Coronavirus Family Drama Thread

MaybeACoordinator

Kind of like the Holidays thread, but with no enforced merriment and maybe more alcohol...

Here's mine. I am at a remove from this mess, thank God.

My 93-year-old grandmother and 60-something Aunt J live in a nursing home we'll call Santos Viejos. Aunt J has the mental age of an 8-year-old...Their primary caretakers on the outside are my Aunt C -- a sensible take-charge type who just retired after 35 years as an exec at Transco / Williams -- and her older sister, my Aunt E, who is bossy and controlling and very very confident about her total lack of common sense.

Anyway, Santos Viejos was in the process of locking the facility down late last week and Aunt C had to go to Florida for my cousin's wedding. "Every time I leave town, E screws something up with mama," she told my Aunt L later, and this was no exception. E thought it was smart to go get my grandmother and Aunt J out of Santos Viejos for a couple of days and have them stay at her house. And then SV went on total lockdown and they can't go back, indefinitely.

The classic Aunt E move would have been for her to then deposit my grandmother and Aunt J at Aunt C's house, but Aunt C doesn't have room. Don't think Aunt E didn't try that one...Anyway, now she is stuck with a frail nonagenarian and a simple-minded old lady in a 1600 sq.-ft. house along with her and her husband -- WHO JUST GOT BACK FROM A FUCKING BUSINESS TRIP TO FUCKING BRAZIL.

Way to go E, I am sure my grandmother and Aunt J are much safer there. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

The only thing I have to contribute, is that ever since a senior political leader stopped comparing it to the flu and claiming it was contained or whatever, and got serious, some of my older relatives chilled the fuck out and their urges to visit stores or restaurants every day have diminished.   These people lose their minds if they don’t get their meds on time, but give them a life-threatening illness and they want to meet up with people they haven’t seen in months or years.  

The annoying thing is these old farts lived through watching friend and family get polio, have lived through hurricane and blizzards, and generally have full pantries, closets full of game ps and jigsaw puzzles, tons of TV channels, and FaceTime and Facebook to connect with friends or chat with family.  

• Like 2

Been on my parents (late 60s, dad has survived 3 rounds of stage 4 cancer, including lung), they continue to have the grandkids over and mom running errands around town.... then last night she had a massive vomit episode and fever. Claims she’s feeling better today. Told her to call it in ASAP if fever comes back.

I THINK it woke her up, finally came around on canceling our big family bday event this wkend.

Its pretty crazy.  People who have lived full lives seemingly don't give a fuck about continuing to do so.  My mom and dad are not super old (mid late 60s) but they both seem to be going about their daily lives (shopping, eating out, etc)  My mom told me she was going to hit a couple stores tomorrow early to get meats, and any essentials (my mom doesn't eat meat)  

I'm just like - you have a walkin pantry with 30+ days of meals, a full fridge in the kitchen and a 2nd fridge in the garage loaded with frozen foods, meat, snacks, beer and wine.  What the fuck mom?  Its as though they're tempted by fate.

Edited by krevo

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Shot OF Corona........ ooooof Corona, there's a difference I bet.

No, she's deep into that Cowboy Church shit. Probably some quack in a Resistol selling blessed Jesus shots at the rodeo.

Edited by RPM
  • Haha 1

One FIL says that he's worried about Corona as he's sitting in a bar with all his friends.

Other FIL says it's being way overblown.  He works at a hospital in a non medical role.   

They are both really smart people.

None of their friends have it so "they're probably ok".

tenor.gif?itemid=12920711

Us two oldsters aren’t letting anyone in our house, including family. We will have DIL drop off any supplies if needed - we’ll spray & wipe down any packages. If we have togo into the pharmacy, Mrs. Brat has plenty of the disposable gloves & wipes to use on everything. No family Easter dinner either.

My 81 year old brother is still running his useless “errands” all over town & smoozing with store employees and even visited his daughter who babysits her 5 rugrat grandkids. He was taken aback when I said not to come in my house.

He is a UT grad with a masters and thinks he’s smarter than most everyone  else.

Jesus Harold Christ.

• Like 3

My grandfather who is 101 is still going to the grocery store by himself. I guess he said fuck it. If it’s time it’s time.

My dad 70’s is still going to the church craft groups to hang with the other olds against my moms wishes.

Greatest generation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

legit question.... unless you are mormon.   how do you have 2 FILs?

I understand a step-FIL, and I understand an Ex-FIL.... but you are casually posting about 2 FIL's like its totally normal

Wife's parents divorced.

