Dr. Anthony Fauci Appreciation Thread

8 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

I am curious about this. You are the doctor so I am just going to assume that you know more about this stuff than I do. But if, in fact, this was a virus that had been genetically engineered/modified in a lab, then when it first got out wouldn’t it have been unbelievably helpful in the fight against it if we knew the “recipe“ that went into making the virus?  I have to believe it would have been incredibly helpful in the making of the vaccines.  I also have no idea but I would have to assume that the lab ran all kinds of tests on the virus and how it might affect people.  Would the lab scientists have known that it would have a devastating impact on respiratory systems?  Wouldn’t that kind of knowledge have been extremely helpful in mitigating the disaster that it became?

this was the test run for Fauci's theory/work.  90+% vaccine in record time, amirite?

79 year long game...got to hand it to the guy.

Edited by dcar00

1 minute ago, sheeeit said:

I am curious about this. You are the doctor so I am just going to assume that you know more about this stuff than I do. But if, in fact, this was a virus that had been genetically engineered/modified in a lab, then when it first got out wouldn’t it have been unbelievably helpful in the fight against it if we knew the “recipe“ that went into making the virus?  I have to believe it would have been incredibly helpful in the making of the vaccines.  I also have no idea but I would have to assume that the lab ran all kinds of tests on the virus and how it might affect people.  Would the lab scientists have known that it would have a devastating impact on respiratory systems?  Wouldn’t that kind of knowledge have been extremely helpful in mitigating the disaster that it became?

No - absolutely not.  You think we have a much better handle on viruses than we do.  They didn't use some 'recipe' to make this virus from scratch.  They played around with a virus that was in existence.  It's incredibly hard to have any virus spread like this - giving humans way too much credit to think we built this sucker from scratch.  They studied what was there - maybe they modified it...99% of the time when we, as humans, try to modify a virus, we'll fuck it up...meaning it may end up more or less deadly but it will lose it's ability to spread like crazy.  When a virus in the 'wild' starts to spread the most virulent strains win out...there's millions...more like billions of different mutations that may fail before one or two catch on and spread.  We simply can't modify that quickly/efficiently. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

I have to believe it would have been incredibly helpful in the making of the vaccines.

You mean these vaccines, which seem to be extremely effective, that have been developed and deployed faster than any vaccine ever made before?

Hmmm...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Not at all.  Either Fauci lied to Cuomo or Cuomo should go to jail.   If all of the articles that you linked to were out there in the main stream conversations regarding Covid, then how is it even possible that Cuomo and other governors sent infected people to nursing homes?

do you think that it is realistic that Cuomo asked Fauci what should be done and that Fauci said we should keep the disease as far away as possible from elderly people as they are the most likely to suffer from it and then Cuomo made a directive one week later to send infected people to nursing homes?

Fauci said NY handled the crisis “properly” and “correctly”.  

I can obviously read your links and they actually make Fauci look more like an inept person.  Again, if all of this was very common knowledge at the time, why in the hell would Fauci give advice to Cuomo that resulted in Cuomo directing infected people to go to nursing homes?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

No - absolutely not.  You think we have a much better handle on viruses than we do.  They didn't use some 'recipe' to make this virus from scratch.  They played around with a virus that was in existence.  It's incredibly hard to have any virus spread like this - giving humans way too much credit to think we built this sucker from scratch.  They studied what was there - maybe they modified it...99% of the time when we, as humans, try to modify a virus, we'll fuck it up...meaning it may end up more or less deadly but it will lose it's ability to spread like crazy.  When a virus in the 'wild' starts to spread the most virulent strains win out...there's millions...more like billions of different mutations that may fail before one or two catch on and spread.  We simply can't modify that quickly/efficiently. 

I may not have been clear but I never meant to suggest that they created a new virus. My understanding is that they looked at existing viruses and made some sort of modification to them to see what would happen.  

Is that not correct?  Surely there is some type of record keeping on the ways in which the existing viruses were modified?  There had to of been all kinds of experiments and results of how the virus mutated and infected.

I get it that once it is out it is extremely hard to contain. However, if the exact genome (if that is the correct term) of the virus was made public by the lab as soon as it was known that it had leaked, I have to believe that the disaster could have been significantly reduced. 

8 minutes ago, F250 said:

The Fauci Facebook fueled hate is one of the weirder side effects of the Trump era.

