Greg Brown III - Supposed to announce on April 24

Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Revolution512 said:

Derka, I understand this shocks you but that’s not considered elite. A lot of us went to school and made something of ourselves. We even married someone who did the same, doubling our income. 

After taxes and agent fees he’s lucky to have 250k. Of course it isn’t chump change but what’s he going to live on? He buying a ride? Of course he is. I don’t care what he does, either decision is a ok with me but the money isn’t a big factor. He can take the $$$$ from World Wide Wes and live free on scholarship too. Those dollars are tax free.

you're still missing the point. the point is not, "zomfg $250k is so much money, gb iii is gonna buy a private island!!!".  when you scoff at the money he'd make, you're doing so in comparison to him going to college for free for a few months in a time where there might not even be a basketball season at all. you act as if what he's passing up on is inherently worth more than the $250k he'd be making in base salary + all of the benefits of becoming a professional and being able to profit off of his likeness, and that's just dumb. 

Edited by Goo Punch

going to college isn't about having fun or or how cool it is, its about growing up. its a way to ease into the world of responsibility after being taken care of your entire life.  no 18 year old is ready to be thrown out into the world with millions of dollars. for every kobe there's 5 dwight howards who never became an adult and didn't achieve their true potential

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Right. And what is it do you think that made Duke must watch? Maybe that they had the top two players in the country. One of which is a generational talent. Unless you think Jordan brand wouldn’t know who Zion was just because he was in Australia. Zion was getting paid regardless of where he played his “freshman” year. He is a player on the level of AD, KD, Bron in terms of potential.

Duke is maybe the lone exception to this entire discussion anyway. It’s elite level coaching and elite level professional prep. 

It's one thing to be a hyped athlete it's another thing to not only prove you're a skilled basketball player, but prove it with a splash. While Zion was Instagram famous he wasn't even the top recruit in the class. Nor was he predicted to be the 1st player taken going into last year's college basketball season. And due to the small private school league he played in and his less than stellar final summer of AAU ball there were plenty of questions about his skillset.  Im referencing all this to say, it's totally revisionist history to claim that Zion was an absolute certainty to sign the largest rookie shoe deal since Lebron. To pretend that the notoriety that came with playing a season at Duke had nothing to do with it is completely nonsensical.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I agree.  If it’s a good but not surefire future lottery pick guy, then by all means take your $400,000 and whatever endorsement deal a G-League guy would get.

If you’re actually a top 5 prospect in your class who everybody knows will be a high draft pick after one year of college, you’re probably screwing your initial endorsement deal by keeping your name recognition way below what it would be if you played college basketball.  

This year might be a special circumstance if we don’t have a normal college basketball season, but in general these guys raise their profiles a lot by playing college basketball.  And that initial endorsement offer after college might be the best one they get, because once you’re actually established in the NBA you have to be a star for Nike to give a shit anymore.  Even if they go to the G-League, they probably should wait the extra year anyway until they get draft hype before locking into an endorsement.

Hmmm......

First, are you sure these guys all helped themselves in a shoe contract negotiations by going to college?  Below are Rivals rankings.

Second, why would one have to sign a L-T deal?  If you're worried about capping your ceiling, then sign a shorter deal.

2016:

Josh Jackson, Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Lonzo Ball, and Markelle Fultz

2017:

Porter, Bagley, Ayton, Bamba, Trevon Duval

2018:

RJ Barrett, Nassir Little, Cam Reddish, Bol Bol, Zion

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

also Revolution512 never went to Texas, and it's hilarious how often over the years he's insinuated that he's an alum. it should be no surprise that he's someone who's both clueless and condescending at the same time.

That’s correct, I went to college elsewhere. I’ve never insinuated I went to Texas on any board you must have me confused with someone else. As for your last sentence, bro that’s you to a T on pretty much every subject you post about. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Hmmm......

First, are you sure these guys all helped themselves in a shoe contract negotiations by going to college?  Below are Rivals rankings.

Second, why would one have to sign a L-T deal?  If you're worried about capping your ceiling, then sign a shorter deal.

2016:

Josh Jackson, Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Lonzo Ball, and Markelle Fultz

2017:

Porter, Bagley, Ayton, Bamba, Trevon Duval

2018:

RJ Barrett, Nassir Little, Cam Reddish, Bol Bol, Zion

This is a fair look at things.  The potential is there to increase your value,  but as always there's just as much of a risk to completely fall off the map ala Trevon Duval. 

15 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This is a fair look at things.  The potential is there to increase your value,  but as always there's just as much of a risk to completely fall off the map ala Trevon Duval. 

I would wager only 3-4 of them helped themselves immensely if they signed right after declaring or before their rookie season.  Fultz, Ayton, and Zion did.  A few them may have helped themselves marginally a a few probably hurt themselves (Duval, Porter, Little and Bol).  And let's not limit ourselves to just shoe deals, I'm sure other things exist to supplement the paltry 400/500k they're making for a year... If a kid absolutely wants to forgo the money because he really wants the "college experience" for a semester or two (some drop immediately after the season is finished or go correspondence so they can prepare for private workouts and draft), then great for him.  No issues, but it shouldn't be hard to understand if another wants to start his "professional" career earlier.  I applaud this first step and hope they can get to a point where the G League is a viable alternative for kids who don't want a scholastic experience or just want/need the money.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

going to college isn't about having fun or or how cool it is, its about growing up. its a way to ease into the world of responsibility after being taken care of your entire life.  no 18 year old is ready to be thrown out into the world with millions of dollars. for every kobe there's 5 dwight howards who never became an adult and didn't achieve their true potential

correct.

Going to Texas and succeeding creates some lasting glory that can be revisited.

Going to the d league and succeeding is like tears in the rain or whatever that robot said.

It’s not worthless. This dude might not care about it but it’s something.

There’s more to life than a little bit of money. Don’tcha know that?

Also likely moot cause Texas wouldn’t do shit with him but a guy can dream.

9 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I agree.  If it’s a good but not surefire future lottery pick guy, then by all means take your $400,000 and whatever endorsement deal a G-League guy would get.

If you’re actually a top 5 prospect in your class who everybody knows will be a high draft pick after one year of college, you’re probably screwing your initial endorsement deal by keeping your name recognition way below what it would be if you played college basketball.  

This year might be a special circumstance if we don’t have a normal college basketball season, but in general these guys raise their profiles a lot by playing college basketball.  And that initial endorsement offer after college might be the best one they get, because once you’re actually established in the NBA you have to be a star for Nike to give a shit anymore.  Even if they go to the G-League, they probably should wait the extra year anyway until they get draft hype before locking into an endorsement.

Whatever you say dude.  Duke was must watch Television during Zion's season. Casual basketball fans tuned in for every game his lone season. That one season gave him bonafides. And 2 million instagram followers doesnt even register on Q ratings nor does it make you a megawatt star. Lamello Ball has 5mm+ instagram followers and he wont sign anything close to the same zip code as Zion's shoe deal.

Zion signed a 7 year $75 million dollar shoe deal coming out of college (set the record for rookie shoe deal).

According to this, LaMelo Ball, after not going to college and playing in Australia (Australia, not some top class league) has potentially already been offered a $100 million dollar shoe deal (plus the use of a private jet).

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/potential-no-1-2020-nba-draft-pick-lamelo-ball-reportedly-offered-100-million-sneaker

Yea, I'd say he gets something in the same zip code as Zion.  It doesn't matter whether you go to college or not.  The shoe companies run AAU and know who the potential lottery picks are when they are still in high school.  It doesn't matter where they go after high school, Nike and Adidas already know who the stars are.  If you're expected to be a top 5 pick (having succeeded in either college or some sort of pro ball), they'll know exactly how to watch you/track you wherever you are and you'll get a good shoe deal, and if you don't, then you hired the wrong agent.

Edited by TheBryMan81

10 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

going to college isn't about having fun or or how cool it is, its about growing up.

partially true-- all of those things are inseparable when talking broadly about the benefits of "the experience" of going to college. I agree w the larger point, there are plenty of guys whose careers were actually truncated by starting them early. a bit like throwing a QB in before he's ready

Edited by SwanderedTalent

12 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

After seeing that the NBA intends to fully nurture these players by having them under their control, prove them with education, and knowing about the leveling up the  NBA has done on financial education to help prevent players from going broke after going pro, do you really think they're overlooking this aspect with this major project? Especially given they've been marking the 2022 draft to be the one where they begin allowing  high schoolers back in the draft.  Also calling Dwight Howard a failure somehow is completely asinine when he's basically a lock to be a 1st ballot Hall of Famer and was legitimately one of the most dominant defensive players of all time, at least say fucking Eddy Curry or something. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Teryor said:

After seeing that the NBA intends to fully nurture these players by having them under their control, prove them with education, and knowing about the leveling up the  NBA has done on financial education to help prevent players from going broke after going pro, do you really think they're overlooking this aspect with this major project? Especially given they've been marking the 2022 draft to be the one where they begin allowing  high schoolers back in the draft.  Also calling Dwight Howard a failure somehow is completely asinine when he's basically a lock to be a 1st ballot Hall of Famer and was legitimately one of the most dominant defensive players of all time, at least say fucking Eddy Curry or something. 

I agree with MK to a certain extent on the maturity aspect, but no amount of college would’ve ever made Dwight act like an adult.

21 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I agree with MK to a certain extent on the maturity aspect, but no amount of college would’ve ever made Dwight act like an adult.

While college can be a great way to mature and become a better and more well rounded adult, it's certainly not the only way.  Because it qualitative, hard to put numbers around a failure rate, but I agree, Dwight Howard is a poor example.  Also, is one year (max) or really 8-9 months at college really going to make all the difference?  I'm skeptical, but I do agree these young adults who jump right into a professional career with money accessible to them need strong support systems.

As far as Lamelo, the 100 million dollar contract is a rumor which most think is total bullshit.  One thing which may help his over number is he and his manager bought an Aussie team which may (no idea on licensing deal) for entry way into whoever he signs with, eventually.  I don't think I would get near Lamelo in the top 10 but it appears someone will.  Still is a high volume, high USG, low percentage scorer but he has good size and skill for a wing, someone will hope they can harness his talent and change his decision making.

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

Not to mention that we’re just talking about him spending a semester here, then playing b-ball for two months and dropping out. He’ll learn and grow more from a year in the G league than that.

Everyone keeps acting like he’ll get a full college experience or even a freshman year anywhere near theirs. He won’t. Spending a year in LA on a NBA prospect dream team making close to a million is also gonna be a pretty great fucking time. 

One can only imagine how much money LeBron left on the table and how much better adjusted he would be had he only spent 5 months of his life playing school in Lexington or Chapel Hill or Durham or Austin. Going pro straight from high school killed his q rating and destroyed his career. Just another cautionary tale of a poor black kid being taken advantage of by the system. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

One can only imagine how much money LeBron left on the table and how much better adjusted he would be had he only spent 5 months of his life playing school in Lexington or Chapel Hill or Durham or Austin. Going pro straight from high school killed his q rating and destroyed his career. Just another cautionary tale of a poor black kid being taken advantage of by the system. 

About $3.50.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

he was going to play at tOSU. no doubt he deeply regrets foregoing those two semesters (if that) in Columbus. 

In my opinion, this is exactly what needs to happen. The NBA draft is 2 rounds. Thats 60 picks between the high school one and dones, existing college upperclassmen, and foreign players. Lets assume the G League starts taking the majority of the top 30 players in HS. That still leaves thousands of high school basketball players to fill out college rosters nicely. Let the HS phenoms that flash early get paid legitimately and begin work on their craft without the charade of pretending they are a student for a year. The Ja Morants of the world will still go to college and keep things plenty interesting. Whether or not Greg Brown plays ball in Austin next year for one season, it won't change my enthusiasm for Texas hoops one way or the other. Having to endure Shaka for another year is far more likely to affect that. 

• Like 2

Once upon a time, the NBA draft was 7 rounds.

Maybe some of you can help me out with this league. I understand the going to school vs the league arguments. Both sides have fair points. 

Having said that, explain the endorsements to me. Take Brown since we all know him. He will make 400k and then get endorsements Take a shoe contract. How many lids in Chicago or Houston can't wait to get Greg Brown sneakers.. Is this more of a locking in of a kid in case he makes it big in the league. What if he fails. Very few fans know who any of these kids are. Will these kids get more exposure in the league than perhaps March Madness. Do they go to this league for 1 year and then go into the draft? 

Are these kids going to sign with agents. You give an 18 year old who is away from home for the first time about 300-400k and how long will it be before that money is gone? For some kids, this may be the right option. I am not sure its a great option for all the kids.

13 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Maybe some of you can help me out with this league. I understand the going to school vs the league arguments. Both sides have fair points. 

Having said that, explain the endorsements to me. Take Brown since we all know him. He will make 400k and then get endorsements Take a shoe contract. How many lids in Chicago or Houston can't wait to get Greg Brown sneakers.. Is this more of a locking in of a kid in case he makes it big in the league. What if he fails. Very few fans know who any of these kids are. Will these kids get more exposure in the league than perhaps March Madness. Do they go to this league for 1 year and then go into the draft? 

Are these kids going to sign with agents. You give an 18 year old who is away from home for the first time about 300-400k and how long will it be before that money is gone? For some kids, this may be the right option. I am not sure its a great option for all the kids.

The way I see it, kids should have options. They shouldnt be forced to go to college, and they shouldnt be forced to go pro. As for the argument that 1 year in college is any more effective than a year in the G League in developing maturity, I dont buy it. VY spent 3 years at UT and blew all his fucking money. You either get it or you dont.

15 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Yep. It’s a future play. They’re not likely to get their own shoe line, but they’ll get some ads, branding, free apparel, etc. however, the primary purpose is when 1-2 of the 10-15 G League kids do become stars, they’ll be locked in to whatever brand first gave them like $500k their first year out of HS. 

23 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Very few fans know who any of these kids are. 

This isn't exactly true in Greg Brown's case.  Dude already has 250,000 instagram followers.  Some of his dunks have millions of views.

Here are the projected top-5 NBA NBA draft picks and their # instagram followers.  Only one stands out: LaMelo Ball, and that isn't because of him as much as it is his family.

186,000 - James Wiseman (projected 2020 #1 pick)

180,000 - Anthony Edwards (projected 2020 #2 pick)

60,000 - Obi Toppin (projected 2020 #3 pick)

5,300,000 - LaMelo Ball (projected 2020 #4 pick)

54,000 - Deni Advija (projected 2020 #5 pick)

Here are a couple of former Texas NBA players for comparison

849,000 - Mo Bamba (followed by Greg Brown)

278,000 - Jaxon Hayes (followed by Greg Brown)

The high school kids definitely know who these guys are. And they are the ones buying shoes and jerseys.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, realgreggym said:

The shoe companies are "investing" god knows how much money in AAU and street agents to get players just to attend their sponsored school. And without any guarantee that they will get something back in the end. And much of the time it appears that it isn't even the player getting the cash. It's the uncle, the street agent, the AAU coach, etc. Getting all of this above board, getting the kid some sort of legal accredited representation and getting the kid paid directly is such a drastic improvement in this jacked up corruption riddled world of college basketball that I can't even imagine it. The notion that the player is now more exposed to be taken advantage of or susceptible to making bad financial decisions is ridiculous. The NBA just cleaned up a giant mess that the NCAA didn't have the balls or teeth to do for themselves. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, realgreggym said:

I would hope that most of the kids that take the G league route sign with an agent; I guess they don't necessarily have to, but I would guess that most of them will since agencies will be banging down their door trying to sign next year's lottery picks.

10 hours ago, realgreggym said:

As far as shoe contracts go, I don't completely understand them as I haven't been able to find many available through a quick google search, but I do know that not every player (much less every rookie) gets their own signature shoe. According to ESPN, only 17 active players had a signature shoe line in 2019 and only 9 rookies have ever had their own shoe (before the 2019 draft): Lonzo Ball (BBB), LeBron (Nike), Stephon Marbury (AND1), Allen Iverson (Reebok), Jerry Stackhouse (Fila), Grant Hill (Fila), Shaq (Reebok), Michael (Nike), and Hakeem (Etonic).  So there won't be any Greg Brown sneakers in Chicago or Houston.  How do shoe companies make money off of these players that they pay $1million per year when they don't have a signature shoe? I have no idea. But they somehow do.  Maybe he signs with Nike and they put him in a Kyrie shoe, he gets drafted in the lottery and has a great rookie season.  Now kids that are Greg Brown fans (friends that knew him, Austin kids that play in the same AAU program, any of his 250,000 instagram followers, fans of whatever team drafted him) are asking their parents to buy them Kyrie shoes because Greg Brown wears them. I don't know.  Rookie shoe deals are entirely based on projection and I would guess that many of them don't go past 2-3 years so that the companies can offer an adjusted second contract rather quickly.

On 4/18/2020 at 9:18 AM, SimonBolivar said:

Or just go pro anytime you want instead. Sorry Player A, I know you came out of nowhere and became an all american in your freshman year but you still have to wait 2 more years before you can make any money off of it.

Why?

Because I like the way baseball does, that’s why. Good enough for you? 

I hear it's looking good but you never know with kids.  A person I know pretty well that seemed really connected really swore by the running back Noah Cain and he's at Penn State.  I'm still amazed at some of the talent we have gotten recently with absolutely no results to show for it.  However, our prior recent talents were quite different by position/skill set, etc.

18 minutes ago, UTDD said:

I hear it's looking good but you never know with kids.  A person I know pretty well that seemed really connected really swore by the running back Noah Cain and he's at Penn State.  I'm still amazed at some of the talent we have gotten recently with absolutely no results to show for it.  However, our prior recent talents were quite different by position/skill set, etc.

I read a post by a guy here who says it's happening, so I'm certain he's coming to UT

• Haha 1

I skipped the last page because of all the bitching, but has the nba said if they are providing dorm-like housing for these guys and other structure, which can be helpful to kids moving away for the first time, or is it here’s your contract now go rent an apartment in LA and learn how to feed yourself and be on your own?  I assume there’s too much of an investment to be that hands off, but is it spelled out?