Post Coronavirus Trips

One would think there should be some bargains to be had both domestically and international if the  worst case scenario threats begin to subside (or never materializes)  in July or August.   I still think I'd stay away from some of  the current  hot spots and stay close to home.   Mexico (Cabo or Puerto Vallarta)  or name your Caribbean Island via Air and not a cruise look like an option.    And not an all inclusive, but maybe a boutique type hotel or an Airbnb???     Although some of those all inclusive resorts ,  if they are hurting might be putting together some  packages which are too good not to pass on.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

We have some simple domestic vacation travel planned in July-August -- trip to Laguna, to Kissimmee (to meet friends from Norway), and a beach house in Texas in August.  Right now, I wouldn't be surprised if the only thing that goes forward is the Texas beach house.

At this point, I'm worried about whether my daughter will be able to travel back to Canada for college in the fall.  Sigh.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

A lot of us had to cancel vacations due to Coronavirus.

In order to be more positive, what are you thinking about post-Coronavirus.

I am hoping the worst is over in 3 months and I can take most of September off. If that is the case, I am thinking Paris, South and Southwest France.

Buying Italy and evicting everyone. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NAVY said:

Well if we can avoid the Saviors, me and the fam may head out to trade with Alexandria and the Hilltop. We also hear the Kingdom has movies and is lovely this time of year. 

GET IN THE HOUSE CARL 

I have a wedding to go to in Madrid on October 31st.

I'm hoping that that's still on, but due to elderly family, if gatherings are still limited in size, I might have to watch online.

Other than that, I was hoping to go over a little early and finally meet (meat?) a single mom in Mannheim who I've been casually interacting with for a few years. She's kind of a mess, so I'm thinking that it could be a lot of fun.

On 3/18/2020 at 12:23 PM, Parliament said:
On 3/18/2020 at 11:25 AM, Liquor and Poker said:
Buying Italy and evicting everyone. 

There may not be anyone to evict. We can just recolonize.

Wondering if my Argentine citizenship would give me special rights to "repatriate".

I don't have a drop of Italian blood, nor is anyone else in my family even Argentine, but with about 55%+ of the country being of Italian descent, they may just open the doors to "us", because we know how things work and wouldn't have to culturally adapt.

If my lady friend is able to visit from England in October, we'll be doing a road trip to Sedona, AZ, by way of Santa Fe.  The Grand Canyon will be on the agenda.  If travel restrictions aren't lifted by then, we'll go whenever she can get over here. 

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Wondering if my Argentine citizenship would give me special rights to "repatriate".

I don't have a drop of Italian blood, nor is anyone else in my family even Argentine, but with about 55%+ of the country being of Italian descent, they may just open the doors to "us", because we know how things work and wouldn't have to culturally adapt.

Is that because you're a Nazi?

13 minutes ago, futureman said:

you could probably go to big bend right now, couldn’t you?  hell, that doesn’t seem like a bad idea. 

Too many public stops along the way for me.  Unless you did it straight camping style, which I don't do...although I may have to start.

Wife and oldest daughter were doing Machu Pichu in June. That'll most likely be pushed to '21.  I was going to take the youngest to the Bahamas as a consolidation vacation since we didn't think she was quite old enough to do that 9 day trip. I have rebooked the Bahamas SWA flights since they dropped from $500 to $150.  I'll probably end up pushing that one to August (hopefully) and take the whole family.  We'll probably all go to Peru next summer.

3 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Is that because you're a Nazi?

Well, I have a lot of German heritage, but I missed out on the Nazi thing by about a half century, and that was the Jewish side. The Christian Germans came over well before the Yids. All my peeps came from Europe directly to what is now the U.S. in the 200 years before Ellis Island. 

Mom one side I think that we’ve been in Texas for about 100 years, but I’m the only one who can actually speak Spanish. (My sister can mash some words together to sound polite, but she can’t speak it.)

We just don’t have Hispanic or Italian heritage. In Argentina I was mistaken for an Italian on occasion, but I also was thought to be Germán, Polish, and Ukrainian, but never English or American. 

I’m an enigma. 

I'm supposed to be in Rosemary Beach the first week of June with two other families.  Current plan is to fly, but if domestic flights are restricted at that time I figure we can drive.  And if restaurants are closed, then we can always buy groceries and make our food at home.  But the big question is whether they'll shut down the beach, which would essentially kill that vacation.

We had just gotten companion pass and the lady friend had just gotten her passport. We got a Cabo trip in right before the bat shit hit the fan, so I'm grateful she got to experience Mexico for the first time. We had a bunch of weekend plans lined up that will have to be postponed, but here's what is on the agenda: 

Chicago

NOLA

Belize 

Playa 

Pacific NW

• 1 year later...

speaking of no planning, I talked to my Navy son today, asked if Hawaii is open, and he said you don't have to quarantine if you have a negative test. (we're both vaccinated) Poor kid, single, 24, and stationed in Hawaii.  Boom! a couple of hours later I am booked, using miles to get there and some wallet funds in Alaska Airlines to leave HNL to arrive in DFW. 

I am crashing at his apartment.  I haven't been to Hawaii since 1988.  Did all the touristy stuff then, so not particularly interested.  Just want to stick my toes in the Pacific again and spend some time with him.  Would like to take him out to a really nice meal.  Any ideas?  

Trip isn't until late June.  

Edited by orangecat92
time frame