Just really fucking weird. I get the political machinations driving the attack but I don't understand how any functional adult could sign up for the hate wagon.

You have to have a really fucking broken brain to put forth the effort to echo these talking points with passion.

Yet none of the Daily Texans in this thread find it too good to be true that the most visible antagonist of Trump over the past year is suddenly being revealed to be the mastermind behind the entire virus in a years-long global conspiracy.  A fact only being reported by the most biased of right wing news outlets.

The critical thinking skills in this country are embarrassing.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

Not at all.  Either Fauci lied to Cuomo or Cuomo should go to jail.   If all of the articles that you linked to were out there in the main stream conversations regarding Covid, then how is it even possible that Cuomo and other governors sent infected people to nursing homes?

do you think that it is realistic that Cuomo asked Fauci what should be done and that Fauci said we should keep the disease as far away as possible from elderly people as they are the most likely to suffer from it and then Cuomo made a directive one week later to send infected people to nursing homes?

Fauci said NY handled the crisis “properly” and “correctly”.  

I can obviously read your links and they actually make Fauci look more like an inept person.  Again, if all of this was very common knowledge at the time, why in the hell would Fauci give advice to Cuomo that resulted in Cuomo directing infected people to go to nursing homes?

Putting aside your irrelevant bullshit on Cuomo, you want to take a minute and apologize? Because, I clearly did not lie. I provided a variety of links, not only from the government and the CDC, but from main stream news and major hospitals showing that the medical community was well aware that covid had a greater risk profile for the elderly as of mid March 2020. In fact, if you'd like, I can also pull posts from this website, including from me, that show we were discussing that fact in March and probably in February as well. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if you responded to some of those posts. 

As to Cuomo, I have no idea why New York did what it did. I'd guess largely incompetence and panic. But it wasn't because Fauci or any medical authority told them the disease wasn't worse for the elderly.  

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

If it comes to light that Faucci knew early that this was a genetically altered variant, then you can say Trump went ass over teakettle all the way down the stairs, still doesn't counter that this was a genetically modified strain created under funding FROM Faucci under the nose of the administration after the previous shut him down for the very dangers discussed on these emails.  As always, the cover up outweighs the crime....

There are emails showing that this research started in ‘15, meaning he went under Obama and Trump’s noses on it.    Dude is fucked

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

I may not have been clear but I never meant to suggest that they created a new virus. My understanding is that they looked at existing viruses and made some sort of modification to them to see what would happen.  

Is that not correct?  Surely there is some type of record keeping on the ways in which the existing viruses were modified?  There had to of been all kinds of experiments and results of how the virus mutated and infected.

I get it that once it is out it is extremely hard to contain. However, if the exact genome (if that is the correct term) of the virus was made public by the lab as soon as it was known that it had leaked, I have to believe that the disaster could have been significantly reduced. 

Viruses are insanely complex and I'd be shocked if they were able to track them all.  Bacteria and virus are two very different beasts when it comes to treatment/studying.  Definitely good questions though and I'm giving a half ass explanation - a virologist could explain what I'm trying to say much more clearly, I'm assuming. 

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

moved thread to cloak room because cloak room

Why’d you put this thread in the Wuhan lab part of the website?

The discussion started with natural origins, now its gonna be lysol’ed to death

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

There are emails showing that this research started in ‘15, meaning he went under Obama and Trump’s noses on it.    Dude is fucked

I knew several people fired from Moffitt Cancer Center in FL, from CEO down.  They were taking NIH funding and then working with China and even sharing some results.  They all got shitcanned quicklike...can be very tempting because the Chinese are known to pay well for a lot of this type of research they don't do on their own - they'll use others to get to third base then put a nice bunt down to get home.  Not saying Fauci did this but there's been LOTS of people get snagged lately in this type of shit.  Fucking China will do anything to get ahead...

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I knew several people fired from Moffitt Cancer Center in FL, from CEO down.  They were taking NIH funding and then working with China and even sharing some results.  They all got shitcanned quicklike...can be very tempting because the Chinese are known to pay well for a lot of this type of research they don't do on their own - they'll use others to get to third base then put a nice bunt down to get home.  Not saying Fauci did this but there's been LOTS of people get snagged lately in this type of shit.  Fucking China will do anything to get ahead...

