What would you do if the US Treasury sent you $1,000

Wally Fairway

3 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Haha, do you know the Marquez' or do you just enjoy their food?  Good stuff.  Their house sauce on the crawfish is tasty!

I don't know-know the family but have gotten to know him and his wife over the last 10 years. My wife and I go there at least once a week, easily. im on first name basis with the staff and roy has given us his Astros seats from time to time. I support them and their team as much as possible. good people

Wife and I are going to replace our hot water tank with a tankless model.  Wanted to put it into savings, but I was planning on doing it later this year, and the installer I use is a small business owner.  I suspect the amount of work he usually does is going to be cut in half, if not more.

22 hours ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

Wife and I are out of job because of this shit. So we will use it to pay a mortgage payment. Fucking sucks. Aaaaaaand the wife is pregnant. At least I have beer....

Sucks man, been there done that.

The year 1993. Another recession hits, and I get 1 days notice before being laid off.

I come home to the wife with one daughter already in the high chair.

WIFE:  Hey hon, how was your day ?

ME:  I was laid off.

WIFE:  Well............ that sucks... oh by the way I'm pregnant.

Fade to drunk......

It worked out, have faith, and plenty of alcohol handy.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Sucks man, been there done that.

The year 1993. Another recession hits, and I Get 1 days notice before being laid off.

I come home to the wife with one daughter in the high chair.

WIFE:  Hey hon, how was your day ?

ME:  I was laid off.

WIFE:  Well............ that sucks... oh by the way I'm pregnant.

Fade to drunk......

It worked out, have faith, and plenty of alcohol handy.

Went through a similar experience when the dot com bubble busted. We had one baby and another one on the way. Shitty feeling but it did change the trajectory of my career for the better.

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I'd like to hear about your kit here, PM another thread wherever is acceptable.

Dunno. Wife bought it off of amazon. The box got delivered today and will be on the front porch for another couple of days before I do anything with it. It’s smaller packaging than I expected for a 6x7x7 but we will see next week, and the box has a 70+ lb sticker on it. 

8 hours ago, F250 said:

Went through a similar experience when the dot com bubble busted. We had one baby and another one on the way. Shitty feeling but it did change the trajectory of my career for the better.

It's weird how things work out. It always seems so dark, and life ending, but it gets better.  It sucked for a while for sure, but if you've got anything on the ball you get thru bad times.  The wife always said, "don't worry we'll be OK...."

Being in the construction industry, every 7-10 years we seem to have dips so you kind of get used to riding the waves.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Whatever has been published so far isn't set in stone, so who knows at this point.

The Senate GOP proposal was $1200 for individuals making less than $75k, but less than $1200 if making between $75k and $99k.  Nothing after $99k (for single). 

For couples, $2400 for less than $150k.  Dunno about the phase out or max. 

$500/dependent.

And weirdly enough, the people who need it most (those w/o federal tax liability) only get $600.  Both Romney and Hawley (MO) said fuck that, it won't fly. 

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The Senate GOP proposal was $1200 for individuals making less than $75k, but less than $1200 if making between $75k and $99k.  Nothing after $99k (for single). 

$500/dependent.

And weirdly enough, the people who need it most (those w/o federal tax liability) only get $600.  Both Romney and Hawley (MO) said fuck that, it won't fly. 

Do you have a breakdown of the individuals that don't file with the IRS?  Genuine question, I'm guessing it's a strange mix

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

$500/dependent.

Surly:

quote-we-might-make-a-lot-of-money-but-w

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

My guess is that they are thinking this type of worker are kids or stay-at-home parents working a few hours here and there for extra cash while their parents/spouses are the breadwinners. I'm also pretty sure they don't fully understand how poor a large portion of our country truly is.