Corona 2020/Dallas restaurants thread

C-Man

9 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Everyone should be doing this. 

Ordered Streets Chicken last night and the setup was alright. Table blocking the door open to help keep distance from the guy running back and forth for orders. Tell them your name they bring food and sit it on the table and take your card. 

Loved Street's the couple times I've been. Do they still do good work? I remember their collard greens being very on point. 

Yea it was solid. I don't go as much as I should considering it is about a 3 minute drive. Mondays they have 7.00 dollar hot chicken sandwich with fries. I got that and gf got the Sin Killer peri peri sandwich, also had collard greens and the maple brussel sprouts everything was fantastic.

I picked up Cane Rosso from the Deep Ellum location on Saturday.  Exact same setup as Streets Chicken described above.  Table out front with one guy grabbing food/taking cards.

I had no problem calling in, they told me 10-15 minutes, and they weren't kidding.  Order was ready when I got there, and was a tad cold when I got home.  Nothing 1-2 minutes in the oven on broil couldn't fix.

Happy to report that Bandito's in Snider Plaza has it figured out.  Called in order, answered on the first ring, took my card over the phone, had everything available from their regular menu that we normally get, including margaritas (strong and already mixed), said it would be ready in 10-15 minutes and asked what my car looked like, headed that way, tons of open parking spots, parked, cute SMU girl walks order out with mask and gloves on, popped hatch, she places it in, close hatch, done.  Flawless execution top to bottom.

yeah, I wish some other places could get the "no one wants to hand out their credit card or sign a piece of paper right now" down.  I ordered Mico's last week and their website is pretty good for the pick up orders.  You can pay and tip on the web site, but the guys still brought out a CC slip and wanted a signature.  Then they brought the wrong order and set it in my car.  Then brought the right order but left out the fucking salsa (which is par for the course no Covid)

Picked up Al B's (Oaklawn) on Tuesday and the food was great.  But wish they would take care of tip and stuff over the phone and not have to sign anything.

48 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Picked up Al B's (Oaklawn) on Tuesday and the food was great.  But wish they would take care of tip and stuff over the phone and not have to sign anything.

Damn really?  That was my next stop on the ‘tour de support local restaurants’.  Looks like I’m gonna have to go with Drake’s again.  No paperwork there

46 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Damn really?  That was my next stop on the ‘tour de support local restaurants’.  Looks like I’m gonna have to go with Drake’s again.  No paperwork there

I did not really press it and maybe another phone person could have done it.  who knows, but yeah, I like Al's and wanted to do them a solid. 

Supported a local place in Casa Linda that's helped our school out before, Maya's Mediterranean. Has incredible hummus. You can order online, set your time, put in your payment info, tip, etc. Have to go inside to pick it up but that's not that big a deal to me as no one else was there. Spoke briefly with the owner as he was grabbing my order. He remembered me from the school give back I set up with him. Said he's only down 20% right now which is fantastic. He thought he would be down 50% by now. He's been getting a lot of a big catering orders for some of the local hospitals. I think catering was already propping him up to begin with. But good to hear that at least one place isn't struggling mightily right now. 

We've been trying to stretch our dollar a bit more recently and are going with locals who give you enough food that you can stretch it to 2 meals. We got enough pitas and hummus for dinner, plus a whole plate of chicken shawarma as the younger of my two kids didn't eat the plate I got her. Did the same with Tony's Pizza which was a place we took the kids to all the time. 

Edited by mdmost

8 hours ago, mdmost said:

Supported a local place in Casa Linda that's helped our school out before, Maya's Mediterranean. Has incredible hummus. You can order online, set your time, put in your payment info, tip, etc. Have to go inside to pick it up but that's not that big a deal to me as no one else was there. Spoke briefly with the owner as he was grabbing my order. He remembered me from the school give back I set up with him. Said he's only down 20% right now which is fantastic. He thought he would be down 50% by now. He's been getting a lot of a big catering orders for some of the local hospitals. I think catering was already propping him up to begin with. But good to hear that at least one place isn't struggling mightily right now. 

We've been trying to stretch our dollar a bit more recently and are going with locals who give you enough food that you can stretch it to 2 meals. We got enough pitas and hummus for dinner, plus a whole plate of chicken shawarma as the younger of my two kids didn't eat the plate I got her. Did the same with Tony's Pizza which was a place we took the kids to all the time. 

Have heard that place is great.

Did Perry's pork chop Friday yesterday.  You can still get the Friday lunch special until 5 so picked it up late afternoon and reheated (was still solid).  They also still do half price (limited) apps (from 3 to 7) and 50% off Perry's reserve wines.  