No doubt.   They are horrific actors on the global stage, in Every. Single. Facet.    

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Viruses are insanely complex and I'd be shocked if they were able to track them all.  Bacteria and virus are two very different beasts when it comes to treatment/studying.  Definitely good questions though and I'm giving a half ass explanation - a virologist could explain what I'm trying to say much more clearly, I'm assuming. 

Understood and appreciate your insights.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yet none of the Daily Texans in this thread find it too good to be true that the most visible antagonist of Trump over the past year is suddenly being revealed to be the mastermind behind the entire virus in a years-long global conspiracy.  A fact only being reported by the most biased of right wing news outlets.

the same places the Lab "conspiracy" was reported by/relegated to...speaking of critical thinking skills.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean- nobody likes seeing him sit on the house floor saying he doesn’t know where the origin of covid came from even though after a revelation of emails showing he knew damn well where it came from and his institution funded. I can see why FDS is real. But that’s after the devastating impacts his words and recommendations, as the leading infectious disease expert of the country, left on businesses.

It’s really fucking weird how none of the cloak roomers have any disdain for fauci. Yea I’m sure WIV took the NIH money and said there won’t be any GOF research from the grant.

giphy.gif

Chinas covid charts are the biggest joke next to fauci and you see nothing wrong with it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the same places the Lab "conspiracy" was reported by/relegated to...speaking of critical thinking skills.

In a May 11 Senate hearing, Paul raised the issue of the origins of SARS-CoV-2 and said some in the government weren’t interested in investigating the lab-leak theory. The Kentucky senator said that “government authorities, self-interested in continuing gain-of-function research say there’s nothing to see here.” He went on to assert a tie between U.S. researchers and the Wuhan Institute of Virology and accused them of “juicing up super-viruses,” asking Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, if he still supported “the NIH funding of the lab in Wuhan.”

Fauci responded that “the NIH has not ever and does not now fund gain-of-function research in the Wuhan Institute of Virology.”

In a subsequent interview on “Fox & Friends” on May 13, Paul said he didn’t know whether SARS-CoV-2 came from a lab. “Nobody knows,” he said. But he posited that if it did, Fauci, among others, “could be culpable for the entire pandemic,” adding, “I’m not saying that happened. I don’t know.”

4 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I just don’t understand this constant need for outrage and blame that so many of my fellow citizens have.  It was a fucking pandemic.  It happens frequently, in the big scheme of things.   Mistakes were made by many.  

now this is funny. I say "bravo my good sir!"

• Haha 3

I listened to Fauci and am damn glad I did.  He was the only adult in the room in a time of world-changing anxiety. 

I did what he said early on and my family has been covid free so far.  

I'm glad he was around.  I could not care less about the political games that have been circulating for over a year.  

I don't think he's perfect.  But he helped me and a lot of people get through this.  I'm glad he was around.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

yep and many people of all stripes gave it to them(an continue to) on a silver platter over the last 50 years.

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

(responding to onboard though not sure it makes a difference)

Yeah but you’re getting that stuff from the same sources of information that cause you to get consistently dunked on. You guys are posting fragments from his 90 billion emails that have been selected for you by the same idiots who think Hillary eats babies in a pizza dungeon and then breathlessly ending your sentences with ellipses. If we get that Fauci allowed half a million Americans to die needlessly to cover up his shady nefariousness, got damn. But you don’t got it.

Exactly.  Unfortunately, as exhibited on other threads, BabaYaga is completely immersed in right-wing alt-reality.

Kristian Andersen in Nature, March 17, 2020:

Our analyses clearly show that SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus.

https://www.nature.com/articles/S41591-020-0820-9

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Putting aside your irrelevant bullshit on Cuomo, you want to take a minute and apologize? Because, I clearly did not lie. I provided a variety of links, not only from the government and the CDC, but from main stream news and major hospitals showing that the medical community was well aware that covid had a greater risk profile for the elderly as of mid March 2020. In fact, if you'd like, I can also pull posts from this website, including from me, that show we were discussing that fact in March and probably in February as well. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if you responded to some of those posts. 

As to Cuomo, I have no idea why New York did what it did. I'd guess largely incompetence and panic. But it wasn't because Fauci or any medical authority told them the disease wasn't worse for the elderly.  

Sure. Sorry for the word choice.  

