Greg Brown III - Supposed to announce on April 24

Goo Punch

for those who aren't familiar, he's the son/nephew of a couple former UT football players, he's by far the best hoops prospect to ever come out of Austin, and he will attend college for what should be one spectacular individual year.

Texas was long thought to be a lock for his services as Shaka started recruiting him as an 8th grader and the two have a great relationship. However, over the last 7-8 months or so the tide was shifting away from Texas and towards Memphis. And with Shaka seeming to be a dead man walking, it seemed like Texas was out of the running. GB III's final 5 are: Texas, Kentucky, Michigan, Auburn, and Memphis.

Well, now some guy who covers this stuff days Texas is back in the lead. We should know for sure in a few weeks, but until then, here's the article:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/why-there-might-be-a-new-leader-for-greg-brown

49 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

for those who aren't familiar, he's the son/nephew of a couple former UT football players, he's by far the best hoops prospect to ever come out of Austin, and he will attend college for what should be one spectacular individual year.

Texas was long thought to be a lock for his services as Shaka started recruiting him as an 8th grader and the two have a great relationship. However, over the last 7-8 months or so the tide was shifting away from Texas and towards Memphis. And with Shaka seeming to be a dead man walking, it seemed like Texas was out of the running. GB III's final 5 are: Texas, Kentucky, Michigan, Auburn, and Memphis.

Well, now some guy who covers this stuff days Texas is back in the lead. We should know for sure in a few weeks, but until then, here's the article:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/why-there-might-be-a-new-leader-for-greg-brown

I know who his Dad is, but who is his uncle?

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

I'll say this, he's probably the best offensive talent to come to the 40 acres since Kevin Durant. He's a lot different than other one and dones like Mo Bamba, Jarrett Allen, or even Myles Turner. For one he's not a bigman. He's a small ball 4 or wing player and won't be as dependent on others players to make stuff happen. . 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 2

I care.  After watching Texas v. A&M from 2007 last night, I prefer that game over any played by Texas in the last ten years.  I'll  take a top 5 player every year.  And I'll take a 5 star player who is a leader and will tell the coach to shut up (as TJ did to Barnes). 

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'll say this, he's probably the best offensive talent to come to the 40 acres since Kevin Durant. He's a lot different than other one and dones like Mo Bamba, Jarrett Allen, or even Myles Turner. For one he's not a bigman. He's a small ball 4 or wing player and won't be as dependent on others players to make stuff happen. . 

i don't want the best talent to ever come out of Austin to go somewhere else, even knowing what we know about Shaka's track record of winning (or losing) with lottery pick talent. GB III should be a helluva lot of fun to watch too, as you alluded to. ridiculous athlete who can really do it all, including shoot the ball. it would really hurt to miss out on him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i don't want the best talent to ever come out of Austin to go somewhere else, even knowing what we know about Shaka's track record of winning (or losing) with lottery pick talent. GB III should be a helluva lot of fun to watch too, as you alluded to. ridiculous athlete who can really do it all, including shoot the ball. it would really hurt to miss out on him.

Agreed, but I'll also reiterate that if he is shopping his services, I very much hope Texas isn't a participating in the bidding.

Also, he totally deserved that T.

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Agreed, but I'll also reiterate that if he is shopping his services, I very much hope Texas isn't a participating in the bidding.

Also, he totally deserved that T.

i don't think there's any way we could compete with Memphis or UK when it comes to that, so I'd hope/assume that was never our angle. 

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Should any of us care? It’s just another NBA draft pick “one and done” who won’t be used effectively to make the tournament or win games. How many now has Shaka wasted? Three? Four?

