Corona 2020/Dallas restaurants thread

C-Man

10 hours ago, bluto said:

Lived in the townhomes behind SFR 10 yrs ago, swear it was karaoke every damn night. Couldn’t just be a cool chill bar to belly up to in my backyard, had to be a damn carry-okie bar.

SMU greek types seem to love their karaoke. What was Chelsea Corner before becoming Chelsea Corner again? Corner Bar? That once-great place (I watched Ohio State beat Miami for the NC there in 2002) turned into a total hell-hole but every Tues or Wed night it was assholes-to-elbows with SMU greeks because of ... karaoke night!

50 minutes ago, C-Man said:

SMU greek types seem to love their karaoke. What was Chelsea Corner before becoming Chelsea Corner again? Corner Bar? That once-great place (I watched Ohio State beat Miami for the NC there in 2002) turned into a total hell-hole but every Tues or Wed night it was assholes-to-elbows with SMU greeks because of ... karaoke night!

Yup.  Corner Bar.  Lived at that place during law school.  Weds was the big karaoke night back then.  

I haven’t been to Chelsea Corner since the 1980’s.

• 1 month later...

Good news on at least one front for a great place that serves really good ice cream

‘Our heads are spinning’: Dallas ice cream shop gets unexpected $50,000 grant on ‘Today’ show

Howdy Homemade is a shop with a mission: It employs adults with special needs.

Howdy Homemade Ice Cream employee Coleman Jones appeared on the 'Today' show on NBC on Oct. 9, 2020. The ice cream shop recently relocated in Dallas to save money on rent.
Howdy Homemade Ice Cream employee Coleman Jones appeared on the 'Today' show on NBC on Oct. 9, 2020. The ice cream shop recently relocated in Dallas to save money on rent.(Cinthia Jaimes)

By Sarah Blaskovich

11:17 AM on Oct 9, 2020

When Dallas ice cream shop asked its fans to “save Howdy Homemade” during the coronavirus pandemic, they did.

A GoFundMe with a goal of $75,000 is now up over $100,000, from fans of the beloved Dallas business that employs adults who have Down syndrome, autism and other intellectual or developmental disabilities.

On Friday morning, that money kept coming in: Howdy Homemade staffer Coleman Jones appeared on the Today show on NBC and was given an unexpected $50,000 from entrepreneur Marcus Lemonis, who stars in the CNBC show The Profit.

“Our heads are spinning," said Tom Landis, owner of Howdy Homemade.

He’s appreciative of the money, in part because the shop was in jeopardy of closing because of low sales due to the pandemic — but also because Landis and his team know that ice cream sales naturally go down when the weather gets cooler.

Landis recently purchased a new food truck and moved the business from a pricey location in University Park to a more affordable one 5 miles north. A supporter named Jaxie Alt volunteered her time to rework Howdy’s books, an effort that led Landis to say in early September, “Howdy probably wouldn’t have made it without Jaxie.”

Landis told Hoda Kotb and Jenna Bush Hager on the Today show that Texas is home to more than 3 million adults with special needs, and it’s his mission to give some of them jobs.

“They want a chance to show everyone that they’ve got a special talent. That’s what Howdy Homemade is. And that’s what Coleman is," Landis says on the show.

After announcing the $50,000 grant, Lemonis complimented the company’s mission and told Landis he’s going to help Howdy Homemade expand its business. He plans to visit Dallas soon, he told Jones and Landis

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jimbaround said:

Anyone have info on Neighborhood Services? My wife wants to go next week when we are in Dallas.

What do you want to know?  They’re open.  They don’t have a patio.  They’re not as great as they used to be...or at least they weren’t last we went, which was probably over a year ago.  There are much better options for that type of night I would think.  That’s about it

8 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

Thanks for the updates. Perhaps we’ll pivot and change venues. We’re dumping the kids with my MIL and going somewhere. Any places that have good patio dining (weather permitting)? We are in the Royal/Midway area but wi travel.

You may need to narrow a little as to what all you’re looking for...if you’re willing to go a ways, there are kind of a ton of options.  I don’t know much North of where you’ll be, but off the top of my head, just South of you is...

Fernandos - pretty solid Tex-Mex with patio

Suze - haven’t been in a while but used to be really great and has a patio.  Would be more along the Neighborhood Services level I think

You may need to narrow a little as to what all you’re looking for...if you’re willing to go a ways, there are kind of a ton of options.  I don’t know much North of where you’ll be, but off the top of my head, just South of you is...
Suze - haven’t been in a while but used to be really great and has a patio.  Would be more along the Neighborhood Services level I think

We frequent Fernandos when we are in town so we were just looking for something different than that to try. I was just saying we don’t need to be right near the house. We would drive to downtown if need be.