But the Cuomo stuff is not irrelevant. In fact it is incredibly relevant because it is where the theoretical and the actual met up.  

We are specifically talking about Fauci here. What you are suggesting simply just does not add up. I am happy to stipulate that the CDC and parts of the medical community were aware that the disease was far more deadly to elderly people in mid March. Presumably Fauci was also aware of that. Cuomo, and other governors, have used the defense that they were following federal guidelines when they made the decision to send people to nursing homes and Cuomo said he personally spoke about it to Fauci on numerous occasions.

I am having an extremely hard time agreeing that Fauci counseled Cuomo and other governors to not send infected people to nursing homes in mid March. I feel this way because Fauci was the main contact for the Governors in their efforts to control the virus and many of them did, in fact, direct their states to send infected people to nursing homes.  I suppose it is possible that Fauci told them that doing that would be the absolute worst thing that they could do and they just did it anyway on their own. However, if that were the case, then why didn’t Fauci come out and publicly tell them that what they were doing was going to get lots of old people killed? And further, once it was very public that many states were sending infected people to nursing homes, Fauci still went on record and said that New York’s response was one of the best in the country. It is just not plausible at all that Fauci gave them the direction that sending people to nursing homes was a horrible idea.  I think it is much more likely that Fauci downplayed the significance of sending people to nursing homes in mid March.  Because he was the one advising the governors, they did send people to nursing homes, Fauci did not publicly tell them this was a bad move and, ultimately, he praised the very governor that did this by saying his response was proper.

12 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I listened to Fauci and am damn glad I did.  He was the only adult in the room in a time of world-changing anxiety. 

I did what he said early on and my family has been covid free so far.  

I'm glad he was around.  I could not care less about the political games that have been circulating for over a year.  

I don't think he's perfect.  But he helped me and a lot of people get through this.  I'm glad he was around.

I did everything he said and I got the shit, while spending 18 hours/day in the hospital with my NICU bound newborn.   

6 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

But the Cuomo stuff is not irrelevant. In fact it is incredibly relevant because it is where the theoretical and the actual met up.  

We are specifically talking about Fauci here. What you are suggesting simply just does not add up. I am happy to stipulate that the CDC and parts of the medical community were aware that the disease was far more deadly to elderly people in mid March. Presumably Fauci was also aware of that. Cuomo, and other governors, have used the defense that they were following federal guidelines when they made the decision to send people to nursing homes and Cuomo said he personally spoke about it to Fauci on numerous occasions.

I am having an extremely hard time agreeing that Fauci counseled Cuomo and other governors to not send infected people to nursing homes in mid March. I feel this way because Fauci was the main contact for the Governors in their efforts to control the virus and many of them did, in fact, direct their states to send infected people to nursing homes.  I suppose it is possible that Fauci told them that doing that would be the absolute worst thing that they could do and they just did it anyway on their own. However, if that were the case, then why didn’t Fauci come out and publicly tell them that what they were doing was going to get lots of old people killed? And further, once it was very public that many states were sending infected people to nursing homes, Fauci still went on record and said that New York’s response was one of the best in the country. It is just not plausible at all that Fauci gave them the direction that sending people to nursing homes was a horrible idea.  I think it is much more likely that Fauci downplayed the significance of sending people to nursing homes in mid March.  Because he was the one advising the governors, they did send people to nursing homes, Fauci did not publicly tell them this was a bad move and, ultimately, he praised the very governor that did this by saying his response was proper.

Assuming the shit salad you typed above was even close to correct, why did we not have a competent CEO in place, you know, like a president, who could fix these sort of fuck ups by people like Reagan who appointed Fauci?   You should have demanded to speak to the manager, Karen!

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

9 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

Where do you get the idea that Fauci was directly advising governors?

Or played any role in the nursing home disaster?

One thing I do see that seems credible is that Fauci and the Cuomo family had an existing friendly relationship.

No one apparently knew what Cuomo was doing with nursing homes until after the fact.  While Fauci has/had criticized ongoing or upcoming policies by governors, I don't recall him ever piling on after their policies failed.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I did everything he said and I got the shit, while spending 18 hours/day in the hospital with my NICU bound newborn.   

I wore a mask when someone said I had to, my family was the same way pretty much.  washed our hands normally, met with friends outside, we didn't lysol groceries and packages. we went to work/college/stores/restaurants when open.  acted mostly normal but obviously couldn't go certain places.  no one got it.