While I agree that the team will likely still be mediocre at best and Brown will underperform under Shaka, like Derka said, I want the best talent to ever come out of Austin and a UT legacy to play at Texas.
There’s a chance this guy is a perennial all star in the NBA, and that could pay huge dividends for the program and the next coach.  Plus, I’ll enjoy his NBA career more if he plays at Texas.  I’m a huge fan of De’Aaron Fox and root for him in the NBA, but it would be more fun if he had played his one year at Texas. Same will go for Greg Brown. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

some of you who aren't familiar with him may be familiar with this highlight of his from earlier this year:

No.10 looks like a got damn libero with his long sleeves/short shorts combo. The return of the short shorts craze is upon us, and it's only getting worse. 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

If he does come to Texas, that roster next year would be a Final Four quality blend of size, athleticism, talent and experience - assuming development under a better coach, that is.   With Shaka it will probably be a good but not elite season followed by the program cratering.  I’m thinking the ceiling is Jeff Capel at OU the year he had Blake Griffin and Willie Warren, or Steve Alford at UCLA when he had Lonzo and 3 other first rounders.   The floor would be ... well about 3 different stacked Texas squads since 2009 that ended up doing jack shit.   Ugh. 

I hate everything about this post but what I hate the most about it is that there is not a single thing I disagree with here. 

6 hours ago, dogbreath said:

I care.  After watching Texas v. A&M from 2007 last night, I prefer that game over any played by Texas in the last ten years.  I'll  take a top 5 player every year.  And I'll take a 5 star player who is a leader and will tell the coach to shut up (as TJ did to Barnes). 

Donde?

22 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Hadn’t heard Roderick Anderson’s name in a very long time. We won two first round games while he was here. Ran into two tough 3 seeds in Michigan in 1994 and Maryland in 1995. Tourney Tom dominated the 6 seed Oregon in 1995. God, we are in hell now.

One of those years, I think, we got lucky and got coppin state in round 2 after they had a big upset- 13 over 4 type. 

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

One of those years, I think, we got lucky and got coppin state in round 2 after they had a big upset- 13 over 4 type. 

that was two years later-- in 94, we lost to Michigan's Fab Four (Webber had gone pro), in 95 it was Joe Smith's Maryland team, in 96 we beat Michigan when they (no shit) called a timeout they didn't have and then lost to Wake Forest w/Duncan, and then in 1997 got to the sweet 16 by beating Coppin State by a point. Lost to Louisville in the Sweet 16. 

14 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Coppin State was the #15, I want to say South Carolina was the #2 seed. We were in the 7/10 game. I think we were the 7th seed. Then Louisville blew our doors off during  the 2nd half in the Sweet 16. They were the #6 seed, and had beaten us earlier in the season in a much closer game.

Edited by HtownHorn

22 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Donde?

Later that season, Ford exerted his leadership by confronting Barnes during a game at Oklahoma on senior day. After the 6-foot-8 Brian Boddicker botched his assignment to rebound — he had none in the first half — an infuriated Barnes told him he was done for the night. Ford then engaged his coach in an argument, insisting that if Barnes wanted to win the game, Boddicker's presence was necessary.

"I walked down to the end of the bench and said, 'Brian, I'm gonna give you one more chance,'" Barnes said.

On 3/20/2020 at 5:47 PM, HtownHorn said:

Coppin State was the #15, I want to say South Carolina was the #2 seed. We were in the 7/10 game. I think we were the 7th seed. Then Louisville blew our doors off during  the 2nd half in the Sweet 16. They were the #6 seed, and had beaten us earlier in the season in a much closer game.

We totally blew that regular season game against Louisville in the FEC that year, want to say we had the ball and a 5-point lead with like 25 seconds left in regulation and lost in OT. They dominated the 2nd half of  tourney game, but we led by 6 at the half...

Edited by Ignatius

On 3/19/2020 at 4:06 PM, Dbeasy said:

Should any of us care? It’s just another NBA draft pick “one and done” who won’t be used effectively to make the tournament or win games. How many now has Shaka wasted? Three? Four?

I want to neg you.  Want to neg you to Bolivia!  Then I'm just all

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m gonna laugh my ass off when we kept Shaka for a recruit who doesn’t come here. Well done cdc.