I’ll look into Suze, thanks.

17 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

We frequent Fernandos when we are in town so we were just looking for something different than that to try. I was just saying we don’t need to be right near the house. We would drive to downtown if need be.

Suze is in the same parking lot as Fernando's.  And don't go downtown.

Fernando’s is a MiCocina knockoff. I wouldn’t bother. I’d rather hit up Rafa’s. Mesero has a nice makeshift patio and the Mexican food is a little higher end. Suze is really good and great patio. Wife and I ate dinner there last Saturday night and it was low stress. Personally, I’d call Beverly (on Fitzhugh) and see if you can get on their patio.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

Fernando’s is a MiCocina knockoff. I wouldn’t bother. I’d rather hit up Rafa’s. Mesero has a nice makeshift patio and the Mexican food is a little higher end. Suze is really good and great patio. Wife and I ate dinner there last Saturday night and it was low stress. Personally, I’d call Beverly (on Fitzhugh) and see if you can get on their patio.

Rafa’s?  Dude.  Must be your park cities nostalgia showing again.  Been there twice in my life (2 too many) and both times were a shit show.  That’s like telling someone from out of town to hit Dunstons for a good steakhouse

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Rafa’s?  Dude.  Must be your park cities nostalgia showing again.  Been there twice in my life (2 too many) and both times were a shit show.  That’s like telling someone from out of town to hit Dunstons for a good steakhouse

Rafa's owns Fernando's when it comes down to the actual food. It's kind of nasty inside but the food Is better -- and cheaper. I mean I'll eat MiCocina or Fernando's but when a place is more noted for the Mambo Taxi than the food, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement! Avila's or Tipico's are even better IMO.

Carbone pushed back design district area opening date from December 2020 to April 2021.

Also, update on Eataly:

While it’s still hiring, Eataly, the Italian restaurant and grocery store under the same roof, said Tuesday that it’s confident enough to set an opening date at NorthPark Center.

Eataly will be decked out for an Italian Christmas when it opens on December 9, and that includes 40 kinds of panettone sweet bread, said Raffaele Piarulli, executive vice president for Eataly in North America.

The Dallas store, the only Eataly opening this year, will have three restaurants and aisles of groceries and fresh and imported food to take home. The store is making a big wine statement, with more than 1,100 bottles. “It’s going to feel like wine is everywhere,” Piarulli said.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/retail/2020/11/17/eataly-has-set-its-northpark-center-opening-date/

On 11/20/2020 at 12:06 PM, Jimbaround said:

This doesn't help you now but Muchacho in Preston Center is fantastic. It's in the old Taco Diner space.

• 2 weeks later...

Opens today:

Harwood Arms, the latest spot by Harwood Hospitality Group, is set to open with inspiration from the British Isles.

Tucked away in that new Uptown-adjacent neighborhood Harwood District (which is really Little Mexico), this restaurant is set to have a “regionally inspired menu of pub fare paired with clever cocktails and a broad whiskey list,” according to a news release.

The 4,000-square-foot pub is planned to have socially distanced seating indoors with partitioned booths and expanded outdoor seating.

Expect six TVs and dart boards alongside a menu with a thematic focus on the British Isles. Both Irish and English dishes will be available, including beer and cheddar soup, potato skins, fish and chips and a Reuben sandwich.

Flavorful, scratch-made dishes are our heart and soul. We are thinking through every dish and sourcing the highest quality ingredients,” executive chef Ryan York said in the release. “We are hand-cutting our chips, sourcing local A Bar N Ranch wagyu beef, and folding in various regional influences. We definitely kicked up the flavor of traditional pub fare while adding dishes that guests may not typically see at a pub.”

On the drink side will be more than 50 beers and ciders, a broad list of scotch, more than 40 whiskeys and a small menu of craft cocktails.

A brunch menu also lists a Guinness-braised short rib Benedict and wagyu corned beef hash.

We’re told the restaurant will not open with takeout available, but there are plans to expand to takeout in 2021.

Harwood Arms, 2850 N. Harwood St., No. 100 (Harwood District). 214-273-5151. Set to open Monday, Dec. 7, 4 p.m. to 2 a.m. Monday through Friday and 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/british-irish-pub-harwood-arms-to-open-uptown-11966260

Tried the new front burner spot Son of Butcher on lower Greenville, took over the char bar spot, started as a stall at legacy food hall. Had Buffalo chicken and a burnt ends sliders plus reg fries. aggressively ‘medoker’, they did a good job with the makeover and turning the front area into a good porch though.

• 1 month later...

Mi Cocina, the Tex-Mex restaurant known for its brisket tacos and frozen Mambo Taxi cocktails, won the bid to be the flagship restaurant at Klyde Warren Park in Dallas.