5 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Assuming the shit salad you typed above was even close to correct, why did we not have a competent CEO in place, you know, like a president, who could fix these sort of fuck ups by people like Reagan who appointed Fauci?   You should have demanded to speak to the manager, Karen!

Are you drunk again!  Reagan?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

I wore a mask when someone said I had to, my family was the same way pretty much.  washed our hands normally, met with friends outside, we didn't lysol groceries and packages. we went to work/college/stores/restaurants when open.  acted mostly normal but obviously couldn't go certain places.  no one got it.

Good for you.  You were not part of the 595,000 or so people in the US that died, not to mention those who still have after effects from catching it.  The good news is there is still hope, that if you wish your way forward you might be ok.  

8 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I know. why didn't Obama fire Fauci after he shut it down and Fauci ramped it up again on Obama's watch?

8 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

Fauci ascended to his current position in 1984.  Checking notes, that was during the Reagan administration.

It is not a position appointed by the President, however.  Well, check that, maybe it is.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Good for you.  You were not part of the 595,000 or so people in the US that died, not to mention those who still have after effects from catching it.  The good news is there is still hope, that if you wish your way forward you might be ok.  

thanks.  I thought this thread was about recounting stories of how Fauci saved our lives.

4 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

Are you a trollish moron?

Dr. Fauci was appointed Director of NIAID in 1984. He oversees an extensive research portfolio of basic and applied research to prevent, diagnose, and treat established infectious diseases such as HIV/AIDS, respiratory infections, diarrheal diseases, tuberculosis and malaria as well as emerging diseases such as Ebola and Zika. NIAID also supports research on transplantation and immune-related illnesses, including autoimmune disorders, asthma and allergies. The NIAID budget for fiscal year 2021 is an estimated $6.1 billion.

I guess Obama was President then?  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I know. why didn't Obama fire Fauci after he shut it down and Fauci ramped it up again on Obama's watch?

Maybe because he was a somewhat competent leader.   Let me walk you through a timeline of my adult life.  Turned 18 in 1984.  AIDS pandemic, and the 1987 crash.  President?  Reagan.  Who appointed Fauci.  Made some headway in the 1990s.  Clinton got a blowjob.  Cue 2000.  9/11 and another financial crash.  President?  Bush.  War!  Lots of war, predicated on sketchy rumors and intelligence (not happening now!).  2007 and 2008, another financial crash.  President?  Bush.   Do you understand, in your little pea brain, where this is going?  We are now discussing another global fuckup, overseen by another Republican President.  

if you google this "gain of function" stuff, it's completely right wing nutbar shit.

It seems to have mostly been cooked up by Rand fucking Paul and Tucker fucking Carlson.

Here's a non-hysterical, but grotesquely biased source that makes no conclusion whatever on gain of function research. https://thefederalist.com/2021/06/02/emails-show-fauci-downplayed-funding-gain-of-function-research-at-wuhan-lab/

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Do you have a source for this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/05/25/fauci-admits-nih-funding-of-wuhan-lab-denies-gain-of-function/amp/

Yea you can’t study bats in fairfax county Virginia because I guess there’s too many rules and restrictions. The honest guys in China will handle it…then blame it on the bats if it escapes.

That’s the plan. Ready break!

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

if you google this "gain of function" stuff, it's completely right wing nutbar shit.

It seems to have mostly been cooked up by Rand fucking Paul and Tucker fucking Carlson.

Precisely.  Outrage of the day, fed to you from the right-wing outrage machine, that loves to blame anyone but the shitheaps they elect, because, the shitheaps talk like them!

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Wasn't it introduced here by a "both sides" poster?

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/05/25/fauci-admits-nih-funding-of-wuhan-lab-denies-gain-of-function/amp/

Yea you can’t study bats in fairfax county Virginia because I guess there’s too many rules and restrictions. The honest guys in China will handle it…then blame it on the bats if it escapes.

That’s the plan. Ready break!

So is Fauci perp-walked before or after Trump gets reinstated in August?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tigol said:

Wasn't it introduced here by a "both sides" poster?

I dunno.

Apparently, the facts are that $600k was sent to Wuhan for research.  It may or may not have been GOF research and it may or may not have been know to Fauci or any other US officials.

600k is a drop in the bucket for biotech research.