So all in grabbed 3 pork chops (extra for lunch today), 2 jumbo shrimp apps, pork bites app, 2 sides asparagus, 2 sides creamed spinach, kids meal, 2 bottles of Pinot (solid for $28) all for under $200.   Really a great deal overall.  Also, same setup where you pay online and just pull into valet area and they bring to your car or trunk.  No paper exchanged.  Super easy.   

May do this again although note I think they are moving into new location across from Klyde Warren soon (I think over the course of next week).

Has anyone ordered from Del Friscos yet?   Saw they are selling cuts  of their high end steaks (I.e., dry aged tomahawk, wagyu tomahawks).  Was considering grabbing one of those and trying to cook at home next weekend.

Edited by Skipper

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Has anyone ordered from Del Friscos yet?   Saw they are selling cuts  of their high end steaks (I.e., dry aged tomahawk, wagyu tomahawks).  Was considering grabbing one of those and trying to cook at home next weekend.

Wait you mean like they’re selling raw meat?  Whoa that could be cool.  Do they deliver?

On a similar note, saw Alto has some damn fine looking cuts of raw meats for delivery...

https://market.ridealto.com

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Wait you mean like they’re selling raw meat?  Whoa that could be cool.  Do they deliver?

yep, raw meat.  i don't think there is a delivery option.  they have a "Market" where you can buy all kinds of raw meat.  and they have a Steak Kit where you buy two steaks and they give you ingredients and instructions so you can make steaks at home.  i saw it when i was looking at Easter options.  i may do this one night.  

https://delfriscos.com/steakhouse/dallas/menus/grocery/

https://delfriscos.com/steakhouse/dallas/menus/meal-kit/

Edited by Jive Turkey

TMZ:

Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott are partying like it's NOT 2020 in the middle of a pandemic -- hanging together for a celebration that appears to violate the Texas "safer-at-home" order.

The turn up went down Friday night at the Dallas Cowboys QB's crib in Prosper, TX, and his star running back was there as a guest. We're told it was a birthday party for one of Dak's friends, and at the height of the bash, there were about 30 guests.

At one point, Zeke was seen posting up near a buffet catered by Nick and Sam's Steakhouse in Dallas. Normally, ya couldn't knock him for that ... the grub looked delicious.

TMZ:

Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott are partying like it's NOT 2020 in the middle of a pandemic -- hanging together for a celebration that appears to violate the Texas "safer-at-home" order.

The turn up went down Friday night at the Dallas Cowboys QB's crib in Prosper, TX, and his star running back was there as a guest. We're told it was a birthday party for one of Dak's friends, and at the height of the bash, there were about 30 guests.

At one point, Zeke was seen posting up near a buffet catered by Nick and Sam's Steakhouse in Dallas. Normally, ya couldn't knock him for that ... the grub looked delicious.

Prosper? He’s definitely on a rookie contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/11/2020 at 3:12 PM, Jive Turkey said:

yep, raw meat.  i don't think there is a delivery option.  they have a "Market" where you can buy all kinds of raw meat.  and they have a Steak Kit where you buy two steaks and they give you ingredients and instructions so you can make steaks at home.  i saw it when i was looking at Easter options.  i may do this one night.  

https://delfriscos.com/steakhouse/dallas/menus/grocery/

https://delfriscos.com/steakhouse/dallas/menus/meal-kit/

Looks like Al Biernat's has jumped on this bandwagon...

Spoiler

MEAT MARKET
All Meat Orders Come with Chef’s Special Marinade and Instructions

BEEF
FILET MIGNON, USDA TOP CHOICE 6oz 21.00
FILET MIGNON, USDA TOP CHOICE 8oz 28.00
FILET MIGNON, USDA TOP CHOICE 12oz 42.00
BONE-IN FILET, USDA PRIME 16oz 57.00
NEW YORK STRIP, USDA PRIME 16oz 48.00
TOMAHAWK RIBEYE, USDA PRIME 28oz. 125.00
PORTERHOUSE, USDAY PRIME 30oz. 75.00
TEXAS WAGYU ANGUS FILET 8oz 70.00
TEXAS WAGYU ANGUS NY STRIP 16oz 70.00
COWBOY RIBEYE, USDA PRIME 22oz 63.00
SPINALIS CUT 10oz 55.00

LOCAL YOCAL, MCKINNEY TEXAS
HAMBURGER PATTIES, WAGYU 1/2 lb. 5.75
DRY AGED COWBOY CUT RIBEYE 22oz 59.00
DRY AGED K.C. STRIP STEAK 16oz 59.00

