I'm trapped in my house and I need to work!

This is the thread for those of us told by our employers we can't go visit customers.  Tips and best practices and such.

Our company recently switched from Webex to Skype and I'm not impressed.  For an external user (customer) to use it, they gotta download some kinda "web app."  I'm afraid their corporate spam filters won't like that, and I'm afraid customers won't know how to use it anyway.

Facetime is an alternative of course, but I wanna be able to share my computer screen.

We use Salesforce for contact management, and it's a terrible thing.  I have a spreadsheet with all of my customers' names, with a column for the date of contact and summary of that converstation.

So what else?  What else can we be doing?

Since I only have one desk and office chair in the home office I had to figure something out since the wife is working from home too.

Went last night to my office and got an executive office chair and 3 monitors. Set it up at the dining room table and it’s a nice work space.

Too bad I took a Valium for anxiety at 1pm and passed out until 6. Tomorrow though, watch the fuck out.

• Like 1

Realizing that everyone is totally fucked as it comes to "go out and get these things",  if you do not have one go order a usb headset.  Logitech, plantronics, whatever - order something reasonable preferably with a mute button.  It sounds way better than your phone on speaker or your laptop speakers where your typing is whacking everyone on the head, etc.

They make little sliding windows you can stick on top of your computer camera.  My laptop has one built in.  I'm encouraging everyone on my team to join with video for meetings, if you do that regularly it's not a bad practice to get in the habit of using that little slider to make sure you're only on when you mean to be on.

I have people on my team in 4 different states, and also work every day with folks in Western Europe, the Middle East, and China.  I'm actually a tad annoyed at how little this is diminishing the pace/cadence of work, as we are used to working spread across locations and time zones.  If your group has Slack, Teams, Mattermost, etc - whatever kind of chat tool where you can set up channels, I recommend using it liberally and also setting up purposefully off topic channels.  It's nice/easy to keep a connection with the people you work with.  Using that stuff has been a big improvement for some of our 100% remote workers, for everyone involved.

• Like 1