Bosch Season Six, April 17th

PilotsError

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, demos said:

Clearly you haven’t read the books or watched the show before.

I’ve read all the books and watched the entire show. The Overlook is somewhat an outlier to Connelly’s usual fare. 

Also, Dark and Sacred Night is another basis of the season which, I believe, is Renee Ballard’s 1st appearance. i like her character. I can’t find Any casting info though. 

Edited by TonyTexas

One of the things I like most about this show/books (Haven't read them) is that pretty much all the characters are mostly likable. I even remember thinking back in season 1 when they introduced the daughter that she would just end up being an annoying side character who would slow the show down by being an issue for Bosch to take care of....but nope, shes a bad-ass who just supported her dad pretty much the whole way.

I was commenting to the wife that shows like this walk a fine line with the acting where it's hard to know if a character is bad at hiding their actions in the story, or if the actor isn't up to the job. Same with the dialog. It's not until more of the story is revealed that you can look back and realize that it was story driven, not bad acting.

i'm finished, so i'm gonna spoiler just in case:

i liked this season, but some stuff that bothered me in previous seasons really bothered me a lot this season.  mainly it's (1) the way they deviate from the "main" case, and (2) where they choose to take the story.  there are always 2-3 other plotlines going on underneath the main investigation, whatever that is.  but a few times the secondary investigations take over the story a little too much, and the focus shifts to cases i'm just not that interested in.

last season (or two seasons ago?) all the stuff with bosch's mother took over the story, and it wasn't my favorite.  this season, i really liked the doctor, the wife, the fed, the cesium, and especially - the sovereigns.  the first few episodes were great for this.  but then the secondary cases came in, and really overtook the show for 4 episodes - j.edgar's side case with the crooked cops, the jamaican/haitian guys, and the cop's dead son.  and bosch's junkie's daughter's murder investigation.  i feel like it's typically something like this - something personal to bosch, that takes his focus away from the main case.

in s6, they went away from the sovereigns for a few episodes entirely, which left the story feeling a little disjointed.  they ended an episode (4 i think) with someone assembling a bomb.  and then we don't revisit that for 2-3 episodes.  we see the black sovereign dude basically threaten maddie outside of the station, and then that goes away, and the next time bosch sees him, they're almost cool with each other.  didn't ring true to me.

and what sucks, is that the daughter's murder/extortion scheme with the johns/investigation revealing a child sex trafficking ring - would've made for its own great season headliner.  but since it was just a secondary plot this season, they kinda rushed through it.  we see the blonde dude in ep9, he turns states in ep10, then they cut to the house where the girls were kept as they're bringing out the bad guys.  they glossed over the whole thing in order to have time to focus on the bomb at the courthouse - again, have to tie up the main plot.  at least it drops at once, so if you binge it, it shouldn't really bother you, but not sure they could get away with that in a week-to-week format.

also the end of irving's mayoral campaign seemed a little rushed and silly.  oh well, sad that this is ending next season.  we shall miss you, harry.

Edited by henrygandorf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

Irving is a huge asshole and J Edgar is fairly worthless as a partner in the books.  I like the show versions better.

I'm like the way the last couple of seasons have given J. Edgar more of his own arc ... and the Bennet barbs he takes ("Jed") was awesome. Same with Irving - much more likable in the show than the books ... in which he should have been played by the asshole Captain from The Wire.

25 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i'm finished, so i'm gonna spoiler just in case:

Reveal hidden contents

i liked this season, but some stuff that bothered me in previous seasons really bothered me a lot this season.  mainly it's (1) the way they deviate from the "main" case, and (2) where they choose to take the story.  there are always 2-3 other plotlines going on underneath the main investigation, whatever that is.  but a few times the secondary investigations take over the story a little too much, and the focus shifts to cases i'm just not that interested in.

last season (or two seasons ago?) all the stuff with bosch's mother took over the story, and it wasn't my favorite.  this season, i really liked the doctor, the wife, the fed, the cesium, and especially - the sovereigns.  the first few episodes were great for this.  but then the secondary cases came in, and really overtook the show for 4 episodes - j.edgar's side case with the crooked cops, the jamaican/haitian guys, and the cop's dead son.  and bosch's junkie's daughter's murder investigation.  i feel like it's typically something like this - something personal to bosch, that takes his focus away from the main case.

