Tom Brady Announces He Will Not Return To the Patriots

Vic Mackey

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

So what exactly was the issue between him and Belichick?  I didn't follow the drama at all.  I'm assuming this is for personal reasons as nothing makes football sense in this whole mess.

Well for starters Bellichick comes off as one of the all time biggest douche bags ever.  Maybe Tom has a conscience, and Bellichicks cheating ways rubbed him the wrong way.

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well for starters Bellichick comes off as one of the all time biggest douche bags ever.  Maybe Tom has a conscience, and Bellichicks cheating ways rubbed him the wrong way.

Yeah that's it.  You should go work for ESPN.

Tom and Bill and Kraft all probably realized this was unfortunately the best way forward for all three.  Yes I get you hate the Patriots and all involved and I am a fan but if you look at it objectively you get that the Patriots probably were done winning Super Bowls with their roster (not what Brady wants) and did not have the cap space to sign Brady and surround him with offensive talent so the Patriots decided it was time to rebuild.  Brady saw that he would be on a team with not enough around him to compete and was offered over $30 million a year for multiple years and figured now makes sense to give it a shot elsewhere.  I hoped he would stay as a fan but understand why all sides are doing this.  I didn't think their dynasty would last 20 years so I can't complain when they suck which will happen starting this year.  Hopefully Bill can rebuild it one more time.  It sucks that Brady goes the way of Namath, Montana, Manning vs Jeter, Kobe, Bird or Duncan but that's pro sports.

• Like 3

Just now, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Tom and Bill and Kraft all probably realized this was unfortunately the best way forward for all three.  Yes I get you hate the Patriots and all involved and I am a fan but if you look at it objectively you get that the Patriots probably were done winning Super Bowls with their roster (not what Brady wants) and did not have the cap space to sign Brady and surround him with offensive talent so the Patriots decided it was time to rebuild.  Brady saw that he would be on a team with not enough around him to compete and was offered over $30 million a year for multiple years and figured now makes sense to give it a shot elsewhere.  I hoped he would stay as a fan but understand why all sides are doing this.  I didn't think their dynasty would last 20 years so I can't complain when they suck which will happen starting this year.  Hopefully Bill can rebuild it one more time.  It sucks that Brady goes the way of Namath, Montana, Manning vs Jeter, Kobe, Bird or Duncan but that's pro sports.

That and Bill must have run out of little tricks he could pull behind the scene to get a  "competitive edge". 

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That and Bill must have run out of little tricks he could pull behind the scene to get a  "competitive edge". 

If you think the only reason they won was because they cheated and the team you root for didn't you are a bigger moron than what I already thought of you based on other posts on Surly.  Many on this board, while not Patriots fans, at least appreciated the greatness they were watching.  

Just now, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

If you think the only reason they won was because they cheated and the team you root for didn't you are a bigger moron than what I already thought of you based on other posts on Surly.  Many on this board, while not Patriots fans, at least appreciated the greatness they were watching.  

Says the guy with a mug shot of Bellichick as his avatar. I'm really hurt, really hurt....  That you don't get sarcasm, and subtlety is amusing.  

What if Brady looks around, and decides to sign with New England??

Guess we would have another "I'm Coming Home" essay...

I'M COMING HOME

IN NORTHEAST OHIO, NOTHING IS GIVEN. EVERYTHING IS EARNED. YOU WORK FOR WHAT YOU HAVE. I'M READY TO ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE. I'M COMING HOME.

LEBRON JAMES

https://vault.si.com/vault/2014/07/21/im-coming-home

14 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

No Bledsoe, no Brady. . .I guess now we will find out if Belichick is an NFL caliber coach.

JK

• Like 3

Kraft just said on the radio that if Brady wanted to stay we would have kept him.  Not sure if he is spinning this or maybe Tom just wanted to leave and start elsewhere to prove he can get it done one more time without Bill and the Patriots.  Guessing Bill was ready for him to leave at $30 million a year as he always had the attitude with players of get rid of them a year early versus a year too late.

Edited by Beantown Express 2.0
Typo

51 minutes ago, Hate said:

BB has been ready to move in for a while now it seems. I just never thought Kraft would let it happen. The Chargers make the most sense, IMO.

I remember hearing BB really wanted to move forward with Jimmy G but the front office still wanted Brady because Brady was not ready to give up his job. And since that time, they did go to a few more Super Bowls and won one. So it isn't like NE fell off the map when Jimmy G was traded. But it's hard for me to believe BB does not have tons of say in roster moves.

I always thought the two would retire together. BB is getting up there in age and never thought he would want to start over with another QB. Never thought Brady at this age would want to go to another team and learn their culture and coaches and start over.

41 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Tell me how you feel about the Astros?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

So what exactly was the issue between him and Belichick?  I didn't follow the drama at all.  I'm assuming this is for personal reasons as nothing makes football sense in this whole mess.

I thought it went back to this...Alex Guerrero was very tight with Tom and was the architect of TB12. It didn't happen overnight, but I'm sure BB was putting together his plans for life after Brady.

