Corona 2020/Dallas restaurants thread

C-Man

Made a quick drive over to The Backyard parking lot.  Was pretty perfect because they circled around us (Baylor).  Very cool.

Some workers at The Backyard were watching from their roofdeck patio.  It looked glorious in the awesome weather, but I had to get back home to work (and that whole Rona thing).  Hopefully soon...

We walked up the illegal pedestrian bridge across the Trinity, along I30.  We intended to just go up the ramp a bit to get near the barriers, but the blockade appeared to be down so we got all the way up (we chose not to go onto the part of the bridge that could collapse at any moment).  It was a perfect view on a beautiful day.  Our dogs had a good adventure.  No one got closer than 20 feet to us.   A cool distraction.  Well done!

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

We only saw a sliver of them as they flew over 75 instead of White Rock Lake which was on the original flight path. Still cool. 

That was our original destination, but we detoured to the Fair Park area instead.  

It was truly awesome.  Makes those of us that have never seen combat wonder what it's like when those things are dropping bombs.

did not know about the flight plan change.  raycharles.gif from our street in lakewood.

Same here. Kind of odd that they would just shoot down 75 if the idea was for hospital workers to get to see them. Pretty much eliminated Doctors Hospital (or whatever it’s called now) at the lake. But it would have covered Park Central, maybe Presbyterian, and probably Baylor.

On 5/5/2020 at 9:31 PM, Zepol87 said:

Holy shit man that is nuts. I am glad I skipped lunch and was starving

Yeah ended up being exactly 2.5 hours until I got my food.  Had a pickup slot of 7:50...food in trunk at 10:20.  Apparently their computer system let multiple take multiple time slots at once.  And there was no way to cancel your order.

On 5/6/2020 at 12:51 AM, threesheets said:

Shocking that you stuck it out ^.  Let me guess- you ordered something super gay like fajitas amirite?  And your order had like 15 different special instructions, without question.

Fajita salad, sir.  Sub light dressing on the side.  Skinny margarita.  Light ice.

• Like 1

2.5 hour wait for takeout food is like whoa. Nice computer malfunction. Reminds me of when I did Cap Grille for NYE long time ago and their computer double booked reservations and we had to wait to sit for an hour after reservation time. Not as bad as your experience but the GM called and left a message afterwards to apologize and mailed me $100 gift card which I thought was a really good save on their part.

Was in a field at 121 and Independence. I was actually driving back to work and saw about 10 cop vehicles parked in the field facing north and though. You know I bet they know the exact flight plan. Pulled in and the flew directly over me. It was awesome

20 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

2.5 hour wait for takeout food is like whoa. Nice computer malfunction. Reminds me of when I did Cap Grille for NYE long time ago and their computer double booked reservations and we had to wait to sit for an hour after reservation time. Not as bad as your experience but the GM called and left a message afterwards to apologize and mailed me $100 gift card which I thought was a really good save on their part.

Yeah, I would normally never wait that long for much of anything that I can think of...unless it was something critical.  It just kept being one of those things that I thought, okay it has to be pretty soon.  And I'd ask someone and it started as "yeah we're running about 30 minutes late".  Then I'd tell myself "oh well you've been here this long, might as well ride it out" then I'd ask again and it was "more like an hour behind".  Then I'd tell myself "oh well what the hell better do you have to do" and "where else you gonna go...probably have a big wait there too".  Kind of a vicious cycle type thing.  Plus I really wanted some margaritas.

And the really shitty part was there was no way to cancel your order.  They would not answer their phone and the two times I asked a worker about it, they'd just say "okay I'll send someone out" and nobody would ever come out.  My total was like $150 so I would have had to walk that.  Shit show.

Edited by Landomatic

making another pickup run to Pecan Lodge today and will get take out from Uchi for mother's day.  The rib wanted some sushi so we'll see how that goes.  Their procedure is to call in and make a 'reservation' for a pick up time.  Then 30 minutes before that they are supposed to call you to take your order and arrange payment.  Then you go and pick it up.

