What would you do if the US Treasury sent you $1,000

Wally Fairway

18 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I've got no mortgage and no credit card debt. So this is literally free money, which is weird. Probably the first time I have seen such a thing since my high school graduation.

I'll probably buy goats and a smoker.

Rec Tec FTW

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Sounds like it could potentially cap at $100k and people between $75k and $99,999K get less. So don’t be ordering your goodies just yet 

That is some bs. I was about to employ some local ladies from the titter with this cheese

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Sounds like it could potentially cap at $100k and people between $75k and $99,999K get less. So don’t be ordering your goodies just yet 

$99,999K = $99,999,000

So ChiTownDoc and G650 will get stiffed.  My hemorrhoids bleed for them.

• Like 1

Anyone have an idea on how this would be distributed? By mail? Couldn’t imagine how many people would be going through other people’s mailboxes. In person like the dmv? Would be madness. I wonder how they would find “every” person and their correct address. Clearly the answer is just putting out rolls of guaranteed winning scratch off tickets and limit the purchases to one each-the excitement of scratching would add some....nvm you’d know what you’d be winning.

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn

13 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Anyone have an idea on how this would be distributed? By mail? Couldn’t imagine how many people would be going through other people’s mailboxes. In person like the dmv? Would be madness. I wonder how they would find “every” person and their correct address. Clearly the answer is just putting out rolls of guaranteed winning scratch off tickets and limit the purchases to one each-the excitement of scratching would add some....nvm you’d know what you’d be winning.

The same way as the 2008 tax rebate?  While that was mainly to taxpayers, even many of those who didn’t pay or whatever got some money.    If I recall correctly, it was done using either the direct deposit info from those who had that setup with their taxes, or checks through the mail.

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The same way as the 2008 tax rebate?  While that was mainly to taxpayers, even many of those who didn’t pay or whatever got some money.    If I recall correctly, it was done using either the direct deposit info from those who had that setup with their taxes, or checks through the mail.

I'm pretty sure I got mine by mail. I'd been filing taxes and getting small refunds for about 10 years at that point but I don't recall a direct deposit option.

Edited by 'stache

Holy shit, now its $4,500 per person, including kids. I'd be getting $18,000. I'm just below what is being said here as the income requirement, so I'd get it. I'd pay off my last credit card on which I have some lingering debt and use the rest to replace one of our shitty cars. With what's left I'd eat at my favorite local bars and restaurants to prop them up.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/3/17/21183408/coronavirus-cash-basic-income-senate-michael-bennet

Edited by 'stache

Holy shit, now its $4,500 per person, including kids. I'd be getting $18,000. I'm just below what is being said here as the income requirement, so I'd get it. I'd pay off my last credit card on which I have some lingering debt and use the rest to replace one of our shitty cars. With what's left I'd eat at my favorite local bars and restaurants to prop them up.
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/3/17/21183408/coronavirus-cash-basic-income-senate-michael-bennet

Daddy needs a new Denali!

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

There's been at least 4 proposals:

$1,000/month payment - Romney

$2,000/month payment - Sanders

$4,000/month payment - Kennedy

$4,500/month payment - Bennett/Booker

No CR, but only one of those is going to be passable to Mitch McConnell. 

Edited by Js1

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, During the presser, the payments over multiple months were brought up.  

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is not an accurate representation of the plans presented

4 minutes ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

This is not an accurate representation of the plans presented

I went with the amounts that have been posted. 

There's a lot of different scenarios regarding: one time payment, 3 months at a time, automatic re authorization, etc.

Honestly, I'd wait to see what the Trump/Mnuchin/McConnell plan is before we start talking about $4,500 checks showing up in 2 weeks.   

Edited by Js1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

There's a lot of different scenarios regarding: one time payment, 3 months at a time, automatic re authorization, etc.

Honestly, I'd wait to see what the Trump plan is before we start talking about $4,500 checks showing up in 2 weeks.  

They are not all per person, or per month.  They are all much closer to the same $ amount per household if you read them and do the math, but you are right we may not get any of them thru senate

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Honestly, I'd wait to see what the Trump/Mnuchin/McConnell plan is before we start talking about $4,500 checks showing up in 2 weeks.   

Reading up on it, that $4,500 is in three payments of $1,500 depending on how things go, maxing out at $4,500.  

Just now, Rusty Shackelford said:

They are not all per person, or per month.  They are all much closer to the same $ amount per household if you read them and do the math, but you are right we may not get any of them thru senate

Senate will pass it.  It’s an election year, Trump really wants it.  Doubt Mitch wants Trump hammering Republican Senators on Twitter every day.  

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Senate will pass it.  It’s an election year, Trump really wants it.  Doubt Mitch wants Trump hammering Republican Senators on Twitter every day.  

Oh they'll pass it.

The question is how much and for how long.

We already have some Senators "worrying" it will create laziness and will lead to people deciding not to go back to work.  *eyeroll*  But if the plan is April 6 for the first round of checks, they better put forth the plan soon.