Company executives will pump at least $2 million into a renovation of the glassed-in restaurant that currently sits vacant, says Edgar Guevara, president and CEO of M Crowd restaurant group, which operates Mi Cocina.

Mi Cocina on the Park is expected to open this fall.

The park’s board of directors had been hunting for a new tenant since Savor closed in August 2020. The restaurant is on park grounds, and the park benefits from the success of the restaurant. About 8% of Mi Cocina’s sales will go into Klyde Warren, which is meaningful money for the privately funded park, says Kit Sawers, the park’s president.

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaurant-news/2021/01/19/klyde-warren-parks-new-high-profile-restaurant-mi-cocina/

3 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Mi Cocina, the Tex-Mex restaurant known for its brisket tacos and frozen Mambo Taxi cocktails, won the bid to be the flagship restaurant at Klyde Warren Park in Dallas.

Company executives will pump at least $2 million into a renovation of the glassed-in restaurant that currently sits vacant, says Edgar Guevara, president and CEO of M Crowd restaurant group, which operates Mi Cocina.

Mi Cocina on the Park is expected to open this fall.

The park’s board of directors had been hunting for a new tenant since Savor closed in August 2020. The restaurant is on park grounds, and the park benefits from the success of the restaurant. About 8% of Mi Cocina’s sales will go into Klyde Warren, which is meaningful money for the privately funded park, says Kit Sawers, the park’s president.

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaurant-news/2021/01/19/klyde-warren-parks-new-high-profile-restaurant-mi-cocina/

Holy shit!  $2M renovation?  That’s a beautiful space.  How the hell could they possibly spend that much?

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Holy shit!  $2M renovation?  That’s a beautiful space.  How the hell could they possibly spend that much?

Article says they are moving the bar (which as I recall takes a chunk out of the middle) to the back, which I assume will create more seating.  I’m guessing they will end redo the kitchen (gotta have room to make the Sunset sauce ;)).  Apart from that you got me

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

I'm no fan of MiCocina -- I mean it's OK, I guess -- but Mambos in Klyde Warren once the pandemic is over sounds pretty fucking good to me!

I'm a fan of MiCo but in the exact opposite of a "night out".  We live close to the Lake Highlands location so it's a good spot when we want to go out for food and drinks with zero effort.  I was hoping something that isn't an ordinary Friday restaurant would go in there so I'm not too pumped about it.  That being said, I bet it does well with tourists + uptown crowd.  My office is pretty close so I could see it being a good happy hour spot as well (if we ever get back to normal times).

I'm a fan of MiCo but in the exact opposite of a "night out".  We live close to the Lake Highlands location so it's a good spot when we want to go out for food and drinks with zero effort.  I was hoping something that isn't an ordinary Friday restaurant would go in there so I'm not too pumped about it.  That being said, I bet it does well with tourists + uptown crowd.  My office is pretty close so I could see it being a good happy hour spot as well (if we ever get back to normal times).

I’m solely thinking of happy hour. I went to Savor a time or two for lunch, never for anything else. When my wife and I go out (in normal times), it’s not usually to downtown/Uptown. We’ll do Design District or Greenville or Bishop Arts. The MiCo bar will be good for concerts on the lawn there.

On 1/21/2021 at 4:56 PM, DFWTexEx said:

Agree.  Cacti?  Colorful wooden fences and benches?  Frida Kahlo art?  

On 1/21/2021 at 7:32 PM, AustinMT said:

Article says they are moving the bar (which as I recall takes a chunk out of the middle) to the back, which I assume will create more seating.  I’m guessing they will end redo the kitchen (gotta have room to make the Sunset sauce ;)).  Apart from that you got me

I mean, hang a couple sombreros and ponchos on the wall, bring in some used bright colored mismatched furniture, string up a piñata, and you’re good.

Khao Noodle Shop is "temporarily" going away and they're going to put a soup shop in its place for now. Crazy how they've gone from number 2 new restaurant in the county to bordering on bankruptcy. I guess the guys in the Texas BBQ thread were right when they said good food and good cooks don't always translate into good businesses. 

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Khao Noodle Shop is "temporarily" going away and they're going to put a soup shop in its place for now. Crazy how they've gone from number 2 new restaurant in the county to bordering on bankruptcy. I guess the guys in the Texas BBQ thread were right when they said good food and good cooks don't always translate into good businesses. 

Damn, that sucks.  Maybe they’ll come back in a better location.  I never even got a chance to check it out.

14 hours ago, bluto said:

Random - Christie’s sports bar has reopened after taking over the slaters 50/50 on l Greenville. Between dodies and terillis.

I saw that.   Actually a lot of potential in that location.  Look forward to checking it out once the 'rona starts to phase off or we get vaccinated.