Is Mico set up now to give you actual mixed drinks to take home?  and not the virgin frozen marg with a bottle of Patron they were doing earlier (at least at the lakewood location).  I would kill for frozen double barrel right now.

2 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Is Mico set up now to give you actual mixed drinks to take home?  and not the virgin frozen marg with a bottle of Patron they were doing earlier (at least at the lakewood location).  I would kill for frozen double barrel right now.

On Tuesday, it was still the kit.  Wasn't Patron though.  Some bottle of cheap looking shit I've never heard of.  Banditos in Snider Plaza has actual mixed drinks last I checked.  Tried to get them on Tuesday but they wouldn't even answer their phone to place an order.  When I got it a few weeks ago, they answered on the first try and order was ready in about 15 mins.

Just now, Landomatic said:

On Tuesday, it was still the kit.  Wasn't Patron though.  Some bottle of cheap looking shit I've never heard of.  Banditos in Snider Plaza has actual mixed drinks last I checked.  Tried to get them on Tuesday but they wouldn't even answer their phone to place an order.  When I got it a few weeks ago, they answered on the first try and order was ready in about 15 mins.

I am thinking about looking through those commercial kitchen auction sites after the dust settles and seeing if one of those frozen marg machines can be had for a decent price.  I may develop the'beetus and liver damage, but hey... you want the ultimate...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

making another pickup run to Pecan Lodge today and will get take out from Uchi for mother's day.  The rib wanted some sushi so we'll see how that goes.  Their procedure is to call in and make a 'reservation' for a pick up time.  Then 30 minutes before that they are supposed to call you to take your order and arrange payment.  Then you go and pick it up.

If you want a margarita just go to E-Bar. The food is better anyway.

I have done a couple of pickups at the Lakewood Mico but only so I could hand off some cash to Gerardo and a couple of other bartenders.

On 5/8/2020 at 9:44 AM, DDD Dad said:

If you want a margarita just go to E-Bar. The food is better anyway.

I have done a couple of pickups at the Lakewood Mico but only so I could hand off some cash to Gerardo and a couple of other bartenders.

Rafa's and Mesero and Mi Camino doing the full take-home margarita already mixed. I've been getting frozen ones anyways since I can make good on-the-rocks at the house without too much fuss. Frozen is just too fucking messy at the house and not worth the effort IMO.

Edited by C-Man

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Frozen is just too fucking messy at the house and not worth the effort IMO.

This.  I tried making frozen margaritas last weekend and it was a huge PITA.  And didn't come out as good.

Edited by DDD Dad

Nova opened unexpectedly last night with an announcement on Facebook.  Takeout only.  The owners are hustling the orders to the cars.   Limited, menu but the highlights are there, including my favorite pizza in Dallas.  We jumped on it and got a hummus and Jimmy's 4 meat pie.  So good. A taste of pandemic life.

Lucia opened too with fairly elaborate meals for 4 (or 2 meals for 2) of pork or pasta to take home and finish.  I'd love to try it, but we don't need the meal for 4 or leftovers.  Maybe, we'll stop and get just the salumi and a bottle of wine.  Actually, that sounds perfect.

Edited by DFWTexEx

1 hour ago, DFWTexEx said:

Nova opened unexpectedly last night with an announcement on Facebook.  Takeout only.  The owners are hustling the orders to the cars.   Limited, menu but the highlights are there, including my favorite pizza in Dallas.  We jumped on it and got a hummus and Jimmy's 4 meat pie.  So good. A taste of pandemic life.

Lucia opened too with fairly elaborate meals for 4 (or 2 meals for 2) of pork or pasta to take home and finish.  I'd love to try it, but we don't need the meal for 4 or leftovers.  Maybe, we'll stop and get just the salumi and a bottle of wine.  Actually, that sounds perfect.

