Anyone else get way too fucking hot when they sleep?

Chopper

After years of getting way too hot at night -- and not being able to turn the ac down far enough or open the window wide enough during winter because the wife gets too cold at night -- I learned of a product from a friend of my wife's and ordered it a couple weeks ago. Been using it for about a week under their 30 day trial warranty and so far there is no way the machine is going back. I have no involvement with the company - just posting this as a PSA in case there's anyone here in the same boat as I was. It's called the ChiliPad - and the upgraded version is the Ooler. It's a pad that goes on top of the mattress and it heats or cools distilled water - not that much - to what ever temperature you set. I got an email that the ChiliPad is 40 percent off this week so thought I'd post about it in case anyone else wants something like it.

We bought the Ooler because it has more programming options. The wife and I couldn't be more opposite - she gets into bed with the thing set at 80 F and I have my side of the bed set at 68...my side is programmed to go down to 61 during the night and hers is on some warm setting...users have the ability to set whatever sleep schedule they want, automatic on/off...the machine is thus far amazing. First night of use I felt the tubing inside the pad, haven't noticed them since.

Anyway...fwiw, fyi...it's helping me sleep with all this stressful bs going on, maybe it'll help one of you guys too.

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 4

I just spent the last 4 days sleeping and waking in the best conditions.  Then she came back home.  Now I'm fucking awake with a gotdamn headache that I woke up with feeling like I was burning in the sun.  No, I'm not sick, the fucking heat got turned up!  Fans are great but the logic cycle of the continuing heat temp rise while using a fan to suppress it seems like women logic.  I love that woman but damn do I sleep better when she's not here. /overheated rant over

• Like 1

Might have to try this one out.  

I actually sleep in the guest BR because of the same hot/cold issues between my wife and me.  I'd be perfectly happy sleeping with the window wide open on a 20 degree night.  She thinks anything less than 90 is too cold. I'm also a very restless sleeper anyway.

Last summer, on our way back from Disney, we stayed with a friend who kept the thermostat at about 85.  I was sweating just sitting on the couch.  I didn't want to be rude so I feigned illness.  That is, pretended I was vomiting.  With only one bathroom in the house, I booked the closest roach motel I could find.  There was literally hair on the wall.  Didn't matter.  1970's era box AC 2 feet from the bed.  Slept like a baby.  /csb

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

How fat are you?

What are you, Tony Kornheiser, you want my height and weight? Will you ring the bell like I ring your mom's bell?

"Sleeping hot" is a fairly common condition. And for the record, I'm 6'3" 225 maaaaan.

Edited by Chopper

7 hours ago, seven said:

I was looking at that same thing over Christmas because it was $100 off. Thanks for the good review. It's a good chunk of money, but god damn I hate waking up and having the blanket and pillow soaked. 

The first night I was thinking I might have to send it back because I could feel the tubing. But since then it's been nothing but awesome. The company recommends starting at 68 I think and finding your preferred temp from there. I'd say, start cooler than that. It doesn't feel as cold on your skin as the gauge on the machine indicates if you're beneath covers. Which is a great benefit of this machine  for me - I sleep much better underneath the covers.

7 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

With only one bathroom in the house, I booked the closest roach motel I could find.  There was literally hair on the wall.  Didn't matter.  1970's era box AC 2 feet from the bed.  Slept like a baby.  /csb

Hate those hotels that put a fake thermostat in the room. Seems like it's usually marriott and hilton.

F that.  Back when the boy was in scouting, June camp out at Camp James Ray in Pottsborough.  Near lake Texoma.  JFC it was a hot, sticky mess.  Had four of those little camp fans on me, that each take something like 8 D batteries.  Plus a mosquito net and a godzilla-sized case of swamp ass....

This was back in 2015, when all those torrential rains came in.  They came in as we were packing up to leave.  LOrd they were fierce.

