ESPN running "Best of College Basketball"

Goo Punch

14 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So still no Texas basketball on tv then?

the 09/10 UNC game wouldn't be out of place, nor would the 03 regional final against MSU or the regular season win @ OU that year

or when we were an inexplicable 11 seed in 1995 and bitch-slapped Oregon in the first round

winning at Kansas in... 2011? What year was it where Jordan Hamilton was being kind of a chucklehead and we won there anyway?

Texas-Utah in Austin during the 1993-94 season, I'm not even going to explain that one if you haven't seen it

KD vs Acie Law in 2OT

KD vs OSU where we lose in 3OT (i believe that was the college game of the year)

09 when we beat Sparty at home 

The OU and UNC games Shaka's first year here 

We beat Nova back in 04 or 05 in a great game

The WVU game in the Sweet 16 

This game and the OU game later that year are the last two home games i remember with that type of atmosphere. And after that OU win, man...i was full-on uber-optimist mode. I really thought we were about to take off under Shaka Smart and never look back. 

• Like 1

this is the OU game from later that year. IIRC we went on a 19-0 run or a 22-0 run in the 2H to take the lead and then put the game away. The atmosphere at the FEC was unbelievable that day. Can't wait for Texas hoops to get back there, and beyond. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

UConn in 2011 I want to say was a nutty game. 

the Kemba shot. everyone forgets about that shit because of UCONN's unreal 11-0 run through the Big East and NCAA Tourneys, but that shot he hit against us was such a back breaker. For as many games as I've been to at the FEC as I have very few memories of us losing big games there, but that one will always stick out. 

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

this is the OU game from later that year. IIRC we went on a 19-0 run or a 22-0 run in the 2H to take the lead and then put the game away. The atmosphere at the FEC was unbelievable that day. Can't wait for Texas hoops to get back there, and beyond. 

just threw this one up on the big screen. extremely enjoyable. just start watching when we're down 58-54. It goes 22-0 Horns from there.

Also, two things that really stood out: one- well coached senior/veteran players. Felix, Ibeh, Taylor, Lammert- they look like pros compared to our current/recent players in terms of quick decision making, knowing where to be, making the right play, etc. everything for them moved very very quickly, but they were always under control. 

Second, was our offense. Yes, having Taylor helps a ton, but our off-ball movement, our play designs, our screening action, it's all totally different than anything we've been employing since we've "gone to an NBA offense". the offense was much more enjoyable back then. 

Edited by Goo Punch

No love for our road win at Pauley Pavilion in 2008?

It's one of my favorite memories as a Longhorns hoops fan. We rolled into Westwood with a bunch of seasoned sophomores and beat the No.2 team in the country in their own house.

And UCLA was stacked. I mean, fucking stacked--Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, and Darren Collison. The Bruins would earn a No.1 seed and reach the Final Four ... before losing to the same Memphis squad that knocked us out the previous round.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

The team defense and hustle in this video is amazing. Amazing. God I miss this about the brand of basketball that we used to play. Everyone is just flying around the court, contesting every pass and every shot, with three white shirts flying in for every rebound. That is what typified the teams of the greatest era of UT basketball, and I want that back. 

also, watch that video and tell me that both Justin Mason and Damion James don't look 100x better/more comfortable on the ball than pretty much any guard who's ever played for Shaka. Those are two guys who were not thought of as particularly great ball handlers, but they looked savvy and confident compared to most what we've seen these last few years.

edit to clarify: not saying that either one is a "better" ball handler than, say, Matt Coleman, it's just that I picture Coleman/Ramey/Roach/EDJ all dribbling like purposeless maniacs who have no idea what they're going to until they do it. James and Mason look calm and downright intelligent on the ball in that video. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Man Damion James was so fucking awesome. We need players like that lmao. 

honestly he's so under appreciated. he was a five star in HS back when that meant something. people thought he might be a 1-and-done back when that wasn't so typical. a lot of guys with those expectations who end up becoming a four year player might transfer, or flame out, or peak early, but he stayed for four years and just got better and better every year. he was actually the front runner for NPOY according to many pundits around Christmas time his senior year. and then there was a gas leak and everyone's memories got erased so we don't know or talk about what happened after that. 

that said, he's one of all time favorites and guys like him don't come around often enough. 

Man I love KD's passion and enthusiasm, which seems like too mike a word to even describe it. He not only runs his mouth and pounds his chest and talks shit to the opposing bench every time he hits a three right in front of them, he gets even more hyped up when his teammates do something well. Dude is truly one-of-a-kind.

