Takeout in the time of Coronavirus

Sbbruin

I'm noticing TV advertising campaigns for a lot of fast food chains are adjusting to the new normal.  Several pizza chains now advertising how their pizzas are cooked at 450F or 475F and then never touched by human hands delivered to your doorstep.  That's nice, but they still got teenagers handling all the packaging I'm sure.  Taco Bell advertising free delivery, but they don't even have the "we aint touched shit" marketing angle covered yet.

Edited by bernorange

thanks to LL Lawyer's rec i had booze delivered to the house via grizly.com and it worked very well.  Grizly connects you to a local liquor store (south lamar for us) and then the store takes it from there -- immediately called me to verify order and had it on our doorstep in 30 minutes.  I think the surcharge was only $4 and you tip however much you want.  

I'm noticing TV advertising campaigns for a lot of fast food chains are adjusting to the new normal.  Several pizza chains now advertising how their pizzas are cooked at 450F or 475F and then never touched by human hands delivered to your doorstep.  That's nice, but they still got teenagers handling all the packaging I'm sure.  Taco Bell advertising free delivery, but they don't even have the "we aint touched shit" marketing angle covered yet.

If your Taco Bell has coronavirus on it, your coronavirus is contaminated.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, bernorange said:

Robots or nothing. 

We’re hitting up all of our favorite places, ordering extra, and tipping 30%. Spending a ridiculous amount of money hitting up at least one place per day, but I haven’t eaten this good in years. It’s like being on vacation, but always picking the perfect meal.

Evangeline Cafe (Brodie)
Las Abuelas (Manchaca)
Sala Thai (Frate Barker)
Trudy’s (every Friday night, mostly just for the Mex Marts)
Valentinas (Manchaca)
Vincents (Brodie)

I’m sure I’ve left a few off here

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

We’re hitting up all of our favorite places, ordering extra, and tipping 30%. Spending a ridiculous amount of money hitting up at least one place per day, but I haven’t eaten this good in years. It’s like being on vacation, but always picking the perfect meal.

Evangeline Cafe (Brodie)
Las Abuelas (Manchaca)
Sala Thai (Frate Barker)
Valentinas (Manchaca)
Vincents (Brodie)

Diabeetus? 

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Evangeline Cafe (Brodie)
Las Abuelas (Manchaca)
Sala Thai (Frate Barker)
Valentinas (Manchaca)
Vincents (Brodie)

Will Trudy's sell you a pitcher of Mexican Martinis?  'Cause I think that might be worth exploring.

Local news story today had a health pro on saying it was highly unlikely that the virus would be transmitted by food or food containers.
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 3:46 PM, SquishMitten said:

Evangeline Cafe (Brodie)
Las Abuelas (Manchaca)
Sala Thai (Frate Barker)
Valentinas (Manchaca)
Vincents (Brodie)

Well hello neighbor. 

Is Sala Thai that little trailer across from the new convenience store?  Any good?  I never tried Las Abuelas because it's yelp reviews seemed mostly hellbent on claiming it was way better than Valentina's.  I could be onboard with it if they focused on the lack of a line to wait in, but when they focus on saying it's straight-up better I just can't take it seriously.  Not their fault though, I should try it out one day.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Are you drinking all 6 that night?  Because that's intense if so.

~3.5 for me, and 2.5 for the wife.

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Well hello neighbor. 

Is Sala Thai that little trailer across from the new convenience store?  Any good?  I never tried Las Abuelas because it's yelp reviews seemed mostly hellbent on claiming it was way better than Valentina's.  I could be onboard with it if they focused on the lack of a line to wait in, but when they focus on saying it's straight-up better I just can't take it seriously.  Not their fault though, I should try it out one day.

Yeah. Sala is the sketchy lookin trailer. Very good, especially if you like spice.

No idea why someone would compare Las Abuelas to Valentinas. It's fried chicken so the only thing they have in common is being within walking distance. Either way, it's finominole. You should definitely try them out.

• Like 1

I bet I'm confusing it with with one of the other trailers right there.  One of them is a taco place.  Will get some fried chicken today!  I also frequent Beaux Seafood further south at 1626 and Bliss Spillar.  Good fried boudin balls, and the basic cajun stuff.. fried shrimp, crawfish, etc...  I don't usually care for his specials too much, but that's probably just me.  

H-E-B announced last week that select grocery stores would start carrying heat-and-eat meals from a handful of restaurants across the state. The project started with Houston restaurants Underbelly and Cherry Block, and now includes Rosario’s Mexican Cafe Y Cantina and Max and Louie’s New York Diner in San Antonio.

