What would you do if the US Treasury sent you $1,000

Wally Fairway

On 4/13/2020 at 12:46 PM, Sandman said:

My deposit is pending for Wednesday but I was just made aware of the fine print. If the dependents you claimed on your taxes are over 17, you get jack shit instead of $500 each. And because they were dependents, they get jack shit as well. So much for that extra $1000. 

I think it's due to the child tax credit being less once the child hits 17 or something like that.  Which is BS for the simple fact nothing has changed with their status as most are still in school and living at home. 

19 hours ago, Sandman said:

My money was deposited today. Conveniently, the shower in my master bath is leaking and has to be gutted and redone. The quote was in the neighborhood of $2000. Fucking hell. 

I imagine a bunch of repair jobs for houses and cars are gonna cost " about $1200" or " $2400".  It's gonna be a good damn coincidence!

• Like 3

What would you do if the US Treasury sent you $2,000/month?

Representatives Tim Ryan and Ro Khanna Introduce Legislation to Send Americans Additional Cash Payments

https://timryan.house.gov/media/press-releases/representatives-tim-ryan-and-ro-khanna-introduce-legislation-send-americans

Eligibility:

• Every American adult age 16 and older making less than $130,000 annually would receive at least $2,000 per month.
  • Married couples earning less than $260,000 would receive at least $4,000 per month.
  • Qualifying families with children will receive an additional $500 per child – families will receive funds for up to three children.
  • For example, a married couple making under $260K with 3 kids would receive $5,500 per month.
  • Those who had no earnings, were unemployed, or are currently unemployed would also be eligible.
  • Those who were not eligible in 2019 or 2018 but would be eligible in 2020, could submit at least two consecutive months of paychecks to verify income eligibility.
  • The Emergency Money for the People Act also expands the program to millions more Americans who were excluded from the CARES cash rebates – such as college students and adults with disabilities who are still claimed as a dependent. The individual will receive the payment and their parent or guardian will receive the dependent credit.

1 hour ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

Representatives Tim Ryan and Ro Khanna Introduce Legislation to Send Americans Additional Cash Payments

https://timryan.house.gov/media/press-releases/representatives-tim-ryan-and-ro-khanna-introduce-legislation-send-americans

Sheeeit, I'd probably quit my job. 

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

In Texas, he weekly maximum benefit + $600, works out to $28.025 an hour, $1,121, and $4,484.00 a month. Retail, tourism, and restaurant/hospitality employees probably won't qualify for the max benefit. Perhaps some airline employees will. It would be a pay cut for most oil and gas jobs. 

I'd agree that yes in some states, yes it's a significant raise for minimum wage employees. For career types in Texas it will certainly help, but it probably won't be a raise. 

Also being laid off = no more healthcare (for most) 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Put it into my savings account yet again.  Since I still have a job and working FT, I am very lucky.  But who knows in 3-4 months. 

I am of two minds about my Free Confederate Pesos, especially if they keep spinning up an extra batch every month.

On the one hand, I definitely want some cash laid back. On the other, I remember the prices sky-rocketing back in the 70s the last time the dollar had to show on the doll where the bad man touched it. So maybe I want to invest it in a company that designs cars like the ones in Mad Max, or maybe do as is traditional in the Peso countries, and spend it as fast as I make it on gold jewelry, servants, ostentatious display, and perhaps a loud mistress or two who throws perfume bottles at my head in the small house by the local bus station where my adoring children from previous mistresses work in the maintenance shed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I think it's due to the child tax credit being less once the child hits 17 or something like that.  Which is BS for the simple fact nothing has changed with their status as most are still in school and living at home. 

But are employable and drawing unemployment if laid off. 

2 hours ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

Man, that would set us up to eliminate all non mortgage debt. I’m ‘bout it. And leave enough to add to the local economy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DallasHorn26 said:

Everyone else still getting the error message in the portal?

Yup. Status Not Available. Read this morning that it may have to do with recently filed taxes. I filed my 2019 last week, so I'm assuming that is the issue for me.

16 hours ago, Blotto said:

Was talking to a coworker whose daughter is a physical education teacher. Kind of hard to teach that online, i suppose. Her school district posted suggested physical activities for the kids online, the equivalent of a lesson plan. The kids are supposed to do them and report back online. This chick basically just grades the kids based on whether they report back that they did the exercise. Basically fully paid vacation, as it takes her 10 minutes a day. 

This sounds like on of my coaches in high school.

Meanwhile, my son's teacher is sending out and responding to emails at 7 in the morning all the way up into late in the evening.  I've been tempted to tell her to stick to the formal office hours she put out, because there's no way she can keep that pace up for another few weeks.

3 hours ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

Pump some money into Oklahoma's economy?

spacer.png

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Buddy of mine is a pharmacy manager in Oklahoma and he said his store's electronics section is a barren wasteland. TVs and gaming consoles are all gone. 

Can't find a regular Nintendo Switch anywhere.

Not that I'm looking all that hard or would spend my stimulus money on it, at least as far as my wife knows.

54 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Can't find a regular Nintendo Switch anywhere.

Not that I'm looking all that hard or would spend my stimulus money on it, at least as far as my wife knows.

