Bosch Season Six, April 17th

PilotsError

On 4/23/2020 at 6:24 AM, Kyle said:

Connelly weaves real-world events into the books. The house gets severely damaged in one of the books. He gets it fixed I think - gets condemned but ultimately repaired I think. Need to see how much that bad boy is on the rolls for.

Yep.  Damaged and rebuilt, with an escape hatch in the master bedroom floor

On 4/23/2020 at 6:46 AM, RPM said:

Sold for $1.25M in 2010. Zillow estimate is $1.64M - $2.09M.

zillow estimates are completely meaningless.   Worthless. 

On 4/23/2020 at 6:54 AM, PilotsError said:

Just wrapped up.  Was worried Barrel was gonna eat his gun.  

One thing I appreciate about this show is how competent everyone is.  Most shows would have Crate and Barrel be the office screw ups.

TV Crate and Barrel are different from book Crate and Barrel.    Connelly has said that they lightened the characters to provide a bit of comic relief. 

On 4/23/2020 at 6:46 AM, RPM said:

Sold for $1.25M in 2010. Zillow estimate is $1.64M - $2.09M.

in April, 2019, the owner refinanced.  Mortgage amount is 2.2M. 

I took a quick look at the comps.  Neighborhood average is about $850/ft.   This house would be on the high side of that average, IMO. 

It's a small house.  Just over 1500 sf.

Edited by Gil Bang

i'm finished, so i'm gonna spoiler just in case:

i liked this season, but some stuff that bothered me in previous seasons really bothered me a lot this season.  mainly it's (1) the way they deviate from the "main" case, and (2) where they choose to take the story.  there are always 2-3 other plotlines going on underneath the main investigation, whatever that is.  but a few times the secondary investigations take over the story a little too much, and the focus shifts to cases i'm just not that interested in.
last season (or two seasons ago?) all the stuff with bosch's mother took over the story, and it wasn't my favorite.  this season, i really liked the doctor, the wife, the fed, the cesium, and especially - the sovereigns.  the first few episodes were great for this.  but then the secondary cases came in, and really overtook the show for 4 episodes - j.edgar's side case with the crooked cops, the jamaican/haitian guys, and the cop's dead son.  and bosch's junkie's daughter's murder investigation.  i feel like it's typically something like this - something personal to bosch, that takes his focus away from the main case.
in s6, they went away from the sovereigns for a few episodes entirely, which left the story feeling a little disjointed.  they ended an episode (4 i think) with someone assembling a bomb.  and then we don't revisit that for 2-3 episodes.  we see the black sovereign dude basically threaten maddie outside of the station, and then that goes away, and the next time bosch sees him, they're almost cool with each other.  didn't ring true to me.
and what sucks, is that the daughter's murder/extortion scheme with the johns/investigation revealing a child sex trafficking ring - would've made for its own great season headliner.  but since it was just a secondary plot this season, they kinda rushed through it.  we see the blonde dude in ep9, he turns states in ep10, then they cut to the house where the girls were kept as they're bringing out the bad guys.  they glossed over the whole thing in order to have time to focus on the bomb at the courthouse - again, have to tie up the main plot.  at least it drops at once, so if you binge it, it shouldn't really bother you, but not sure they could get away with that in a week-to-week format.
also the end of irving's mayoral campaign seemed a little rushed and silly.  oh well, sad that this is ending next season.  we shall miss you, harry.

I agree with this. The multiple story lines didn’t weave nearly as well this season. I also struggled to care about Edgar’s storyline for whatever reason.

Question - I've watched all 5 seasons, my wife has watched none. Thanks to staying at home all the fucking time I'm considering streaming S6 with her. Will she want me to explain a lot of things or is it pretty much self explanatory?

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

cary elwes GIF

I understand that it isn’t technically a procedural hence the word seems. But it views like one. If it makes you feel better, I’ll amend my statement. It seems to me like a run-of-mill network police serial. 

16 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

It seems to me like a run-of-mill network police serial. 

If Bosch is run-of-mill I'm curious what other US-produced police investigatory shows you'd also put in that category? Maybe I'm overlooking some but I can't think of more than a few I thought were any good.

I very much enjoyed S1 to S4. I thought S5 got tiresome, like they had to do too much to wrap up the loose ends. Hopefully that pays off in S6.

6 minutes ago, Chopper said:

If Bosch is run-of-mill I'm curious what other US-produced police investigatory shows you'd also put in that category? Maybe I'm overlooking some but I can't think of more than a few I thought were any good.

I very much enjoyed S1 to S4. I thought S5 got tiresome, like they had to do too much to wrap up the loose ends. Hopefully that pays off in S6.

I’d put Bosch way below the Wire, The Shield, Hill Street Blues, True Detective, Justified. I’d put it more in line with the CSIs, Law and Order, Homicide. Don’t get me wrong, Bosch isn’t terrible. But it’s not great either.