Starting this week, Fresa’s Chicken Al Carbon will be selling several popular menu items at half a dozen Austin H-E-Bs: Bee Cave/Loop 360, South Congress/Oltorf, Far West, 51st Street/Berkman, Hancock Center and Slaughter/Escarpment.

Later this month, Ramen Tatsu-Ya and Picnik will roll out menu items available to buy in stores, too. All proceeds from the sales of these chef-prepared meals will go directly to the restaurants, according to H-E-B. According to the Express-News, Max & Louie’s was able to hire back about a dozen furloughed employees because of the new sales venture.

https://www.austin360.com/foodanddining/20200406/h-e-b-to-sell-meals-from-austin-restaurants-like-ramen-tatsu-ya-fresas

• Like 2

I bet I'm confusing it with with one of the other trailers right there.  One of them is a taco place.  Will get some fried chicken today!  I also frequent Beaux Seafood further south at 1626 and Bliss Spillar.  Good fried boudin balls, and the basic cajun stuff.. fried shrimp, crawfish, etc...  I don't usually care for his specials too much, but that's probably just me.  

If you were thinking of a nearby BBQ joint, it’s probably Slow Pokes on 1626 just east of Manchaca. It’s pretty darn good. Not as good as Valentina’s, but I’d pick it any day over standing in line for 2 hours

It was one of the trucks in the lot at that Mobil station next to Valentina's.  The reviews that turned me off on the place were a couple years ago, so pretty outdated at this point.  Right there with you on the long lines.  I'm lucky to have free time on random weekday afternoons and to be able to schedule my lunch outside of the peak times.  

If you were thinking of a nearby BBQ joint, it’s probably Slow Pokes on 1626 just east of Manchaca. It’s pretty darn good. Not as good as Valentina’s, but I’d pick it any day over standing in line for 2 hours
Re Slowpoke's, right before all this shit started they quit doing bbq to focus on the beer garden. I've never eaten there, but I've tried some of the his cue at competitions and it was pretty good.

Going to do a ham from B&B Butchers (in Houston) for Easter Sunday.  Seemed like the best place for us to do curbside.  Lots of steak places open, but I just don't think steak works well for takeout.  Plus I can load up on some cuts from the butcher shop, which I have not tried before.

Was out walking the dog at Pease yesterday when a stranger approached.  Said stranger called out

"Excuse me sir, do you like beer?'

Intrigued yet suspicious I closed the social distance gap of 50ft and see he is holding a stack of fliers.  I would like to know more.  I reply

"Que?"

He repeats his pitch...

"Sir, do you like beer?.........and food?"

Beer and food?  It's like this guy could write my life story and we haven't been within 25ft of each other.  The dog has abandoned ship at this point and is swimming in the creek somewhere.  Fearing this could be a trick to catch the Rona, I proceed with caution and ask for him to tell me more.

"Yes, I do like beer, and food.  Come at me bro..with your flyer." 

He hands over his ambitious advertisement and proceeds to tell me he brews his own beer in his apartment and sells it each weekend in a nitro sealed growler.  He also makes food to sell with the beer, just to be clear.  After our colloquy, he quickly retreated to a 93 primer gray Ford Taurus and left peculiarly not distributing the rest of his fliers.

So if you are out of ideas this Easter quarantine for the family, drop Sean a line this weekend and help support local businesses. 

49755214901_6cf3b05919_b.jpg

On 4/6/2020 at 5:42 PM, Your Mom said:

It was one of the trucks in the lot at that Mobil station next to Valentina's.  The reviews that turned me off on the place were a couple years ago, so pretty outdated at this point.  Right there with you on the long lines.  I'm lucky to have free time on random weekday afternoons and to be able to schedule my lunch outside of the peak times.  

Hey neighbors!

Did you end up trying Las Abuelas? I've been pimping the shit out of that place here recently.

Hadn't had the nerve to try Sala even though it's within walking distance. "Sketchy looking" is an understatement. I'd probably go with "Rape shack." 

On 4/3/2020 at 3:46 PM, SquishMitten said:

Evangeline Cafe (Brodie)
Las Abuelas (Manchaca)
Sala Thai (Frate Barker)
Valentinas (Manchaca)
Vincents (Brodie)

At least twice a week here.

Vaquero Taquero (best tacos in campus area)

Shoal Creek Saloon CFS slammed. 

Via 313

and a Big Ass Cuban Sandwich from Habana on SoCo

19 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Was out walking the dog at Pease yesterday when a stranger approached.  Said stranger called out

"Excuse me sir, do you like beer?'