in s6, they went away from the sovereigns for a few episodes entirely, which left the story feeling a little disjointed.  they ended an episode (4 i think) with someone assembling a bomb.  and then we don't revisit that for 2-3 episodes.  we see the black sovereign dude basically threaten maddie outside of the station, and then that goes away, and the next time bosch sees him, they're almost cool with each other.  didn't ring true to me.

and what sucks, is that the daughter's murder/extortion scheme with the johns/investigation revealing a child sex trafficking ring - would've made for its own great season headliner.  but since it was just a secondary plot this season, they kinda rushed through it.  we see the blonde dude in ep9, he turns states in ep10, then they cut to the house where the girls were kept as they're bringing out the bad guys.  they glossed over the whole thing in order to have time to focus on the bomb at the courthouse - again, have to tie up the main plot.  at least it drops at once, so if you binge it, it shouldn't really bother you, but not sure they could get away with that in a week-to-week format.

also the end of irving's mayoral campaign seemed a little rushed and silly.  oh well, sad that this is ending next season.  we shall miss you, harry.

The tend to weave 2-3 books / season, so even the Daisy Clayton storyline is a separate book (I've read them all but cannot keep them straight). Last season, his mother's storyline I believe was "The Last Coyote." They do not really group them in the TV show by series order, so sometimes a book written in 1995 gets juxtaposed with one written in 2015, so they blend some of the macro details.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kyle said:

The tend to weave 2-3 books / season, so even the Daisy Clayton storyline is a separate book (I've read them all but cannot keep them straight). Last season, his mother's storyline I believe was "The Last Coyote." They do not really group them in the TV show by series order, so sometimes a book written in 1995 gets juxtaposed with one written in 2015, so they blend some of the macro details.

yeah, i figured it was something like that.  that makes sense.

• Like 1

The cast was live-tweeting the previous seasons recently.  In the bank robbery scene, Connelly tweeted that the location folks rented a mostly vacant strip mall in the tiny city of San Fernando for that scene.   Between takes, a SF cop was bullshitting with Connelly, and says "hey, Harry should come to work for us...we've got a ton of unsolved cases and we keep the boxes in a jail cell".  Connelly's like WTF, so the cop walks him over to the station  and shows him the cell.  That's how Harry came to work for City of San Fernando.

• Like 1

Wife and I loved this show. Watched it in 2 nights. We also love the views from the Hills.The house from the television series Bosch is located at 1870 Blue Heights Drive in Hollywood Hills West. The best views of the structure can be seen from the 1600 block of Viewmont Drive and the 8800 block of Hollywood Boulevard.

7 hours ago, RPM said:

That is a beautiful house. It's gonna look like shit after the earthquake. Seriously, who buys a house built on the side of a cliff in Southern California?

Connelly weaves real-world events into the books. The house gets severely damaged in one of the books. He gets it fixed I think - gets condemned but ultimately repaired I think. Need to see how much that bad boy is on the rolls for.

• Fuck You 1

54 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

really sad next season is the last.  I love the show, and feel like it is a pretty solid adaptation of the books.  I wish they would have spaced it out just a bit more as they have generally combined 2 or more books into a 10 episode season.  It's a top 5 show for me.  

Agreed. One of my favorites as well. Great characters, actors and story lines. I will be sad when it's gone. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great finale to a great season.  Questions:

Might have missed it (bourbon) but I think Trudeau goes from killing the CI in one scene, then to sneaking  into Avril's house and getting axed?  So was he there to kill Avril because he was a snitch, or did Avril bring him there to kill him to snuff out witnesses?   Since Avril was packed up I thought the latter, but it's not clear.

The J Edgard close with Bosch will be a theme in the final season.  I like the JE breaking bad turn.  Should be interesting, Bosch will be a hypocrite to question it

Also I didn't read the books; why did African American parents name their son after Hoover?  I don't recall him being a bastion of African American rights.

Edited by Mach 1