We got the same notice. I thought they'd been doing takeout this whole time. We mainly go for Sunday brunch and have only eaten dinner a few times. Love that place so hard!

Got more crowlers and cans from Lakewood Growler yesterday. They've increased their hours even though they still aren't letting people inside. The other spots around them like Dream Cafe and Taco Joint had pretty full patios, with tables spaced far apart. Picked up some lasagna from Goodfriend for Mother's Day. Easy process with everything done online.

I have to say, I'm in no rush to go back to sitting inside a restaurant. I get the allure of the food being fresher, drink refills, chip refills, etc. But I really have very little desire to sit down at a place. I'm not sure when that desire will return. Maybe when it's balls hot outside and eating on our patio isn't as great a concept. Currently, I'm good with how things are and willing to let other be the Covid canaries in the coalmine. 

47 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Got more crowlers and cans from Lakewood Growler yesterday. They've increased their hours even though they still aren't letting people inside. The other spots around them like Dream Cafe and Taco Joint had pretty full patios, with tables spaced far apart. Picked up some lasagna from Goodfriend for Mother's Day. Easy process with everything done online.

I have to say, I'm in no rush to go back to sitting inside a restaurant. I get the allure of the food being fresher, drink refills, chip refills, etc. But I really have very little desire to sit down at a place. I'm not sure when that desire will return. Maybe when it's balls hot outside and eating on our patio isn't as great a concept. Currently, I'm good with how things are and willing to let other be the Covid canaries in the coalmine. 

Agree.  Have a reservation for our anniversary late this month.  Will wait to see whether we actually go.  

On 5/10/2020 at 2:17 PM, mdmost said:

We are in no hurry.  But we have great outdoor space and space for neighbors to talk to us while we are on the porch, so we're lucky.  If I were in an apartment building, I may feel differently and I may feel differently when the weather isn't as beautiful as it has been.  For, now we are good.

On 5/10/2020 at 3:06 PM, AustinMT said:

Agree.  Have a reservation for our anniversary late this month.  Will wait to see whether we actually go.  

My how things have changed.  From telling me I had a tinfoil hat and urging others to go on your trips, you’ll be fine.  Now you don’t even know if you’ll go to dinner late this month huh?

And you know, it might not have even been that bad if you’d just had a tiny shred of humility about it.  But you didn’t.  So it was.

8 hours ago, Landomatic said:

My how things have changed.  From telling me I had a tinfoil hat and urging others to go on your trips, you’ll be fine.  Now you don’t even know if you’ll go to dinner late this month huh?

And you know, it might not have even been that bad if you’d just had a tiny shred of humility about it.  But you didn’t.  So it was.

I’e tried debating with you before.  It’s like debating with my daughter when she was thirteen.  Difference is it was worth the effort to engage with her.

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

I’e tried debating with you before.  It’s like debating with my daughter when she was thirteen.  Difference is it was worth the effort to engage with her.

Debating?  There's nothing "debatable" about what I said.

Tinfoil hat...

On 3/14/2020 at 1:37 AM, AustinMT said:

Get over yourself and put on your tinfoil hat.  By the way, what is “non-essentially traveling?”   Seal yourself in your house with duct tape and leave us alone, you “piece of shit.”

Urging people to go on trips...

On 3/12/2020 at 9:54 PM, AustinMT said:

Not going to live in a bubble for domestic travel.

Park City is beautiful. Go enjoy it

And let's not forget one of your most shining moments, with regard to travel restrictions...

On 3/11/2020 at 8:40 PM, AustinMT said:

Saying this as a life-long Republican.  Trump is a f****** idiot who is just trying to make press.  This makes no medical sense — it’s already here.

Now you don't even know if you'll be going out to dinner later this month.  Perhaps I missed it, but I've yet to see you show any semblance of eating crow, admitting you were wrong, humility, etc.

I have a feeling you're incapable of such things.  You seem like the type of guy who always thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and when proven wrong, your defense is to throw your sucker in the dirt and go with, "I'm not debating this with you any more."

anyway, food talk not going away and all that...