With all the Corona virus shit going on, and lots of folks losing their jobs -- if Shaka loses GB3 to Kentucky or Memphis, it really doesn't matter!!

Brown is far and away the best player to ever come out of the Austin area. Athletically he's like a 6'8" Kerwin Roach, but he actually has real basketball skill. Handle, passing, shooting, driving- he can do it all on offense. Our team next year will probably have five guys averaging double digits (or close to it), so he may not light up the world like KD, but he has a very well-rounded offensive game and should be an impact player from day one, assuming we change our offense and he's not just standing around the 3-point line like a ball rack. His one year in college should be full of highlight reel plays; just wish he got some real coaching/winning to go along with it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Brown is far and away the best player to ever come out of the Austin area.

to that / Beeper's specific players, I would say Axtell was the most talented of that bunch (had the highest ceiling), Clack was the best player (meaning he made the most of his talent), and Vasquez was the most overrated. Ray Jackson was a better player than Chico Vasquez.

yeah man Axtell could have been great at Texas without the whole grades fiasco. of course if that never happens then neither do Barnes/TJ/KD/etc, so all's well that ends well. that said, Axtell would have been a killer in today's game. he was perfectly suited for the modern style of basketball. just born too early i guess. 

Previous couple of generations, but I believe LaSalle Thompson was the highest rated recruit to come to Texas before the Barnes' years.  I sort of kind of remember that Thompson was a High School All-American.  That man could rebound better than the remainder of the Texas big men in the last 30 years or so.  He led the country in rebounding. 13. something rebounds per game.  

Having recently been able to rewatch those games KD played against Tech and A&M only makes it 10x more absurd in my mind than it already was a week ago. I was watching him in total awe. He was an NBA All Star playing against college kids, and he was the youngest guy on the court. He was literally a 6'11" guard who could shoot from 25 feet, could dunk on anyone, could handle and drive as well as our All American PG, and oh yeah he averaged 12 boards, 2 blocks, and 2 steals per game. But, you know, gotta go with big man, right? 🙄 

A couple of questions for all of the great NBA minds of 2007:

When's the last time a guy was irrefutably they best college player by a hundred miles and all the NBA GM's were like, "nah, i'll pass for this other guy"?

When's the last time a guy in the NBA didn't pan out because he wasn't strong enough? "Yeah, shame about Brandon. Shoots like Bird, passes like Magic, jumps like Michael, and he's seven feet tall; if only he could lift heavier weights."

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

He might come to Texas. We are the favorite for a reason. Based on following his recruitment as well as his dad's comments, if they don't choose to go to the highest bidder then I really believe he chooses Texas. He's going to college for exactly one year, and his family isn't hurting for money. Shaka started recruiting him when he was in 8th grade and has a great relationship with the entire family, all of whom would like to be able to watch Greg play in person without having to travel to Lexington or Memphis. I'll be a little surprised if he doesn't choose Texas. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Axtell would have been a killer in today's game. he was perfectly suited for the modern style of basketball. just born too early i guess. 

I agree, maybe a poor man's Kevin Durant. He had all the skills, though where Durant was a 10/10 Axtell was a 7/10. But used properly, he could have been a hugely disruptive matchup. 

He also might not have had the mental fortitude that Durant has. His flameout might have been inevitable whether he picked UT or not.  

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I agree, maybe a poor man's Kevin Durant. He had all the skills, though where Durant was a 10/10 Axtell was a 7/10. But used properly, he could have been a hugely disruptive matchup. 

He also might not have had the mental fortitude that Durant has. His flameout might have been inevitable whether he picked UT or not.  

Came across this article on Axtell... He's been helping veterans and was living in Dripping Springs, Tx.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/outdoors/article151286287.html 

"Former KU basketball player Luke Axtell helps bring the outdoors to service heroes"

Axtell, 38, is national director of hunting and fishing for Heroes Sports, a nonprofit organization that connects returning U.S. military service members with sports, the outdoors and an active lifestyle.