2 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

I loved this team so much. 

if we hadn't lost a bunch of sophomores from the year before we might have run the table. potential roster for the 2006-07 Longhorns:

DJ Augustin

Boobie Gibson

Kevin Durant

PJ Tucker 

LaMarcus Aldridge

bench:

AJ Abrams

Damion James

Justin Mason

Connor Atchley 

damn.

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

if we hadn't lost a bunch of sophomores from the year before we might have run the table. potential roster for the 2006-07 Longhorns:

DJ Augustin

Boobie Gibson

Kevin Durant

PJ Tucker 

LaMarcus Aldridge

bench:

AJ Abrams

Damion James

Justin Mason

Connor Atchley 

damn.

Gibson Tucker and Aldridge are/were all legit NBA players. Hard to fault them for leaving. But yeah, 1 or 2 could have stayed to play with one of the greatest high school prospects of all time. 

AJ had a wide open floater to win it OT and he bricked it. i'd forgotten about that. wow. 

edit: of course he opens up OT by draining a corner three. 

and then follows it up with a perfect shot from 12 feet. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Just from watching this game - if there was anything wrong with KD that season - it's that he was too unselfish. He should have had 30 shots a game. I'm going crazy over here saying to myself HOLY SHIT JUST KEEP THE BALL AND SHOOT IT! FUCK YOUR TEAMMATES!

I feel like that probably says something about why he was able to win so much so early in his career as the main guy. He almost never shot his team out of games. It was always a team effort. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Just from watching this game - if there was anything wrong with KD that season - it's that he was too unselfish. He should have had 30 shots a game. I'm going crazy over here saying to myself HOLY SHIT JUST KEEP THE BALL AND SHOOT IT! FUCK YOUR TEAMMATES!

I feel like that probably says something about why he was able to win so much so early in his career as the main guy. He almost never shot his team out of games. It was always a team effort. 

yep. been thinking the same thing. DJ and AJ are awesome, and shouts out to KD for being unselfish, but i'm over here going, "SHOOT IT KD!!!"

annnnnd Damion James with the block for the win. dude is so awesome. 

oh wow, KD in Lubbock is up next and we started the broadcast with Bobby Knight getting quite emotional as he presented Rick Barnes with some sort of plaque before the game. Even had the Tech fans cheering for Barnes. That was a little jarring to just witness out of nowhere with no warning. anyway, this 37 and 23 isn't gonna get itself! Let's go KD!

Edited by Goo Punch

22 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

oh wow, KD in Lubbock is up next and we started the broadcast with Bobby Knight getting quite emotional as he presented Rick Barnes with some sort of plaque before the game. Even had the Tech fans cheering for Barnes. That was a little jarring to just witness out of nowhere with no warning. anyway, this 37 and 23 isn't gonna get itself! Let's go KD!

I'm sold. 6 mins to go in the 1st half.

Always thought that 37/23 was insane when poring over his college stats from time to time over the years. 

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Dunno how y'all can watch those games. They depress the shit out of me.

I mean what's happened has happened. I think it's easy to forget great teams that you enjoyed watching, or great players that have moved on to higher pursuits. 

This KD stuff is special. He's without a shadow of a doubt one of the 30 greatest players of all time, and probably somewhere similar on the greatest players to ever play in college. 

6 hours ago, Underdog said:

Negged

Lol...no Duke fan here.  I was cheering hard for that Kentucky team.  I loved Mashburn and I loved Slick Rick back then.  That was the single best college basketball game I've ever seen and I miss the game being like that. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hate said:

Lol...no Duke fan here.  I was cheering hard for that Kentucky team.  I loved Mashburn and I loved Slick Rick back then.  That was the single best college basketball game I've ever seen and I miss the game being like that. 

The Pitino era was the most fun I've had as a UK fan, teams were a joy to watch.  That loss has never really bothered me, just a great game all around and it took a perfect game from arguably the best college basketball player ever to win it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Underdog said:

The Pitino era was the most fun I've had as a UK fan, teams were a joy to watch.

This is how I feel about the VY and Colt football years or the "middle" Barnes hoops years (i.e., TJ thru DJ).

Sports make for great entertainment, and I'll often tune in just to watch a transcendent player do his thing even if it's for a team I don't like (or against my own team), but I've never--never--enjoyed watching football more than when Football Jesus was turning water into wine and breaking ankles on a weekly basis.