OTHER MEATS
NORTH DAKOTA BUFFALO 10oz 52.00
VEAL CHOP 16oz 42.00
BERKSHIRE PORK CHOP (priced per chop) 16.00
COLORADO LAMB CHOP (priced per chop) 20.00
CHICKEN BREAST 10oz 4.50

SEAFOOD
ATLANTIC SALMON 8oz 8.50
ATLANTIC SALMON 12oz 14.75
CHILEAN SEA BASS 8oz 16.00
ALASKAN HALIBUT 8oz 16.00
AHI TUNA 8oz 12.00
JUMBO PRAWNS U-10 7.00 EA
LOBSTER TAIL (frozen) 6oz 24.00 EA
LOBSTER TAIL (frozen) 12oz 48.00 EA

SAUCES 8.75 EA
STEAK MARINADE 8o
GREEN PEPPERCORN SAUCE 8oz
PORT WINE FOIE GRAS SAUCE 8oz
WHITE WINE BUTTER SAUCE 8oz
COGNAC BLACK PEPPERCORN SAUCE 8oz

https://albiernats.com/Assets/CURBSIDE DELIVERY_OAKLAWN_3-30.pdf

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Pretty sure they all are.  Had both from Banditos and Mi Cocina on consecutive visits.

My friend was looking for something of the dine-in variety, but it looks like the governor might be getting that taken care of- said restaurants could start re-opening as soon as next week (with reduced/limited capacity).

7 minutes ago, threesheets said:

My friend was looking for something of the dine-in variety, but it looks like the governor might be getting that taken care of- said restaurants could start re-opening as soon as next week (with reduced/limited capacity).

What?  When did he say that?  I just watched his press conference and I don’t think he said that.

And fuck your friend (or you or whoever’s really asking) for wanting to find that right now.  But hey, rules just don’t apply to some people huh?

5 hours ago, threesheets said:

Anyone heard of any underground/speakeasy restaurants in Dallas serving enchiladas and margaritas?  Asking for a friend.

I got a text the other day from un unknown number.  My Spanish is a little rusty, but I believe the person was trying to sell me some food cooked by her father.  I can forward it to you.

Al Biernat’s to-go last night.  It was great and all but kind of a harsh reminder that the actual quality of the food is just one small part of the overall experience at that price-point.  Worth it for a big fun full-service night surrounded by lots of people and energy.  Just the food reheated at home...not so much.  Glad to be able to support them though.  Said total sales down 80% 😳

Al Biernat’s to-go last night. Said total sales down 80%

Yikes. Makes sense but painful. I see Nick & Sam’s, Perry’s, Del Frisco’s etc also trying but imagine their numbers are similar. Walked by the new Perry’s location and it’s just about ready to go, whenever they decide to flip the switch. Place looks nice.

18 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Yikes. Makes sense but painful. I see Nick & Sam’s, Perry’s, Del Frisco’s etc also trying but imagine their numbers are similar.

Yeah I honestly can’t see how even people with money can justify those prices for just takeout.  Clearly, you’re paying a huge premium for an elevated overall experience, which you don’t get with takeout.  Plenty of other places with food as good for a lot less money.

Picked up from E-Bar last night.  Jorge's tacos were on point, and the to-go margaritas were great as well.

They have the delivery set up pretty well too.  Stop at tent behind restaurant to give your name (after you've ordered about 45 minutes earlier), they assign you a parking space and then bring out your food.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Al Biernat’s to-go last night.  It was great and all but kind of a harsh reminder that the actual quality of the food is just one small part of the overall experience at that price-point.  Worth it for a big fun full-service night surrounded by lots of people and energy.  Just the food reheated at home...not so much.  Glad to be able to support them though.  Said total sales down 80% 😳

Talking to Marshall who owns Sammy's BBQ and he said he's down 80% too -- guess that's about how it is across the board.

Picked up Il Bracco last night in Preston Center. Very good. 

Anyone else live Lake Highlands? They’ve recently opened some new and needed cool seeming places that I hope make it through this like Lochwoods and Vector Brewing. I can’t imagine the new sports bar Yogis by the drafthouse is doing anything. 

To date, we have been sticking to our neighborhood restaurants in North Oak Cliff / Bishop Arts (Taco y Vino, Nora, Zen Sushi, Cibo di Vino, Emporium, Sketches of Spain, Enos...still haven't tried Stock and Barrel, but it's on the list).  But, we had some friends do an anniversary dinner from Petra and the Beast.  Holy shit.  It looked awesome.  You can get the food and do a picnic on their lawn to eat it hot or just take it all home.  I think we may cross the river for this.  You can't see that Sunday "Beast Menu" now because they publish it on Fridays for Sunday only pickup.  I saw it over the weekend and looked killer.  Petra...you are on the list!

