Takeout in the time of Coronavirus

Sbbruin

Want to plug Troy in NW Austin, at Mesa and Spicewood. Absolutely delicious Turkish place, family owned. Been there for a while. Call in your order, pay over phone, and they have it waiting at the door.

No particular deal or anything, but did order from there tonight and they snuck some free Turkish rice pudding into the order. Mostly just want to give them some word of mouth because it's the kind of local place you really want to see survive, and it's honestly one of my favorite places in town too. Really good.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Want to plug Troy in NW Austin, at Mesa and Spicewood. Absolutely delicious Turkish place, family owned. Been there for a while. Call in your order, pay over phone, and they have it waiting at the door.

No particular deal or anything, but did order from there tonight and they snuck some free Turkish rice pudding into the order. Mostly just want to give them some word of mouth because it's the kind of local place you really want to see survive, and it's honestly one of my favorite places in town too. Really good.

just looked at their menu online and thought, holy shit, how have i never been here?  i want to try all of this.  will be giving this a try this weekend.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

just looked at their menu online and thought, holy shit, how have i never been here?  i want to try all of this.  will be giving this a try this weekend.

Yeah--now that I can dash up Mopac at 120 MPH, it suddenly makes sense for me to check out some of these NW Austin spots.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 6:58 PM, Ghost of LL said:

Yeah--now that I can dash up Mopac at 120 MPH, it suddenly makes sense for me to check out some of these NW Austin spots.

Heh. I definitely did a drive around town at normal rush hour a couple weeks ago just to experience that. I did drive a bit tonight and it seems like traffic is creeping back. No delays or anything, but more people on the road. Purely anecdotal though.

Did curbside at Poolburger last night and there were at least 15 or 20 people standing out in front of Deep Eddy having beers?  I couldn't see inside but the door was open and it looked busy in there too?  I love Deep Eddy and have spent a considerable amount of time there over the years but what the fuck is that all about?

On 4/15/2020 at 10:39 PM, Brisketexan said:

Love Troy.
We did takeout from Fat Dragon tonight. They don’t do the soup dumplings for takeout, but everything else was great.

I gotta tell you, I had a mediocre experience last night.  And again--it was a deal with the packaging.

I'm sure the food for dine-in is great.  But when you're doing packaging, a lot of the sauce needs to stay on the side.  Otherwise, it just makes the whole dish soggy as I'm flying down Mopac (including blowing by a cop at about 95).

11 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

Did curbside at Poolburger last night and there were at least 15 or 20 people standing out in front of Deep Eddy having beers?  I couldn't see inside but the door was open and it looked busy in there too?  I love Deep Eddy and have spent a considerable amount of time there over the years but what the fuck is that all about?

Did curbside pick up at Deep eddy. Picked up a 6 pack and a ham & cheese sandwich.  Only 2 people allowed inside to order then go. Some were waiting to go inside and order, staff wearing masks.  Looked like a few folks outside maintaining distance and all wearing masks. 

Edited by joebevo

On 4/20/2020 at 6:47 PM, Ghost of LL said:

I gotta tell you, I had a mediocre experience last night.  And again--it was a deal with the packaging.

I'm sure the food for dine-in is great.  But when you're doing packaging, a lot of the sauce needs to stay on the side.  Otherwise, it just makes the whole dish soggy as I'm flying down Mopac (including blowing by a cop at about 95).

are you talking about Troy?  Or Fat Dragon?  I think Troy but your quote references both places.

On 4/22/2020 at 9:29 AM, Baboontyme said:

Did you guys see this? My buddy in Austin sent it to me and another friend who also used to live there. 

https://austin.eater.com/2020/4/20/21228336/austin-tex-mex-restaurant-enchiladas-y-mas-closing-coronavirus-impact-covid-19

Did YOU know that they canceled the Houston Rodeo???? :)

Just kidding.  But yeah, it's been mentioned...

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Out here in the land of milfs and honey, my little milf wants some enchiladas and margaritas. About to go pick up some stupid big order from Maudies. 

You know there are rules, right?  Also, Maudie's sells margherita kits as well fwiw.  

Did you guys see this? My buddy in Austin sent it to me and another friend who also used to live there. 

https://austin.eater.com/2020/4/20/21228336/austin-tex-mex-restaurant-enchiladas-y-mas-closing-coronavirus-impact-covid-19

What's going on in New York?  I heard a bunch of folks have been coughing and running a fever.

• Like 2

As long as a certain “special” sandwich shop in West Campus survives I’ll be fine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

To be fair, it was a 50 minute lead time for the East 6th location versus an hour and a half at the Guadalupe location. I live in between. And half the fuckheads walking around East 6th weren’t wearing masks including the cunt ahead of me in line who left in a Prius.

Via is fantastic but my one large pizza (read: no beers, appetizers, desserts, etc) cost $46 the other night.     

It’s always been my Top 2 in Austin but thats pretty damn absurd for a pizza place, especially when I get two larges from both Homeslice and Little Deli for the same price.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

Via is fantastic but my one large pizza (read: no beers, appetizers, desserts, etc) cost $46 the other night.     

It’s always been my Top 2 in Austin but thats pretty damn absurd for a pizza place, especially when I get two larges from both Homeslice and Little Deli for the same price.   

$46 is expensive, I had not noticed that Via was that much more then little Deli so I just did a check.

A large cheese at Via is @20, and extra toppings are $2 so if you got a 4 topping pizza it would be $28 + tax and tip. At Little Deli a large is not$16.50 and toppings are $2.50 so that same four toppings is $26.50 plus tax and tip. Not a huge difference. 

I am assuming you got some speciality pie with mods to get up in that price range (unless you were including tax and tip/ 

1 hour ago, hornbri said:

$46 is expensive, I had not noticed that Via was that much more then little Deli so I just did a check.

A large cheese at Via is @20, and extra toppings are $2 so if you got a 4 topping pizza it would be $28 + tax and tip. At Little Deli a large is not$16.50 and toppings are $2.50 so that same four toppings is $26.50 plus tax and tip. Not a huge difference. 

I am assuming you got some speciality pie with mods to get up in that price range (unless you were including tax and tip/ 

I ordered the usual Carnivore with one additional topping of extra cheese at $4(!!!).  Via is adding a 15% surcharge on all orders during Covid which brought the total to $37.  Standard 20% tip and it was $45 and change. 

The meat combo at Little Deli is $22 with $2.50 extra cheese topping.

Again, not a big deal because our household does one of Via, LD or Homeslice at least once a week, but Via is always considerably more expensive.  

22 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Alamo Drafthouse has a lasagna meal kit that comes with a jigsaw puzzle and a DVD of their choice for $60. It’s a frozen Stouffers lasagna.

Seriously? I don't mind having to pay a little extra to help keep places afloat, but that's fucked up. 

22 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Alamo Drafthouse has a lasagna meal kit that comes with a jigsaw puzzle and a DVD of their choice for $60. It’s a frozen Stouffers lasagna.

haha, i also have to know if this is for real or just a funny characterization of a crummy Alamo-made lasagna