for a Saturday night.

So how did that work?  You wait in your car until they call you then they bring it out. Or what?

On 4/2/2020 at 4:35 PM, mdmost said:

Supported our local pizza place, Tony's Pizzeria on NW Hwy and Easton. Kids love the pizza, strombolis, and garlic knots. Very weird to walk in there, a place normally packed with people at noon, and it's just the owner, 3 workers, and me. 

Did you get some Vector this weekend?  They were slammed on Friday night.  Can't imagine trying to work out the kinks in these circumstances, but they were so busy they had to shut off the online order feature.  I'll give it a shot in a few weeks.

We did Lover's Seafood the other night.  $25 poke for 2 and $25 Fried chicken dinner for 2.  The chicken was enough to feed 4.  Tons of fried chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans.  Easy pick up on Saturday night at 7:30.   Good stuff.

@Jive Turkey Yeah, I was there on Friday at 4:45 as I was able to get into the site and place an order. I already had to make a run to Target so I figured I could swing by on the way home. They had a great email about how you just show up, give them a call while staying in your car, and then turn your blinkers on after letting them know your make and model. They would bring everything out to you. Yeah, that didn't happen. Get there and there's a line of morons standing outside and others milling about right next to each other. They had over 100 orders in the first 10 minutes so they had to shut the site down to orders. The phones were slammed with people calling in to try to place an order. 

I sat in my car for 10 minutes trying to get through with no luck. I eventually got out and navigated my way around people to an area where there was no one standing around me. I talked to one of the workers as he came out as he had a list of people he was working through. It was a total shitshow. Got my beers for me and mdleast and then got the fuck out of there.

Many there were treating this like a big party. I get you're happy there's a new brewery and you've been waiting a while to get their beers but have some fucking common sense. Same with Vector. The beers were okay but I don't know if I'll go back considering how fucking stupid their setup was. They could have very easily had one employee come out and tell everyone to get back in their cars and that they would come around to get everyone's info to get their orders. Just fucking dumb. I was going to complain on their Facebook page but every post said nothing about the shitshow. It was all just glowing praise. So I sent them an email on their site. Lake Highlands people seem to be morons. I remember Corby posting a picture of 30 people hanging out waiting for their to-go orders at the Mi Cocina on Skillman. 

Edited by mdmost

9 minutes ago, mdmost said:

@Jive Turkey Yeah, I was there on Friday at 4:45 as I was able to get into the site and place an order. I already had to make a run to Target so I figured I could swing by on the way home. They had a great email about how you just show up, give them a call while staying in your car, and then turn your blinkers on after letting them know your make and model. They would bring everything out to you. Yeah, that didn't happen. Get there and there's a line of morons standing outside and others milling about right next to each other. They had over 100 orders in the first 10 minutes so they had to shut the site down to orders. The phones were slammed with people calling in to try to place an order. 

I sat in my car for 10 minutes trying to get through with no luck. I eventually got out and navigated my way around people to an area where there was no one standing around me. I talked to one of the workers as he came out as he had a list of people he was working through. It was a total shitshow. Got my beers for me and mdleast and then got the fuck out of there.

Many there were treating this like a big party. I get you're happy there's a new brewery and you've been waiting a while to get their beers but have some fucking common sense. Same with Vector. The beers were okay but I don't know if I'll go back considering how fucking stupid there setup was. They could have very easily had one employee come out and tell everyone to get back in their cars and that they would come around to get everyone's info to get their orders. Just fucking dumb. I was going to complain on their Facebook page but every post said nothing about the shitshow. It was all just glowing praise. So I sent them an email on their site. Lake Highlands people seem to be morons. I remember Corby posting a picture of 30 people hanging out waiting for their to-go orders at the Mi Cocina on Skillman. 

This all sounds very similar to my Mi Cocina experience at Highland Park Village a couple weeks ago.  So, not just Lake Highland people who are morons...people in general are morons.  And like this place, I felt Mi Cocina was about as much to blame as the masses of morons.  They could easily force people to stay in their cars.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

This all sounds very similar to my Mi Cocina experience at Highland Park Village a couple weeks ago.  So, not just Lake Highland people who are morons...people in general are morons.  And like this place, I felt Mi Cocina was about as much to blame as the masses of morons.  They could easily force people to stay in their cars.

I really liked and appreciated the Taco Deli (Walnut Hill) setup.  You can order either online or over the phone via credit card, then you park in designated parking spaces and text a phone number listed on a sign in front of each space (you text that you are there along with your parking space #), pop trunk and they bring it out to you and close trunk.  Simple and efficient.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

I really liked and appreciated the Taco Deli (Walnut Hill) setup.  You can order either online or over the phone via credit card, then you park in designated parking spaces and text a phone number listed on a sign in front of each space (you text that you are there along with your parking space #), pop trunk and they bring it out to you and close trunk.  Simple and efficient.

That sounds perfect...exactly how they should all be (or some version of it).

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

Had Del Frisco’s one year for Thanksgiving.  If their Easter food is anywhere close to that, I can HIGHLY recommend.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skipper said:

Everyone should be doing this. 

Ordered Streets Chicken last night and the setup was alright. Table blocking the door open to help keep distance from the guy running back and forth for orders. Tell them your name they bring food and sit it on the table and take your card.