36 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

F that.  Back when the boy was in scouting, June camp out at Camp James Ray in Pottsborough.  Near lake Texoma.  JFC it was a hot, sticky mess.  Had four of those little camp fans on me, that each take something like 8 D batteries.  Plus a mosquito net and a godzilla-sized case of swamp ass....

This was back in 2015, when all those torrential rains came in.  They came in as we were packing up to leave.  LOrd they were fierce.

That's hilarious.  The worst for me  has to be when I was in Chillicothe, Tx on opening day (dove).  We camped out the night before, I left the rain fly at home.....  5 inches later the water is rushing by my air matress and I'm about to float away....  T shirt and grippers.

7 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

That's hilarious.  The worst for me  has to be when I was in Chillicothe, Tx on opening day (dove).  We camped out the night before, I left the rain fly at home.....  5 inches later the water is rushing by my air matress and I'm about to float away....  T shirt and grippers.

About that, but add in a small kid with a case of the green apple squirts....we bailed right before that shit hit like a freight train.  Poor little guy was a mess, slept the whole way how as tghe truck bucked and wobbled in the wind/rain.

17 hours ago, Chopper said:

I got an email that the ChiliPad is 40 percent off this week so thought I'd post about it in case anyone else wants something like it.

Do you have the offer code on that? I am only seeing 20% off on the website. 

I am willing to try this out. 90 day return policy and all. 

I get hot as hell sleeping at night.  But fortunately both my kids like it cool in the house when they sleep too.  So the wife, who is cold when it's 85, just has to load up on blankets.  Which seems like a pretty easy solution.  It has to be 68 or lower for me.

37 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Do you have the offer code on that? I am only seeing 20% off on the website. 

I am willing to try this out. 90 day return policy and all. 

They must have changed their website today. Crap. Try 'lovesleep' for 25% off, it may have expired was from an email I received a couple weeks ago. Also that only worked on the chilipad not the ooler.

Several years ago, our downstairs ac went out, and the vac dude allowed that it would be ten days before he could fix it.  We went to Lowes, bought a 110 window unit for just over a hundred bucks, and slept like champs.  Even after the ac was repaired, we kept the little unit that could in our window all summer long.  Must have gotten down to the low sixties in our room.  Best summer ever. 

2 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

In the summer my thermo is set at 80.  I use a box fan, ceiling fan and sleep with no covers.  Just underwear and a t shirt.  It works for me.  Just think of the Comanche out on the Texas plain in a T Pee in the summer. 

I don’t even turn it up to 80 when I leave the house.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I get hot as hell sleeping at night.  But fortunately both my kids like it cool in the house when they sleep too.  So the wife, who is cold when it's 85, just has to load up on blankets.  Which seems like a pretty easy solution.  It has to be 68 or lower for me.

Yeah I always turn the heat down to 64 but of course depending on the weather that is sometimes an effective strategy, sometimes not. And the temperature in a particular room fluctuates or becomes uncomfortable when the heat turns on, at least it does in our house. Plus depending on where the vents are in the bedroom you may have to deal with air blowing on you. When it's actually 64 indoors in the morning that makes for comfortable sleeping but just leads to having to light the fireplace or ramping up the heat when the wife wakes up. This chilipad thing has been giving me predictable temperature and comfort.

Edited by Chopper

20 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Yeah I always turn the heat down to 64 but of course depending on the weather that is sometimes an effective strategy, sometimes not. And the temperature in a particular room fluctuates or becomes uncomfortable when the heat turns on, at least it does in our house. Plus depending on where the vents are in the bedroom you may have to deal with air blowing on you. When it's actually 64 indoors in the morning that makes for comfortable sleeping but just leads to having to light the fireplace or ramping up the heat when the wife wakes up. This chilipad thing has been giving me predictable temperature and comfort.

Maybe you are having heat flashes from menopause?