Petra And The Beast

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

^^^ that is my cousins spot so I always love seeing the support and the her food is amazing. We spoke a little this weekend and she said she has luckily been able to stay busy during this time. 

Was trying to get in there before all this blew up.  I need to make a note to check the website on Friday.

On 4/19/2020 at 9:47 PM, Stunns38 said:

ee7730b2e2aee623123d3feb3d9ff751.jpg

This seems odd to me.  I would have thought they'd hardly miss a beat during all of this.  They were already using 3rd parties for all of their delivery.  And should have had a pretty good hold on the takeout/delivery market since Chinese food was already what most Americans associate with that.  I haven't eaten in their dining room in years...always delivery or takeout.  I assumed most other people did the same.

Now that every restaurant in town is doing delivery/takeout, people aren't doing as much Chinese?  Or the negative stigma associated with Cornavirus and China has people avoiding Chinese?

Now that I think about it, we've only done Chinese once since this whole thing started and it wasn't Royal China.  Still, seems the #1 Chinese restaurant in town would be fine.  Bummer.

On 4/20/2020 at 9:28 AM, DFWTexEx said:

But, we had some friends do an anniversary dinner from Petra and the Beast.  Holy shit.  It looked awesome.  You can get the food and do a picnic on their lawn to eat it hot or just take it all home.  I think we may cross the river for this.  You can't see that Sunday "Beast Menu" now because they publish it on Fridays for Sunday only pickup.  I saw it over the weekend and looked killer.  Petra...you are on the list!

Petra And The Beast

Really want to try this some night, but damn that menu is intimidating.  I don't know what about 75% of that stuff even is.  Then you have to text in your order?  So you don't get to talk to anyone?  I think I'll have way too many questions for that.

Mesero takeout last night.  Seemed to have it pretty well figured out.  Called it in, ready in 10-15 minutes, pulled into a to-go spot, yelled my name through a small crack in the window about 20 feet away from the person who was wearing gloves and mask, popped the hatch and they put it in the back.  Done.  Appeared to be full menu, including full bar menu (or close to it).  Margaritas were large and strong.

Pogo liquor store around the corner looked like it was call in to-go orders only, which seems odd.  Employees only allowed inside.

This seems odd to me.  I would have thought they'd hardly miss a beat during all of this.  They were already using 3rd parties for all of their delivery.  And should have had a pretty good hold on the takeout/delivery market since Chinese food was already what most Americans associate with that.  I haven't eaten in their dining room in years...always delivery or takeout.  I assumed most other people did the same.
Now that every restaurant in town is doing delivery/takeout, people aren't doing as much Chinese?  Or the negative stigma associated with Cornavirus and China has people avoiding Chinese?
Now that I think about it, we've only done Chinese once since this whole thing started and it wasn't Royal China.  Still, seems the #1 Chinese restaurant in town would be fine.  Bummer.

I’m baffled as well, good quality food but maybe the prices were a turnoff? Or maybe people like shit quality Chinese..Maybe they’re using this as an excuse to take time off. It is a bummer.

plenty of good stuff here.

il Bracco is the bomb.  those meatballs are ridiculous.

E Bar is on the short list of places we need to order from.  that carne guisada is awesome.

Vector is on the list, too.  want to support them and try the beer/pizza.

we had Jia Modern Chinese the other night (Preston/NW Hwy).  really liked it.  

i'm waiting on an order of BBQ from Snow's.  even frozen, hope it lives up to the hype.  tried to order from Cattleack but i didn't get the confirmation email.

Petra was bad ass in person.  not sure i'd do it take out.

plenty of good stuff here.
il Bracco is the bomb.  those meatballs are ridiculous.
E Bar is on the short list of places we need to order from.  that carne guisada is awesome.

Decided to do il Bracco for my birthday tonight. GF and I are sharing meatballs, ceaser salad, cacio e pepe, and the pesto salmon. Not bad for 33 and quarantined I guess

E Bar carne guisada is exactly like my grandma's. I love that stuff so damn much

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Decided to do il Bracco for my birthday tonight. GF and I are sharing meatballs, ceaser salad, cacio e pepe, and the pesto salmon. Not bad for 33 and quarantined I guess

E Bar carne guisada is exactly like my grandma's. I love that stuff so damn much

Happy birthday man.  I owe you a drink once we can get back together again.

• Like 1