Read Costco has them.  Gamestop gets shipments in too.  Just taking a while to re-stock. Waiting on some desperate schmuck to offer me $700 for mine.  I'd probably bite. 

3 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Nah, bit I only met about $4k a month, and take out the $1k in child care, if be taking a $1k pay cut to not work. I could live with that.

Of course my wife would still keep her job. ....

We can only hope. Too many of us miss her already...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This sounds like on of my coaches in high school.

Meanwhile, my son's teacher is sending out and responding to emails at 7 in the morning all the way up into late in the evening.  I've been tempted to tell her to stick to the formal office hours she put out, because there's no way she can keep that pace up for another few weeks.

WTF could people be bugging her about?  All of sudden parents are engaged in the education process?

Not buying it.  They're just needy as fuck.

17 minutes ago, Iceman said:

WTF could people be bugging her about?  All of sudden parents are engaged in the education process?

Not buying it.  They're just needy as fuck.

Ehh, my wife works for the district, there are plenty of parents who are actively involved in making sure their kids are doing something that isn't playing on the iPad or a game console.   edit: And there's plenty of parents who take it too far.

But there's also a decent chunk of parents that they cannot contact at all, or are using the packets they pick up in person.

Edited by atomheartbevo

yeah i get it. My wife works in the schools.  Once some parents found out some students were getting packets, well, by God their little snowflake needed one too... never mind that their own child has access and it ties up resources doing their bidding.  You know the kid ain't asking for it.

I cannot think of anything, save having a Senior in the college application process; that I'd be calling a teacher about that late in the day or inundating them with emails.  People truly are inconsiderate when it comes to these things.  No freaking awareness at all...

Edited by Iceman

6 minutes ago, Iceman said:

yeah i get it. My wife works in the schools.  Once some parents found out some students were getting packets, well, by God their little snowflake needed one too... never mind that their own child has access and it ties up resources doing their bidding.  You know the kid ain't asking for it.

I would be pissed if I was a kid with one of those parents.

The teachers are putting weekly assignments on BLEND (or whatever cloud app their district is using), and it's like "try and do 4 out of these 8 exercises" and there are parents who only see "do these 8 exercises!"

There's probably some kid that thinks "my parents got $500 for me, that means a Nintendo Switch and Animal Crossing" and meanwhile their parents are like "I'm going to spend $500 on homeschooling supplies so my kid is busy from 8am - 4pm

• Haha 1

Furk.  I use Turbotax.  I wonder how long I have to wait for my stimulus now...

Users of some of the nation’s most popular tax services could face delays in receiving their stimulus checks owing to flaws in the system.

The Washington Post reports that millions of people who filed their taxes using H&R Block, TurboTax, Jackson Hewitt, and other services have been unable to get their payments, since the IRS did not have direct deposit information on file.

https://fortune.com/2020/04/16/stimulus-check-portal-delays-turbotax-h-r-block-jackson-hewitt-get-my-payment-where-is-my-money-coronavirus-checks/

Furk.  I use Turbotax.  I wonder how long I have to wait for my stimulus now...

Users of some of the nation’s most popular tax services could face delays in receiving their stimulus checks owing to flaws in the system.

The Washington Post reports that millions of people who filed their taxes using H&R Block, TurboTax, Jackson Hewitt, and other services have been unable to get their payments, since the IRS did not have direct deposit information on file.

https://fortune.com/2020/04/16/stimulus-check-portal-delays-turbotax-h-r-block-jackson-hewitt-get-my-payment-where-is-my-money-coronavirus-checks/

We used TurboTax and got it yesterday. Maybe it’s a bank thing
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

Democratic Debate GIF by GIPHY News

4 hours ago, Eastwood said:

Yup. Status Not Available. Read this morning that it may have to do with recently filed taxes. I filed my 2019 last week, so I'm assuming that is the issue for me.

I'm still getting it too, but I don't fall into any of their categories on the FAQ for why this might be showing up. Basically, the IRS just sucks.

1 hour ago, dirtonia said:

Lol, a teacher is working at 7am, and in the evening?!?!  Isn’t that cute.

xoxo,

Corporate America 

Wife is a teacher, she’s at the school at 6:45 and gets home at 6 during normal times.  Then finishes up grading papers and shit around 8.   They work their ass off for the most part.  The good ones anyway 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

I'm still getting it too, but I don't fall into any of their categories on the FAQ for why this might be showing up. Basically, the IRS just sucks.

I’m getting it as well, and it’s because I’m 1099.   I’m also up in the air on PPP app right now since I filed it last week but haven’t heard if I made the cut or not.  Yay.  

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

I’m getting it as well, and it’s because I’m 1099.   I’m also up in the air on PPP app right now since I filed it last week but haven’t heard if I made the cut or not.  Yay.  

Sorry folks, money's gone. Kennedy Center out front should of told ya.

PS.....In the same boat with you. Our Credit Union (clueless) and applying with another bank (both on the 3rd) drug their feet and fucked us. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

jfc, from the amount of name dropping you throw down I assumed you were surly 1% baller

jfc, you must not watch the Treasury dept. announcements.  TODAY JUNIOR---We were told $1200 could sustain Americans through 10 weeks. Not my words. 

You really want to get into this again Sally?