Edited by 2300 Nueces
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thankfully I have a wife that loves to sleep in cold  rooms.  Two window cross breeze, 6" goose down winter comforter, and a knee cap peeking out, all's good. Was 48 degrees in the bedroom when I woke. Only problem - she's so damn small you can't tell that she's under the comforter. Could be worse....

Not going to read the whole thread, as I’m on a small tablet, but about a week ago, the hubby of this gal I’m sleeping with stuck some kind of pad on top of their mattress, and the thing circulates water at different temperatures because he gets hot at night or something.  It’s called a chilling pad or something.  Anyways, it’s annoying for sex, but it does work - we use his side of the bed because we both normally get pretty sweaty.   

So while it’s weird when you’re having sex, I can recommend that it does cool the bed.  

• Like 5

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Not going to read the whole thread, as I’m on a small tablet, but about a week ago, the hubby of this gal I’m sleeping with stuck some kind of pad on top of their mattress, and the thing circulates water at different temperatures because he gets hot at night or something.  It’s called a chilling pad or something.  Anyways, it’s annoying for sex, but it does work - we use his side of the bed because we both normally get pretty sweaty.   

So while it’s weird when you’re having sex, I can recommend that it does cool the bed.  

tenor.gif?itemid=16125280

36 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Mrs. CHIEF and I have a BedJet on our bed, and CHIEF Jr. got one for Christmas. Helluva lot cheaper than the ChiliPad. Works great, probably saves us $150 a month on cranking the a/c units down to 65 in the summer. 

https://bedjet.com

CHIEF

+1 on the BedJet, I have one on my side and my wife's side of the bed, I like it cold and she likes it hot.

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

Mrs. CHIEF and I have a BedJet on our bed, and CHIEF Jr. got one for Christmas. Helluva lot cheaper than the ChiliPad. Works great, probably saves us $150 a month on cranking the a/c units down to 65 in the summer. 

CHIEF

I looked at that option but decided the Ooler was the better choice for us because our mattress frame is low to the ground so no room to fit that contraption underneath, and I don't want to see hoses running up underneath my sheets. I also don't like the sensation of air blowing on me. So Ooler/chilipad it was, both for looks and practicality, although yeah it was definitely much more expensive.

7 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Mrs. Saucy loves ours, too.  The reverse air flow/suction can lead to some fun as a side benefit.

Here she is setting the thing up.  No comments on the wife, you fucking animals, she's a bit sensitive.

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by SaucyJack

I sweat a metric shit ton when I sleep. I’ve lost track of the amount of times I’ve woken up to go to the bathroom and have to change my t shirt or my side of the bed was soaked. Switched sheets about a year ago and that’s generally gone away. For 85 bucks switching sheets were a pretty nice solution. 

https://www.peachskinsheets.com

• Like 2

On 3/18/2020 at 9:53 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

I sweat a metric shit ton when I sleep. I’ve lost track of the amount of times I’ve woken up to go to the bathroom and have to change my t shirt or my side of the bed was soaked. Switched sheets about a year ago and that’s generally gone away. For 85 bucks switching sheets were a pretty nice solution. 

https://www.peachskinsheets.com

Never heard of these, but I just looked and 3 colors were on sale for 65$ and then the wiki or honey thing popped up and gave me 10$ more off with code COTM55. 

So 65 total. $10 for shipping. Ordered. Thanks for the heads up. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 9:49 PM, SaucyJack said:

Mrs. Saucy loves ours, too.  The reverse air flow/suction can lead to some fun as a side benefit.

Here she is setting the thing up.  No comments on the wife, you fucking animals, she's a bit sensitive.

giphy.gif

Must be great when you rip ass, or worse if she does

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2020 at 7:29 AM, Trey3216 said:

How the hell do you grown men where t-shirts to bed?  What the hell is this shit?  

team boxers only to bed, and those at my discretion.  

Team Saxx boxer briefs here. They keep me from having to shift things around in the middle of the night. $30 a pop or so but they are well-made, use top quality elastic and last much longer than the cotton boxers I used to prefer.