My Brilliant Friend (HBO)

htown85

Did anyone watch Season 1?  Excellent show, and something the wife can get behind which makes for great quarantine TV.  Sepinwall put it in his top 5 of 2018 but I don’t think I’ve talked to anyone who has actually watched it other than my wife and me.

Season 2 premiered last night.

yes, thoroughly enjoyed the first season.  very good, and well done show.  even spent some time recomposing richter's theme for the score myself.

season 2 is off to a promising start.  lila is going to try and sow discontent between to solaras and stefano and blow the whole world up.  lila as agent provocateur is when it is at its best.  i'm about ready for antonio to get shipped off to the army though.  getting tired of his whiny ass.  let lenu transition to her renewed pursuit of nino.  first episode was a pretty tough reminder of what marriage too often looked like not that long ago in the western world (and still in much of the world). 

• 3 weeks later...

It is getting to be a bit of a stretch the extent to which Lenu allows Lila to so egregiously manipulate her. Lila hasn’t done anything remotely redeeming in Lenu’s world in months. Lila spitefully and so transparently reminding Lenu that she could take even Nino from her if she wanted on the heels of so directly mocking her coming home from the party should have boiled over. Real life Lenu would have gone postal by now. 

• 2 years later...

After slogging through COVID and the peak TV era, I am completely burned out on TV. I can’t even fake interest when hearing about the latest great TV show. Been reading a ton and watching movies, baseball, and golf.

However - for whatever reason, this show is the one exception. I suppose it’s a combination of world building, the time periods, Italy, and just being really well done. I can’t really describe why I like it, but this is the only TV show I set aside time to watch these days. And it’s even weirder I don’t know anyone outside of my wife and I who watch it, and I almost never see anything about it online - especially for being an HBO show.

Bummed there is only 1 more episode left this season. It has been great (on par with seasons 1-2).