Half my family (father’s second wife and her children) are on a different reality continuum than I am.  It has existed long before coronavirus.  They still believe it’s all a hoax or overblown.  A younger subset are going about spring break in Cancun like normal.  Their FB posts were full of fun at the beach but now they are posting selfies of themselves sick with a cold in the hotel room.   They aren’t of an age to be at risk of serious illness.  The matriarch is, however, and they all go to her house like every other weekend when in town.

11 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

"Crazy Shit Boomers are Doing to Create the Largest Wealth Transfer in History" could have also worked as a thread title.

My 91 FIL with significant CV risk factors, and lives on his own, goes to the store everyday, sometimes 2 or 3 stores - just gives him something to do. 

To answer the quoted post - my almost 89 Father is in an assisted living center, had successful abdominal aortic bypass surgery just last week and (I've posted about him in the market is falling thread) is an active aggressive investor, so he is killing a lot of the wealth that could have transferred to this boomer and my boomer brother and my Gen X brother. And although we can't visit him as they've locked out visitation, he still gets out a couple of times a week for Doctor appointments.

My grandfather and grandmother (70s) are both staying home even though my grandmother thinks it's over blown. My aunt who just had a heart transplant lives with them with her two kids is also staying put. The Church of Christ in Sanger are putting streams up on thier site so the olds don't die, thank God.

It's just a time bomb waiting to explode if they get sick.

20 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Half my family (father’s second wife and her children) are on a different reality continuum than I am.  It has existed long before coronavirus.  They still believe it’s all a hoax or overblown.  A younger subset are going about spring break in Cancun like normal.  Their FB posts were full of fun at the beach but now they are posting selfies of themselves sick with a cold in the hotel room.   They aren’t of an age to be at risk of serious illness.  The matriarch is, however, and they all go to her house like every other weekend when in town.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/psychological-reason-why-gen-x-is-taking-covid-19-pandemic-seriously.html

• Like 2

Not family, but more of a Coronavirus quarantine bitching/stupidity story.

I can start out by saying that I post here, so Obviously yes I am an a-hole.

My wife has found things for my middle school aged kids to do.  One is cooking, and she encouraged our friend Mike Newton, who had  been on Masterchef about 4 years ago, to do an online cooking class.  He is a great cook with a Texas flair. Gordon Ramsey said Mike made the best steak he had ever had on the show.  Find  Mike on facebook for his cooking class.  He has done Creme Brûlée French toast, Fancy Grilled cheese sandwiches, salmon patties, etc

So today Is steaks.  We have lot’s of stuff but not good steaks, so I go to our very convenient Tom Thumb Grocery.  It is slightly busy, but not packed and no entry control is in place.  Shelves are 75% full, but noticeably missing items in some places.  They do have TP, but I don’t need any.  The normal employees of this place seem like they passed out employee applications at Radical Larry’s school, but they always try hard.   

Driving to the store I had told myself that as I don’t think my company is going to lay me or people off, that I would tip the cashier $20 due to the times and for being there for us.  

At the meat section there are stickers saying 1 meat item per person.  There are packages with 1,2 4 cuts in them.  I am buying a watermelon, a container of juice and 2 steaks.  The filets are individually packed so I think it may be an issue, but based on my non-hoarding items I am hoping I can get through.

At checkout there is a couple ahead of me with two shopping carts over flowing with stuff.  They are wearing rubber house cleaning gloves but no other protection.  The woman is leaning around the newly installed clear breath shield to talk with Tim, the 18 year old checkout kid.  They leave and the lady in front of me with a normal weeks worth of groceries checks out.  Tim rings up her rack of ribs, her 2 pack of T-bones and a 2 lb package of hamburger.  I think I am going to be okay.  However, she has 2 of these hamburger packages, so Tim says she can only get one.  

I sense trouble in my future.  However, with only 4 items, including 2 individually packaged steaks I hope I can have common sense prevail.

I was wrong.

So Tim compares my two individually packed items, asks the cashier beside him if he can sell them to me, and then says I can only get one.  I question him about selling all of the other meat I tems to the prior person and also say that I am obviously not hoarding based on my limited items, and that I need two steaks.  Tim  is not swayed. He says he will call the manager over and I say fine, thinking this might help, but before he does I tell him to stop and that I will be right back.

I walk to the meat section and grab a 4 pack of boneless ribeye, and a 3 pack of sirloin and walk back to the still waiting line.  I tell Tim that I will take these and to put aside one of the single filets.  He does, rings it all up and I leave.

So rules over common sense prevailed, I got extra steak that another customer will not be able to purchase, and Tim did NOT get a $20 tip.

Frustrating, but I came out ahead.