Takeout in the time of Coronavirus

Sbbruin

3 hours ago, TheUofTexas said:

Thought about picking up Via, but got PHP instead. The pizza isn't up to par, but you can't beat the Electric Jellyfish. Might be my favorite beer in Austin

I tried to order php last night but never got them to pick up the phone. Owner said they are absolutely slammed. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheUofTexas said:

Thought about picking up Via, but got PHP instead. The pizza isn't up to par, but you can't beat the Electric Jellyfish. Might be my favorite beer in Austin

Agree with both. Via seemed to be doing fine. Whole lot was full of people picking up orders. 

• Like 1

at heb, i witnessed a woman sneezing directly into a display case and then fondling a few items. so, other than that woman being a total fucktard, be careful when handling anything you buy from a store/restaurant.

assume that the virus is on the packaging and wash after dispensing it into another plate/pot/etc.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Shortest line ever on a Saturday at Hot Bagel in Houston. Poppy seed with chive cream cheese for the win. 

There are some silver linings in this current state of events. 

Love that joint.  Toasted everything with strawberry cream cheese FTW. 

Edited by deadshank

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Shortest line ever on a Saturday at Hot Bagel in Houston. Poppy seed with chive cream cheese for the win. 

There are some silver linings in this current state of events. 

Damn. I didn't need to read this after just being told that bagels could not be included in my HEB order. Need to find a spot in Austin to get my fix (all recs welcome)

38 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Love that joint.  Toasted everything with strawberry cream cheese FTW. 

Not what I would order, but it’s a great spot. New York Bagels in Bellaire is also great. Kenny and Ziggys usually has solid bagels. I won’t eat bagels anywhere else in Houston. 

That said I’ve had better bagels in dive subway delis in New York. 

We've done the Kebab Shop and Whataburger so far.

We'll do our neighborhood chinese, Hao Q, if they're doing takeout (we'll probably check on Tuesday).

Our goal is at least one meal a week.  We'll transfer onto plates, and microwave heat to get them really hot.  And I'll wash my hands after handling the boxes to serve the food out of.

We just really want to support our folks around here.  It's heartbreaking to know of so many folks in the industry out of work right now, so we want to do anything we can do to help keep their workplaces open, so the jobs are there for them when this is all over.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We've done the Kebab Shop and Whataburger so far.

We'll do our neighborhood chinese, Hao Q, if they're doing takeout (we'll probably check on Tuesday).

Our goal is at least one meal a week.  We'll transfer onto plates, and microwave heat to get them really hot.  And I'll wash my hands after handling the boxes to serve the food out of.

We just really want to support our folks around here.  It's heartbreaking to know of so many folks in the industry out of work right now, so we want to do anything we can do to help keep their workplaces open, so the jobs are there for them when this is all over.

Trying for a similar plan here.  Did one of our favorite steakhouses last night.  Hour and a half for delivery, so seems a lot of people are doing their part.

I guess once the compassion phase starts to wear off a little (and it will), competition will drive survival of the fittest and only the best restaurants with the best food, service and prices will survive.

5 hours ago, bernorange said:

Was driving down the road Friday around 10am and saw a line roughly 10 cars deep at the local Chick-Fil-A drive-through.  I thought it was odd for a line that long at that time of the morning.

At CFA? If there’s no drive thru line between 10 and 6, the whole fucking world is dead. 

So with takeout, my experience is that it's all about the packaging.  A place that has phenomenal food for in-store dining can completely fuck up the to-go deal with poor packaging.

So who are the good places for takeout in Austin?

My initial feel is Sap's for Thai.  Doc's for nasty bar food.

But what else you got?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

In Houston, did Pluckers last Thursday.  It was pretty quiet overall with only 3 cars total at 6pm on a Thursday night.

Picked up 10lbs of crawfish from BBs yesterday. They were getting a pretty steady flow of takeout at 6:30.

I love BB's White Oak's crawfish. Hopefully, I can dine in before the end of the season. But if push comes to shove, I'll order take out. 

A guy opened a pizza shop about a block from my office 4 weeks ago.  Poor bastard.  I have picked up pizza from him every day for my skeleton crew staff.  He is very appreciative of any business.  A little bonus, he just got his taps installed and working 2 weeks ago, he is filling up my growlers for $5 every time i go in now.  

• Like 1

I did Texican Cafe in Brodie Oaks for Tex-Mex, and they did a really great job on the packaging. Food is good, but packaging is critical when you have a bunch of dishes that are served with sauce.

Most sauces were on the side. Containers had separate compartments. That’s how you do take-out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sucks.  I never got through for a to go order since they were so slammed.  I'm told they should come back once this all calms down.
Dang, sorry to hear that. I was able to grab a 4 pack of Electric Jellyfish last weekend and was planning to get some more this weekend. Gotta ration those out now

Well....fuck.
Today, we decided to support one of our go-to neighborhood places, Hao Q. We ordered dinner, and a couple of extra entrees for lunch tomorrow. Went in to pick it up, made small talk with the guy checking ringing us up. Said they’re trying to keep things going, our big order helped.
Got home, and we talked about Hong, the face of the restaurant. She was diagnosed with cancer 15 months ago, and we were wondering how she was doing - thinking that she really shouldn’t be up there these days.
We just found out a few minutes ago that she died. Today.
It fucking sucks. She always welcomed us, knew us all, knew our orders. There were times we just went in and said “feed us.” And she did. She was a fixture in the neighborhood. She was a friend to our family.
These are the institutions we’re trying to support these days. They’re businesses, and people, who matter.
We will miss her.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Well....fuck.
Today, we decided to support one of our go-to neighborhood places, Hao Q. We ordered dinner, and a couple of extra entrees for lunch tomorrow. Went in to pick it up, made small talk with the guy checking ringing us up. Said they’re trying to keep things going, our big order helped.
Got home, and we talked about Hong, the face of the restaurant. She was diagnosed with cancer 15 months ago, and we were wondering how she was doing - thinking that she really shouldn’t be up there these days.
It fucking sucks. She always welcomed us, knew us all, knew our orders. There were times we just went in and said “feed us.” And she did. She was a fixture in the neighborhood. She was a friend to our family.
These are the institutions we’re trying to support these days. They’re businesses, and people, who matter.
We will miss her.

Damn. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 9:51 PM, Brisketexan said:

Well....fuck.
We will miss her.

That is sad. RIP

On 3/22/2020 at 12:57 PM, TheUofTexas said:

Damn. I didn't need to read this after just being told that bagels could not be included in my HEB order. Need to find a spot in Austin to get my fix (all recs welcome)

Not sure if open, but Biderman's on Far West is outstandng. NY style bagel/deli shop. Nervous Charlie's was a bagel place getting a bunch of hype with a really long line (is it even Austin if there's no line for instgaram???), might be able to try that without the hassle now.

• Like 1

Well....fuck.
We will miss her.

Was this the place in Dobie years ago? If that’s the same Hong(sp?), that really sucks. Very nice, hard-working lady and always remembered everyone’s name.