Although Guerrero has treated many members of the New England Patriots, there has been substantial friction with the Patriots' management and training staff over his involvement, and in December 2017, the head coach Bill Belichick and the Patriots staff stripped Guerrero of many of his team privileges.[1][5][14]

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Your piece of shit team has been cheating for 40 years minimum.  You think the only coach in NCAA history who took a team to the death penalty somehow didn't continue to be the cheatin piece of shit mfer he is and was when he became the Patriots head coach?  GTFO fuck your piece of shit cheating mfer team

I also love the mentality of pat fans who think they only time they cheated is the times they get caught.  Really? You this stupid?  You get caught every time you cheat/lie to your gf/wife?

Edited by mulletpelini
Belicheater just mastered it

11 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Your piece of shit team has been cheating for 40 years minimum.  You think the only coach in NCAA history who took a team to the death penalty somehow didn't continue to be the cheatin piece of shit mfer he is and was when he became the Patriots head coach?  GTFO fuck your piece of shit cheating mfer team

I also love the mentality of pat fans who think they only time they cheated is the times they get caught.  Really? You this stupid?  You get caught every time you cheat/lie to your gf/wife?

I'm enjoying your tears.  All I know is they will get a 3rd round compensatory pick for this so Belichick turned a 6th rounder into a 3rd round and got 6 super bowls along the way.  Fucking Genius!

Life long Pats fan here. 

This is what the Pats do, they cut their vets early, every time. Hard to call this early, but if Tom Terrific isn't ready to quit then it is early from his perspective, same as all the other vets they didn't resign that seemed to have a year or 2 left.

Its good business, as cold as it is, isn't, or may seem. It's the Patriot way since the Kraft Belichick era.

Pats won't miss a beat thought, AD the next TB.

3 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Pretty much this.  The Pats had been able to reload with the best of them.  Remarkably so.  But that was done, and they weren't winning anything anytime soon.  As a lifelong Lakers fan, watching them crater for more than a half decade was painful, but they have finally emerged from the prolonged slumber.  This is the year we reclaim our place at the pinnacle of the league!  Oh wait... 

Life long Pats fan here. 

This is what the Pats do, they cut their vets early, every time. Hard to call this early, but if Tom Terrific isn't ready to quit then it is early from his perspective, same as all the other vets they didn't resign that seemed to have a year or 2 left.

Its good business, as cold as it is, isn't, or may seem. It's the Patriot way since the Kraft Belichick era.

Pats won't miss a beat thought, AD the next TB.

Imagine thinking losing the greatest QB of all time and you won’t lose a beat
  • Like 1

About the biggest gut punch for a Pats homer.  Not unexpected, I guess, but just never thought Kraft would let this happen. Ultimately, it was something that all parties agreed upon. 

Above and beyond Brady's athletic prowess and unparalleled achievements, he was, and is, a genuinely very good guy.  Never put anyone above himself inside the Gillette locker room.  Stories were oft-repeated by free-agent signees who got approached by Brady during OTA with the unsolicited greeting, "Hi, I'm Tom.  Welcome to the Patriots".  And then there are stories like this:

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- After 20 seasons covering quarterback Tom Brady and the New England Patriots, a lot of things come to mind about the experience.

A moment outside the players' parking lot at Gillette Stadium, on Christmas Eve 2018, sums up what was appreciated as much as anything. It was quiet that Monday, in the wake of a 24-12 win over the Buffalo Bills the day before, and two visitors had joined me -- my then 9-year-old daughter and 6-year-old son. They were on school vacation and would be my filming assistants for a few hours.

The family van was parked, and as we walked to the entrance, a car with tinted windows was turning in that direction. It had the shiniest door handles. It ran so quietly you could hardly hear it coming. I had caught it out of the corner of my eye, told the kids to move out of the middle, before it stopped to our left. The tinted window rolled down to reveal the identity of the driver.

"Hey, guys. Are you ready for Christmas?" Tom Brady asked.

What unfolded from there was something I was quite familiar with in Brady's presence -- a wide-ranging interview. But this one was different. He was asking the questions. To my kids.

"What are some activities you like? What is your favorite subject? Excited for vacation?"

We don't truly know the athletes we cover; we can only draw an impression of them through our mostly limited interactions. Those usually take place in front of lockers or with the athletes behind lecterns. Brady was often gracious with his time, although as the demands on him grew as his stardom did, those moments occurred less often.

When they did, they mostly focused on family and kids, which is why the parking-lot encounter highlighted something I later shared with him: As much as his excellence on the football field was a pleasure to chronicle, it mattered that the person accomplishing those feats seemed to be someone with high integrity, a superstar on the field who also cared greatly about being a supportive husband and father when no one was watching.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28900439/tom-brady-new-england-kindness-leaves-lasting-impression-reporter

47 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Imagine thinking losing the greatest QB of all time and you won’t lose a beat

Sadly that beat is already lost. Boy was it glorious and never to be matched. Bill Belichick, the greatest coach of all time still in charge though. 

I was also hyperbolizing a bit as a joke to hype Andy Dalton, considering the rumors. As a Horned Frog originally from New England, AD assuming TB's throne is pretty much my NFL wet dream. 

Edited by hiphopfroggy

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I'm enjoying your tears.  All I know is they will get a 3rd round compensatory pick for this so Belichick turned a 6th rounder into a 3rd round and got 6 super bowls along the way.  Fucking Genius!

extremely well done sir