Intrigued yet suspicious I closed the social distance gap of 50ft and see he is holding a stack of fliers.  I would like to know more.  I reply

"Que?"

He repeats his pitch...

"Sir, do you like beer?.........and food?"

Beer and food?  It's like this guy could write my life story and we haven't been within 25ft of each other.  The dog has abandoned ship at this point and is swimming in the creek somewhere.  Fearing this could be a trick to catch the Rona, I proceed with caution and ask for him to tell me more.

"Yes, I do like beer, and food.  Come at me bro..with your flyer." 

He hands over his ambitious advertisement and proceeds to tell me he brews his own beer in his apartment and sells it each weekend in a nitro sealed growler.  He also makes food to sell with the beer, just to be clear.  After our colloquy, he quickly retreated to a 93 primer gray Ford Taurus and left peculiarly not distributing the rest of his fliers.

So if you are out of ideas this Easter quarantine for the family, drop Sean a line this weekend and help support local businesses. 

49755214901_6cf3b05919_b.jpg

How we supposed to drop him a line when everything’s scribbled out?

I urge you not to patronize any of this assholes restaurants. 

Houston billionaire restaurateur Tilman Fertitta told FOX News' guest host Brian Kilmeade that he laid off 45,000 workers as a 'favor" to help them access unemployment benefits earlier.

"You know, Brian, I went through the '87 crisis, the 2000, the 2008," Fertitta said Saturday on FOX News' Ingraham Angle. "You’re doing the people a favor if you get them furloughed first, because you have them first to unemployment line after the severance that you give them.  It’s a trick that I’ve learned many years ago."

22 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

For anyone in San Antonio, I recommend Cooper’s Meat Market. Great place to stock up on brisket, sausage, and steaks. They also sell an excellent chicken tetrazzini and a King Ranch casserole that will make several meals. Very good for freezing and serving large families in this difficult moment. 

Schott's Meat Market - 16/1604 is a good spot 

9 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Houston billionaire restaurateur Tilman Fertitta told FOX News' guest host Brian Kilmeade that he laid off 45,000 workers as a 'favor" to help them access unemployment benefits earlier.

"You know, Brian, I went through the '87 crisis, the 2000, the 2008," Fertitta said Saturday on FOX News' Ingraham Angle. "You’re doing the people a favor if you get them furloughed first, because you have them first to unemployment line after the severance that you give them.  It’s a trick that I’ve learned many years ago."

Not surprising.  Fertitta was an a-hole long before coronavirus hit.  

We have done Alamo Cafe several times. They have an awesome chicken strip dinner that comes with 16 tenders, fries, a dozen tortillas, a bag of chips, queso, salsa, bbq sauce, and gravy for $29.99. We added a salad to make me feel better about myself.

212717ab3d5e2a5f7772392f29756344.jpg

We have done Longhorn Cafe

bbbea69c38279a17fd69829f79b28038.jpg

Yesterday we took a drive to Blanco and ordered a pizza from Blanco River Pizza Company and then took the backroads home.

30ddb3257a5cac5116389326cfa27a46.jpg
2c503f8d52c35e1ad8661c34d194cda1.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I agree he’s an asshole but not for this.  I’d say ripping the bandaid off serves his and his (former) staff’s interest.  It’s not like they were making money.  

Had a craving for fried catfish and hush puppies yesterday, so I had Catfish Parlour delivered. They threw in a roll of toilet paper. That was nice.

Oooh....catfish parlour. Hadn’t thought about that - great idea.

Anyone know of a place doing a big delivery or pickup of boiled crawfish in town? It’s that season....

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Anyone know of a place doing a big delivery or pickup of boiled crawfish in town? It’s that season....

Quality Seafoood is doing it.

Pre-boiled, $8.99 a pound. Fridays and Saturdays. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 1:40 PM, Brisketexan said:

Beaux Seafood is $6/lb but I think you've got to watch their FB page to time it out right for pickup. Think you might be able to call and put in an order to be held.

On 4/12/2020 at 1:40 PM, Brisketexan said:

i was picking up some takeout at le bleu this weekend and saw that they are selling vietnamese boiled crawfish for take out, if that's your thing.  everything else they do is outstanding so i would imagine this is too.  don't remember the price.

have been largely sticking to the norm of cooking all but 1-2 meals at home each week.  the takeouts for us have been epicerie, red ash, fixe, hopdoddy, taco deli a few times, emmer and rye.

all have been pretty easy to navigate and food was all relatively on point.  picking up hopdoddy was an unmitigated shitshow of stupidity but llano poblano was also stupid good that night.