Uchi on mother's day was fantastic.  pulled up and they put the food in the back and I pulled away.  I don't think I had ever eaten at there before to compare, but wife (who had been numerous times) said everything was as expected and turned out great.  I think they are only open for take out still.

18 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

anyway, food talk not going away and all that...

Uchi on mother's day was fantastic.  pulled up and they put the food in the back and I pulled away.  I don't think I had ever eaten at there before to compare, but wife (who had been numerous times) said everything was as expected and turned out great.  I think they are only open for take out still.

Do they have dinks to go?  For some reason, I think they didn’t even have a full bar to begin with.  Or maybe just upstairs did?

Do they have dinks to go?  For some reason, I think they didn’t even have a full bar to begin with.  Or maybe just upstairs did?

Both are still takeout only. Can takeout beer/wine/saki. My memory isn’t great but thought at some point I had a Japanese whisky downstairs at the bar.

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

Right. You don't get points now for being forced to do the right thing.

Exactly.  And not just fuck them.  I walked by one of their restaurants on Wednesday and the patio was full.  Fuck all the people still supporting them too.

27 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m really going to miss R+D.

TBH...I’ve always thought all of their concepts were very overrated.  Don’t get me wrong, it didn’t stop me from frequenting one a lot (convenient location).  But I usually wondered what all the fuss was about every time I went to any of them.

Although the food was decent, the menus are really really limited.  And they always seem to have some sort of not-customer-friendly policy.  No reservations, max limit on drinks, inconsistent no hats policy, no substitutions, etc.  They always felt like they love to say “no”...a lot.

fuck em

36 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

TBH...I’ve always thought all of their concepts were very overrated.  Don’t get me wrong, it didn’t stop me from frequenting one a lot (convenient location).  But I usually wondered what all the fuss was about every time I went to any of them.

Although the food was decent, the menus are really really limited.  And they always seem to have some sort of not-customer-friendly policy.  No reservations, max limit on drinks, inconsistent no hats policy, no substitutions, etc.  They always felt like they love to say “no”...a lot.

fuck em

I liked their food a little more than you, but we absolutely  agree on fuck em.

Lando’s summary is close to how I feel about it as well. Food is always good/reliable but nothing overly special. They always had their own methods and were quite inflexible.

I enjoyed a few of their locations in Florida which have great atmospheres and views. But this whole mask fiasco doesn’t place them in a good light at all IMO.

MIL's 75th birthday is 5/30 and we're going out for dinner that night. I'm not sure it's the best idea in the world but we're apparently doing it. They live in Farmers Branch and have done Chamberlain's and Al Biernat's North to death. Looking for a place we can get into for 5 on 5/30. I tried calling The Charles and they have't opened for dine-in yet. Left a message a Fachini (wife and I ate there with them back in early Jan and loved it). I'm looking for other suggestions -- preferably places you KNOW are open for dine-in.

MIL's 75th birthday is 5/30 and we're going out for dinner that night. I'm not sure it's the best idea in the world but we're apparently doing it. They live in Farmers Branch and have done Chamberlain's and Al Biernat's North to death. Looking for a place we can get into for 5 on 5/30. I tried calling The Charles and they have't opened for dine-in yet. Left a message a Fachini (wife and I ate there with them back in early Jan and loved it). I'm looking for other suggestions -- preferably places you KNOW are open for dine-in.

Papas Brothers Steakhouse is re-opening on Thursday and that’s fairly close to them. The Mercury is open and that’s a nice spot.

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

I know Drake's is back open (not sure that's 75 year old MIL type place).  Manager was busting my balls about not coming in last time I got to-go from them.

If they had a waiter bringing your drinks and taking orders outside then it makes it easier. But their way of doing things where you go inside that tiny bar area to order seems unnecessarily risky. 

Patrons aren’t allowed to sit or order at the bar at this stage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk