Greg Brown III - Supposed to announce on April 24

Goo Punch

These kids don’t have a normal college experience. It’s a fucking job. Might as well get paid for it. The complete disconnect from some of you and how most people view $400,000 is eye opening.

And by the way, the G League contract includes a full ride for college for Green.

Edited by Kermit
  • Like 8

I think the $400,000 is from the league, and they use their connections to get these kids major endorsements, which will often take them well over $1 million for that one year. I honestly think that allowing the kids to make money off their names through endorsements is the right way to go for the NCAA. Yeah, there will need to be regulation and compliance to try and maintain the illusion of parity and to avoid shenanigans from donors, and plenty of ways to cheat that system, but how is that any different than what they are trying to do now? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kermit said:

These kids don’t have a normal college experience. It’s a fucking job. Might as well get paid for it. The complete disconnect from some of you and how most people view $400,000 is eye opening.

And by the way, the G League contract includes a full ride for college for Green.

The G League also has a degree program through Arizona State available for all players who have spent service time in the G League, and is available to them up to 5 years after they leave the G League. This isn't an either/or thing when it comes to getting a degree or playing pro ball, they can do both if they choose.

There is a finite amount of basketball in that young man's body, and thus a finite amount of earning power on an already compressed schedule (6-12 years vs the 40+ the rest of us schlubs have). A year earning $300k + endorsement/shoe deals where he gets to practice as much as he wants with no artificial coaching time limits imposed upon him by the NCAA plus the NBA involved in building his brand means this can be an accelerated earning path that is enhanced by access to top-level facilities & coaching. It's frankly a no-brainer; if it were my kid, I'd tell him to skip college and go this route. He can earn his degree along the way or after he's done playing; you can get a degree at 45 a lot easier than you can dunk a basketball at 45.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Maybe it's because I was still in eighth grade, but when I was 18 years old there's zero chance you could have gotten me to turn down $400,000 plus endorsements plus becoming a professional just to go to college for a few months to play a season that might not even happen.

Seriously, this is so incredibly fucking stupid.  You know what he'll do if he wants a "college" experience? Go to UCLA/USC to party, not lug around a backpack to Jester.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

The G League also has a degree program through Arizona State available for all players who have spent service time in the G League, and is available to them up to 5 years after they leave the G League. This isn't an either/or thing when it comes to getting a degree or playing pro ball, they can do both if they choose.

There is a finite amount of basketball in that young man's body, and thus a finite amount of earning power on an already compressed schedule (6-12 years vs the 40+ the rest of us schlubs have). A year earning $300k + endorsement/shoe deals where he gets to practice as much as he wants with no artificial coaching time limits imposed upon him by the NCAA plus the NBA involved in building his brand means this can be an accelerated earning path that is enhanced by access to top-level facilities & coaching. It's frankly a no-brainer; if it were my kid, I'd tell him to skip college and go this route. He can earn his degree along the way or after he's done playing; you can get a degree at 45 a lot easier than you can dunk a basketball at 45.

I'm surprised aggy didn't offer that option, so that they could put pictures of a bunch of NBA all-stars in their "hall of champions" as proud aggy grads.

• Like 1

Really smart for the NBA to create their own AAU team. Instead of guys going overseas to play in some bum fuck league under who knows who for a coach or go play school for a few months, they get to guide their development and get an inside look at what kind of player/person they are. This is a huge risk reduction move for them. Much better to invest $400,000 for one year to get a good inside look at an 18 year old, than guarantee a 19 year old that you don't know shit about anywhere from $4 million to $20 million for two years. And that doesn't even take into consideration the opportunity cost of picking a different player and crapping out on a bust. It's a no brainer for them. The shoe companies seem a little less risk averse investing in this but then again, they don't have a limited number of draft picks. They can spread the wealth and now actually do it legally.

This is going to be really interesting to how it shakes out. The NCAA can't really compete with this but long term I bet it ends up being to their benefit. I suppose it's going to throw a big monkey wrench into the shoe company/ coach/ buying players relationship. I wonder how many kids per year the NBA is going to take for this experiment. Do the second tier guys get moved up in the pecking order for college teams if they aren't the automatic game changers that the first tier guys are? After a finite number of players, does it make a difference?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Shoe companies will sign future lottery picks.  Jalen Green is already considered to be the 2021 #1 pick and would've been the #1 pick this year.  I think others probably project Brown to be a top 5-10 pick.  These guys get very competitive offers for endorsements because of their status and publicity as a lottery pick.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2887051-report-jalen-green-likely-to-get-7-figure-shoe-contract-after-joining-g-league

"According to Nick DePaula of ESPN, the guard will have "several offers" from companies with a contract that will top seven figures per year. He is set to sign with Aaron Goodwin, who negotiated rookie shoe deals with LeBron James, Dwight Howard and Kevin Durant."

Yeah because they're trying to get in on the cheap of a future star. For the player it's better to wait until you have a name then sign a much better deal. 

3 hours ago, Kermit said:

These kids don’t have a normal college experience. It’s a fucking job.

well, it's certainly going to be, shortly

Again, I am not saying he should choose college. Everything he and his father have said so far makes it clear this is a transactional decision for them. I am saying that conceptually, there is a relative utility in choosing that experience over a single year of making money. There isn't NO REASON TO CHOOSE COLLEGEFE!!!!!!!! and it's not ZOMG SO FUCKING STUPID!!!!!!! for someone to decide an experience is more valuable than money foregone. 

Brown gets one chance to experience college in whatever way he'd experience it as a freshman, normal or otherwise. Looking at it from the perspective I have, which isn't anything like Greg Brown's perspective, there are obvious attractions to either decision. He wins whether it's heads or tails. It's a luxury to have a choice between those options but it is a valid choice either way. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Maybe it's because I was still in eighth grade, but when I was 18 years old there's zero chance you could have gotten me to turn down $400,000 plus endorsements plus becoming a professional just to go to college for a few months to play a season that might not even happen.

I think it depends what the people around you were telling you. I know my inclination would have been to take the money, and I don't know what my Dad would have told me. I know what I would tell me, now, but then that gets into the idea that every decision good or bad leads you to where you are in a given moment and I wouldn't change anything about my life right now, ergo I wouldn't tell hypothetical 18-yr old me "don't go to Texas, take the money."

It's an easy choice for an 18 year old. Fuck the one and done in college, take the 500k. Players will receive better development in the g-league, no need to worry about staying academically eligible and silly NCAA rules or playing halfway across the world in the Euro leagues where it's more difficult to scout players. I had high hopes Greg Brown III would play at Texas, but with this recent change why would he?

• Like 3

$400k isn't some game changer for a kid about to make millions.  I'd take a year of college at Texas over $400k in this situation.

Says someone who had the aspiration to go to Texas. His only goal is going pro.

He’ll get $400K plus a Nike contract for probably $500K as a placeholder so they have his rights tied up until he’s in the league and can then renegotiate a real contract.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

What kind of shoe deal or endorsements would a kid nobody outside of big time basketball junkies has ever heard of get? 

I just happened into this thread and I'd never heard of Green or Brown before today. If you're a top guy and want to make a name for yourself ala Zion and don't mind college courses for a semester then college is still the better bet. Nobody will ever hear of you in the G league. If all you want is a chance to prepare for the NBA and adamantly refuse to do a semester of college class work then take this route. 

You really should watch The Scheme on HBO.  It will enlighten you on how this business works to a degree....

11 hours ago, txhorns said:

$400k isn't some game changer for a kid about to make millions.  I'd take a year of college at Texas over $400k in this situation.

Yea, but if goes to college for free, he risks getting injured and costing himself millions of dollars in draft position.

If he gets injured in the G league, at least he got paid and has a shoe contract, etc that can somewhat make up for the loss of draft position.

38 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Yea, but if goes to college for free, he risks getting injured and costing himself millions of dollars in draft position.

If he gets injured in the G league, at least he got paid and has a shoe contract, etc that can somewhat make up for the loss of draft position.

You may be right but unless things have changed, he may be able to get a disability policy while he is in college and I have to believe but could be wrong but a college degree long term could be a better investment than getting paid for one year and thats it. Probably depends on the individual.

Here is a 100% guaranteed correct answer.  We can all agree the physical life of a b-ball player is limited to x number of years, say average of 10.  What should be number one is the development of the player.  Which scenario gives the player the best development?

1. Limited practice with Shaka and company?

2. Limited practice with some other powerful college team?

3.  Unlimited practice with G league team?

If we can answer this question to a 95% or higher degree, that becomes the correct answer, because:

a. If there is a college b-ball coach who can develop the player better than g-league, the player should move up in the draft to the top few spots, thus making up the 500k easily. 

b. If the player works for a g-league coach that is superior or equal to colleges, the player gets drafted and makes same money he would have made or more + the 500k. Player can always go to college later if he wishes.

If there is not a 95% certainty answer to the development question, then the players family hasn’t done their homework, IMO.  

I don’t know anything about g league coaches, but I bet the Browns have done their homework.  

I also lay down money the Browns know which college has the best potential for development.

6 hours ago, realgreggym said:

I have to believe but could be wrong but a college degree long term could be a better investment than getting paid for one year

I really think that's unfortunately irrelevant to the discussion at hand, because it seems from afar that the Brown family's focus is 100% on him being a professional basketball player. Who even knows what he wants to do after basketball, if he's given it enough thought to weigh the option. It's probably charitable to think Brown even has goals at this point that require a college degree. 

The one thing I'd say is worth consideration is that even if Brown just goes one-and-done, he'd be able to come back to Texas or Michigan (the only two basketball programs he's considering that are attached to schools worth a shit) and get his degree when his playing days are done. Access to schools of that caliber is a lot easier to come by when you're recruited as a scholarship athlete in a revenue-generating sport. Not sure he'd have a lot of luck trying to get admitted to Texas or Michigan 12 years from now. 

But preserving access to a degree from an elite university is probably a pretty minor chip compared to maximizing his development and getting paid immediately. Hell, if they really cared about that sort of thing, Brown's shortlist would include Virginia and Duke instead of Auburn and Oklahoma State. 

21 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I am not arguing Brown should pick college ball over the G League, or that playing for a shithead like Shaka Smart is particularly enjoyable.

But a lot of people would trade $400,000 over the course of one year of their life for a year of being an 18-yr old college kid. If you're Greg Brown, you'll get about 40 chances to make $400,000 (or $90,000 if we want to fixate on that number). You get one chance to be a college freshman, doing college freshman stuff-- which was a fucking blast when I did it, I can only imagine it's even more fun when you're semi-famous as a varsity athlete. 

Of course, if we're dumb enough to shut down college campuses for an entire semester or academic year, then his decision is an obvious one.

I’m sure he can take his 400k and still have a blast 

11 hours ago, BERT said:

I have and will always say that basketball should have the same rule as baseball. You can either go straight to the pros or choose college and stay for 3 years. Simple as that. 

Or just go pro anytime you want instead. Sorry Player A, I know you came out of nowhere and became an all american in your freshman year but you still have to wait 2 more years before you can make any money off of it.

Why?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m sure he can take his 400k and still have a blast 

but not that blast, which was my point

there are all kinds of fun you can have, with or without money; most of the ones involving money will still be there for him in a year, or two, or three, but not the "freshman in college" one

that's all

4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

One of the best years of my life. Sorry you wasted it. 

That’s quite the assumption there, Carl. Just because it fucking sucked, doesn’t mean it was wasted. A lot of hard earned lessons. But what are these kids missing really? Pussy? Have you guys ever seen a NBA groupie hoard? I have. Drugs? They get tested, but as far as I know have access to a plethora of different pharmaceuticals. School? They don’t go to that shit anyway. School spirit? Okay. What am I missing here? Camaraderie? They hang out with their teammates. Sure seems worth foregoing a multitude of Benjamin’s. They aren’t like you and me, and will never have that experience. Not the ones who are ready for the pros, at least. 

• Like 1

$400 would be about $220-$240 after taxes and agent fees.  not chump change but really not all that much considering how much he's going to make next year.  it would not surprise me at all if he came to texas.  you can't buy the college experience.  my first year at UT was awesome.

45 minutes ago, Kermit said:

That’s quite the assumption there, Carl. Just because it fucking sucked, doesn’t mean it was wasted. A lot of hard earned lessons. But what are these kids missing really? Pussy? Have you guys ever seen a NBA groupie hoard? I have. Drugs? They get tested, but as far as I know have access to a plethora of different pharmaceuticals. School? They don’t go to that shit anyway. School spirit? Okay. What am I missing here? Camaraderie? They hang out with their teammates. Sure seems worth foregoing a multitude of Benjamin’s. They aren’t like you and me, and will never have that experience. Not the ones who are ready for the pros, at least. 

Exactly. The great things about freshman year college would only be amplified by having half a million dollars. The fuck are y’all talking about?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Keg parties at fraternities!!!!  I don't understand the inference these guys can't have a great experience which is required to be at college.  There are college towns everywhere G league games are played and with money, some fame, and your own housing, I can't imagine these guys not being able to whip up a social scene on their terms and at their houses (if they want) or just getting treated like a God at a college campus without actually going there.  It's a weird disconnect that 18/19 year olds can only have fun in college.

i don't know what it says about a UT education that so many UT alums can't wrap their head around the idea that their situation and GB III's situation are not analogous, particularly when considering that you all have already gone to UT and loved it, whereas GB III still might commit to fucking Auburn for all we know. Your love for UT was built from your time spent there, and then it's grown even larger over time through supporting Texas athletics as a die hard alumnus. GB III does not feel the same way you do, and even if he were to go to UT his freshman year would be *nothing* like yours. Do you guys even understand that being a major D-1 athlete is a full time job? the situations are not analogous, and GB III would be stupid to go to college right now.

Also, to anyone trying to downplay the money- stop; just stop; that's so stupid it's embarrassing. "well $400k isn't actually $400k after taxes and fees, so I really don't see why this 18 year old would be want a measly $250k over the amazing experience of pretending to be a college student for like 6 months." THE FUCK are y'all talking about?! Jesus. Not to mention endorsement deals, being able to make money off of his own likeness, professional training and coaching, the connections he'll make, and the fact that his dream since he was a kid has been to play in the NBA, and not to come to Texas for half a year. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 7

On 4/17/2020 at 7:38 AM, Kermit said:

At least now these kids don’t have to pretend to go to school. Get your money, young man.

Not too mention they will actually get real coaching for probably the 1st time in their lives. Professional G League coaching is probably miles better than P5 college coaching.

54 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Exactly. The great things about freshman year college would only be amplified by having half a million dollars. The fuck are y’all talking about?

Except he wouldn't get the half a mil if he went to school. 

Honestly considering the uncertainty of even having a college bball season next year I would be surprised to see him choose to go to college. The NBA and G league will more than likely have a season albeit maybe without fans while college bball at best will have a delayed start.  No way schools will start a season without the student body on campus.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

On 4/17/2020 at 12:29 PM, Goo Punch said:

You were 18 in eighth grade?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I agree.  If it’s a good but not surefire future lottery pick guy, then by all means take your $400,000 and whatever endorsement deal a G-League guy would get.

If you’re actually a top 5 prospect in your class who everybody knows will be a high draft pick after one year of college, you’re probably screwing your initial endorsement deal by keeping your name recognition way below what it would be if you played college basketball.  

This year might be a special circumstance if we don’t have a normal college basketball season, but in general these guys raise their profiles a lot by playing college basketball.  And that initial endorsement offer after college might be the best one they get, because once you’re actually established in the NBA you have to be a star for Nike to give a shit anymore.  Even if they go to the G-League, they probably should wait the extra year anyway until they get draft hype before locking into an endorsement.

In a normal year this is the argument I'd make.  Zion doesn't sign the shoe deal he did had he gone to Australia or China or some place. Even a guy like Ja Morant doesn't get the deal he got without making a name for himself in college bball. Look at how a guy like RJ Hampton has absolutely plummeted from his year ago prospects for the upcoming draft.  Guys who were way behind him like Nico Mannion and Josh Green have shot ahead of him in for the upcoming draft. 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I agree.  If it’s a good but not surefire future lottery pick guy, then by all means take your $400,000 and whatever endorsement deal a G-League guy would get.

If you’re actually a top 5 prospect in your class who everybody knows will be a high draft pick after one year of college, you’re probably screwing your initial endorsement deal by keeping your name recognition way below what it would be if you played college basketball.  

This year might be a special circumstance if we don’t have a normal college basketball season, but in general these guys raise their profiles a lot by playing college basketball.  And that initial endorsement offer after college might be the best one they get, because once you’re actually established in the NBA you have to be a star for Nike to give a shit anymore.  Even if they go to the G-League, they probably should wait the extra year anyway until they get draft hype before locking into an endorsement.

If you’re a lottery pick college basketball vs G league will matter nothing to your initial deal. Unless you’re a generational talent your initial deal is relatively the same as the other guys in that group. You don’t make your name and money by playing one year in college. You make your name and money by what you do in the league. 

On 4/17/2020 at 8:08 AM, Goo Punch said:

also lol at the statement in general. "400k isn't shit." lol, wow, someone sure seems to be claiming to be shaggy elite. 

Derka, I understand this shocks you but that’s not considered elite. A lot of us went to school and made something of ourselves. We even married someone who did the same, doubling our income. 

After taxes and agent fees he’s lucky to have 250k. Of course it isn’t chump change but what’s he going to live on? He buying a ride? Of course he is. I don’t care what he does, either decision is a ok with me but the money isn’t a big factor. He can take the $$$$ from World Wide Wes and live free on scholarship too. Those dollars are tax free.

29 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

In a normal year this is the argument I'd make.  Zion doesn't sign the shoe deal he did had he gone to Australia or China or some place. Even a guy like Ja Morant doesn't get the deal he got without making a name for himself in college bball. Look at how a guy like RJ Hampton has absolutely plummeted from his year ago prospects for the upcoming draft.  Guys who were way behind him like Nico Mannion and Josh Green have shot ahead of him in for the upcoming draft. 

Zion gets exactly that deal if he plays in Australia because he would be the same guy. He would be a generational talent. You guys seem to think Zion got famous in college. Zion had like 2 million social media followers in high school. 

Ja has to go to college for two years because he wasn’t an elite prospect. He wasn’t even ranked by most recruiting services. That’s a completely different case to GB3 or Zion.

Hampton has dropped dramatically because he has sucked. The exact same thing could have been the case in college just like guys like Reddish in recent years.

Point being there really ain’t much reason at all for any elite prospect to ever play college basketball. They have little, if any, to gain by doing so. And frankly they lose a year of earning potential when their max window is 15 years. Take the bag.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Derka, I understand this shocks you but that’s not considered elite. A lot of us went to school and made something of ourselves. We even married someone who did the same, doubling our income. 

After taxes and agent fees he’s lucky to have 250k. Of course it isn’t chump change but what’s he going to live on? He buying a ride? Of course he is. I don’t care what he does, either decision is a ok with me but the money isn’t a big factor. He can take the $$$$ from World Wide Wes and live free on scholarship too. Those dollars are tax free.

He would probably live on the endorsements like most basketball players. Plus he gets to spend a year earning while he refines his game instead spending a year with shitty coaching and limited practice time.

29 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Zion gets exactly that deal if he plays in Australia because he would be the same guy. He would be a generational talent. You guys seem to think Zion got famous in college. Zion had like 2 million social media followers in high school. 

Ja has to go to college for two years because he wasn’t an elite prospect. He wasn’t even ranked by most recruiting services. That’s a completely different case to GB3 or Zion.

Hampton has dropped dramatically because he has sucked. The exact same thing could have been the case in college just like guys like Reddish in recent years.

Point being there really ain’t much reason at all for any elite prospect to ever play college basketball. They have little, if any, to gain by doing so. And frankly they lose a year of earning potential when their max window is 15 years. Take the bag.

Whatever you say dude.  Duke was must watch Television during Zion's season. Casual basketball fans tuned in for every game his lone season. That one season gave him bonafides. And 2 million instagram followers doesnt even register on Q ratings nor does it make you a megawatt star. Lamello Ball has 5mm+ instagram followers and he wont sign anything close to the same zip code as Zion's shoe deal. 

This chick has 11.6mm instagram followers and no one here could name her if we were spotted every letter of her name. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

14 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Whatever you say dude.  Duke was must watch Television during Zion's season. Casual basketball fans tuned in for every game his lone season. That one season gave him bonafides. And 2 million instagram followers doesnt even register on Q ratings nor does it make you a megawatt star. Lamello Ball has 5mm+ instagram followers and he wont sign anything close to the same zip code as Zion's shoe deal. 

This chick has 11.6mm instagram followers and no one here could name her if we were spotted every letter of her name. 

Right. And what is it do you think that made Duke must watch? Maybe that they had the top two players in the country. One of which is a generational talent. Unless you think Jordan brand wouldn’t know who Zion was just because he was in Australia. Zion was getting paid regardless of where he played his “freshman” year. He is a player on the level of AD, KD, Bron in terms of potential.

Duke is maybe the lone exception to this entire discussion anyway. It’s elite level coaching and elite level professional prep. 

Edited by hobbes2702